Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Creatine: Also an antioxidant

Old 03-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Creatine: Also an antioxidant

Creatine monohydrate: the most powerful muscle builder and performance enhancer is also an antioxidant - - by Dr. Paul Cribb Ph.D. CSCS. - - AST Director of Research - - Source: http://www.ast-ss.com/

Micronized Creatine monohydrate is the most effective muscle-building, performance enhancing supplement ever. However, the results of a new study have shown that creatine monohydrate also acts as an antioxidant that protects cells against free radical damage that cause premature ageing and death.

The new study is the first to look at the effect of creatine monohydrate on human cell cultures exposed to a range of oxidizing agents, such as hydrogen peroxide and tert-butylhydroperoxide. At concentrations comparable to those attainable in plasma after oral supplementation, creatine exerted direct antioxidant activity in cultured mammalian cells exposed to the oxidizing agents.

Excessive production of free radicals causes oxidative stress that damage cells and cause premature ageing. The data from this study suggests that creatine monohydrate acts as a direct antioxidant by scavenging free radicals. The researchers found that the presence of creatine in the cell cultures boosted the percentage survival of cells by more than 20% compared to cells exposed to oxidizing agents without creatine.

Supplementation with creatine monohydrate is shown in research to be a safe and highly effective supplement that enhances strength and muscle growth during weight training exercise. Certain organs in the body, such as the heart and brain are sensitive to oxidative damage. Therefore, regular supplementation with creatine monohydrate during exercise would not only speed muscle and strength development it would also help protect these vital organs against oxidative damage that causes premature ageing.

Source: Free Radical Biology and Medicine 40;837-849, 2006.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:16 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO its still not safe long term
Old 03-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by fdl
IMO its still not safe long term

Long-term creatine is shown to be safe. - - by Dr. Paul Cribb Ph.D. CSCS. - - AST Director of Research - - Source: http://www.ast-ss.com/

The results on tests of athletes that have used creatine for up to three continuous years show this supplement causes no detrimental effects to the liver or kidneys. That’s the conclusion of a long-term study recently performed at Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri.

Researchers at Truman State examined the effect of long-term creatine supplementation on the liver and kidney function of collegiate football players. Creatine supplementation was undertaken for an average of 2.9 +/- 1.8 years with supplementation dosages that ranged from 5 to 20-grams per day. When venous blood samples were compared between the creatine treatment and control groups there were no differences found in any of the clinical markers typically used to determine impairments in liver and kidney function. Additionally, all measures determined for the creatine group fell within clinically normal ranges.

International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 12(4):453 – 460, 2002.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I'm not talking about 3 years. I'm talking about 10 years.

And of course I'm not sure, but I can tell you that I was using it for a couple years straight and started to feel pain in kidneys. When I stopped, it went away.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Also:

High dose creatine supplementation does not increase blood pressure or kidney stress. - - by Dr. Paul Cribb Ph.D. CSCS. - - AST Director of Research - - Source: http://www.ast-ss.com/

Creatine monohydrate is probably the most extensively researched sports supplement ever. It is a well-documented performance enhancer and muscle growth stimulator with no reported adverse effects. However, much of the research on creatine is performed on healthy people undertaking an exercise program. No research has directly examined creatine's potential for producing adverse effects in healthy people without the variable of exercise. This study assessed creatine's potential for negative effects, such as increased blood pressure and kidney stress in healthy men and women not participating an exercise program.

The researchers of this study hypothesized that any negative effects of creatine supplementation would most likely occur on a high-dose regime with no exercise. The "no exercise rule" eliminated the possibility of the creatine being "used-up" (metabolized) during muscle contraction. The scientists carefully monitored the blood pressure and kidney function (plasma creatinine concentrations and creatinine clearance rates) of 15 men and 15 women as they supplemented with creatine (20-grams a day for 5-days) and compared these results to those taking a glucose placebo.

The "creatine loading with no exercise" protocol did not produce any adverse effects. No effects were seen in blood pressure, plasma creatinine or creatinine clearance contrast. High does creatine without exercise did not cause kidney stress. However, fat-free mass and total body mass did increase in the participants taking creatine. Interestingly, the observed mass changes were greater for men versus women. It appears that creatine increase lean mass and is safe to take even without performing exercise.

The researchers concluded that acute creatine administration does not affect blood pressure or renal function and the effect of creatine on lean mass may be greater in men than women.

Med. Sci. Sports Exerc.32;2:291-296, 2000.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 AM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a somewhat related topic...
After I donated one of my Kidneys, I decided to stop taking all supplements I was taking prior to my donation. The only supplements I was taking regularly were Creatine, Glutamine and Amino Acids.
(I continued my Whey Protien intake as I don't feel that poses any increased risk)
I have to admit, I didn't do a ton of research on the topic, but I just didn't want to take any unnecessary risks with my lone kidney.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:22 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

^^ I think you know where I stand on this
Old 03-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
On a somewhat related topic...
After I donated one of my Kidneys, I decided to stop taking all supplements I was taking prior to my donation. The only supplements I was taking regularly were Creatine, Glutamine and Amino Acids.
(I continued my Whey Protien intake as I don't feel that poses any increased risk)
I have to admit, I didn't do a ton of research on the topic, but I just didn't want to take any unnecessary risks with my lone kidney.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic?

Donated one of your kidneys! Wow I admire you. Was it to a relative/friend?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by gavriil
Donated one of your kidneys! Wow I admire you. Was it to a relative/friend?
My father. He had a condition known as IGA Nephropathy (sp?) where his kidney's shrunk like dried tomatoes, depleating his renal function. One new kidney and BAM!, good as new.

It was really a small price to pay for all he has done for me...
Old 03-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

My father. He had a condition known as IGA Nephropathy (sp?) where his kidney's shrunk like dried tomatoes, depleating his renal function. One new kidney and BAM!, good as new.

Yes your spelling is right. It's a Greek word. Actually two:

Nephro = kidney
Pathysis = damage (in direct translation = "something wrong with")

Wow what a story dude! Congrats to you and your dad.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:05 PM
That's Racist

that's really moving man.

and i've been on the fence about creatine...