Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

I need your help!!

Old 03-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I need your help!!

I need your help guys. I started to talk about this in Whiskers drinking thread, but I figured a seperate thread would be of help.

Quick background
I used to be relatively active guy until med school and then i slowly crept up to 225lbs (up from 180 in high school) and it wasn't muscle weight. I would eat whatever and drink quite often (and heavily!) Toward the end of med school and the year afterwards I got my head out of my ass and got into the best shape of my life. I was down to 175-180 and ripped. I wore the tight t-shirts and everything. I was the "musclehead" guy you saw at the bar. Well, residency started and it became harder and harder to watch what I eat...when you are tired and hungry you eat whatever you can get your paws on. Now I about 190lbs.

I don't look bad. People make fun of me because I think I look out of shape. Fine, i dont look like a fat slob like other people but my pants are tight and I don't feel comfortable. I fluctuate 5lbs but that is about it.

OK....
so the question is (whew...that was long)
I cant build up the willpower to be like I used to be. I love to eat...oh man that is the hardest part. Although, my diet isnt that bad it isn't that great either. I don' like comparing what I do to what other people do because the average joe is just really bad with dieting/exercising etc. I have cut back on drinking permanently because i am getting to old for that shit.

How to I build the willpower again? I have a full plate right now
1) wedding ...planning etc. The wedding is in Chicago, fiance in NY ,..yo get the picture
2) bought a house which i a remodeling ...takes a lot of time
3)Residency...which kicks your ass

I need to cut some weight before I get married. I would like to ripped. Going to the gym is the easy part....it is the lifestyle, eating changes I cant seem to tack down.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know that was long, sorry. But it is something I am wrestling with everyday.

Old 03-18-2006, 06:29 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
I said in my weight loss thread that the biggest motivation is seeing results. Loose 10 LBS and you will get back into the mindset again. Eat less, better foods and exercise once a day. The drinking is a killer, you eat more bad foods when drunk (I know).
Old 03-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Loseit
How to I build the willpower again? I have a full plate right now
1) wedding ...planning etc. The wedding is in Chicago, fiance in NY ,..yo get the picture
2) bought a house which i a remodeling ...takes a lot of time
3)Residency...which kicks your ass
When it comes to motivation/willpower, there is very little we can do for you. I can tell you that my motivation is securely centered around self hatred and jealousy. Most people would say that isn't healthy, but it's what works for me. What does it for you could be completely different. It all comes from within. You need to find whatever it is that makes you want to do this and just fucking DO IT. Quit being a pussy, quit making excuses, and get to fucking work.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:20 PM
It's Major. Boy.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've been through med school and are now doing your recedency. That's some tough shit. I think if you give your diet the same kind of importance in your life, you should have no problem getting back into great shape.

If you're real busy, the trick is to cook 1 week's worth of food on your day off. You can just pop it in the microwave and be ready to eat. I do that right now. I cook food that will last me 4-7 days. It takes planning and some getting used to. The first few days are hectic but you get the hang of it pretty quick.

Also, it comes out to being alot cheaper than eating out. For example, 16 large chicken breasts cost me $25-30. That's enough to cover portions of lunch and dinner meals for 8 days. The average meal at a fast food restaurant is around $6-10. I cook rice, baked potatoes, fish, etc. Just be creative and you should be good to go.

P.S. I have a book on nutrition. It's a PDF format. Give me your e-mail addy and I'll send it to you.

Last edited by roughrider; 03-18-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Ok, this is day one of a good diet!
I did great.
pleeeeeeez god make me eat good again!
Old 03-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
The lord will steer you away from donuts.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Originally Posted by Whiskers
The lord will steer you away from donuts.
it's actually french fries and bread. Mmmmmmmm.....breeeaaaaad.
...and chocolate chip cookies
Old 03-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Race Director

People can only tell you what to do, you actually have to do it though.

There isant much to be said, if you REALLY want it, you will strive for it.

If youve had it before, it will not be hard to get again.

Figure it like this...you can either be lazy , make excuses, eat improperly, whichever it may be, or prepare meals ahead of time, get into the gym more, and prove to yourself that you can accomplish your goals.

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

Put a piece of paper up somewhere you look constantly, and write "NO EXCUSES" .
Old 03-21-2006, 11:21 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by roughrider
You've been through med school and are now doing your recedency. That's some tough shit. I think if you give your diet the same kind of importance in your life, you should have no problem getting back into great shape.

If you're real busy, the trick is to cook 1 week's worth of food on your day off. You can just pop it in the microwave and be ready to eat. I do that right now. I cook food that will last me 4-7 days. It takes planning and some getting used to. The first few days are hectic but you get the hang of it pretty quick.

Also, it comes out to being alot cheaper than eating out. For example, 16 large chicken breasts cost me $25-30. That's enough to cover portions of lunch and dinner meals for 8 days. The average meal at a fast food restaurant is around $6-10. I cook rice, baked potatoes, fish, etc. Just be creative and you should be good to go.
he's got a point; if you consolidate the work, it's simpler. You can make your own prepackaged meals to live on through the week, especially while cooking for one. As an alternative, I've gotta believe that the Big Windy has an array of fine alternative grocery stores that feature good/healthy pre-made meals. Pick your way through a Trader Joes or Whole Foods/Fresh Fields sometime and see what appeals. Even a lot of their deli foods are non-traditional and healthy.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:26 AM
ric
Safety Car

Just to confirm - Whiskers is right; alchohol provides cheap calories that do nothing but add weight; the sugars in most alchohol are quickly synthesized and metabolized. And - few bars feature "healthy snacks"; they're in the business of selling drinks, so they provide salty snacks that encourage thirst. Simple formula, but it works for them, not your waistline.

Might try shifting your dietary patterns by eating a large breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner with a healthy snack inbetween each.... the biggest spur to overeating is that feeling of being hungry. A simple apple at 10:00 AM can result in your eating more carefully at lunch.......... my wife makes huge batches of her own "trail mix" of walnuts, almonds, raisins and a handful of soy nuts. Easy to pack, easy to eat, cheap to make, keeps forever....
Old 03-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

thanks a lot guys!

i definately need to start preparing meals ahead of time. That is great idea.
I can carry around "panic paks" of food. I get hungry reaaaaal quick. Then look out, i'll eat anything!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

btw, day 2
been a good boy.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:43 AM
It's Major. Boy.

Originally Posted by Loseit
thanks a lot guys!

i definately need to start preparing meals ahead of time. That is great idea.
I can carry around "panic paks" of food. I get hungry reaaaaal quick. Then look out, i'll eat anything!

With the prepared meals, it becomes a no brainer. You don't have to think about what you want to eat. It's waiting for you in the fridge or lunch pack. Get into a schedule or routine where you don't have to think, you just do it. If you take your schedule or routine seriously, it just becomes a part of your daily life. You just begin to follow it naturally after a few days.

Also, don't be too strict. Once a week, have a nice cheat day or cheat meal.