Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Increase Metabolism/Healthy Recipes

Old 08-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Making it Happen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Increase Metabolism/Healthy Recipes

First, I finally have decided to cut 20-25 pounds and work out. I've been doing about 40 minutes on the elliptical 6 times a week, and lifting weights 3 times a week. I've read that increasing your metabolism will actually allow you to lose weight much quicker than just a diet lacking calories.

How can I increase my metabolism?

Secondly, I'm already running out of food ideas, I've looked up many websites for recipes, but does anyone have a website with like 100+ meals with the nutrition info (calories, fat, carbs) included on the recipe page? Thanks!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Drifting

Eat more smaller meals for example instead of 3 big ones eat 5 smaller ones spread out throughout the day

Try to do something in the morning before work, I've recently started just jogging a mile to get everything pumping before I eat breakfast
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
^about smaller meals

Didn't you already post about food in another thread? Why not just post there for more replies?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Making it Happen

Originally Posted by Doom878
^about smaller meals

Didn't you already post about food in another thread? Why not just post there for more replies?
not sure, I randomly post in this section every time I get motivated and then don't do shit. Things are different now though
Old 08-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paleo diet.

stop eating grains (this does not mean all carbs) and sugar (this does not include fructose) and you will melt fat off your body.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...mal-blueprint/
Old 08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Race Director

To increase metabolism you must increase muscle.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
paleo diet.

stop eating grains (this does not mean all carbs) and sugar (this does not include fructose) and you will melt fat off your body.

That's some eye opening shit right there, thanks for that.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Making it Happen

Never been one to watch every single detail of the diet, just right now looking for lower fat lower calorie options, every website says a different story. I'm doing 40 min ellipitcal every day where my heart rate is around 170-180 and lifting weights 3 times a week. Some websites say doing high intensity workouts dont work, others say doing slow long workouts dont cut the fat quick enough.

For an average person whose not super iinsane about this stuff, whats the best way to just drop 20 lbs?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Drifting

Eat a lot of veggies get protein from shit like eggs and natty PB/almonds
Drink water

If you like celery&PB you have a winner for a snack
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Team Owner

I don't know how you can't lose weight with high intensity training. You'll burn through calories like nothing. Even in a heavy lifting workout you'll lose weight. It's all about your diet.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Making it Happen

Originally Posted by Doom878
I don't know how you can't lose weight with high intensity training. You'll burn through calories like nothing. Even in a heavy lifting workout you'll lose weight. It's all about your diet.
I'm a health newbie, but every website says something different. Seeing lots of websites saying yeah if you go do an intense workout on the elliptical 6 days a week and cut back your calories, you will at first lose some weight but then just plateau and lose nothing. They are saying for example, if I ate 2800 calories before my metabolism was set up to burn around that amount, but if I go and do a 1800 calorie diet, my metabolism will drop and body will only be ready to burn about 1800 calories, so that you dont lose weight.

i have no clue what the facts are, just looking for a very average workout plan that works. Only need to drop about 20 pounds, and beforehand I didn't work out at the gym, maybe did sports once a week if that, and ate probably anywhere from 2900-6000 calories a day.

Now I'm eating about 2000 calories a day, doing elliptical 40 minutes a day 6 times a week, and basic weight training 3 times a week. Is this enough to drop 20?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Renegade
I'm a health newbie, but every website says something different. Seeing lots of websites saying yeah if you go do an intense workout on the elliptical 6 days a week and cut back your calories, you will at first lose some weight but then just plateau and lose nothing. They are saying for example, if I ate 2800 calories before my metabolism was set up to burn around that amount, but if I go and do a 1800 calorie diet, my metabolism will drop and body will only be ready to burn about 1800 calories, so that you dont lose weight.

i have no clue what the facts are, just looking for a very average workout plan that works. Only need to drop about 20 pounds, and beforehand I didn't work out at the gym, maybe did sports once a week if that, and ate probably anywhere from 2900-6000 calories a day.

Now I'm eating about 2000 calories a day, doing elliptical 40 minutes a day 6 times a week, and basic weight training 3 times a week. Is this enough to drop 20?

There;s no such thing as a quick-fix diet. You need to adapt to a life style change - and more or less - this boils down to what works, what doesn't, and how your body responds.

Fact of the matter, whichever diet, or eating plan, or anything you look at it - ditch sugar - completely and high GI carbs, and shit most grains all together. They spike insulin, and inhibit fat loss.

