Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Fat people

Old 08-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fat people

I keep reading articles about how and why fat people are fat. I am not a Doctor, and quite frankly really may not know what Im talking about, but I do feel like I know the reason that most obese people are that way. Its from inactivity/lack of exercise/sitting on there fat asses, and never getting their hearts pumping. I am convinced that you give me any fat person for 6 weeks and I can easily take a sizable chunk off for them. Diet is important, but nowhere as as important as just being active and living an exercise filled life.

Im writing this because it seems like there are more fat people now than healthy people, and they all seem perplexed as to how to lose it???????

You take any one fat person and put them on a cardio machine for only 20 minutes every other day and they can be as thin as they want!!
Old 08-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why dont people save for retirement?

Why dont people save up for a car instead of making payments?

Why dont people want to study for classes?

The issue is that we've become a culture of instant results. Small steps to a large goal is hard to contemplate when there are so many "quick fix" offerings that offer the best without the work.

Most work out for a month or two, fail to look like swim suit models and give up.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
While I do agree with you for the most part, you have to breakdown fat people.
There's the fat lazy asses you speak of that are only 40-60lbs or so overweight & need to work out & stop eating junk.(Most)
Then there are these other fat people that are REALLY fat & eat good & excersise & still can't loose weight. Those are the people that have fat parants & family. Those people have fat geans.(I know a few)
The 3rd group is the medical obease people that weight 500+lbs. From whatever reason.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:45 AM
04 remembrance

Their cravings are simply too heavy..
Old 08-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Originally Posted by SakiGT

The issue is that we've become a culture of instant results. Small steps to a large goal is hard to contemplate when there are so many "quick fix" offerings that offer the best without the work.

Most work out for a month or two, fail to look like swim suit models and give up.
It all really depends on whether you want to do it or not....
Old 08-15-2006, 01:08 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,139 Likes on 820 Posts
Originally Posted by AFP News
The world now has more overweight people than hungry ones and governments should design economic strategies to influence national diets, a conference of international experts have heard.

The transition from a starving world to an obese one had happened with dramatic speed, US professor Barry Popkin told the annual conference of the International Association of Agricultural Economists on Monday.

"The reality is that globally far more obesity than undernutrition exists," Popkin said, adding that while hunger was slowly declining, obesity was rapidly spreading.

There are more than a billion overweight people in the world and 800 million who are undernourished, he said at the Gold Coast convention centre near Brisbane. The world population is estimated at about 6.5 billion.

"Obesity is the norm globally and undernutrition, while still important in a few countries and in targeted populations in many others, is no longer the dominant disease."

The "burden of obesity", with its related illnesses, was also shifting from the rich to the poor, not only in urban but in rural areas around the world, he said.

China typified the changes, with a major shift in diet from cereals to animal products and vegetable oils accompanied by a decline in physical work, more motorised transport and more television viewing.

But all countries had failed to address the obesity "boom", the University of North Carolina professor said.

Food prices could be used to manipulate people's diets and tilt them towards healthier options, he suggested.

"For instance, if we charge money for every calorie of soft drink and fruit drink that was consumed, people would consume less of it.

"If we subsidise fruit and vegetable production, people would consume more of it and we would have a healthier diet."

University of Minnesota professor Benjamin Senauer used a comparative study of lifestyles in the United States and Japan to show how the costs of food and transport play a role in the problem.

Japan has one of the world's lowest rates of obesity and the US one of the highest.

"The average Japanese household spends almost a quarter of its income on food compared to under 14 percent in the US," Senauer said.

While a direct tax on food in the US to reduce obesity would not be politically acceptable, agricultural subsidies which resulted in cheap food could be reduced.

But other factors such as exercise also played an important role and again economic influences were involved, he said.

"Japanese cities are based on efficient public transport -- and walking. The average American commutes to work, drives to the supermarket and does as little walking as possible."

The average Japanese man walks four miles (6.4 kilometres) a day while almost a quarter of US adults may only walk between 1,000 and 3,000 steps a day, Senauer said.

While the relative cost of calories and fat had decreased over time, technology had eliminated much of the need for physical activity during work.

For most Americans, getting enough physical activity now required a conscious commitment to exercise and often cost money, such as the price of a round of golf or membership of a gym."

"Obesity and overweight bring with them significant risks of chronic disease and premature death and adjusting domestic policy to encourage a less sedentary lifestyle is literally a matter of life and death," he told the conference.
hmmm, is this a sign of progress?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Once more into the breach

Originally Posted by SakiGT

Why do I continue to watch Saved by the Bell every morning on TBS I know its not funny.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Originally Posted by peacefrog
Why do I continue to watch Saved by the Bell every morning on TBS I know its not funny.
I think there is a clinic dedicated solefully for people like you....
Old 08-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

I think a lot of why people are so fat is a lack of will power.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts