Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Nausea While Doing Cardio...

Old 10-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Question Nausea While Doing Cardio...

Question for some of the experts here:

As the title says, this is a new development for me.

I've been doing HIT for many years now...So, 2 minutes at a brisk walk, and then 2 minutes at a fast run. Back and forth for close to 30 minutes.

Anyhow, recently, I've developed a weird problem where I just feel like puking as soon as I start my cardio session. It's odd...the sensation I can best describe is that I need to burp up something and if it does not happen, I get nauseous...to the point I am dry-heaving and I need to stop my run.

The intensity of my running has not changed...so, I'm wondering what's going on for the last couple of weeks. Is it my diet? It's not any different...I'm still consuming my usual container of fresh fruit and some yogurt about 2-3 hours before in the morning and then some peanut butter about 20 minutes before I head off to the gym. So, my diet is not different.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Have you tried going on an empty stomach? Not ideal from an energy standpoint but see if the food is the issue.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Have you tried going on an empty stomach? Not ideal from an energy standpoint but see if the food is the issue.
Good idea...I'll try that on Thursday when it falls on a cardio day again.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Also, is it any cardio or just one particular machine/exercise?

I used to get a little disoriented at first on the elliptical machines...
Old 10-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Pregnant? Unpeeled grapes?

or...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_induced_nausea
The following users liked this post:
Yumcha (10-04-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Also, is it any cardio or just one particular machine/exercise?

I used to get a little disoriented at first on the elliptical machines...
It's the treadmill. But, if I switch it up to doing stairs, it seems to not be a factor as much...
Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by svtmike
Thanks, Mike.

I may just go to my doctor to see what he says. It may have something to do with the amount of water/liquids I drink throughout the workout and during the morning...
Old 10-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
It's the peanut butter and stay away from milk products before you work out. That stuff sits in your stomach and slower to digest.

How many days off before you run again? Your body may be adjusting to nothing for 2-3 days, then all of a sudden 30mins of HIC (High Intensity Cardio). May slow it down a bit.
Yumcha (10-09-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
It's the peanut butter and stay away from milk products before you work out. That stuff sits in your stomach and slower to digest.

How many days off before you run again? Your body may be adjusting to nothing for 2-3 days, then all of a sudden 30mins of HIC (High Intensity Cardio). May slow it down a bit.
The yogurt? It's just a small container and I've been eating it as part of my breakfast for years. Same size no less...

As for my workout, I do weights on M-W-F and abs/cardio on T-Th...My rest days are Saturday and Sunday.

I've always maintained a 5-day workout routine and this development is relatively new. The intensity for cardio has been more or less the same with some gradual increases but it has not been anything significant and if anything, I've been running at the same speeds for the last couple of months...
Old 10-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Any chance it has to do with the impending acquisition of an Apple product?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
Old 10-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Above n Beyond

Originally Posted by Yumcha
The yogurt? It's just a small container and I've been eating it as part of my breakfast for years. Same size no less...

As for my workout, I do weights on M-W-F and abs/cardio on T-Th...My rest days are Saturday and Sunday.

I've always maintained a 5-day workout routine and this development is relatively new. The intensity for cardio has been more or less the same with some gradual increases but it has not been anything significant and if anything, I've been running at the same speeds for the last couple of months...
Since you've pretty much shot down my thoughts, I'm going to just rule it as old age and move on.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Any chance it has to do with the impending acquisition of an Apple product?
The correlation is uncanny...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Do you have enough liquids in you? Maybe your body metabolism has changed and you need more liquids/water? The only time I ever felt like throwing up was if I was severely dehydrated...but since you're getting your nausea right when you start, then I don't know? Is the machine you run on super smelly? Or maybe you're super smelly? Have you changed/washed your workout attire? Years of running in the same gear without washing it may contribute to nausea...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mrstak
Do you have enough liquids in you? Maybe your body metabolism has changed and you need more liquids/water? The only time I ever felt like throwing up was if I was severely dehydrated...but since you're getting your nausea right when you start, then I don't know? Is the machine you run on super smelly? Or maybe you're super smelly? Have you changed/washed your workout attire? Years of running in the same gear without washing it may contribute to nausea...
I'm sipping tea usually all morning and then have a bottle of water with me in the gym that I finish by the end of my workout. So, I'm not dehydrated at all...

