Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Endoscopy tomorrow...

Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Endoscopy tomorrow...

I am going to have an endoscopy performed on me tomorrow. I'm still uneasy about swallowing a camera, etc.

Has anyone had this procedure done before? What was it like? Any thoughts to help calm my mind?

Thanks guys.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
My kid had it done a when he was about 2. They knocked him out. He seemed fine afterwards.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I thought I would be able to get put to sleep or something by I'm being told I'll have to swallow a camera, and obviously will have to be awake to do that. I'm a little confused. If I can be put out I'd be happy. I don't think just numbing would be enough lol.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I haven't had this procedure done, but just wanted to say having any type of procedure can be very stressful. I was pretty scared going in for surgery to correct some issues with my sinuses and nose and that was a pretty common procedure.

The best thing you can do is to breath calmly. And if you are still nervous I found one thing that helped me was to talk to those that were doing the procedure. You'll quickly learn that they understand your nervous and they'll do what they can to keep you at ease, but the best thing you can do is to breath slow and take deep breaths every so often leading up to the procedure.
The following users liked this post:
Dem1K (11-13-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
I haven't had this procedure done, but just wanted to say having any type of procedure can be very stressful. I was pretty scared going in for surgery to correct some issues with my sinuses and nose and that was a pretty common procedure.

The best thing you can do is to breath calmly. And if you are still nervous I found one thing that helped me was to talk to those that were doing the procedure. You'll quickly learn that they understand your nervous and they'll do what they can to keep you at ease, but the best thing you can do is to breath slow and take deep breaths every so often leading up to the procedure.
Thanks man. My doctor is great and I am comfortable with him doing the procedure it's just I haven't had anything done like this before. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftyFive
I thought I would be able to get put to sleep or something by I'm being told I'll have to swallow a camera, and obviously will have to be awake to do that. I'm a little confused. If I can be put out I'd be happy. I don't think just numbing would be enough lol.
If they numb you to do so, I think they'll give you something to keep you calm as well, w/o putting you to sleep.

I'm going to have upper and lower GI done at the end of the month. Dr. said he'll just put me out, that has me worried, I don't like being put to sleep.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 AM
I like turtles

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I just had an endoscopy done 3 weeks ago. I was uneasy about it as well, but let me tell you, it was a cake walk.

They are supposed to keep you awake for the procedure so you can listen and follow their instructions. They will inject an IV in you that pretty much makes you "black out". You're still awake, but will not remember a thing until the stuff wears off and you start wondering where you are.

It's extremely simple to go through. The worst part about it was the prep (stripping clothes, IV injected into you, and watching a dumb video). I wouldn't worry about it at all

Let me know if you have any other questions and I can answer them for you
Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM
nnInn

lucky and 55, let me ask why you are having/had it done? If you care to... Me I'm having done because I'm almost 50, but the illness (virus) I had back in July seems to still be messing with digestive system.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Had one done this time last year because of digestive system severe pain and acid reflux, they knock you out, or should, its a cakewalk IMHO. I happened to have multiple small ulcers, i've been on medication since and i'm good now
Old 11-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
The new way seems cool. I had an old-style one done in 2006. They run a metal coated wire with a camera on the end down into your stomach. It hits your gag reflexes so you are trying to throw-up the entire time.

good luck.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had a broncoscopy done earlier this year, wouldn't wish one of those on my worst enemy. Sounds like this is a much different procedure. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM
I like turtles

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
lucky and 55, let me ask why you are having/had it done? If you care to... Me I'm having done because I'm almost 50, but the illness (virus) I had back in July seems to still be messing with digestive system.
I had mine due to severe nausea problems. They checked out my upper GI track and stomach lining for problems. I believe the endoscopy is meant for upper digestive system problems where the colonoscopy (up the pooper) is meant for lower digestive track problems.

In all honesty, the endoscopy wasn't bad at all. The last thing I remember was them injecting some meds into my IV, then I remember coming to in the recovery room.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
I've had it done and it was quite easy. A sedative was administered to calm me down, and I was fully conscious during the procedure. It was very quick, and in the end I wondered why I was so apprehensive about the procedure to begin with.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
I have been under general anesthetic 3 times and actually enjoyed it. I have not had any issue with a surgical procedure that would cause anxiety. Don't work yourself up, and everything will go fine.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:21 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
They also make you drink something to coat your esophagus so everything slides in easier. Heard it tastes nasty but what do you expect...you will be disoriented afterwards though. I had to take care of a friend who had it done and she was out of it for a while. We even got off the train so she could throw up in a garbage can. I'm not sure how you'll react but I would have someone there just in case.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Had the upper and lower done at the same time (thread in Health section) so I was out for it.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I had it done. Pretty simple - it went like this.

1. fill out paperwork 2mins, wait 15mins
2. discuss procedure, final signature, 5 mins
3. undress and put on gown 1mins, wait 5mins
4. confirm name and procedure, place an empty IV tube in arm 2mins
5. confirm name and procedure, move to stretcher and wait in hallway 15mins
6. move stretcher to procedure room wait 5mins
7. confirm name and procedure, roll to your side and hook up the IV and start a bit of fluid to make sure it is working. This made me mildly dizzy for a second. You are on your side so you don't choke on spit. <1min
8. they spray a numbing agent in your throat to prevent gag reflex.<1min
9. place ball gag in your mouth with a pencil sized hole in it. This was the most unnerving moment for me. <1min
10. IV drip is adjusted or they change the chemical I dunno what. (that is the last I remember)

The rest takes place while you are awake but you likely won't remember a thing. You respond to them, have a conversation with them, they shove a pencil sized camera down your throat. You don't remember. Probably 10mins.

