Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Dieting...backwards

Old 09-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dieting...backwards

This is my first post in this forum. I see a lot of dieting threads.

I need to GAIN weight.

I am a cancer patient, the tumor (squalous cell cancer) was in my mouth. Still is, but it is now dead due to radiation treatments. Unfortunately, the radiation took out my saliva glands for life (I have to take ice water with me EVERYWHERE), has wiped out my taste buds, and food I enjoyed a year ago I now cannot swallow.

From 145 pounds, I have lost 30 pounds. It actually hurts for me to sit on a non padded chair. Although I cannot taste anything, I do have "sensations." Today, we had pizza at lunch on the company for a job well done. I could only eat the topping, cheese only, as something like the pizza dough, basically a bread, is too hard to swallow. Also, the cheese I ate left a burning sensation in my mouth.

To sustain myself, I basically live off of "Ensure Plus", which I inject through a feeding tube in my stomach. But you can only take so much of that.

I can eat stuff like spaghetti-o's, no problem, and about my upper limit consists of a plain hot dog, no bun. Long gone are the days where I would sit down to a nice steak or BBQ chicken.

My challenge is to find something bland, easy to swallow, hopefully with plenty of calories and protien. Anything above a glazed doughnut is a challenge, and to gain some pounds.

Anyone have any suggestions besides milk shakes and ice cream? Cereal goes down ok only if I let it sit im milk for about 20 minutes until it is a soggy mess.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Ouch. Really sorry to hear this, Dfreder2.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm a retard. You don't want anymore shakes. I'd suggest making Chinese congee. Use some white rice add chicken stock and just cook it a few hours.

Last edited by Yumcha; 09-09-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

CONGEE - RICE GRUEL
Yield: 6 servings

1 c Long grain rice
3 qt Stock [I used chicken stock.
-S.C.]
2 tb Minced Chinese preserved
-turnip
1 sl Ginger root, minced
1 Piece tangerine peel, soaked
-to soften and minced
Salt
Garnish of:
Chopped green onion
Chopped coriander
Slivered preserved ginger
Sliced tea melon

Combine rice, stock, preserved turnip, ginger and
tangerine peel in a large soup pot and bring to a
boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered approximately
1-1 1/2 hours or until the rice is thoroughly broken
up. Stir occasionally to prevent soup from sticking
and add boiling water if necessary. When done, soup
should be thick and creamy. Add salt to taste and
garnish with any or all of the suggested garnishes.

Variations: Just before serving, add cooked chicken,
pork, ham or beef. Or with rice add diced forest
mushrooms, soaked to soften or dried shrimp.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

There's protein in it and it's also got the carbs for you to keep your energy up.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats rough man, I feel for you.

There is this kind of oatmeal... I forget what its called but its in the grocery store next to the Quaker oats. It comes in a metal can and it looks like rabbit food. You just boil it up, or throw it in a crock pot overnight. The stuff is very nutritious, very easy to eat/digest, and very bland if you don't put anything in it.

I know you've had your fill of shakes, but if you mix a myoplex with 2/3 the amount of water you are supposed to, it turns into a pudding consistency. That might work too, that stuff is full of vitamins and calories.

Another thing... for my post workout meals I make egg white omelettes with ricotta cheese inside. If you mix a little milk in the egg and don't overcook it, soft and moist, and healthy.

Hope that helps, I'll post more things as I think of them.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Thats rough man, I feel for you.

There is this kind of oatmeal... I forget what its called but its in the grocery store next to the Quaker oats. It comes in a metal can and it looks like rabbit food. You just boil it up, or throw it in a crock pot overnight. The stuff is very nutritious, very easy to eat/digest, and very bland if you don't put anything in it.

I know you've had your fill of shakes, but if you mix a myoplex with 2/3 the amount of water you are supposed to, it turns into a pudding consistency. That might work too, that stuff is full of vitamins and calories.

Another thing... for my post workout meals I make egg white omelettes with ricotta cheese inside. If you mix a little milk in the egg and don't overcook it, soft and moist, and healthy.

Hope that helps, I'll post more things as I think of them.
Good suggestions Beet.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Homeless

I was thinking some type of pasta salad...as long as the noodles are done enough and there is plenty of dressing...should be good for gaining a few pounds.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could throw a bunch of scoops of whey, ice cream, milk, peanut butter, plain oatmeal, and some fruit all into a blender. That'd make one hell of a shake
Old 09-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Peanut butter in shakes or whipped up into something that's easy for you to eat would also work...