Sure, I'm feeling nauseous right at the start of cardio so, I have not cleared the bottle of water yet but I still would have consumed a lot of liquid by that point.

No, the machines are not smelly and I wash my clothes regularly.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Try changing (reducing) the amount of liquid you take in before the workout for a few workout days and see if that changes it.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks, Kris. Yeah, didn't drink as much today but still had the problem...but, today was a lifting day so I could pause.

I will go see a doctor soon to see what's up.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Is your tea decaffeinated? Caffeine can not only dehydrate you, but it causes the stomach to produce excess acid that can contribute to acid reflux and nausea.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Is your tea decaffeinated? Caffeine can not only dehydrate you, but it causes the stomach to produce excess acid that can contribute to acid reflux and nausea.
No, it is green tea. So, loaded with caffeine. That is a good point...However, I have always drank tea regularly in the past and so, it would seem odd that I'd be getting this now especially if I've been diligently working out for close to 15 years already without this problem...
Old 10-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
green tea is a natural diuretic too.

Maybe you're getting reflux or an ulcer from other stress related things and its impacting your workouts? If you haven't changed your diet or routine at all maybe you need to start looking at other things.
Yumcha (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Switch things up one at time and see if you feel any better. One day no tea, another no yogurt, another no PB. I wouldn't rule out diet since bodies change over time. I also wouldn't ignore the problem. Sometimes an unusual feeling is the best indicator to a more serious problem. I would mention it to your physician even if it goes away.
Yumcha (10-05-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Took some anti-acid just to see if that was the cause. Went for my regular Thursday run and yeah, still have issues. I didn't drink much this morning either.

Hopefully my physician will be able to find the cause when I visit tomorrow...
Old 10-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
sounds like dehydration to me, I had the same problem so what I started doing was going out on run with this http://www.camelbak.com/Military-Tac...2011-Mule.aspx now granted its expensive but it will last you for quite some time, I sip cool water the whole entire time I workout, and try to keep you workouts 45 mins and under anything over that and your body start making cortisol to bring you back to normal.

Now I got mine through the military and a lot of people look at me funny but I could care less. I just really hate dry mouth while running honestly.

And try doing workouts after you have eaten and maybe pooped, that way you at least absorbed something, but its really sounds like an hydration issue.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks, Ultraman.

Yeah...but, I think we ruled out dehydration since I am drinking stuff all morning and throughout my workout.

Anyhow, went to the doctor's yesterday and he's ordered some scans of my upper body...
Old 10-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Thanks, Ultraman.

Yeah...but, I think we ruled out dehydration since I am drinking stuff all morning and throughout my workout.

Anyhow, went to the doctor's yesterday and he's ordered some scans of my upper body...
You're a little young (assuming your listed age is accurate) for a hiatal hernia to start, but you're doing the smart thing by having it checked out.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:11 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
its not so much a hydration issue since it sounds like you are drinking plenty. i'm assuming your pee is clear?

its probably the amount of calories you are consuming. fruit and yogurt 2-3 hours before hand does not scream to me that you have eaten enough. and the blob of PB 20 min before hand isn't helping. keep the fats and proteins limited to first thing when you wake up so it has time to digest and get out of your stomach. your blood is still sitting in your gut digesting the blob of PB you consumed and not focused on blood flow that needs to go to your muscles and your brain. hi intensity activities need sugar boosts, not proteins and fats. for a quick sugar boost before you workout, a sip or nibble of easily digestible carbs (sports drink, or fruit, or a clif bar (or equivalent)). then go workout.

nausea can be caused by dehydration, BUT you need to be pretty dehydrated for your body to react that way. lack of sugar can also make you feel pretty bad too. hi intensity activities consume sugar quite rapidly over tapping into fat stores (more aerobic based activities). you really only have about 2 hrs of readily available sugars to burn when redlining (that is assuming your glucose stores have been topped off appropriately).

caffeine consumption has not been shown to significantly dehydrate athletes. its minimal at best. plus if you are a regular consumer of caffeine, then your body is already used to it.

only other thing from a physiology stand point, your metabolism has changed a little. so your body's needs maybe a little different. consuming the right amount of food, what type and when are keys for optimal performance.

don't go to the gym on a empty stomach (as a another poster suggested) for that type of workout unless you want to be passed out on the floor.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 10-09-2011 at 03:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TLtrigirl:
wndrlst (10-09-2011), Yumcha (10-09-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
^Great post.

