Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

HIIT vs Low intensity cardio?

Old 06-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Keep at it....
Old 06-06-2006, 06:25 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by masterproge
I am weighing myself every Tuesday, and my results on the scale are.

"365.7" lbs.

Just in case anyone was in interested.

Thanks
wow man! That's awesome! Keep it going!

Almost 30 lbs. in just a few weeks... great pace you're keeping man.

-Alex
Old 06-07-2006, 09:43 PM
We are watching you.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by agranado
wow man! That's awesome! Keep it going!

Almost 30 lbs. in just a few weeks... great pace you're keeping man.

-Alex

Interesting enough, it is not hard for me to lose weight.

But, I'm going to stick with this untill I am at 185 lbs.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting enough, it is not hard for me to lose weight.

But, I'm going to stick with this untill I am at 185 lbs.

Thanks
When you're as large as you are it comes off very fast and very easily. The smaller you get the harder it'll be, but you've got a long way to go before it becomes tough.

Keep up the good work.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:57 PM
We are watching you.

Originally Posted by ABreece
When you're as large as you are it comes off very fast and very easily. The smaller you get the harder it'll be, but you've got a long way to go before it becomes tough.

Keep up the good work.

Well, when it gets tough, I will diet and excerise even harder.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Have camera, will travel

Keep up the good work.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Have camera, will travel

Well, when it gets tough, I will diet and excerise even harder.

Thanks
How's the excercise coming? Remember, the weight training is every bit as important as the cardio, maybe more so. It'll preserve as much muscle as possible.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:49 AM
We are watching you.

Originally Posted by waTSX
How's the excercise coming? Remember, the weight training is every bit as important as the cardio, maybe more so. It'll preserve as much muscle as possible.

My only ambition is to be very skinny, I'm not concerned with muscle.

Saying that I am, would not be honest. I've been really big for many years, now I'm going to find out how being really skinny feels.

Might sound strange, or improper. But motivation in my world, is few and far between.

Being "healthy", has never been my motivation. It is only a perk.

That is the total truth. Hate it or love it, LOL.

But, to answer your question. I'm not doing any weight traning, yet. I have to wait until I have enough money to buy the equipment. Yet, while I wait, I've been doing my stationary bike, and that is going fine. I can't manage anymore than 10 minute HIIT sessions.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Suzuka Master

....But, to answer your question. I'm not doing any weight traning, yet. I have to wait until I have enough money to buy the equipment. Yet, while I wait, I've been doing my stationary bike, and that is going fine. I can't manage anymore than 10 minute HIIT sessions.

Thanks
You may find it easier to join a gym than it is to buy equipment. Personally I find its easier to burn more calories on an elliptical machine or a treadmill than on a stationary bike. I think that's true because you're working both your gluteal and leg muscles on those machines whereas a bike only works your legs. Also, the machines will count the calories for you and you'll usually have lots of attractive women to look at for motivation.

Although some people think it's easier to lose weight when you start I've found the opposite is true. It takes a while for your cardiovascular health to shape up to the point where you can excercise continuously for an hour or so on a treadmill or elliptical machine without tiring out. I've found that once you cross a certain threshhold, say 20 minutes or so, extending the length of your exercise another 20 or 30 minutes gets to be easier.

Eventually you'll get to the point where you can burn ~ 1,000 calories per hour without getting particularly tired. At that point you'll find that the weight comes off much more easily, especially if you head to the gym at the moment when you're hungriest of all. Doing an hour of rigorous aerobic exercise will kill your apetite for awhile and allow you to delay eating your next meal for some time. Before you know it the weight will start to come off without having it seem like you're dieting. It just becomes a matter of being habituated to rigorous excercise and watching how much you eat.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:51 AM
We are watching you.

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
I've found that once you cross a certain threshhold, say 20 minutes or so, extending the length of your exercise another 20 or 30 minutes gets to be easier.

Eventually you'll get to the point where you can burn ~ 1,000 calories per hour without getting particularly tired.
May I ask?.

