Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

For Fat Burning: Low or High Intensity

Old 03-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Fat Burning: Low or High Intensity

I know there is no such thing as being able to lose weight in a certain place and you just have to lose fat throughout the whole body.

I was tryign to figure out what would be the most effective way to burn fat, because I am built over the last few years a little stomach where it used to be pretty much flat, and for some reason I have a small frame on me but a pretty decent sized butt.

So whats better high or low intensity aerobic exercises?

I was always told to do low intensity, but I have read some articles online saying high intensity may be better for fat burning. I also was told maximum heart rate is 220-age, so I should do 75%-85% of my max heart rate for high intensity.

How many times a week should I do a bicycle or elliptical (cant run cuz of flat feet) and for how long? 30 minutes?

Also I want to do some weight training, can I fit it in the days between or right after the cardio?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

During low intensity cardio, the rate at which oxidation occurs in FFA's in much higher than in high intensity cardio. By now you are probably going nuts thinking: Ok, in low intensity cardio there is more mobilization and a higher rate of oxidation than in high intensity cardio. So why is high intensity cardio better for burning fat? It is better for burning fat because although the amount of FFA's being burned is lower, the amount of total fat is much greater.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
burn fat at 60-70% of max heart rate

do bike or elliptical as much as you can. I do an hour a day 7 days a week when I'm cutting weight.

lift weights first, then cardio afterwards.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:57 AM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
is it me, or did you just answer your own question?

anyway, do weights first then cardio. That will allow you to build more muscle which ultimately burns more fat, even when you're not working out.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Yeehaw

whoa....what the hell. I thought the second post was by someone else.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Racer

first off you should look into your diet and see if your eating to much. Meaning that your eating more at night, and your just plain eating to much. Remember that it's ok to be hungry, your body doesn't know that you can go grab a slice of bread out of the kitchen.

As for exersize your 18 so you should do about 1hr of high cardio, starting of slow and building up to top speed for about 45min than slowing down gradually. Also so light wieght traing geared more towords many reps15-30 or so will tone you up. and yes you can sculpt certan area's.

you say you have a large ass, so try doing some lunges and stay away from squats and stuff that build large bulk in the trunk.stay with cardio and rep wieght training.
and yes you could fit it between you cardio. do as much cardio as you can and just do wieghts twice a week for toning.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:00 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BEETROOT

Find your max heart rate and then excercise in the appropriate fat burining zone. Better to stay in this zone for longer than to go above it for shorter. Also if you cardio too hard your body will start to consume lean muscle, which is probably not what you want. (unless you want to look like a cambodian marathon runner).
Old 03-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

do bike or elliptical as much as you can. I do an hour a day 7 days a week when I'm cutting weight.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:04 AM
My Work is Done Here

We just covered this topic pretty well a few days ago

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=peeps
Old 03-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Thanks, isnt 60-70% though low intensity training? Is 75% a better rate?

Also do I need to do lunges with weights or just normal lunges?

I dont know where the big ass came from I guess Ive just always have had it. Anything to help possibly slim that area down besides lunges?

For the weights should I do less weight and 15-20 reps?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
We just covered this topic pretty well a few days ago

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=peeps
Sorry, I didnt see it
Old 03-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by Renegade
Thanks, isnt 60-70% though low intensity training? Is 75% a better rate?

Also do I need to do lunges with weights or just normal lunges?

I dont know where the big ass came from I guess Ive just always have had it. Anything to help possibly slim that area down besides lunges?

For the weights should I do less weight and 15-20 reps?
I'm answering for my own personal routine, you may find different things give you better results...but

I just try to do the highest intensity I can keep up for 30 minutes at a time, twice a day. I don't really track the numbers closely. I can tell you that works extremely well.

If its too easy with no weights, add weight.

Cardio?

I do a warm up set of around 16 reps, then I add weight each set after and drop reps to 12 - 10 - 8 (approx. if I can do more reps with that weight, I will), then a final set with low weight of as many as I can do (aim for 16).
Old 03-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

I'm answering for my own personal routine, you may find different things give you better results...but

I just try to do the highest intensity I can keep up for 30 minutes at a time, twice a day. I don't really track the numbers closely. I can tell you that works extremely well.