H, I'm still trying to figure out what foods work best for me on my longer, more intense efforts. I have absolutely ruled out peanut butter, though. It's hard to digest at the best of times. Some athletes love it, but I find that it just doesn't sit well if I'm working hard.

As trigirl said, easily accessed and digestible carbs are what your body wants. I've been doing a ton of research since I started training toward a century ride. There really is a lot of trial and error involved because we're all so different. I'm glad you're getting checked out, though, and hope they figure out that it's something simple.
Yumcha (10-09-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Above n Beyond

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
its not so much a hydration issue since it sounds like you are drinking plenty. i'm assuming your pee is clear?

its probably the amount of calories you are consuming. fruit and yogurt 2-3 hours before hand does not scream to me that you have eaten enough. and the blob of PB 20 min before hand isn't helping. keep the fats and proteins limited to first thing when you wake up so it has time to digest and get out of your stomach. your blood is still sitting in your gut digesting the blob of PB you consumed and not focused on blood flow that needs to go to your muscles and your brain. hi intensity activities need sugar boosts, not proteins and fats. for a quick sugar boost before you workout, a sip or nibble of easily digestible carbs (sports drink, or fruit, or a clif bar (or equivalent)). then go workout.

nausea can be caused by dehydration, BUT you need to be pretty dehydrated for your body to react that way. lack of sugar can also make you feel pretty bad too. hi intensity activities consume sugar quite rapidly over tapping into fat stores (more aerobic based activities). you really only have about 2 hrs of readily available sugars to burn when redlining (that is assuming your glucose stores have been topped off appropriately).

caffeine consumption has not been shown to significantly dehydrate athletes. its minimal at best. plus if you are a regular consumer of caffeine, then your body is already used to it.

only other thing from a physiology stand point, your metabolism has changed a little. so your body's needs maybe a little different. consuming the right amount of food, what type and when are keys for optimal performance.

don't go to the gym on a empty stomach (as a another poster suggested) for that type of workout unless you want to be passed out on the floor.
I already mentioned this above and he disagreed.

Also, not totally true on the empty stomach part. I drink a pre-workout drink that requires an empty stomach to work effectively. My last "snack" is around 3pm before I work out around 5:30. No nausea whatsoever and actually the pre drink has about 20grams of protein in it.

On Saturday's my workout is around noon time and the only think I have before then is a protein drink. Plenty of energy and my numbers seem to be steadily increasing.

LOL @ Yumcha giving thank you's to the girls but yet I got shot down with my very same suggestion.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Also, not totally true on the empty stomach part. I drink a pre-workout drink that requires an empty stomach to work effectively. My last "snack" is around 3pm before I work out around 5:30. No nausea whatsoever and actually the pre drink has about 20grams of protein in it.

On Saturday's my workout is around noon time and the only think I have before then is a protein drink. Plenty of energy and my numbers seem to be steadily increasing.

LOL @ Yumcha giving thank you's to the girls but yet I got shot down with my very same suggestion.
Chill dude...must've missed passing it out.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Above n Beyond

I'm chilled....that's why I laughed. I can care less you sexist pig! LOL
Old 10-09-2011, 09:17 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

you are giving your protein drink/pre workout drink plenty of time to digest. plus its liquid...it absorbs and digest much quicker than solids. also is this for weights or high intensity cardio sessions? or both? i was assuming you meant for him to go to the gym first thing in the AM (which is when yumcha goes to the gym) without eating. that's the bad idea part.

it comes down to what the function of the food is suppose to be doing for the given workout. it also depends on what works for some and not for others.

