Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Excellent piece on lifting for fat loss

Old 08-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent piece on lifting for fat loss

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...13-1?id=517831
Old 08-26-2005, 02:00 PM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn Abreece, you always give the best info. I love you.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
This is good info and exactly what I've been looking for.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice product plug
Old 08-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cTLgo
Nice product plug
this?

10. Use Power Drive and Caffeine

Since we’re using big weights, I feel that using the time-proven Power Drive plus caffeine combo before workout can do wonders for you. It'll help you keep your strength up by revving up the nervous system and it'll help elevate your mood so that you can better handle the rigors of a fat loss regimen.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:34 PM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
that's what I thought too....

the rest is good info though, and almost exactly what I've been doing
Old 08-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
Damn Abreece, you always give the best info. I love you.

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Nice product plug
I meant to come back and edit my post saying ignore the two product plugs in there, but i got busy at work
Old 08-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
this?

Since we’re using big weights, I feel that using the time-proven Power Drive plus caffeine combo before workout can do wonders for you. It'll help you keep your strength up by revving up the nervous system and it'll help elevate your mood so that you can better handle the rigors of a fat loss regimen.
There's another one in there that isn't color bolded. 2 H&F points if you find it!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 08-27-2005, 01:35 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

I tell my friends this shit all the time since they want to be pussies
and do light weight and they wonder how I can go 3 months without lifting
and all it takes is me a week to surpass them again.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:57 PM
That's Racist

Maybe it's your bike riding.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
this?

yes sir
Old 08-30-2005, 12:01 PM
minibike wheelie king ;-)

What is power drive?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Gixxster
What is power drive?
Don't know, don't care. You don't need it.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,919 Likes on 5,538 Posts
Originally Posted by ABreece
There's another one in there that isn't color bolded. 2 H&F points if you find it!
this?

Of course, using Maximum Strength HOT-ROX will allow you to maintain or even build muscle while on a hypocaloric diet, in addition to helping you burn away fat.
thx for the link - Im gonna try it out. I have been doing the "long rep series/short rest intervals" method for a few months now and have seen results since even the first week, but notice I seem to lose some muscle if I miss even one day. I was shocked to see I should be doing 4-8 reps, according to this article. I had been doing 15-20. Anyway, we will see how it goes.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by srika
this?

thx for the link - Im gonna try it out. I have been doing the "long rep series/short rest intervals" method for a few months now and have seen results since even the first week, but notice I seem to lose some muscle if I miss even one day. I was shocked to see I should be doing 4-8 reps, according to this article. I had been doing 15-20. Anyway, we will see how it goes.
I predict you'll like keeping the reps low. Just be sure you increase your weight a sufficient amount, you want to be at or near failure after those 4-10 reps.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Luke 1:37

4 IUs of HGH for at least 3 months, got it!

Seriously though, its an interesting thought. If you have a low calorie diet, then you won't have as much energy to maintain a long rigorous workout, but if you increase the weight and put up less reps, aren't you exerting as much energy as you would if you were benching less weight but more reps? Someone do the math for me.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:36 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

I am currently doing this tactic and can greatly tell the difference. Although I usually lift heavy weights and I usually set it to where I can do 10, now I set it where its hard to get past 7 and it's making a diff. Good Job Abreece.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by JesusJuice
I am currently doing this tactic and can greatly tell the difference. Although I usually lift heavy weights and I usually set it to where I can do 10, now I set it where its hard to get past 7 and it's making a diff. Good Job Abreece.
When you say that you see a difference, do you see a decent amount of weight loss? I'm wondering if I should switch up my lifting and go harder with less reps. I currently go with:

(Not including bar)

1st set: 45s on each side x 15
2nd set: 45s and 25s on each side x 10-12
3rd set: 45s and 25s on each side x 10-12
4th set: 45s on each side x 15

I'm thinking that I'll change it up to:

2nd set: 2 45s on each side x 7
3rd set: 2 45s on each side x 7
Old 09-02-2005, 01:48 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by virtualbong
When you say that you see a difference, do you see a decent amount of weight loss? I'm wondering if I should switch up my lifting and go harder with less reps. I currently go with:

(Not including bar)

2nd set: 45s and 25s on each side x 10-12
3rd set: 45s and 25s on each side x 10-12

I'm thinking that I'll change it up to:

2nd set: 2 45s on each side x 7
3rd set: 2 45s on each side x 7

In weight loss yes but it could be attributed to the fact that I run between 2-4 miles 6 times a week and lift 6 times a week on a chest/tri back/bi shoulders/legs rotation and the fact that I am a few weeks into this so I haven't plateaued yet. But the whole thing with you lowering your reps you didn't up the weight. Ask Breece because although certain things will work for me (I am a big guy who holds muscle well but tends to find it harder to lose weight and keep it off) might not work for you. Just try it out and see if you like it.

Edit: could also just be mental, when you learn something new your excited to try it out so I see I am working harder and when I wake up excited to go down to the gym again when before I liked going but it was becoming routine.

Last edited by JesusJuice; 09-02-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

do I apply high-weight, low-rep to ALL exercises? e.g. shoulders
Old 09-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Suzuka Master

do I apply high-weight, low-rep to ALL exercises? e.g. shoulders
Yes.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:14 PM

I'm already pretty fit and have a toned body, but I'm up for trying new methods to see how they turn out. I'll stick with the same cardio that I do, but I'll switch up my weight management. I'll give this a 1-2 month trial to see how it goes. I've been getting bored at the gym, so this will be a good switch.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:30 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by virtualbong
I'm already pretty fit and have a toned body, but I'm up for trying new methods to see how they turn out. I'll stick with the same cardio that I do, but I'll switch up my weight management. I'll give this a 1-2 month trial to see how it goes. I've been getting bored at the gym, so this will be a good switch.
exactly, its always nice to spice up the work out because once you get to the point where you don't feel the burn anymore and you get satisfied thats where everything goes in the shitter.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator

umm guys this ain't working right. I increased all my free weights by like about 40% in hope of achieving this formula... and it just doesn't feel right - I am focusing on form, and able to do 5-8 reps. But I feel like I am waaay over-exerting myself... I thought I was supposed to shoot for "failure" point - I'm not quite there, but already I feel like I might BREAK something.... are my bones weak or something? Does this work better with machines? Cuz with free weights, it ain't feeling right.

oh yeah - I am just trying curls right now... also tried some shoulders.

srika - kinda mad, I thought this would work better - am I just being impatient?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:36 PM

umm guys this ain't working right. I increased all my free weights by like about 40% in hope of achieving this formula... and it just doesn't feel right - I am focusing on form, and able to do 5-8 reps. But I feel like I am waaay over-exerting myself... I thought I was supposed to shoot for "failure" point - I'm not quite there, but already I feel like I might BREAK something.... are my bones weak or something? Does this work better with machines? Cuz with free weights, it ain't feeling right.

srika - kinda mad, I thought this would work better - am I just being impatient?
How long have you been using this method?

What's your body type? Are you naturally strong or do you have to work out gaining some weight?

From what I've seen and experienced myself, if you have alot of mass to work with from the start, you can easily trim down to have a nice toned body.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Senior Moderator

tried it tonight for the first time. I wouldn't say I'm 'naturally strong' - but I'm definitely not skinny. Oh yea I'm 5'9 - 172 lbs. However I have a bit more bodyfat than I want - if I was able to down that down, which I am working on - I would have some definite definition going on. I used to work out regularly in college and then didn't for several years. Then I would start up again, on and off, not really getting anywhere.