How much did you weigh at your highest?

Walking and standing up, is very hard to do when you weigh, as much as I do.

Let alone, riding a bike, or running for 20 minutes.

To be honest, the exercise is really the last thing on my mind. I mean for me to go, to 1700 cals. a day, from about 6000 cals. a day, as been extremely hard. Plus me drinking around 2 gallons of water a day, does not really help me not eat as much. Just makes me not thristy. For instants, I drank one gallon of water, in around an hours time. However, in that hour, I could have eaten, hmmmmmmm, at least 2 bags of chips, 2 dozen cookies, and maybe even a whole pizza. I've done it before. I just wish me drinking the water, would fill me up. Because I am SO hungury. ALWAYS, it seems. But, like I said, I will continue, no matter what. I'm not giving up, only to look back from a year's time, and regret.

But my biggest problem is this.
It is very easy for me to just simply starve. Just not eat anything.

It is dang near impossible for me to just eat SOME, of a dish, or meal.

Any advice?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Have camera, will travel

My only ambition is to be very skinny, I'm not concerned with muscle.
Saying that I am, would not be honest. I've been really big for many years, now I'm going to find out how being really skinny feels.

Might sound strange, or improper. But motivation in my world, is few and far between.

Being "healthy", has never been my motivation. It is only a perk.

That is the total truth. Hate it or love it, LOL.

But, to answer your question. I'm not doing any weight traning, yet. I have to wait until I have enough money to buy the equipment. Yet, while I wait, I've been doing my stationary bike, and that is going fine. I can't manage anymore than 10 minute HIIT sessions.

Thanks
You should be very concerned with it. By losing a lot of weight without doing every thing you can to avoid losing muscle mass at the same, you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot. You'll mess with your basal metabolic rate, making it more difficult to keep the weight off. You also won't look as good as you hope to.

Take it from someone who's been on the front lines. The part you're doing now is the easy part. It's keeping the weight off that is the challenge. I've been where you are. Please read the Clarence Bass site I linked above for more info. Even if you only do push ups, chins and free squats, that's better than nothing.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:49 PM
We are watching you.

You should be very concerned with it. By losing a lot of weight without doing every thing you can to avoid losing muscle mass at the same, you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot. You'll mess with your basal metabolic rate, making it more difficult to keep the weight off. You also won't look as good as you hope to.

Take it from someone who's been on the front lines. The part you're doing now is the easy part. It's keeping the weight off that is the challenge. I've been where you are. Please read the Clarence Bass site I linked above for more info. Even if you only do push ups, chins and free squats, that's better than nothing.

Easy?

You think so?

And I am going to be doing weight training, just have to get the money first.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 10:33 PM
We are watching you.

Smile Weekly Results

I weighed this morning, and the scale reports.

361.8 lbs
Old 06-24-2006, 12:19 PM
We are watching you.

Smile Results

I didn't get a chance to weigh last Tuesday, I was out of town.

But, I just weighed and the scale reports.

" 347.8 " LBS

Thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 04:20 PM
We are watching you.

Question Loose Skin

Does anyone know, if I will have loads of loose skin when I get to my desired weight?

I'm starting the weight training very soon, and I do my crunches.

Some people say because I'm 22 I will not have loose skin. Other say that if I excerise, I will not have loose skin.

SO, needless to say I require advice.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Have camera, will travel

Easy?

You think so?

And I am going to be doing weight training, just have to get the money first.

Thanks
MP, I've been where you are. I didn't have as much weight to lose, but, trust me, losing is the easy part. Long term maintenance and keeping the weight off is the real challenge. Within 5 years, most people who lose a substantial amount of weight have gained it all back. That's just fact.

The key is to develop good habits and make life style changes that you can live with. You can't view this process as a temporary thing, and then slide back into your old habits once the weight is off. That's nothing more than a recipe for disaster. You have to do this for life. Keep reading and keep excercising, because the excercise will be the most important habit you develop. I cannot overstate this. You have to develop a regemented excercise-based lifestyle, along with good eating habits.

