Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Intense lower back pain, help!!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Intense lower back pain, help!!

Ok, so last night kinda freaked me out. But some background first.... I've started playing basketball and bike riding again, the latter almost everyday for a while. And I've been drinking a lot too, a few weeks earlier it was almost everyday/every other day or so.

So rewind to last night, I was just sitting there, watching TV at my friend's house after knocking back a silverback (3 parts Red Bull, 3 parts Hpnotiq, 1 part 151, and 1 part of just plain disgusting) and a couple of beers. It was nothing, just felt a slight buzz. 2 hours after drinking all of a sudden my back seizes up like hell and hurts like a bitch! I could barely even move, let alone stand up. I eventually got to my feet but I had to lean forward like I was taking a dump standing up. Intense pain in my lower back area, a few inches and to the left of my buttcrack.

I was told that this could be serious and that my liver might need a good month of recuperation (read no alcohol) or so? It was very all of a sudden, and very painful. I put on one of those Asian icy-hot patches (Salonpas) and took a couple of ibuprofen after the event and it got a little better. Today it got even better.

I was planning on just waiting it out for a few days, sans alcohol to see if it disappeared. If anyone else has any better ideas, fire away
Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
It sounds to me like kidney pain or you pulled your lower lumbar. It's hard to tell sometimes if it's a muscle, nerve or organ pain.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dehydration cramps...

drink a shit ton of water and take some deep breaths man. stress manifests itself in back pain, whether or not you chose to acknowledge it. i get shit like this all the time.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Keep the heat on it, keep the heat on it. Get some Thermacare wraps, best thing you can use, they give eight hours of comfort. Trust me, almost nine yrs from back surgery, Keep the heat on it. And of course the Advil will help.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there's a realistic chance that something's going on with your liver you should see a doctor ASAP. If it's a musculo-skeletal issue with your back you can probably wait it out to see if it gets better. But if the correlation is with with drinking alcohol get it checked out. You don't want to mess around with your liver. And if you do have a problem, the sooner it gets treated the better. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
If you can put pressure on the area of you back that hurts and feel a pain difference it's probably a pulled/strained muscle. I'd put ice on it if the pain flairs up as it's probably inflamed and you want to reduce this as heat will sooth the pain, but actually make it worse. If you can't feel a spot on the muscle or in the area of your back hurting, it's probably kidney pain. Your liver is under the right side of you chest and won't cause lower back pain. If your piss is dark yellow, you have a kidney infection. For all you drank you should be pissing clear.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:55 PM

Well, one and a half days later its now subsided to simply a dull pain, and I continued to use the heat pads so thankfully its not inflamed. Now it hurts slightly only when I sit straight up, then slouch a little. Either way I've abstained from physical activity and alcohol just to be safe. Piss was normal yellow, and nothing hurt when I peed or after I drank liquid yesterday and today.

thanks for all the help, I was just afraid it was something super urgent that needed attention ASAP. it scared me when it happened.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 AM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Well, one and a half days later its now subsided to simply a dull pain, and I continued to use the heat pads so thankfully its not inflamed. Now it hurts slightly only when I sit straight up, then slouch a little. Either way I've abstained from physical activity and alcohol just to be safe. Piss was normal yellow, and nothing hurt when I peed or after I drank liquid yesterday and today.

thanks for all the help, I was just afraid it was something super urgent that needed attention ASAP. it scared me when it happened.
You may want to consider a liver cleanse. Google it up and see what would work for you.

I was recently at a 4-day bachelor party, which was basically a binge-fest of bad beer and bad food. It took me almost a week to recover and I was still lethargic and my back hurt (which is commonly a liver related issue).

I was concerned since I only have one kidney and need to keep it "clean", so I decided to do a three-day liver cleanse (which subsequently also cleanses the kidney) and I honestly feel like a new man. Energized, I sleep SO much better and no more back pain!

There are several cleansing methods out there for varying lengths of time - Do yourself a favor and at least check it out.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
You may want to consider a liver cleanse. Google it up and see what would work for you.

I was recently at a 4-day bachelor party, which was basically a binge-fest of bad beer and bad food. It took me almost a week to recover and I was still lethargic and my back hurt (which is commonly a liver related issue).

I was concerned since I only have one kidney and need to keep it "clean", so I decided to do a three-day liver cleanse (which subsequently also cleanses the kidney) and I honestly feel like a new man. Energized, I sleep SO much better and no more back pain!

There are several cleansing methods out there for varying lengths of time - Do yourself a favor and at least check it out.
wow, thanks a bunch. It looks like a really legit method, not to mention not very hard.

ugh, another strange cause of concern was today... shots, beer and wings once again (so much for holding off for a while) but the back pain has subsided to the point where its almost gone. Admittedly I didn't have that much to drink, but the weird thing was I woke up a little over 2 hours later feeling very refreshed, not drowsy/sleepy at all (for me, this is just plain abnormal) and I just gotta say I feel great. No hangover at all....