it has been shown with endurance athletes, that number of calories eaten for breakfast correlates to the quality of the training session (a couple of hours later). a good amount of calories like 600-700 for breakfast pending body size, yields improved performance. just bear in mind this is for long cardio session of over an hour or so. i know when i haven't eaten enough, slept enough or hydrated enough during my training sessions. i adjust accordingly.

so it comes down to a mix of things, the individual needs, goal of workout session, type of workout session, and types of food consumed and when they are eaten.

for example, my race mornings i can consume in upwards of 800 to 1000 calories (solids-first thing then consuming liquids during the 60-90 min before start) over the course of 3-4 hours prior to starting my race this includes a couple of cups of coffee too. granted i'm racing anywhere from not quite 5 hours to in upwards of 11 + hours (depending on the race and what kind of day i'm having). then i'm essentially on a liquid diet for the duration of the race (i dont' tolerate solids well and they are too hard to chew and digest).
Old 10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Above n Beyond

I'm almost thinking it's something other than food now. Since OP mentions he's been eating this type of food for a while and the last few weeks has been changing.

OP, what's your height / weight and have you lost any weight recently? Just to rule the existing foods, why don't you switch up what you eat beforehand.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm almost thinking it's something other than food now. Since OP mentions he's been eating this type of food for a while and the last few weeks has been changing.

OP, what's your height / weight and have you lost any weight recently? Just to rule the existing foods, why don't you switch up what you eat beforehand.
I'm 5'8" and weigh 149lbs. I've actually gained weight (10 lbs) but it has been over the course of 6 months due to me changing up my lifting routine and doing more "functional" exercises (i.e. less weight but more reps)...
Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

how much of that wt is muscle?

if you've gained muscle and you haven't adjusted your intake for that increased muscle (which gets hungry), i'm still thinking its intake and timing. fruit and yogurt does not have a lot of calories. have you tried anything different with your routine yet (your food routine, not your workouts)?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
H, I told you that your yogurt and fruit is too little.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

how much of that wt is muscle?

if you've gained muscle and you haven't adjusted your intake for that increased muscle (which gets hungry), i'm still thinking its intake and timing. fruit and yogurt does not have a lot of calories. have you tried anything different with your routine yet (your food routine, not your workouts)?
Most of it is muscle gain.

I'm very thin to start with...And yeah, I do eat nuts and/or peanut butter as well mid-morning.

I am not hungry at all when I'm at the gym.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:40 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Most of it is muscle gain.

I'm very thin to start with...And yeah, I do eat nuts and/or peanut butter as well mid-morning.

I am not hungry at all when I'm at the gym.
so your body comp has changed thus calorie consumption must also change unless you are restricting for whatever reason. the nuts and PB are fine for AFTER your workout. your appetite will be suppressed a little when you are working out. the hunger would only kick in if you were super hungry.

did you change your eating routine in the AM before going to the gym? did that change anything?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

so your body comp has changed thus calorie consumption must also change unless you are restricting for whatever reason. the nuts and PB are fine for AFTER your workout. your appetite will be suppressed a little when you are working out. the hunger would only kick in if you were super hungry.

did you change your eating routine in the AM before going to the gym? did that change anything?
Some good points...I'm not consuming yogurt for a week to see what happens but will stick to my standard container of fruit (today, it is fresh wolfberries and peaches) and then some dry toast (2 slices, texas cut) a bit later.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Some good points...I'm not consuming yogurt for a week to see what happens but will stick to my standard container of fruit (today, it is fresh wolfberries and peaches) and then some dry toast (2 slices, texas cut) a bit later.
put jam on the toast...immediate sugar just to remind your body that you'll be getting going soon. the fruit is fine, you're topping off your glucose stores, the toast and jam 20-30 min before will stimulate your system in prep for usage.
Yumcha (10-11-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, my issue has improved...but, still has not gone away. It now occurs at about the midway point of my run. So, versus right off from the start...

Some progress. Yay...?

Anyhow, the doctor has me up for some tests soon. Going for a urea breath test and then fluoroscopy. Also some routine bloodwork...

Hopefully, I'll get to the bottom of this soon.