Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

I'm way underweight, how to get fat?

Old 02-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm way underweight, how to get fat?

ok, so I'm 6' tall and weigh between 135 and 142 .

I take hour long martial arts classes once or twice a week, and I skateboard about 1-2 miles 4 days a week between my car and my classes at school.

I try to eat at least twice a day, but sometimes I don't get a chance, or am too lazy or something.

Today so far I only ate 1 chipotle burrito, and am going to chow down as soon as I get off work becuase I'm hungry as hell.

anyways, I tried drinking weight gain shakes for a couple weeks when I started my martial arts classes again and I gained about 3 pounds (143), but I just weighed myself and I lost 5 lbs in the last 3 days .

what should I eat to gain weight? muscle, fat, I don't care, I just want to weigh at least 150. I look anorexic .

what kind of food should I eat to not get a heart attack either. I can usually eat a pretty decent amount of food throughout a day, but I don't want to eat 5 meals a day, I just want to eat 2 or 3 times some good food.

help?

I'm not a girl btw.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for starter:
ice cream, peanut butter
Old 02-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by huckleberry
for starter:
ice cream, peanut butter
lol, I've had tons of ice cream and chocolates over the past couple days, that's when I lost the weight .

but seriously, I've killed my body enough as it is with junk food. think eating steak or pasta or both is any good for starters?
Old 02-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Turn 30... j/k

I was 20 and weighed 114 at 5'9"

I can't help you a lot here, but I did make gains by eating 5 meals a day instead of 3. Stay with balanced food. I did the 3500 calorie shakes with ice cream - i think it only boosted my metabolism.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:09 AM
ric
Safety Car

You may simply have a body type and bone structure that will never pack it on - but there are a few things to think about:

Most folks who live at higher altitudes tend to go through a natural process of weighing less than they would at ocean level; the body's self-protective metabolism tends to avoid packing on weight at a higher altitude simply because it forces the heart to work harder. Ask some folks who've moved to Denver what happened to their weight - I know I lost 5-10 pounds.....You may discover that if your career or schooling calls for you to live at a lower altitude, you will "suddenly" pack on about five to ten pounds, generally fairly equitably distributed.

You're only 20, and your body metabolism may simply not have fully matured yet; your weight may be lagging behind your height and bone structure. I would be surprised if, between now and your late 20's you don't pack on about ten to fifteen pounds. But even at that, your basic metabolism may just be that of a thin person.............so the bottom line is that "underweight" is a subjective term, and you may well be at the right weight for your metabolism and body frame. Wishing it otherwise ain't gonna make it happen......and working with your efficient body metabolism to build a taut and highly responsive muscle structure can have its own rewards in your martial arts studio and elsewhere..............

And going back to your basic metabolism..... if you have a light bone structure and/or a very efficient body metabolism, you could eat steak and potatoes, eat pounds of chocolate and hook yourself up to an IV prepped with Protein shakes and still not gain weight or "bulk up", your genetic structure simply will not do that.

Muscle bulk does not immediately translate into muscle strength; you can develop a significant and healthy body without "bulking up". Chances are, if you do that, your muscle definition will be superb, despite a lack of bulk. Given your age and the fact that you may not be through "developing" an adult, mature body, you may not be able to achieve that for a few years - but I wouldn't give up on your workout regimen. I realize we live in a culture where muscle bulk is attractive, but if ya can't do it, ya can';t do it, and the alternative, which is to achieve a superbly trained, very efficient, very taut body/muscle structure is not such a bad alternative.

For whatever it's worth, at your age, I weighed 120 and was 6'-0", I grew a final 1.5 inches in my early twenties and "bulked up" to a whopping 145 by my late twenties. I now weigh in at a staggering 155-160. I have virtually no body fat, not surprisingly. That said, I've participated in a wide range of sports in my adult life, work out regularly, and according to my trainer, have one of the best set of "defined muscles" he's worked with; mat my age (57) I am in excellent condition, with above-average strength and endurance. My 31-year old stepson, who is 6'-5" and weighs 290 pounds, works out three times a week and coaches soccer, envies me my muscle definition. So, ultimately, it all lies in a point of view.

So life's a tradeoff....

