Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Frustrated. Need tummy help!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Frustrated. Need tummy help!

Ok - I know 95% of AZiners are men, but do any of you have any knowledge or expertise in how to get rid of that stupid, stubborn belly pouch women get after having babies??

I'm completely amazed at how well my body has recovered from having 2 babies (especially after Izaiah), but of course nothing is perfect! Hopefully around March or April I will be having some "elective surgery". I'd love to add on a mini-tuck just to tighten up my skin a bit, but I'm bothered by that dumb pouch that most women still have after being pregnant. I had two c-sections, which makes it even harder for me to achieve my goals.

Any ideas on how to reduce that? I've had one consultation with a surgeon who basically said that the only way to get rid of that is to have lipo. Do you think that's true?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
work on your abs it will go away
Old 08-05-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
When exercising, there is no way to spot reduce one area.
you'll lose fat all over, keeping your proportions the same.
so, if you're pear shaped, you'll stay pear shaped, albeit a thinner pear.

Since, I'm not a woman(i dont think I am) and have never had a c-section, I dont know if that causes your abdominal muscles to be weaker...you can strengthen them by working on your abs!

no one is perfect. and I think surgery is the easy way out.
keep exercising and eating right!
The following users liked this post:
DeathMetal (08-06-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Exercise and Diet (low sodium)

Maybe look into low doses of HGH/HCG for 6 months before going under the knife.

Last edited by JBlueCLS6; 08-05-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
you'll lose fat all over, keeping your proportions the same.
so, if you're pear shaped, you'll stay pear shaped, albeit a thinner pear.

Since, I'm not a woman(i dont think I am) and have never had a c-section, I dont know if that causes your abdominal muscles to be weaker...you can strengthen them by working on your abs!

no one is perfect. and I think surgery is the easy way out.
keep exercising and eating right!
Rewind. I'm not having surgery to lose weight. I'm actually very happy where I'm at and love my shape. I work out regularly and am rather toned. The main surgery I'm having is breast augmentation, which obviously can't be had through exercise (and is irrelavant to this conversation, which is why I didn't mention it). The tummy tuck is just a small add on, which also cannot be otherwise accomplished. If my small amount of excess skin hasn't retracted 3.5 yrs later, chances are it won't magically shrink back into place on its own.

When you have a c-section they split your muscles to get to/remove the baby, so it's very difficult to regain what you once had. This brings me to my point - normal sit-ups and crunches don't yield the same results after you've had your abdominals split. I'm looking for something a bit deeper, I guess.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by PrissyJayne
Rewind. I'm not having surgery to lose weight. I'm actually very happy where I'm at and love my shape. I work out regularly and am rather toned. The main surgery I'm having is breast augmentation, which obviously can't be had through exercise (and is irrelavant to this conversation, which is why I didn't mention it). The tummy tuck is just a small add on, which also cannot be otherwise accomplished. If my small amount of excess skin hasn't retracted 3.5 yrs later, chances are it won't magically shrink back into place on its own.

When you have a c-section they split your muscles to get to/remove the baby, so it's very difficult to regain what you once had. This brings me to my point - normal sit-ups and crunches don't yield the same results after you've had your abdominals split. I'm looking for something a bit deeper, I guess.
Post pics afterwards
Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 AM

you obviously have your mind made up about the tummy tuck. Good luck!

Pics of post surgery!!!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I have my mind made up about surgery - BA and hopefully a mini-tuck - but I do not want lipo. I've been planning for/saving for this since I had my 2nd baby, which has now been 3 1/2 years.

Just wishing I knew how to reduce the bubble. I don't know how to explain it. I have good muscle under there, my stomach just isn't FLAT like it used to be. Anyone with a wife who knows what I'm talking about??
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Consider biking or rollerblading or swimming... Fun activities and will definitely shape the lower core stomach muscles.

At home, just lay on your back, extend both of your legs straight (and together) up at about 45 degree angle... Bring your arms to your chest and hold them ere, elevate your back slightly so your neck is off the ground. Now with the legs do at least 10 reps, bring your legs down, never touching the ground, and back up to 45 degrees. After 10 reps hold at 45 degrees for as much as you can. Relax.. give your self 5 mins, and go on again.