While the procedure is done they take video and some stills of what they see. If they see anything abnormal (or of concern) they will take a biopsy sample. Basically small pincers cut out a small portion of the stomach wall or wherever they see something.

As soon as they discontinue the IV drip you start to normalize and start remembering things. You don't 'wake up' as you were never really out. You feel like you woke up though.

You may feel pain from the camera rubbing in your throat, through the esophagus and into your stomach. If they took biopsies the pain might be more. It is very little pain - just like bad heartburn. If this pain worsens or becomes worrisome they will ask you to report to your doctor.

Overall it takes very little time and you are heading home quickly. They will tell you to not make any decisions and get a drive home and relax for the rest of the day. Listen to them. I was gapping out the whole day afterwards. My daughter asked me for a grilled cheese. I started one and put it on the stove, sat down and started surfing AZ. Then my daughter asked where her grilled cheese was. I stood up and started making a whole new sandwich while the one on the stove burned away. I was oblivious.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I am going to have an endoscopy performed on me tomorrow. I'm still uneasy about swallowing a camera, etc.

Has anyone had this procedure done before? What was it like? Any thoughts to help calm my mind?

Thanks guys.
Is it an EGD, or a pill endoscopy?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I've had two... Ain't no thang.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qC-UdSVvt2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Had the upper and lower done at the same time (thread in Health section) so I was out for it.
a camera you have to swallow should be no big deal.

Jefford got this one in through the out door. The doctor said he didnt even have to push that hard

Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Lol thanks so much guys. I am going in for general nausea which has been present for the last ~2 months. I think anything thing like this surely is better than nausea on and off for two months.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
G/f's daughter just did it. Easy thing. The camera is a 1 time use deal. So you do not need to go fishing for it when done.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
My dad had the camera thing this week. The wild thing about it was that I could pickup a signal on my Galaxy S phone. I never could figure out how to get a picture however.

Of course, the doctors said he has cancer, but I'm wondering it I screwed the results with my phone.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Professor
My dad had the camera thing this week. The wild thing about it was that I could pickup a signal on my Galaxy S phone. I never could figure out how to get a picture however.

Of course, the doctors said he has cancer, but I'm wondering it I screwed the results with my phone.
Ah! I hope everything is ok!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I had it done, they gave me some kind of short-term memory loss drug. I was awake the whole time, but here's what I remembered: getting a throat spray... a quick flash of swallowing the camera and thinking it wasn't a big deal... being back in the waiting room... being in the car... all like flashes of a dream.

Apparently I drove my wife crazy because I kept asking her what the doctor said after the procedure. Five minutes later I forgot and asked again... and again... and again. At first, she was then . Later that day I took a nap and memory function was restored. Freaked me out at the time, but it made for a good story. Not sure why I didn't go Memento and write it on my hand.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Mockenrue
When I had it done, they gave me some kind of short-term memory loss drug. I was awake the whole time, but here's what I remembered: getting a throat spray... a quick flash of swallowing the camera and thinking it wasn't a big deal... being back in the waiting room... being in the car... all like flashes of a dream.

Apparently I drove my wife crazy because I kept asking her what the doctor said after the procedure. Five minutes later I forgot and asked again... and again... and again. At first, she was then . Later that day I took a nap and memory function was restored. Freaked me out at the time, but it made for a good story. Not sure why I didn't go Memento and write it on my hand.
You got raped.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I wonder why they would use a short term memory loss type of thing?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
they need your cooperation so they want you awake rather than out. and i would imagine it is faster and lower risk
Old 11-04-2011, 08:52 AM
I like turtles

Basically to put you at ease. A lot of people are apprehensive about this procedure, and this is a simple way to make that a non-factor.

I had my procedure done for the same reason as you (nausea), but they haven't found anything yet. A few CT Scans, Ultrasounds, and appointments later, still no answer
Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 AM
nnInn

Remember the dentist episode from Seinfeld...
Old 11-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

So just woke up from a nap. Had the procedure at about 11am this morning. They completely knocked me out, didn't feel a thing. I was a little disoriented when I woke but that was about it.

I might have gastropariesis (sp?)

Besides some gas from them having to inflate my stomach to get in there I feel completely fine, a little tired if anything.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by MWalsh9152
a camera you have to swallow should be no big deal.

Jefford got this one in through the out door. The doctor said he didnt even have to push that hard
Hardy har har.

So just woke up from a nap. Had the procedure at about 11am this morning. They completely knocked me out, didn't feel a thing. I was a little disoriented when I woke but that was about it.

I might have gastropariesis (sp?)

Besides some gas from them having to inflate my stomach to get in there I feel completely fine, a little tired if anything.
Glad it went well...
Old 11-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
scopy isn't bad b/c of sedation...the worst is barium enemas or enteroclysis...