Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Chronic injuries

Old 04-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chronic injuries

I have very bad knees which I believe is an inherited trait from my mother. Its a problem Im more than likely going to be dealing with for the rest of my life. Anyone have a similar issue or another injury that you have to deal with everyday?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Any thoughts on this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t32xJspx50o
Old 04-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Check into "Z health". Corporate hired a coach well versed in this style. I made fun of it and ridiculed people who believed in it. I even tried it to show people how rediculous it was.... Until it cured my right knee and lower back pain I've delt with for 10 years all in a few days.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Check into "Z health". Corporate hired a coach well versed in this style. I made fun of it and ridiculed people who believed in it. I even tried it to show people how rediculous it was.... Until it cured my right knee and lower back pain I've delt with for 10 years all in a few days.
"Cured" really? I may check this out. Thanks
Old 04-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Mri?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I play a doctor on the interwebs and I say lose weight and get in the swimming pool.

Other than that
Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Im 5'7 and 170 (very little body fat although I cant give you a percentage right now). I think my weight is fine. This is an old issue I had from playing basketball in HS.

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Mri?
I shouldve put in my original post that Ive already seen an orthopedic. MRI shows Tendinitis in the right knee and nothing in the left but the pain is there. He recommends physical therapy (which I am doing 3x a week) but I dont really see that helping me out in the long run. Ive been doing my research on the web but It seems there is very little you can do about knee issues.

I bought a bottle of Glucosamine Chondroitin to take every day along with my Mega Men multivitamin. Im hoping it'll help after a few weeks.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,098 Posts
I had a really bad inflammation in my knee from over-exercising it when I was about your same age, around 26. I had never had knee problems before that but all the sudden after hiking a few days in a row I got an incredibly sore and stiff right knee, to the point I was having trouble walking and felt like my knee was going to suddenly give out and I'd fall down. I went to the doctor and was put in physical theropy for 3 weeks. I learned there that there is nothing you can do to strengthen the knee itself, but you can strengthen the muscles around it. Before any run or stenuous leg work outs now-a-days, I do two very specific exercises to strengthen those muscles around my knee. Knock on wood I've never had an inflammation like that ever again, and in fact I rarely have any knee pain at all unless I stop working out all together and then try to go crazy working out without letting my body adjust.

The first exercise consists of sitting on a mat leaning back with my elboes underneath me, keeping one leg bent with the other straigth out, then extending the straight leg up without bending my knee and having my foot slightly angled outwards, and then bringing it back down. I do 25-30 reps for each leg. Then the second exercise I do is I lay on my side, lower arm supporting my body, and extend the lower leg up and back down while again keeping it straight and not bending at the knee. 25-30 reps, then flip to the other side and repeat with the opposite leg for the same number of reps.

These two coupled with enough calf and quad stretches keeps my knees pain free. I'm obvioulsy not going to say it'll work 100% for you, but I was in the same boat and it's helped incredibly.

Last edited by SuperTrooper169; 04-30-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Those are the exact exercises they make me do in physical therapy. Glad to know they worked for somebody because I was beginning to think they were useless. Ive also been icing my knees everyday but the pain still lingers...

It just sucks because I really love to train my legs (Yes I am aware that over-training probably contributed to my problem). Now when I go to the gym I only focus on upper body workouts. Thanks for the advice though. I'll continue doing more research while using your method. Hopefully something works