Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Fitness Experts-Help

Old 11-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fitness Experts-Help

Okay so Im 18 years old and 5 foot 8 and 160lb....I work out at the gym and have some muscle, but the only fat I can find is in the stomach area, where there is a decent amount, nothing you can see when a shirt is on, but I want to make it as flat as possible, meaning I need to lose weight and I think then the weight will come off from the stomach area first as thats where it all seems to be.

The question is, will this be an effective method... I used to eat 2-3 meals a day with snacks in between and a lot of chocolate, along with eating at 11-2 at night at least twice a week since Ive been in college.

Here is what Im doing now, eating 2-3 meals a day, with no snacks in between, a strawberry w fruit juice smoothie, and no snacks in between the day except if its healthy such as a banana. I am doing cardiovascular at a minimum of 3 days a week. It is 30 minutes which will be upped to 45 in a week on the elipitical machine, Im doing it at a pace of burning 950 calories an hour. Then I will be doing 10-15 minutes of on and off sprints right afterwards. I do all of this after working out with the weights, monday, wed, fri.

With these reduced eating junk habits, not eating late at night, weightlifting, and doing this cardiovascular will I lose the weight, and if so how long 2-3 months?

Any other machine better than the elipitcal for cardiovascular? Any suggesitons are appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 11-03-2004, 02:13 AM
i like orange juice

your really tryin to lose it arent you..GL with it man....

i already got rid of that section below my sotmach by just switchin to one meal a day along with a shake at the gym(which has the nutrients and stuff) and nothing but water for about a month, then just doing my basics, 1 miles on the tread mill, 3 sets of 8 of curls w/ 40lb barbells....then standing calf raise....and some other basic back and chest exercises.....you should have a machine at the gym that focuses on that area of your stomach....ill see if i can snap a pic of it and show you..this machine does wonders for a lot of people
Old 11-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

alright cool, id like to know what machine it is
Old 11-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

I was told it isnt good to do cardio right after you lift? Is there anything wrong with this for real? I was also told that I shouldnt be doing a 30 min cardio machine and then sprints after, since one is anaerobic and one is aerobic, and they should be on seperate days? Does it really matter that much?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
no machine can help you lose fat from a specific area. there is no such thing as target training for fat. an ab machine isn't going to help you cut any fat from your stomach any more than anywhere else on your body. it will increase the muscle mass though...which helps burn fat everywhere on your body.

your workout plan sounds good. one thing I'd mention is that, if possible, its better to eat more meals than less, assuming the same overall caloric intake. instead of 3 meals of 600 calories per meal, 6 meals/snacks with 300 calories each would be more beneficial for losing weight.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by Renegade
I was told it isnt good to do cardio right after you lift? Is there anything wrong with this for real? I was also told that I shouldnt be doing a 30 min cardio machine and then sprints after, since one is anaerobic and one is aerobic, and they should be on seperate days? Does it really matter that much?

I would say neither of these matters. I always run after I lift, and sprints are fine after the elliptical.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

stress, school, work and lots of sex helps me loosing weight.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Alright thanks, its hard for me to get small meals in with low calories cuz im in college, but i try to eat a roast beef or tuna sub every week, and I eat some pasta. Im cutting out all chocolate, so since my eating habits have improved and then doing cardiovascular I should lose something
Old 11-03-2004, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the tuna diet will work
Doin' da crack shuffle

Concentrate on your diet as well as excercises.

Start eating a lot more fruits and vegetables instead of meats.

Make sure you still get your DRV of protein though.
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

You're being told too many myths. First of all, you can't control where you gain or lose weight, wherever you lose it first is where you lose it and vice versa. You can focus on doing midsection exercises, but that won't get rid of fat there, it'll only add muscle there, understand? Secondly, eating late at night is not the cause of weight gain, it's consuming more calories than you burn that causes weight gain, so if you used up 3000 calories for the day, but consumed only 2500, even if your last meal was at 3 AM, weight gain would be impossible, understand? I wish I could tell you everything I knew, but I haven't got the time to write a book so understand the 2 things I've just written and don't believe the myths like that cardio after weight training myth. If you run into some questionable advice, just ask me, and I'll give you the correct answers if I know them.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Thanks guys for the help, I need to go to publix and stack up on some fruits and vegetables. Batin what do you think of my workout plan to lose weight in my first post, which is basically eat more healthy, lift, then after lifting to 30 min on elliptical and 15 min of sprints?