Do this daily. Your muscles will hurt and ache, but that will tighten up the area lovely.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 AM

core exercises for the win
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
Consider biking or rollerblading or swimming... Fun activities and will definitely shape the lower core stomach muscles.

At home, just lay on your back, extend both of your legs straight (and together) up at about 45 degree angle... Bring your arms to your chest and hold them ere, elevate your back slightly so your neck is off the ground. Now with the legs do at least 10 reps, bring your legs down, never touching the ground, and back up to 45 degrees. After 10 reps hold at 45 degrees for as much as you can. Relax.. give your self 5 mins, and go on again.

Do this daily. Your muscles will hurt and ache, but that will tighten up the area lovely.
Much more on track with the replies I was looking for. Thanks for the specifics.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
+1 for core exercises.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by PrissyJayne
Much more on track with the replies I was looking for. Thanks for the specifics.
ya know, you could have just asked straight up........instead of beating around the bush! [{}]
Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Good for you for getting the work done.

My girlfriend had ba done after three kids. Nothing too big, she just wanted to look like she did before breastfeeding. As she describes it, she wound up with old tea-bags afterwards.

Now she's awesome looking and very happy with the results.

Can't help you much with the belly part - not an issue for her. She did put on a little weight once about a year ago but it all goes to her hips and ass. We work out together and she took it all off again pretty quick.

Just exercise and keep the body fat ratio down.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
This portion of the stomach can only be minimized in women; this portion will almost NEVER go flat without surgical enhancements.

Why? As a woman, this portion of adipose tissue is there for functional purpose during pregnancy...so you're born with this feature, and there's only so much you can do to minimize it. Some women have it to a greater extent than others, just as much as other anatomical features can be equally variant person-to-person. My wife is freaking FIT and she still has a "pouch".

Core exercises will only "lift/distort" this portion of the stomach, I cannot begin to describe my loathe of those whom preach the fallacy of spot reduction even to this day (no disrespect to anyone here).

Minimization will occur by calculating your maintenance calories then scaling back accordingly to be running at a consistent deficit. Cardio need only be added if you wish to accelerate the process, and if you're pressed for time with the kids, 20-minutes of REAL HIIT will be all you need. You can further enhance the efficacy of the caloric deficit if you employ dietary strategies such as CKD or Carb Cycling; FYI: low-carb plateaus rather quickly.

Good luck with the surgery.

Last edited by DeathMetal; 08-06-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Spelling error
justnspace (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
+1 for core exercises.
Originally Posted by ton8383
work on your abs it will go away
No, it will NOT go away. If anyone can show me how it will "go away", I'll stick a sharpie in my pooper and timestamp it. The additional muscle causes localized compression and distortion of the adipose tissue from its original form...that's all.

Originally Posted by JBlueCLS6
Maybe look into low doses of HGH/HCG for 6 months before going under the knife.
HCG is total bullshit. The HCG diet calls for dangerous levels of fasting and forces the body to work around starvation modes; if I ate 20% of my maintenance calories and took droppers of saltwater I'd get the same damn effect.

I'm assuming your recommendation comes based off fo personal experience, no? You wouldn't just throw some water-cooler info as a recommendation to a member seeking help regarding their health, no?

Originally Posted by justnspace
This.
justnspace (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Deathmetal: The fat loss will be all over the body, the core exercises however are healthy, efficient and increase tone in that region. That's why I recommended them. I do not consider them a panacea by any means.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:27 PM

DM ftmfw!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Deathmetal: The fat loss will be all over the body, the core exercises however are healthy, efficient and increase tone in that region. That's why I recommended them. I do not consider them a panacea by any means.
Ken, I know dude, my response was more targeted towards ton8383, I should have broken the quotes apart.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
only thing I can tell you in my experience in dealing with working as PT in the military is you are just going to have to do some intense workouts for minimum of 6 weeks, I dealt with a lot of women who had the same issues as you had and the only way to get them back to their original shape was to do a lot of Calisthenics, basically the same thing we did every day in basic training, but we had them do it every day starting them out light till we could actually push them till they couldn't do anymore, but it will take some time nothing will be fast.