If its too easy with no weights, add weight.

Cardio?

I do a warm up set of around 16 reps, then I add weight each set after and drop reps to 12 - 10 - 8 (approx. if I can do more reps with that weight, I will), then a final set with low weight of as many as I can do (aim for 16).

Thanks for the help, I cant get to the gym twice in one day so I think ill do about 45 min-hour at 65% heart rate. thanks again.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
recently I've been playing a lot of basketball games (2-3x a week, full court pickups, 3-4 games), and I've lost more weight in the last 2 months than I did in the 4 months before that, when I used to run 12 miles a week and do the eliptical machine 3x a week
Old 03-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Originally Posted by bkknight369
recently I've been playing a lot of basketball games (2-3x a week, full court pickups, 3-4 games), and I've lost more weight in the last 2 months than I did in the 4 months before that, when I used to run 12 miles a week and do the eliptical machine 3x a week
Huh, I wonder why that is.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

You're doing a different kind of cardio when you play basketball. I'm guessing your body got used to the running and eliptical. You're probably working harder when you play, too.

60-70% max heart rate is the old standby for highest fat burn from cardio. Some people really like high intensity cardio - takes much less time, some claim it works better than "regular" cardio - but it'll kick your ass.

The BEST way to lose weight is to eat right. Diet > *
Old 03-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Yeehaw

basketball is awesome exercise. works every muscle in your body, and you barely notice the intensity of the workout when you get in a good game.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:33 PM
My Work is Done Here

Lost more weight or more fat? Basketball is more like interval training, which is better for burning fat, than straight running or cardio. Plus you incorporate all kinds of other things like balance, jumping, switching directions quickly, lateral movement, sprinting, etc. Quite simply, you do more in 30 minutes basketball, than you do in 30 minutes of running or elliptical.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Lost more weight or more fat? Basketball is more like interval training, which is better for burning fat, than straight running or cardio. Plus you incorporate all kinds of other things like balance, jumping, switching directions quickly, lateral movement, sprinting, etc. Quite simply, you do more in 30 minutes basketball, than you do in 30 minutes of running or elliptical.
more fat I hope

Didnt mean to hijack this thread...just trying to point out an alternative to the excercise machines in the gym, which can get real boring, real fast
Old 03-15-2005, 01:43 PM
sup

I also was told maximum heart rate is 220-age

I'm 21 and when i use the treadmill, my heart rate is usually at 200
Old 03-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by ViperrepiV
I used to run with a buddy of mine. Running the same speed on the treadmill his heart rate would be at 200, mine would be 160.

We were both in good shape, non smokers, same age. There is no set age/heart rate formula, its different for everyone.

I'd say just go like hell for 5 minutes and see how high your HR goes, then aim for 60% of that when you do cardio.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ViperrepiV
Could be a lot of things

Your monitor might be incorrect. I have a really old one that 'll pick up extra beats on hard bumps and jostles when i'm biking.

Your heart rate might just be higher. The 220-age is just a very general formula.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:05 PM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

I know there is no such thing as being able to lose weight in a certain place and you just have to lose fat throughout the whole body.

I was tryign to figure out what would be the most effective way to burn fat, because I am built over the last few years a little stomach where it used to be pretty much flat, and for some reason I have a small frame on me but a pretty decent sized butt.

So whats better high or low intensity aerobic exercises?

I was always told to do low intensity, but I have read some articles online saying high intensity may be better for fat burning. I also was told maximum heart rate is 220-age, so I should do 75%-85% of my max heart rate for high intensity.

How many times a week should I do a bicycle or elliptical (cant run cuz of flat feet) and for how long? 30 minutes?

Also I want to do some weight training, can I fit it in the days between or right after the cardio?
It's total calories burned that matter and not the intensity. While it's true that fat will be used more at a lower intensity, you can also replace the calories lost quicker because you didn't burn as many. If you're into muscle sparing like pro bodybuilders are, then go low, but if you want to lose bodyfat overall at a quicker rate, high intensity is the way to go, but remember, your metabolism will slow down with a lot of cardio because your resting heart rate will slow down as you get used to the aerobics.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Banned

Along with performing cardio in the morning on an empty gut, you will need to eat 6-7 small meals per day in order to keep your metabolism high. Eating whole foods that require more energy to break down into simple building blocks is also very important, that is, try to eat as many whole foods as possible and keep the processed foods/sugar to a minimum.