This automatically will help you reduce FAT, quickly.

Increase healthy fats

Mega increase veggies and fruits.

These are very SIMPLE guidelines, and they are the most EFFICIENT.

Again, read up on the Paleo method of eating.

Frst off man in regards to exercise - ditch the machines. There garbage. Try to make every day's workout different. Go outside and run some "TABATA SPRINTS" - it takes 4 minutes and it's more effective and efficient of a fat burner than 40 minutes of a moderate pace on your elliptical.

I always preach it, so I wont stop now. www.crossfit.com . read it, learn it, scale it if need be - workouts are quick, highly efficient, and you will melt fat off your body combined with proper eating.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Race Director

this is a difficult thing to predict. Every person/body responds differently. Are you dropping fat? If yes, then it will work until your body adapts/plateaus, in which you will need to change things up.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Making it Happen

There;s no such thing as a quick-fix diet. You need to adapt to a life style change - and more or less - this boils down to what works, what doesn't, and how your body responds.

Fact of the matter, whichever diet, or eating plan, or anything you look at it - ditch sugar - completely and high GI carbs, and shit most grains all together. They spike insulin, and inhibit fat loss.

This automatically will help you reduce FAT, quickly.

Increase healthy fats

Mega increase veggies and fruits.

These are very SIMPLE guidelines, and they are the most EFFICIENT.

Again, read up on the Paleo method of eating.

Frst off man in regards to exercise - ditch the machines. There garbage. Try to make every day's workout different. Go outside and run some "TABATA SPRINTS" - it takes 4 minutes and it's more effective and efficient of a fat burner than 40 minutes of a moderate pace on your elliptical.

I always preach it, so I wont stop now. www.crossfit.com . read it, learn it, scale it if need be - workouts are quick, highly efficient, and you will melt fat off your body combined with proper eating.
First I googled GI carbs, but couldnt find a list of foods that are bad that contain GI carbs.

Second, tabata sprints are fine, but are they really more effective than 40 min at a 170 heart rate on the ellipitical? I can't do different things every day because I have bad knees, so I can't do too much running.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Here's a direct link to the routine Rmatic is talking about. Scale it to what you can do and substitute to what is available. If you don't understand the terms, the OP in each thread usually provides links, you can register and ask, or we can help. CF lovers like me and RMatic are always down to help (see the Crossfit thread). I've lifted weights for years doing your routine and I dropped weight and gotten fitter MUCH FASTER with CF.

Try some of these:

“J.T.“

21-15-9 reps of:
Handstand push-ups
Ring dips
Push-ups

Looks easy but your back will be more fried than double the amount of lat pulls. Plus your biceps get a good workout. No need to curl after this, this is fine. And those dips WILL fry your upper body. Since you're an average dude, I'm sure you don't care about being big as much as being fit and looking good with your shirt off.

Want to get some cardio in. If you're at a gym, they should have row machines and treadmills.

Three rounds for time of:
Row 500 meters
21 Burpees
Run 400 meters

IF no row machine, use a cable row machine.

In case you don't know what burpees are, drop down to a floor, do a push up, stand back up in a quick tuck/squat motion, and jump as high as you can. They call these pukees for a reason.

If the above are a little too intense, they already have for you scaled down versions. The ones above are for the Big Dawg, or the best of the best.

Don't worry about plateau. They switch it up enough that your body will keep guessing. Of course your body will get used to doing elliptical 6x a week if that's all you did. But what if some days you did intervals (super fast and then normal every x minutes)?

Bad knees? You can sub something similar.

Also you'll get stronger too on the days you have to do olympic lifts like cleans, jerks, and snatches. Tons of vids on how to do it. Deadlifts, front squats, overhead squats, standing military. You'll strenghten your whole body including your core. The only ab routines you'll see are either situps or L-Sit. No need for leg lifts or bicycles etc since most of the routines make you use your core anyways. No isolation so its a quicker more efficient routine. You can honestly work out in 30 mins and feel 10x better than going to a gym for an hour.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Making it Happen

Thanks Doom, but where is the thread link?

I'm just getting so overwhelmed by so many different articles..some places say you should only do 60-70% of max heart rate which for me is like at 130, i do way more on the elliptical. They say anything higher is actually bad for you. Some places say burning calories is burning calories and the higher your heart rate is up the quicker you are burning the calories.