If you can't afford a gym membership, you can do movements like pushups, pullups, standing free squats, lunges, step movements and others. These are all resistance movements that are very effective and much better than doing nothing at all. Also, a set of dumbbells is very inexpensive, and you can do many excercises with them.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Have camera, will travel

Does anyone know, if I will have loads of loose skin when I get to my desired weight?

I'm starting the weight training very soon, and I do my crunches.

Some people say because I'm 22 I will not have loose skin. Other say that if I excerise, I will not have loose skin.

SO, needless to say I require advice.

Thanks
MP, check your PM box.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Have camera, will travel

I didn't get a chance to weigh last Tuesday, I was out of town.

But, I just weighed and the scale reports.

" 347.8 " LBS

Thanks
It sounds like the weight is coming of nicely. Keep it up.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:15 AM
We are watching you.

Results

The scale reports,

343.8 LBs.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 07:54 PM
We are watching you.

Results

Weekly Results as the scale reports.

" 337.4 "

Thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Weekly Results as the scale reports.

" 337.4 "

Thanks
I was just reading through this and wanted to congratulate you. Seems like you're doing a great job...keep it up!

Anyone got any tips for me to tighten up in less than three weeks? haha...I've just gotten back into lifting recently. I'm going on vacation in a lil less than three weeks and just wanna tighten a up a lil bit if possible....
Old 07-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
I was just reading through this and wanted to congratulate you. Seems like you're doing a great job...keep it up!

Anyone got any tips for me to tighten up in less than three weeks? haha...I've just gotten back into lifting recently. I'm going on vacation in a lil less than three weeks and just wanna tighten a up a lil bit if possible....
Not gonna happen in 3 weeks.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Not gonna happen in 3 weeks.
I know

Maybe just a lil....
Old 07-18-2006, 03:52 PM
We are watching you.

Weekly Results

I am not sure what happened, but.

" 335.1 "

Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Too Legit to Quit

Keep it up man... some weeks are better than others. Congrats on the loss so far.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
We are watching you.

Weekly Results

The scale reports,

" 326.8 "

Thanks
Old 07-26-2006, 06:25 PM
We are watching you.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

9 pounds in one week, that sounds like a too much.

Weird?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 07:17 AM
We are watching you.

Results

"326.4"

The scale reports.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2006, 11:03 PM
We are watching you.

Results

My scale reports.

"302.2"

Thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 02:40 AM
Suzuka Master

My scale reports.

"302.2"

Thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Registered

Wow, keep it up masterproge.

I have been struggling to lose just 35lbs. You have inspired me to try harder. It's hard for me because I live with my parents still and they buy a lot of junk food eventhough I tell them not too. So, I find myself alone in my house bored and hungry nobody to tell me not to eat the oreos, chips, cereal (cocoa pebbles), etc... and I don't buy my own food because I was going to school (took this semester off) so I didn't have a job. I have been applying for jobs all over, but to no avail because I have no experience.

I am 19 turning 20 in November, 5'11" and weigh 225lbs. I want to join the Air Force ASAP but at my height I have to weigh at the most 190lbs. Also, I'm going to have to be able to run 2 miles in 18 min, 45 situps in 2 min, and 30 push ups in 2 min. Right now, I can run maybe half of a lap at the local track.

Anyway, like I said, I am going to try harder. masterproge, Whiskers, and Amir are truly inspirational. Any tips for me would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:05 AM
Registered

I'm going to start posting weekly results like masterproge to motivate me not to quit.

225lbs
Old 08-28-2006, 04:28 AM
We are watching you.

Results

I know I have not been posting, but my computer died.

I finally got another computer so, I am back.

Weekly Results.

289.4lbs

Old 08-28-2006, 04:41 AM
We are watching you.