A general plan is to slowly up the cardio over a given period of time and slowly reduce calories over that same time period so you are continually changing, but not in such large steps that you shock your body into going into survival mode.

Your lifting routines should be fairly high intensity in that you don't want to rest for 3 minutes in between sets for ALL sets. Try to keep rest periods to 30-60 seconds.

This is all anecdotal info, but a good place to start.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:14 PM
My Work is Done Here

don't do cardio on an empty stomach..... ever!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Banned

don't do cardio on an empty stomach..... ever!
Why is that? Testosterone levels are high when you first wake up, hence the ability to preserve muscle mass. Glycogen levels are low, hence the ability to use body fat for energy, which is the whole point. Just take some l-glutamine before you run if you want to be safe, but many, MANY bodybuilders, including ones I know personally, run in the AM on an empty stomach. They don't lose muscle mass at all.

You don't want to lift on an empty stomach, which is a different thing altogether.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

So basically since i havent done cardio for a while do like a week at 30 minutes, then next week up it to 40, then the next week to 50, then the next week to 60 and stay at that range?

I can only eat 3 meals a day due to college life. Banana in the morning, a lunch, and a dinner. If my metabolism gets slow after a while due to cardio so much, does that mean at some point I wont be able to burn any fat? If so how to I boost the metabolism again?
Old 03-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Banned

You really need to eat better than that if possible. I know you are in school, so it's hard. But make every effort to try to eat 4 meals/day, then 5 then 6. Most likely you could take your lunch and dinner and break that into 4 meals rather than 2. Also, eat more for breakfast. Your body has been fasting for 6-10 hours (hence the word breakfast), so you need to eat more than one banana.

As for cardio, I am on a fat loss program and I am doing 3/30 the first 2 weeks, 4/30 the next 2, 5/30 the next 2, then try to max out at 5/45 for the last 3-4 weeks. That is a general rule - adjust as needed. Some people can do more, some cannot.

I would not do more than 60 min of cardio per session, but that is just me.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Banned

BTW, the 5-7 meals per day is what helps keep your metabolim going - your body adapts and learns to deal with smaller meals so it increases its metabolism to process the food it's given (assuming this is good food, not junk). It's when you eat too little that your body begins to reduce its metabolism as a survial mechanism. People who eat greatly reduced calorie diets are doing more harm than good because their bodies begin to catabolize muscle for energy.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:38 PM
My Work is Done Here

Originally Posted by Adam_Schwartz
Why is that? Testosterone levels are high when you first wake up, hence the ability to preserve muscle mass. Glycogen levels are low, hence the ability to use body fat for energy, which is the whole point. Just take some l-glutamine before you run if you want to be safe, but many, MANY bodybuilders, including ones I know personally, run in the AM on an empty stomach. They don't lose muscle mass at all.

You don't want to lift on an empty stomach, which is a different thing altogether.
Because cortisol levels are high too. They may not lose muscle mass, but they may not be gaining as much as they could be either. It is true that glutamine will help, but I'd reccomend some sort of small liquid breakfast/shake before doing your cardio.

......It is therefore essential that cortisol release is controlled if one is to facilitate muscle growth. As well as being primarily released under conditions of stress and high temperature cortisol is also released first thing in the morning. Morning aerobics have been thought to be effective for this very reason. However this is misguided thinking because exercising on an empty stomach first thing in the morning has been shown to actually intensify cortisol's effects thus resulting in further muscle loss, and consequently metabolic resistance to body fat loss.

http://www.ironmagazine.com/article83.html
Old 03-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Banned

That is just one theory - there are just as many theories out there that suggest otherwise, such as that t-levels are high and counteract any muscle loss. See, I have read that one would not be affected by doing morning cardio on an empty gut as long as they don't go past, say, 45 minutes. So there are different schools of thought on this.