I'm just not sure what I should be doing, I'm keeping calories around 2,000 now and I figures with any type of exercise the weight should start coming off, but now I'm not sure.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Race Director

First I googled GI carbs, but couldnt find a list of foods that are bad that contain GI carbs.

Second, tabata sprints are fine, but are they really more effective than 40 min at a 170 heart rate on the ellipitical? I can't do different things every day because I have bad knees, so I can't do too much running.
every source of carbohydrate has a GI.....

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

there's a list.

If you cant run, ROW. c2 rower is low impact, and full-body. Elliptical is for women.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Making it Happen

RMATIC how many days a week do you suggest doing tabatha intervals for maximum fat loss, and do you just do 1 4 minute interval or do you do like 20 minutes worth with different exercises.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Race Director

Thanks Doom, but where is the thread link?

I'm just getting so overwhelmed by so many different articles..some places say you should only do 60-70% of max heart rate which for me is like at 130, i do way more on the elliptical. They say anything higher is actually bad for you. Some places say burning calories is burning calories and the higher your heart rate is up the quicker you are burning the calories.

I'm just not sure what I should be doing, I'm keeping calories around 2,000 now and I figures with any type of exercise the weight should start coming off, but now I'm not sure.

Links : www.crossfit.com

Exercise links : http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

Scaling link:

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/

renegade, it's simple.

Crossfit encompasses all aspects of fitness. Gynmastics, calisthenics, plyometrics, power and olympic lifting.

It is meant to form an overall complete athlete opposed to bodybuilders who cant jump a 20'' box, or marathon runners who cant lift 45 pounds overhead...

Workouts should be high intensity , fast, efficient, and done at maximum effort.

That's why so many crossfit workouts are for time .

The workout Doom posted "JT" -seems simple on paper , although Handstand pushups are not easy so most people need to scale them, ring dips are significantly harder than regular bar dips (ratio is 4:1 bar dips vs ring dips) and require a strong core...and after your arm's are so fried pushups feel like you've gained 100 pounds.

I am 165 pounds, @ 7% bodyfat.

Read the link I sent on paleo dieting and carbohydrate intake and sources of food - I posted it earlier in this thread.

Don't fret so much about ton's of different diets and heart rate etc. It's about work output. You want to do as much work, in as little amount as time as possible and encompass all aspects of functional movements.

Where do you live?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Race Director

In all seriousness - I suggest you visit a local CrossFit gym and give it a shot.

I believe your located in Miami?

http://www.rippedfitnesscenter.com/

http://crossfitthreshold.wordpress.com/

http://www.crossfit305.com/

http://www.iamcrossfit.com/

http://www.intensemuscletraining.com/imtcrossfit.html

those are 5, not sure which is closest. After you do a WOD, you'll know what i'm talking about.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Making it Happen

In all seriousness - I suggest you visit a local CrossFit gym and give it a shot.

I believe your located in Miami?

http://www.rippedfitnesscenter.com/

http://crossfitthreshold.wordpress.com/

http://www.crossfit305.com/

http://www.iamcrossfit.com/

http://www.intensemuscletraining.com/imtcrossfit.html

those are 5, not sure which is closest. After you do a WOD, you'll know what i'm talking about.
I do live in miami, thanks! What's a WOD? Lastly those tabitha workouts how often a week do you suggest doing them?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Race Director

RMATIC how many days a week do you suggest doing tabatha intervals for maximum fat loss, and do you just do 1 4 minute interval or do you do like 20 minutes worth with different exercises.
I wouldn't do it everyday - it loses it's effectiveness.

I was just giving you an example.

I workout at my crossfit box - I follow the workouts daily, whatever the may be. It's usually 2 metcons (metabolic conditioning), followed by 1 strength/power - rest - repeat.

metabolic conditioning workout are high intensity, and fast - and usually done under 10-20 minutes - and yes - it's far more efficient than 40 minutes on an elliptical. Only after you do one, will you realize this.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Making it Happen

http://crossfitthreshold.wordpress.com/schedule/

This place is the closest to me, pretty price at $1500 for the year, how many days a week would be optimal to go to their classes? If I do the crossfit along with tabata and eat better this would be the best idea?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Race Director

I do live in miami, thanks! What's a WOD? Lastly those tabitha workouts how often a week do you suggest doing them?
WOD = WORKOUT OF THE DAY

Not that frequent - for example

One day you can do this workout "tabata this"

Tabata pullups (8 rounds = 4 min total, 20 sec on, 10 off)
Tabata pushups (8 rounds = 4 min total, 20 sec on, 10 off)
Tabata situps (8 rounds = 4 min total, 20 sec on, 10 off)
Tabata squats -ass to grass (8 rounds = 4 min total, 20 sec on, 10 off)

Tabata is just an example of a type of efficient met-con....

