Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Good? Bad?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good? Bad?

I'm Far from an expert or have any clue about health and fitness but recently I started my own little program. I had never really eaten breakfast before and typically get home around 6ish and don't eat dinner until 7-8ish.

So to lose some weight I started just walking 20 minutes in the morning. Eating huge breakfast (oatmeal, banana, glass OJ, hard boiled egg and a bagel with peanut butter). I then eat a normal lunch(nothing healthy really) and then for dinner instead of a meal I snack at night(bagel, yogurt, banana etc)

Basically try to jump start my metabolism in the morning and gradually scale it back as day goes on. I've also cut out soda/pop and drink water. And have lost 28lbs in like 2-3 months.

My question, is this bad for me?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
How do you feel? Plenty of energy? No cravings? Not grumpier than usual? Sleeping well?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Feel awesome. Tons of energy. Better mood everyday. Sleep like a rock. Cravings at first but once body got used to eating heavy in morning and eating light at dinner it was easy.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:00 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Great job on the weight loss. If that is working for you i don't see any issues. I try to eat several times per day, like every couple hours. Eating smaller but more meals keeps your metabolism(or is supposed to) always going.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I do something very similar and it really helps keep my weight in check. Breakfast is definitely my heaviest meal of the day, I usually have a small snack around 9:30 or 10, then a decent lunch at 11:30. Dinner for me is usually around 5:00 and I cook a normal family dinner, but eat in moderation at dinner.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this method. It seems to be working for you! Congrats on the weightloss!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Great job on the weight loss Jonesi Eating a healthier lunch would probably allow you to eat a lighter meal for dinner, but just my . If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesi
I'm Far from an expert or have any clue about health and fitness but recently I started my own little program. I had never really eaten breakfast before and typically get home around 6ish and don't eat dinner until 7-8ish.

So to lose some weight I started just walking 20 minutes in the morning. Eating huge breakfast (oatmeal, banana, glass OJ, hard boiled egg and a bagel with peanut butter). I then eat a normal lunch(nothing healthy really) and then for dinner instead of a meal I snack at night(bagel, yogurt, banana etc)

Basically try to jump start my metabolism in the morning and gradually scale it back as day goes on. I've also cut out soda/pop and drink water. And have lost 28lbs in like 2-3 months.

IMO, yes and no. Obviously, the overall results are wonderful and you are to be commended.

Here's the rub ... processed foods are still part of your lifestyle. I absolutely abhor diets, intake restrictions, etc. The key is WHAT you eat, not how much or even when. The human body has the capability of controlling itself when it doesn't receive undue influence from modern chemicals.

Start reading the labels. Is your bagel overly processed or natural? What about your peanut butter? Are you eating a wholesome steel cut oatmeal or the prepackaged junk? If you aren't already eating a healthy brand of greek yogurt, give it a try - the protein is off the charts.

Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans/peas should be on the top of your list. Meat and dairy in conservative amounts. Eggs are great as long as your cholesterol numbers are solid.

Definitely stay FAR away from soda. There isn't anything good inside those bottles. Save the pop for an occasional cocktail or ball game. One a week is fine, anything beyond that isn't recommended.

Want to lose even more weight, sleep better, feel better, etc. Kill the caffeine if you haven't already. You will eliminate mood swings and most likely lower your blood pressure.

Again, you ARE doing great. The fact you took charge and that you are looking for additional room for improvement is HUGE. Move toward a more "wholesome" approach and you will soon see that our modern processed foods are largely to blame for the majority of today's self-induced diseases.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:46 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
I agree with the processed foods and soda. Don't try to eliminate them altogether at once. Find one non processed food and see how you like it. Then replace a processed food with a non. You can do this a little bit at a time and before you know it, you have a healthier menu of items.

You can eat crap once in a while, just in moderation.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Any other exercise besides the 20 minute morning walks?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
The most dangerous fat is that above the waist (beer gut). Sit-ups, crunches and even something as simple as touching your toes, can be very beneficial. Regardless of popular thought, sweat does NOT add to the results. Do these exercises indoors with the A/C at a comfortable level and a fan blowing on you ... feel free to turn up the MTV, VH1 or radio to mind-altering levels, it makes it more fun and time flies. Doing them for just 5 minutes per day is plenty. The most important point is to do the walking and exercises EVERY day, don't skip on weekends, holidays, etc. Try to always work it into your schedule.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:00 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
the actual sweat does add to fat loss... but the fact that you are sweating usually means you are working harder... which in reality, is burning more fat then somebody who isnt.

in the same environment of course.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 10-04-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Whatever works and congrats!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Any other exercise besides the 20 minute morning walks?
nope, nothing! But I have a lot to lose. i'm pretty luck at the moment. I'm sure I'll hit a brick wall soon. Which 1) i'll have to eat better and I honestly have no idea how to eat right or what to look for so I'm gonna need some serious guidance (thanks tampajim i'll be back for more help!) when it comes to this.. and 2) increase my exercise a Lot more..
Old 10-04-2011, 11:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
That's pretty dame good for that amount of exercise. I feel like I have to do 45 minutes of cardio or something before I start to see any results.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesi

If it's working, keep doing it! If you're dropping significant weight quickly that you are unconfortable about, you'll know right away something is off. It's all about tweaking your diet/workout to see what works best for you.

Is it bad for you? Only your body will be able to tell you. If I were you, I'd eat smaller meals, 5-6 throughout the day to keep the metab going rather than 1 huge meal, 1 medium, and 1 small but that's just me. You definately want to have a good breakfast and a vitamin to start your day off. Somehow I only have a protein shake in the morning, then banana at 10am and still able to hold 200lbs - 13% BF. I eat 3 more times throughout the day though.