I won't say you are wrong, but I also won't say this is the end-all be-all. I know too many people who get cut before shows doing most of their cardio in the AM on an empty gut to dismiss this as 100% true. BUT, it is good info to read - thanks for the follow up. I am always trying to learn as much as possible.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:59 PM
My Work is Done Here

That is just one theory - there are just as many theories out there that suggest otherwise, such as that t-levels are high and counteract any muscle loss. See, I have read that one would not be affected by doing morning cardio on an empty gut as long as they don't go past, say, 45 minutes. So there are different schools of thought on this.

I won't say you are wrong, but I also won't say this is the end-all be-all. I know too many people who get cut before shows doing most of their cardio in the AM on an empty gut to dismiss this as 100% true. BUT, it is good info to read - thanks for the follow up. I am always trying to learn as much as possible.

Oh no way is it end all be all. Everybody is different, and it may work for some people. There isn't anything regarding fitness that I have read that I would take as 100% true.

But exercising on an empty gut IMO is a gimmick or trick that can easily lead to more dangerous fitness practices. I definitely would never recommend it for a fitness novice.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

So basically since i havent done cardio for a while do like a week at 30 minutes, then next week up it to 40, then the next week to 50, then the next week to 60 and stay at that range?

I can only eat 3 meals a day due to college life. Banana in the morning, a lunch, and a dinner. If my metabolism gets slow after a while due to cardio so much, does that mean at some point I wont be able to burn any fat? If so how to I boost the metabolism again?
Don't worry about it.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Banned

Oh no way is it end all be all. Everybody is different, and it may work for some people. There isn't anything regarding fitness that I have read that I would take as 100% true.

But exercising on an empty gut IMO is a gimmick or trick that can easily lead to more dangerous fitness practices. I definitely would never recommend it for a fitness novice.
Good stuff - some other ideas I have heard about cortisol include not doing cardio after a 45-60 min workout since the extra 30-45 min cardio could increase cortisol levels too much. So by some nutritionists' accounts, we are damned if we do, damned if we don't. I suppose that is why so many people give up because it takes a long time to figure out what works for YOU.

I have more than enough muscle to spare in the event I do lose muscle from doing AM cardio, not to mention I am forunate enough to add mass fairly quickly. So that explains my cardio routine.

Going back to your tip on eating something before AM cardio, how much are you talking? Like 15-20 g of carbs? I assume you are not talking about a 400-500 calorie meal.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:31 PM
My Work is Done Here

Going back to your tip on eating something before AM cardio, how much are you talking? Like 15-20 g of carbs? I assume you are not talking about a 400-500 calorie meal.
Definitely keeping it small. I'd call it a snack more than anything. I just make it a point to get something into my stomach. Personally, by the time I wake up in the morning, Ive been fasting for 10-12 hours, so I'll have some lowfat yogurt and some juice before cardio.

I don't even think of anything I eat as a "meal" unless I'm out with family or "cheating". I eat 5 or 6 snacks a day, and my biggest is typically not much more than 500 calories.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Banned

Right, my meals = your snacks, i.e. 400-500 cal doses of food. I am eating 6 meals a day right now, no less. My daily calorie intake is 3000 cal, but it will drop to 2800 next Monday and stay there for 2 weeks and then to 2600 for 2 weeks then to 2400 for 4 weeks.

I will keep that small snack before AM cardio in mind as I train. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:02 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

run 3 miles a day and try to get to the point where you can do it in 21 minutes, the end
Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

So to clarify, since it is good to mix up your routine, what are two aerobic machines that will not build muscle in my butt, as I want to lose fat from it and not gain muscle there.

Would aerobic and a stationary bike be fine?

Incline on a treadmill wont be good for that though right?
Old 03-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

anyone?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

So to clarify, since it is good to mix up your routine, what are two aerobic machines that will not build muscle in my butt, as I want to lose fat from it and not gain muscle there.

Would aerobic and a stationary bike be fine?

Incline on a treadmill wont be good for that though right?
Run, eliptical, bike, swim.

Quick Reply: For Fat Burning: Low or High Intensity