The next day you can do something like Doom posted from HQ....

you can do this outside renegade :

3 rounds for time :
run 400 meters
25 burpees

(this type of WOD is more running/calisthenic based)

remember : this is meant to be as fast as you can - taking 2 minute breaks takes away the benefit of this type of workout

you rest only as much as you need to suck in some air and keep going....

or if your familiar with kettlebells you can try Helen :

Three rounds for time of :
run 400 meters
21 KB swings
12 pullups

Best advice - visit a crossfit box. then post after your done. Go tonight.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Race Director

http://crossfitthreshold.wordpress.com/schedule/

This place is the closest to me, pretty price at $1500 for the year, how many days a week would be optimal to go to their classes? If I do the crossfit along with tabata and eat better this would be the best idea?
I would follow their program daily - when they prescribe rest, rest - otherwise i'd be at the box daily.

Tabata is a part of CrossFit. Just an example I gave you.

There will be days where you do tabata workouts at your CrossFit box.

Try it out for a month - I guarantee if you eat right and do CrossFit hard for 1 month - you will see results.

There are people out there that may hate CrossFit, and love it....I am a CrossFit fan boy ...I have been working out since 16 years old - between bodybuilding, MMA training, etc - I am not shy to take on new programs. This is hands down the best thing i've done - and since I started 7 months ago i've taken my overall fitness to the next level....

What's better than being able to do 20+ pullups, muscle ups on rings , holding unsupported handstands and cleaning/pressing 200+ pounds and still being able to run under a 7 minute mile?

This is what you can expect if you still to this program seriously.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Making it Happen

WOD = WORKOUT OF THE DAY

Not that frequent - for example

One day you can do this workout "tabata this"

Tabata pullups (8 rounds = 4 min total, 20 sec on, 10 off)
Tabata pushups (8 rounds = 4 min total, 20 sec on, 10 off)
Tabata situps (8 rounds = 4 min total, 20 sec on, 10 off)
Tabata squats -ass to grass (8 rounds = 4 min total, 20 sec on, 10 off)

Tabata is just an example of a type of efficient met-con....

The next day you can do something like Doom posted from HQ....

you can do this outside renegade :

3 rounds for time :
run 400 meters
25 burpees

(this type of WOD is more running/calisthenic based)

remember : this is meant to be as fast as you can - taking 2 minute breaks takes away the benefit of this type of workout

you rest only as much as you need to suck in some air and keep going....

or if your familiar with kettlebells you can try Helen :

Three rounds for time of :
run 400 meters
21 KB swings
12 pullups

Best advice - visit a crossfit box. then post after your done. Go tonight.
Thanks, I'm a college student and $1500 is a bit pricy for me just to lose weight, which is my goal. Can you recommend anything else I can do on my own in a gym or outside?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Race Director

Thanks, I'm a college student and $1500 is a bit pricy for me just to lose weight, which is my goal. Can you recommend anything else I can do on my own in a gym or outside?
"just to lose weight" is the wrong frame of mind.

Yes, follow the workouts the website posts and make due with what equipment you have and scale appropriately.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Making it Happen

"just to lose weight" is the wrong frame of mind.

Yes, follow the workouts the website posts and make due with what equipment you have and scale appropriately.
Ok ill check out crossfit.com and the diet you suggested. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Making it Happen

Just to confirm, I should also be continuing my weight lifting routine if I decide to stop the elliptical and just do some type of crossfit exercie?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Making it Happen

Sorry to be annoying, but I'm just trying to figure out what will be the most effective way to lose weight a week within my limits (cant go to a crossfit gym). I'm reading all of these articles and its driving me crazy. Can anyone give me a cardio sample schedule that you would think would be most effective in fat loss?

I was thinking

Monday- 40 minutes of high intensity elliptical (heart rate around 170-180) and weight training after
Tuesday- Tabata Sprint followed by 30 minutes of low intensity elliptical
Wednesday- 35 minute high intensity interval training on elliptical and weight training after
Thursday- Tabata Spring followed by 30 minutes of low intensity elliptical
Friday- 40 minutes of high intensity elliptical (heart rate around 170-180) and weight training after
Saturday- 35 minute high intensity interval training on elliptical
Sunday- Rest

Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Racer

I'm assuming you currently have a gym membership?

