Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Getting Back on the Bike

Old 12-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Talking Getting Back on the Bike

Note: For the short version, simply skip the first paragraph.

From the age of 11, I obsessively rode my bicycle because it was the only way for me to get around without my parents driving me and thus, was my only way to taste true freedom. I rode it so much that I burned through three odometers, one logging 1,700 miles and the other over 3,100 before each of them kicked the bucket. In total, I estimate I probably put somewhere in the realm of 6,000 to 7,000 miles on one bike alone and because of all the hills around here, I got into the best shape of my life. By the time I was in high school, I could easily do 45-50 miles without batting an eye. Cut to June 14, 2003 when I got my driver's license. No longer was the bike my preferred method of transportation...I had a CAR!! The bike gathered dust in the garage until it finally got moved to the storage room, lonely and forgotten. As a result, I quickly fell out of shape and haven't ridden more than 1/4 mile in the past seven and a half years. I tried a few years ago but couldn't leave the neighborhood without risking a heart attack. It was only then that I realized how in shape I had truly been and how lazy I had become. It was at that time I also hit my heaviest weight; just shy of 230 pounds. The car had spoiled me...big time. In 2007, I was short on cash and I sold my beloved '99 Gary Fisher for $175, a move I sorely regret three years after the fact.

Recently, I've been getting the urge to get back on the bike. I'm not sure why but this started several weeks ago and the urge is only getting stronger. I've lost a bit of weight (down to 210 or so) but would really like to get rid of this 4-months pregnant look I've got going on as well as the moobs.

My dad has offered me his practically untouched Gary Fisher Sugar 3 which I have accepted. If memory serves, it's a 2001 model and has probably seen no more than 50 miles since new. I like mountain bikes because of how they ride even though I spend 99.9% of my time on the road and they seem to not pick up nails and get flat tires as often as road bikes do. It's going to need a good servicing (obviously) as well as a few other touches like lights and a speedometer.

I'm going to start riding as soon as possible and have chosen Portland's Springwater Corridor as my training ground. It's a former rail line so it's mostly flat and paved, as well. I need to start out gradually so hills are out of the question for the moment. Once I get back into it, I'll hit my old stomping grounds but for now, it's baby steps por moi.

I'll post pics of the bike as soon as it's pulled from storage and serviced.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Great to hear you are getting back on a bike. Check out the Official Bike Discussion thread. Lots of info, people talking about riding, etc. in there.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by '06 Arctic
Great to hear you are getting back on a bike. Check out the Official Bike Discussion thread. Lots of info, people talking about riding, etc. in there.
???^can't find the Official Bike Thread.

Anyone have a clue where/how to look for this?

Nevermind. It is The Official Bicycle News and Discussion thread

Last edited by Mr Marco; 08-03-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW. Im in the same boat as you! It's been about 8yrs since Im not driving a bike (mountain bike). I used to put like 5000km in 2 month school vacation. I really want to get myself a nice bike right now. kk got to go check out craiglist lol maybe I will find something nice and In good price ... hmm i wish ;(