As for looking anorexic - avoid baggy clothing, it actually hangs on a thin person's body and makes them (us) look thinner and more emaciated. Trim-fitting clothing works best. Watch for shirt collars on dress shirts; make sure they fit; watch the sleeves, to make sure that on a long-sleeved shirt, the sleeves fit (cover over the wrist). Baggy pants just emphasises that you have a skinny waist and (probably) a skinny butt; snug/trim jeans and pants actaully look better because they are more tailored. Sports jackets should be tailored, even trimmed in at the waist - and watch the standard jacket/suit cut; they are designed for the "chubbies" of the world, and tend to bag out from the armpit down. If you have the money (when you need to build a professional or business "wardrobe"), look at British, French and Italian cut menswear; it tends to be more tailored, and favors a thin frame. Brooks Brothers suits were designed for chubby/fat American businessmen.................... Watch the "accessories" - a massive clunky watch may just call attention to a thin wrist..... (I wear an Omega deVille, thin as a dime, and very elegant, but not bulky). Wide-knot ties call attention to a thin neck, as do fat sprawled collar points..... If you wear glasses, get ones that have a modest frame, as a massive frame can diminish the bone structure of your face.

You've already started one course of action that can be rewarding, which is to take up a sport where your slender frame is not a disadvantage, but may be an asset. Martial arts are great for that, as so much of the action calls for precision timing and swift movement; you have less to move around, but probably just as strong a muscle frame as your beefier opponent. Fencing, which I studied, is also great for thin guys; the target area is reduced. Swimming, track, downhill skiing - all reward, at least to some degree, the guy who is slender vs the fullback.....

I've learned, at 57, to work my height and thin-ness to my advantage; it tends to give me a "command presence" in certain business settings that I can use to shape or control the context of a meeting or interview. Taller folks do have some innate assets in achieving a "command presence", and at 6'-0", you are at the edge of tall (and you may not be through growing, as I noted, I added 1.5" during the first half of my twenties).
Old 02-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Luke 1:37

Dude, you gotta eat more than twice a day if you're going to gain weight. You need to start eating a lot of foods that are high in calories and fat. You may just have an insane metabolic rate which really screws some people over who want to get bigger, but aren't focused enough. You seem to be doing a lot of cardio, which probably doesn't help the cause. Main thing I think, but I'm not an expert, start eating more food.

btw. maybe you have a tape worm...jk
Old 02-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

1) You don't want to get fat. Then you'll just be a skinny dude with a lot of fat on him. You will look like absolute shit.

2) Eat big. Eat everything you can get your hands on, all day long.

3) Lift big (see workout sticky for a routine).

4) Sleep big.

If you man up, stop your "I don't want to" or "i'm too lazy" whining, and get to fucking work you can do amazing things for yourself.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Eat peanut butter, for example, and other foods high in GOOD fats, oils, and protein. Literally have a couple spoonfuls at breakfast.
Considering you're exercising, you must make sure you consume enough calories to keep you throughout the day, and at a point where you're not burning more calories than you're consuming (=weight loss).
Try working out and lifting weights. Add some muscle. It weighs more than fat, will bulk you up, and fill out your body. With that though, you must consume more calories!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Safety Car

everything ABreece said PLUS

Discussing steroids is against our rules here, sorry.

Suggesting someone as noobish as ghost_master do them is just plain irresponsible. - ABreece
Old 02-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Safety Car

thanks everybody for the help.

a big thanks to ric for the clothing suggestions, as I'm rebuilding my wardrobe in the next few weeks.

lol @ steroids. If I'm going to get in shape I'm going to do it naturally.

As an example of how much I eat, in the last hour and a half I ate a footlong subway sub (turkey and bacon on italian bread w/ swiss cheese, mayo, lettuce and onions) and a burrito from chipotle (half steak, half chicken, rice, black beans, corn salsa and cheese) and had about 3 8-ounce glasses of water. Of course this was my first meal of teh day as I usually wake up after 10 am, and I usually chow down before I go to sleep at around 2 am.

my martial arts class is pretty demanding. usually by the end of the class I will hardly be able to do a jump kick I'm so tired. The skateboarding thing isn't very demanding at all just something to let you know I don't sit around all day.

Thank you all again for the ideas.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
thanks everybody for the help.

a big thanks to ric for the clothing suggestions, as I'm rebuilding my wardrobe in the next few weeks.

lol @ steroids. If I'm going to get in shape I'm going to do it naturally.

As an example of how much I eat, in the last hour and a half I ate a footlong subway sub (turkey and bacon on italian bread w/ swiss cheese, mayo, lettuce and onions) and a burrito from chipotle (half steak, half chicken, rice, black beans, corn salsa and cheese) and had about 3 8-ounce glasses of water. Of course this was my first meal of teh day as I usually wake up after 10 am, and I usually chow down before I go to sleep at around 2 am.

my martial arts class is pretty demanding. usually by the end of the class I will hardly be able to do a jump kick I'm so tired. The skateboarding thing isn't very demanding at all just something to let you know I don't sit around all day.