Originally Posted by cl_jay

I have been struggling to lose just 35lbs. You have inspired me to try harder. It's hard for me because I live with my parents still and they buy a lot of junk food eventhough I tell them not too. So, I find myself alone in my house bored and hungry nobody to tell me not to eat the oreos, chips, cereal (cocoa pebbles), etc... and I don't buy my own food because I was going to school (took this semester off) so I didn't have a job. I have been applying for jobs all over, but to no avail because I have no experience.

I am 19 turning 20 in November, 5'11" and weigh 225lbs. I want to join the Air Force ASAP but at my height I have to weigh at the most 190lbs. Also, I'm going to have to be able to run 2 miles in 18 min, 45 situps in 2 min, and 30 push ups in 2 min. Right now, I can run maybe half of a lap at the local track.

Anyway, like I said, I am going to try harder. masterproge, Whiskers, and Amir are truly inspirational. Any tips for me would be appreciated.

Well, one thing that I found really strange, is that one can exercise to much to quick. I would suggest exercising everyday, after you get up ,but before you eat ANYTHING.

I do not do a ton of exercises, I simply do alot of bending and stretching.
As well, as lifting weights. But again, don't exercise to long. Only for about 30 or 40 minutes.

Stretching burns alot of calories. I asked my doctor about this, she said that, the process in which the body go through to rebuild the tissues, burns the calories.

As for food tips, stay away from soda and refined sugars. I imagine alot of people would loss most of their unwanted weight, if they would stop consuming these products alone. But easier said than done.

However, and I am a good example. When you want something bad enough, there is not a whole lot, that is going to stop you.

Thanks, Masterproge
Old 08-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by cl_jay

Tips:
1. Start eating smaller meals throughout the day, 5-6 times a day, with meals checking in at about 300-400 calories per. Eating more frequently makes it easier to stick with the plan, and it keeps your blood sugar stabilized. Stop eating cookies, candy, sodas or any other sugar-laden products. They are poison and will not get you where you want to go.
2. If you're not excercising, start. Start by doing weight training three days a week, along with some sort of cardio three days a week. Start slowly and build from there. Do not go out too fast, or you will lose interest. Do web searches to find out more.
3. Decide to do it and stick with it. If you have days where you don't do so well, get right back on the horse the next day. Nobody's perfect. Just don't let one bad day tank your whole plan. Consistency is the key. If you stick with it, you will lose the weight.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Have camera, will travel

Well, one thing that I found really strange, is that one can exercise to much to quick. I would suggest exercising everyday, after you get up ,but before you eat ANYTHING.

I do not do a ton of exercises, I simply do alot of bending and stretching.
As well, as lifting weights. But again, don't exercise to long. Only for about 30 or 40 minutes.

Stretching burns alot of calories. I asked my doctor about this, she said that, the process in which the body go through to rebuild the tissues, burns the calories.

As for food tips, stay away from soda and refined sugars. I imagine alot of people would loss most of their unwanted weight, if they would stop consuming these products alone. But easier said than done.

However, and I am a good example. When you want something bad enough, there is not a whole lot, that is going to stop you.

Thanks, Masterproge
Good job. What's that, about 60 pounds now?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:42 PM
We are watching you.

Good job. What's that, about 60 pounds now?
I have no idea what you are talking about, lol.

Thanks, Masterproge
Old 08-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Have camera, will travel

60 pounds of weight loss. Am I missing something?

EDIT: just checked back in the thread. Looks like it's closer to 100 pounds. Congrats! Keep it up.

Last edited by waTSX; 08-28-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:28 PM
We are watching you.

:)

60 pounds of weight loss. Am I missing something?

EDIT: just checked back in the thread. Looks like it's closer to 100 pounds. Congrats! Keep it up.
Over a 100 pounds, get it right man. lol, j\k
Old 09-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Banned

Proge lost 9 pounds 1 week, and then 20 pounds over a span of 15 days... If he's legit, he's my hero

I weighed 160 2 months ago, am now 142. I want to get down to 130.

I, too, will start posting weekly results until I reach my goal of 130 and 10% body fat.

btw, I'm 5'6.

Quick Reply: HIIT vs Low intensity cardio?