Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Neck Pain

Old 02-27-2007 | 07:11 PM
In need of an AV.........

Neck Pain

I need some advice....

approx 3 - 4 weeks ago I was doing shrugs. I felt my left trap muscle strain/pull. It was sore as hell for 3 days and the pain went away. 2 Saturdays ago my nech started hurting. The pain is on the left side and base of my neck. I went to the chiropractor (1st ever) on Monday. He told me the muscle was aggravated, etc. He then told me my neck should have a curve to it and it does not. He thinks this from a car wreck 2 years ago.

He then tells me he can fix the pain in 6-8 visits and fix my neck in 30ish vists. That seems high to me. I let him adjust me yesterday and my neck hurts worse today. WTF??

I have an appointment with an orthopedic doc on Thursday for s 2nd opinion.

Here is where you come in...
1st - ever had anything similar, if so what was it, did you do?
2nd - thoughts on chiros?
3rd - anyone ever heard of your neck being straight?

any other general comments as well.
Old 02-28-2007 | 09:09 AM
RIP Dime...

Originally Posted by JWhite1301
I need some advice....

approx 3 - 4 weeks ago I was doing shrugs. I felt my left trap muscle strain/pull. It was sore as hell for 3 days and the pain went away. 2 Saturdays ago my nech started hurting. The pain is on the left side and base of my neck. I went to the chiropractor (1st ever) on Monday. He told me the muscle was aggravated, etc. He then told me my neck should have a curve to it and it does not. He thinks this from a car wreck 2 years ago.

He then tells me he can fix the pain in 6-8 visits and fix my neck in 30ish vists. That seems high to me. I let him adjust me yesterday and my neck hurts worse today. WTF??

I have an appointment with an orthopedic doc on Thursday for s 2nd opinion.

Here is where you come in...
1st - ever had anything similar, if so what was it, did you do?
2nd - thoughts on chiros?
3rd - anyone ever heard of your neck being straight?

any other general comments as well.
Good idea on getting the quote from an ortho. It's always good to get a second opinion when something doesn't seem quite right...That being said, the answer to your questions are as follows:
1. I have had a bad neck my entire life, but it mostly derives from being a stomach sleeper. I sleep with my head to the left (on my right ear), and it's really thrown my neck for a loop. It's even gone to temporary numbness.
2. As a result, I've gone to see a chiro. I've always been skeptical on them, but mine has been fantastic. He's a great doctor honestly caring more about the patients well being rather than collecting your money. Mine uses the activator method, versus the cracking method. The activator method is supposed to help your muscles find the natural alignment instead of being abruptly thrown into alignment via the cracking method. I'm not sure if one is necessarily better than the other, but most I've talked to prefer the activator over the cracking. My
3. I've only heard of your neck being in alignment, not necessarily straight. Your back should have a natural curve, but I'm not sure about the neck. That being said I'm neither an ortho or chiro.

Good luck, i hope you get it figured out.