Thank you all again for the ideas.
Start getting double meat on your subs and burritos, and eat that same meal two more times per day, while hitting the gym HARD.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

whoops didnt know.. my bad :o
Old 02-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by esCarbonie
whoops didnt know.. my bad :o
It happens.

If i were a good moderator there'd be a sticky thread with rules and such...
Old 02-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ABreece
Start getting double meat on your subs and burritos, and eat that same meal two more times per day, while hitting the gym HARD.
damn that could get expensive... I'll try to do that at least twice a day for a while and see what happens.
I'm kind of on a busy schedule, so I don't have too much time to go to a gym, how sufficient would pushups, situps and stretches be for that kind of thing? I've got a lot of slow time at work when I'm not doing anything. If I could do that stuff then, that would be perfect.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
damn that could get expensive... I'll try to do that at least twice a day for a while and see what happens.
I'm kind of on a busy schedule, so I don't have too much time to go to a gym, how sufficient would pushups, situps and stretches be for that kind of thing? I've got a lot of slow time at work when I'm not doing anything. If I could do that stuff then, that would be perfect.
If you're worried about cost, you might have to start eating dirty. McDonald's double cheeseburgers are $1. There's 460 calories in each, with 25 grams of protein. Down 5 a day Or learn to cook. Chicken and tuna are pretty cheap. So are some cuts of beef. Buy it, cook it, eat it, repeat. You get bonus points for that because stuff you cook at home is not nearly as bad for you as McDonalds

Pushups situps and stretches are going to do absolutely nothing for putting on mass. Hit the weights and hit them HARD.

Three hours a week to get to the gym is not a lot of time. I work and go to school full time and can fit it in without much trouble- and i do absolutely nothing on the weekends.

If you really want this to happen it will. If you don't, you'll find an excuse to stop and you'll never get anywhere. Everything is in your hands - either you find a way to do this, or you don't.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:41 AM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
im 6'3'' , 172.

tuna is good, PB is the shiznit.

im on a 2 - week free membership to EA Club. Im in the same boat and am moving to florida

in a month.

im definately continuing my "getting into shape" phase in FLA.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:03 AM
Race Director

Lift heavy. Eat big.

5-6 meals a day..

Load up on the carbs, protein, and healthy fats.

And above all , hit the gym.

In the case like yours, where you say you lose weight while eating junk food, i woudlent worry so much about quantities, but i still recommend you stay away from shitty food.

Whole, healthy foods will provide you with way more energy, and will defintely help you gain weight more then any bag of chips and box of cookies will, all that will help you do is gain fat.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

wow that is like unhealthy skin. I am 6 foot and weigh like 150ish and consider myself 2 skinny and I somehow lost weight last year and grew an inch
Like the others said eat more exersize more. Do more lifting than cardio work cause cardio will make u lose weight. Eat some fast food and go big. Get liek triples at Wendys yum!! . I eat fast food like 3 times a week.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm here in spirit...

I feel your pain, man! I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm 5'11" and at about 140~143 (on a good day). I was going to the gym 2 - 3 times a week last year but I kind of got lazy. I'm about to hit the weights again pretty soon. I was starting to notice a difference in my body's cut a bit but I actually lost a couple pounds after I first started.

One thing is for sure though, you can be thin and use it to your advantage. I can do it with clothing. At work, I dress business - business casual. Clothes make all the difference in the world. Like ric said clothing that is more tailored to your build will make a dramatic difference. Try on some clothes that really fit your build and you'll see. Try on the whole outfit. Make sure it's comfortable though, if it's not, you won't "feel" like you look good. When you feel like you look good, you will also appear more confident.

Even though you've met me, I carry myself completely different when I go out or when I go to work and put on my game face. My job is freakin' boring as hell though until I have to yell at an unreasonable patient/customer, business associate, or employee.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

So my last roommate was in the same boat as you. He was 5'11" and skinny. We always made fun of him because he was the little guy in the group. I told him one day if he wants to put on weight eat what I eat every day and you'll gain weight. He claimed he ate big, and he did at certain meals but not every meal everyday. Unfortunately he lasted about a week eating what I ate and gave up, it was too hard for him to ingest all the calories.

That's all you're missing from your routine, FOOD. Calories In > Calories Out...you'll gain weight.