Go to Crossfit site and through the demo videos and help from others at your gym, learn the movements. Off the main site is a scaled version at the BrandX forums, use their scaled workouts until you find you can start to do the main page.

Cut the LSD garbage (long slow distance). There are stories on Crossfit Journal of guys in their 50's who used to be runners. Doing the Crossfit WOD's they are posting faster times than they ever have. Typically the longest run you will do at one time in CF is a 400m run.

If you go balls to the wall, that one WOD is all you have to do that day. You may be done in 5min, or maybe 20min.

Combine it with diet and you will become functionally fit and drop BF% like crazy.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Making it Happen

Originally Posted by Agent0r

Go to Crossfit site and through the demo videos and help from others at your gym, learn the movements. Off the main site is a scaled version at the BrandX forums, use their scaled workouts until you find you can start to do the main page.

Cut the LSD garbage (long slow distance). There are stories on Crossfit Journal of guys in their 50's who used to be runners. Doing the Crossfit WOD's they are posting faster times than they ever have. Typically the longest run you will do at one time in CF is a 400m run.

If you go balls to the wall, that one WOD is all you have to do that day. You may be done in 5min, or maybe 20min.

Combine it with diet and you will become functionally fit and drop BF% like crazy.
I do have a membership at my school's gym. I'm not looking for faster running times etc or anything to do with training for running. I really just want to cut down my body fat as quick as possible and keep it from coming back. The WOD on crossfit usually has stuff that the gym doesnt have like those kettlebells or whatever
Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Race Director

Sorry to be annoying, but I'm just trying to figure out what will be the most effective way to lose weight a week within my limits (cant go to a crossfit gym). I'm reading all of these articles and its driving me crazy. Can anyone give me a cardio sample schedule that you would think would be most effective in fat loss?

I was thinking

Monday- 40 minutes of high intensity elliptical (heart rate around 170-180) and weight training after
Tuesday- Tabata Sprint followed by 30 minutes of low intensity elliptical
Wednesday- 35 minute high intensity interval training on elliptical and weight training after
Thursday- Tabata Spring followed by 30 minutes of low intensity elliptical
Friday- 40 minutes of high intensity elliptical (heart rate around 170-180) and weight training after
Saturday- 35 minute high intensity interval training on elliptical
Sunday- Rest

Thoughts?
This is a pretty stale routine. After a week, your body will adjust. Read this link :

"The Conventional Wisdom approach to fitness is clearly not working! Stress is excessive, weight loss goals are compromised, and many are misguided to pursue narrow fitness goals that are unhealthy.

* Avoid Chronic Cardio (frequent medium-to-high intensity sustained workouts)
* Avoid Chronic Strength Training (frequent and/or prolonged sub-maximal lifting sessions ending in exhaustion)
* Avoid Regimented Schedules (instead, allow for spontaneous, intuitive variation in type, difficulty and frequency of workouts)
"

CrossFit isan't like "hey today i'm going to lift, and do elliptical, and tomorrow I'm going to do CrossFit". CrossFIt is far more intense than anything you will do on your own, and it encompasses ALL ASPECTS of functional movements, whether it's calisthenics, gymnastics or OLYMPIC and POWERLIFTING.

Quit doing your stupid ass dumbbell curls, learn how to deadlift ,squat and clean/prss. These movements promote testosterone, and will slam muscle onto your body, which will increase your metabolism , and in turn, reduce bodyfat.

Originally Posted by Agent0r

BINGO , thanks man
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Making it Happen

I understand Crossfit sounds great, but like I said, I can't afford membership at a "crossfit" gym and therefore don't have the ability to follow their routines.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Race Director

I understand Crossfit sounds great, but like I said, I can't afford membership at a "crossfit" gym and therefore don't have the ability to follow their routines.

this just shows that you have actually taken no time to read the website at all....

you want this to be spoon fed to you?

ok, so you don't have access to gymnastic rings and a kettlebell...

do you have dumbbells, I would imagine so - KB swings can be done with a dumbbell.

all you need is a barbell, dumbbell, pullup bar and your legs and you can do the majority of their workouts.