BTW: I know its a little off topic, but I wanted a daily vitamin to take, not for weightlifting or mass, I mean just for health wise like a centrum, anyone suggest and good vitamins?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Revelation 3:15-17

Renegade:
My advice is to run 3 or 4x a week for about 15minutes. You don't have to haul @ss, just run at a good speed or pace. The most important thing you must do is eat healthier. I have cut my body fat percentage by eating healthy. Don't eat any Dairy products, no rice, no sweets, no fastfood,
no beer, and definately no late night snacks. Always read the Value on the back of things you eat.
Make sure they are not high in Carbs, Low in fat, and low in sugar. I gaurantee that you will lose that stomach and have a surfboard instead.
Seriously, if you work out and train as hard as I do you must eat healthy and eat a lot of protein.
The fact is, without proteing you will not get bigger. 1gram or 2grams of protein, if you can per pound in your body. You weigh 160lbs = 165grams of protein a day. ;-)
Old 11-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Yeehaw

BTW: I know its a little off topic, but I wanted a daily vitamin to take, not for weightlifting or mass, I mean just for health wise like a centrum, anyone suggest and good vitamins?
gnc mega men
Old 11-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Damn how should I get 165 grams of protein in my body every day, I get maybe 50-60 now? How many calories should I be eating around per day? And can anyone guess what a 6" philly steak and cheese may be, I eat that a lot.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Anyone have suggestions for the best fruits/vegetables in terms of healthiness.... I have plums and bananas in the dorms but thats about it
Old 11-03-2004, 10:40 AM
Flap.

you dont need that much protein, no one does, just keep the meals small and often to make your body not get hungry...

if you want the quick and dirty way i can share the wrestling secrets... but for sustained results you will need to put in time at the gym doing cardio, i would suggest just plain old running but wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt, and alternate between long distance, (2-5 miles) and lots of sprints / stair running.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:45 AM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

1 gm of protein per pound of bodyweight is another myth. There has been a lot of proof that excess protein is either excreted or converted to bodyfat. Excess protein also leads to calcium loss(weak bones). Protein is not a bad thing, too much of it is a waste however.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:47 AM

Damn how should I get 165 grams of protein in my body every day, I get maybe 50-60 now? How many calories should I be eating around per day? And can anyone guess what a 6" philly steak and cheese may be, I eat that a lot.
I'm 5'8 and weigh 190lbs and I consume 200-205grams per day of protein.
This is what my meals look like:

Wake-up (6:10am eastern time):
1 protein shake (I use Pro-Complex, it contains 55grams per serving).

Breakfast @ work (we have a cafeteria in the 5th floor; the lady makes whatever I tell her too): 8am
I eat 5 egg whites and two sausage patties (removing all the grease by squeezing down
on it with a napkin, until the sausage is dry).

Snack between Breakfast & Lunch: 11:00am
Another protein shake

Lunch: 1:30pm
I eat a chicken breast wrap (the wrap is wheat) with lettuce and tomatoes only.
No Mayo or any other sauce.

Dinner: 6pm
I eat either a 12oz chicken breast, two cans of tuna, or my favorite 12oz. Salmon with
a two sides of vegetables.

*Then I wait about 30-45minutes before I work out*

Immidiately after I work out: 9pm
My last protein shake

**Make sure you drink lots of water, atleast 65oz. a day**
Water is very important.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Yeehaw

And can anyone guess what a 6" philly steak and cheese may be, I eat that a lot.
Rule #1. Stop eating cheesesteaks
Old 11-03-2004, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hobo
you dont need that much protein, no one does, just keep the meals small and often to make your body not get hungry...

if you want the quick and dirty way i can share the wrestling secrets... but for sustained results you will need to put in time at the gym doing cardio, i would suggest just plain old running but wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt, and alternate between long distance, (2-5 miles) and lots of sprints / stair running.