In October 2004 I started working with a personal trainer at Bally's - just because I could not keep ANY type of schedule on my own, without having appts. That worked quite well - I was doing cardio, and even had a six-pack by the end of the 4 months I did that. It was then February 2005, and Gran Turismo 4 came out, and yeah I basically gained all the fat back because I sat on my ass playing the game for like 2 months or so. But, I digress.... ANYWAY.

Through that all, I surely felt the training did not go to waste, both financially and in terms of time, since I finally knew what I was CAPABLE of. I had never had a defined six-pack before - it's almost like I was AFRAID of knowing, whether I could get there. But after doing it, even after I lost it, I knew I would get back there, and that it would just be a question of time.

So the GT4 craze died down probably a couple of months ago (or more) - and so for the last 2 months I have stuck with a high-rep/low-weight regimen and definitely seen results. i.e. I've never had real defined shoulders until now, because I never worked em out before. Ok well I guess I kinda got drawn out there with the history and description, but I guess it's important to know, since everyone is different and reacts differently to workouts and such.

Anyway.. I meant to post in here again - I lowered the weight just a bit - and did a few more sets - and I started to really feel a burn - like I haven't before. So I wonder if I should keep at it this way. I have been focusing on the following, and it feels great right now....

5. Control the negative and explode with the positive.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:06 PM
Senior Moderator

oh yea.... you know - most fitness forums have picture threads......

I know 's site did - but that site seems to be inaccessible atm....
Old 09-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Senior Moderator

oops... guess there is one....

https://acurazine.com/forums/health-fitness-34/post-pics-your-progress-309609/
Old 09-03-2005, 12:28 AM
Suzuka Master

My initial reaction? You aren't used to lifting this hard. Keep it up.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^ thanks - you see, I am quite the avid pain-avoider and I need motivation... lots of it - to do things that involve pain. I guess that's not out of the ordinary.

oh and as reference points, Im using a curl-bar with a total of 65 lbs - I started with 75 tonight but that really felt like too much. Free-weights for shoulders, 15 lbs each. I haven't been to Bally's for about 6 months now but I think I will start going back there this month. I just don't have as many options here at home.

ps. my muscles are feeling QUITE worked right now..... I know I have worked em out hard - it will be interesting to see how they feel tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^ thanks - you see, I am quite the avid pain-avoider and I need motivation... lots of it - to do things that involve pain. I guess that's not out of the ordinary.

oh and as reference points, Im using a curl-bar with a total of 65 lbs - I started with 75 tonight but that really felt like too much. Free-weights for shoulders, 15 lbs each. I haven't been to Bally's for about 6 months now but I think I will start going back there this month. I just don't have as many options here at home.

ps. my muscles are feeling QUITE worked right now..... I know I have worked em out hard - it will be interesting to see how they feel tomorrow.
If you haven't lifted in a while, and never lifted hard, you'll probably be sore as fuck. I used to take summers off from the gym because the place i lifted - school - wasn't available. If i went back in September and hit the weights hard I would have a hard time moving for a few days.

"No pain no gain" still holds true.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

ok... this is interesting. I am sore, but not like, sore as fuck. and, the sore feels DIFFERENT than it did before. The muscles feel more completely sore, if that makes any sense. Ok anyway - how long before I can exercise those muscles again? Can you exercise muscles while they are slightly sore, or do you have to wait until you feel 100%? thx
Old 09-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

ok.... Im sore as fuck now.. .... guess it just took a while to take effect.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

ok... this is interesting. I am sore, but not like, sore as fuck. and, the sore feels DIFFERENT than it did before. The muscles feel more completely sore, if that makes any sense. Ok anyway - how long before I can exercise those muscles again? Can you exercise muscles while they are slightly sore, or do you have to wait until you feel 100%? thx
Since you just started, i'd wait until they're not sore at all for JUST this first time. Your tendons and ligaments need to get used to this new exercise as well.

After that it's okay to lift when they're sore. However, your muscles need time to rest. Resting is how they get bigger and stronger. A good guideline is that each muscle group should have 5-7 days of rest before you work it again.