hey, but whatever floats your boat - enjoy your 40 minute elliptical machine - it keeps the weight section less crowded for men who really want to workout.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Making it Happen

this just shows that you have actually taken no time to read the website at all....

you want this to be spoon fed to you?

ok, so you don't have access to gymnastic rings and a kettlebell...

do you have dumbbells, I would imagine so - KB swings can be done with a dumbbell.

all you need is a barbell, dumbbell, pullup bar and your legs and you can do the majority of their workouts.

hey, but whatever floats your boat - enjoy your 40 minute elliptical machine - it keeps the weight section less crowded for men who really want to workout.
Lol, no understand I appreciate your help greatly, I'm extremely busy doing a ton of things and havent had a chance to fully explore the website yet, but I will take a hard look at it.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Making it Happen

Let me ask you something, directly from their site:

21 L-Pull-ups
15 ft. L-rope climb, 3 ascents

When it says do three rounds, do I do those exercises as fast as I can and then take a certain amount of time for rest (if so how much) and then after I finish that, I'm done for the day and that's enough work to burn fat?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Race Director

Let me ask you something, directly from their site:

21 L-Pull-ups
15 ft. L-rope climb, 3 ascents

When it says do three rounds, do I do those exercises as fast as I can and then take a certain amount of time for rest (if so how much) and then after I finish that, I'm done for the day and that's enough work to burn fat?
yep - for time - meaning rest only as much as you need - not 1 set, and wait 5 minutes - you want to keep your heart rate elevated as much as possible.

Yep - if done properly - that's plenty of work - make sure you warm-up properly .

crossfit warmup : 3 rounds not for time of :
10 OH squats / air squats
10 situps
10 back extensions / supermans
10 pullups
10 pushups/dips

Now i'm assuming you don't have a rope - so you can do towel pullups - which is the scaled version - check out the BrandX scaling under the section "GET STARTED" on the home-page.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Race Director

And read the link I sent from marksdailyapple.com about dieting and carbohydrates.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Team Owner

I forgot the link.

Renegade, I strongly suggest you follow the link that RMatic put for "scaled routines". The hardest level of these routines is the same workout posted at crossfit.com. Crossfit.com is more for those that have been doing it as there is no scaling present. The BrandX which is the scaled routine is the one you want to try since you don't want to kill yourself. You'll see that there are levels from easiest (buttercups, puppies) to hardest (Big Dawg). For the first few days, go buttercup. It might be easy for some of the routines. If that's the case then try to go to puppy.

Now it might be tempting after some time to go up again to pack but then you might have a workout that takes 20 mins on puppy, take 40 on pack. Metcon is most important as you want to be continuously active through the whole workout. The less break the better. You'll see in the videos through the crossfit.com web site some people doing a WOD non-stop. That is the optimal method.

The only days that you will take breaks are power days. You'll have a day that you'll be doing just max lifts or sets of 3 on a lift. Obviously, you'll be more power tired than gassed. Those are the days that you can hit the elliptical.

As for the schools, yes the CF gyms are $$$$ and have no type of sophisticated equipment like the LA and Bally's of the world. But you go to the gym to workout not pay for their equipment lease. Being that you don't have that luxury but do have the UM gym, just do what I did. Try to complete a WOD at your gym. It will be difficult and you might have to hog a treadmill and move weights around, but sometimes you'll go a few days without touching a weight. That's why I said screw gyms, bought some equipment, and just work out at home. It's cheaper than a gym and open 24 hours. BTW, that gym in the Falls has per day rates for $20. Say you want to get a taste and be pushed, you can do those occasionally. They might not follow the CF routine but they'll have a similar one.

Just to summarize:

1) I want to lose weight and look good.

2) I go to http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/ to get my workout

3) I do 8/6 WOD:

Buttercups:
12 Beginner or assisted pull ups
3 Beginner rope climbs
9 Beginner or assisted pull ups
2 Beginner rope climbs
6 Beginner or assisted pull ups
1 Beginner rope climbs

4) My gym doesn't have rope. Post or read forum to get ideas how to sub

5) Take towel with me to the gym to sub rope

6) Occupy pull up bar and do WOD

7) Finish in good pain. Have a little energy left. Hit the elliptical, rower, treadmill, etc. (preferably rower)

8) It's Saturday, do Saturday's WOD (Friday was a day off)

Last edited by Doom878; 08-07-2009 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Increase Metabolism/Healthy Recipes