No protein = No muscles
Old 11-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I would say eat a can of tuna or chicken every day as a snack alone with your other meals and a protein shake, that will get your protein intake up. I would say 20-40g's of carbs per every meal w/ a focus on 50g's of protein. Everyone has a balance of carbs to protein for them to burn fat or muscle or just what the intake everyday. Everyone can tell you different things that work for them, but lowering your calories and carb intake with a gain in protein while working out will burn fat. Get a professional body fat index check done and you will have something to go by. You can get some good advice here too. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/index.php?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Are protein shakes a must?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:55 AM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

Originally Posted by DivineCL
No protein = No muscles
Divine, you're falling for myths from the gym rats and muscle mags. The gym rats have heard the extra protein myth for years so they'll always be ignorant of facts, but do you know why the muscle mags endorse high protein intake? They're being supported by supplement companies which have a bunch of high protein shakes. Muscle mags will always tell you what makes their bosses happy. You have to go by the facts and the facts are, excess protein does not equate to more muscle, but rather, it gives you more bodyfat or is pissed or dumped out. Protein is definitely needed for muscle building, but too much of it does you no good.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:58 AM

Are protein shakes a must?

It will help you meet your protein requirements daily. ;-)
Try it for about 3months and you will see good results.

Quote=DivineCL

Don't eat any Dairy products, no rice, no sweets, no fastfood,
no beer, and definately no late night snacks. Always read the Value on the back of things you eat.
Make sure they are not high in Carbs, Low in fat, and low in sugar.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Alright i may give the protein shakes a try, anyways everyone agrees on gnc mega man for multi-vitamin?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Batin Dean
Divine, you're falling for myths from the gym rats and muscle mags. The gym rats have heard the extra protein myth for years so they'll always be ignorant of facts, but do you know why the muscle mags endorse high protein intake? They're being supported by supplement companies which have a bunch of high protein shakes. Muscle mags will always tell you what makes their bosses happy. You have to go by the facts and the facts are, excess protein does not equate to more muscle, but rather, it gives you more bodyfat or is pissed or dumped out. Protein is definitely needed for muscle building, but too much of it does you no good.
Tell that to my body! I have gained weight and cut body fat by eating healthy (lots of protein included) and excersising regularly. You will not get huge or shredded in a couple
of months but give it a couple of years and you will see. All natural!

Bodybuilders look the way they do because they all take illegal or legal steroids. I've heard a lot about Androstein and pro-hormones. I believe that this is what gets them looking sick not the protein; however, they still consume protein to gain or keep muscle.
what do you take and what are your results, if I might ask?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:05 AM

Alright i may give the protein shakes a try, anyways everyone agrees on gnc mega woman for multi-vitamin?

Old 11-03-2004, 11:35 AM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

Tell that to my body! I have gained weight and cut body fat by eating healthy (lots of protein included) and excersising regularly. You will not get huge or shredded in a couple
of months but give it a couple of years and you will see. All natural!

Bodybuilders look the way they do because they all take illegal or legal steroids. I've heard a lot about Androstein and pro-hormones. I believe that this is what gets them looking sick not the protein; however, they still consume protein to gain or keep muscle.
what do you take and what are your results, if I might ask?
I was more of a powerlifter than a bodybuilder and I had a 335 lb. bench press, 405 lb. squat, and a 135 lb. no jerking curl. I don't post those kind of numbers anymore, but when I was powerlifting, I had a moderate protein intake because of the things I read.
When my protein intake was high(over 200 gms. a day) my strength was not any greater than when it became moderate.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Batin, how big/tall are you BTW?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:43 AM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

Originally Posted by Adam_Schwartz
Hey Batin, how big/tall are you BTW?
The real Dean, my roommate, is 6' tall and 300 lbs.. The poster known as Batin Dean, that's me, is 5'6" and 180 lbs.. During my powerlifting days, I was a little fireball of power at 195 lbs.. I've lost a lot of muscle mass, but I'd rather lose some size and be a bit weaker than be strong and overly stocky.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:44 AM

I was more of a powerlifter than a bodybuilder and I had a 335 lb. bench press, 405 lb. squat, and a 135 lb. jerking curl on my penis. I don't post those kind of numbers anymore, but when I was powerlifting, I had a moderate protein intake because of the things I read.
When my protein intake was high(over 200 gms. a day) my strength was not any greater than when it became moderate.

Interesting but sick!
I bodybuild but don't exactly powerlift, even though I lift heavy on every set (not max) and every excersice. I have noticed gains and differences since last year. I guess
things work different for everyone. My goal DivineCL > Ahnuld.

j/k Unless I take Androstein (which I will never take), I will
never beat the man and quite frankly I'll be fine in 5yrs doing it naturally.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:47 AM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

I must have a strong penis.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:47 AM

Old 11-03-2004, 12:07 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

alright ill be looking at the multivitamins, eating protein, cutting the philly cheese, and exercise, we will see how it goes.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:12 PM

Old 11-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm 5'8 and weigh 190lbs and I consume 200-205grams per day of protein.
This is what my meals look like:

Wake-up (6:10am eastern time):
1 protein shake (I use Pro-Complex, it contains 55grams per serving).

Breakfast @ work (we have a cafeteria in the 5th floor; the lady makes whatever I tell her too): 8am
I eat 5 egg whites and two sausage patties (removing all the grease by squeezing down
on it with a napkin, until the sausage is dry).

Snack between Breakfast & Lunch: 11:00am
Another protein shake

Lunch: 1:30pm
I eat a chicken breast wrap (the wrap is wheat) with lettuce and tomatoes only.
No Mayo or any other sauce.

Dinner: 6pm
I eat either a 12oz chicken breast, two cans of tuna, or my favorite 12oz. Salmon with
a two sides of vegetables.

*Then I wait about 30-45minutes before I work out*

Immidiately after I work out: 9pm
My last protein shake

**Make sure you drink lots of water, atleast 65oz. a day**
Water is very important.
You are trying to gain size right? Where the hell are the carbs? And 1:30pm and then not eating again til 6pm can you say "CATABOLIC STATE" during that time ur breaking down muscle mass you need to eat every 3 hrs atleast! Also after you workout you need carbs! Protein isnt the only thing that matters jeez...
Old 11-03-2004, 12:27 PM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

I see Divine's strategy. Divine is deriving his energy from the protein. Divine's diet is actually a great way to lose water, but for bodyfat loss, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because it's tough to keep your energy up until you get used to protein as an energy source. Divine, for your sake, I hope you're taking a good calcium supplement. BTW, when you get off that diet, you will gain a ton of weight, water weight, so just be warned and don't freak out thinking you gained a lot of bodyfat overnight.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:48 PM

I see Divine's strategy. Divine is deriving his energy from the protein. Divine's diet is actually a great way to lose water, but for bodyfat loss, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because it's tough to keep your energy up until you get used to protein as an energy source. Divine, for your sake, I hope you're taking a good calcium supplement. BTW, when you get off that diet, you will gain a ton of weight, water weight, so just be warned and don't freak out thinking you gained a lot of bodyfat overnight.
^^^
Sorry I forgot to mention
I take multi-vitamins everyday!

Quote=rOdxx
You are trying to gain size right? Where the hell are the carbs? And 1:30pm and then not eating again til 6pm can you say "CATABOLIC STATE" during that time ur breaking down muscle mass you need to eat every 3 hrs atleast! Also after you workout you need carbs! Protein isnt the only thing that matters jeez...

My bad I didn't notice that. I forgot to include that @ 4:00pm I eat a protein bar (Nitrotech). The protein shake I take after I workout has enough carbs & protein
to help me keep my energy high. I eat healthy but I don't zero-out carbs. I would
listen to some of your advice but I already know what you guys are telling me.
Plus, why don't you guys take some of your own advice.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Due to costs Im gonna be doing the centrum from A-Zinc...its a good value, and I hear centrum is good

Quick Reply: Fitness Experts-Help