Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Anyone here have celiac disease (gluten allergy)?

Old 06-13-2012, 07:09 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Anyone here have celiac disease (gluten allergy)?

My son, we think, had an abnormal test regarding this disease, so we're assuming that he has it. We've already changed his diet, but we've heard from people that have this that if one person has it, the entire family has to change their diet to a gluten-free diet. That's going to be an expensive change for us.

Anyone on here have it, and how did you cope with it?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
My wife was diagnosed with gluten, corn, celery, tree nut, shellfish, and mustard seed allergies about 4 to 5 years ago. Suffice it to say we're VERY particular with the foodstuffs that are present in this home! While the whole family DOESN'T have to change their dietary standards, it simply boils down to a matter of practicality. I'll use some examples:

If we make an Asian dish, she has to use a gluten free soy sauce. So either she preps the dish sans sauce and add post-prep, OR I simply eat the gluten free stuff. If we have "pasta" with a meal, we have it of the black bean or rice variety, and if you're not a big fan of pasta in the first place, you'll enjoy the nutritional superiority the black bean variant has to offer. I don't eat bread, the wife eats these rye "bricks" that I believe would work better as wheel chocks than foodstuffs. So there WILL be changes, if you're so unwavering in your own dietary wantons...otherwise, yes...the ENTIRE family will be undergoing some major changes.

Your child is young, so snacking will be the toughest part. My wife is a classic grazer, so we have lots of celiac friendly trail mix, black bean chips, Greek yogurts, veggies, and the like...so your little guy is going to have to start getting used to things such as this. I will almost guarantee corn and wheat are OUT. THIS will be the toughest for him...and you, as a father.

BUT...it's not all bad. This diet really forces you to abandon all pre prepared foods, and unless you're independently wealthy, be prepared to spend a considerably larger amount time in the kitchen as the pre preapred gluten free stuff is SHOCKINGLY expensive.

It's not all bad, though...her cauliflower pizza and triple chocolate cookies put anything I've ever known to contain corn/flour to shame!

You guys are in for a BIG change...but I'm quite vetted in this arena and have even gone so far as of late to making my own sunbutter to curtail costs. If you and your wife need some extra help (YOU WILL...from one engineer to another...from one father to another), shoot me a PM and I'll give you my wife's FB info. Either she or I can help you with everything gluten and show you some of the earlier resources we used during these trying times.

It's a big change, but in the end, the improvements you'll all need to make are ALLL for the better!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Thanks man. I appreciate all the information. My son seems to be doing pretty good with it, and he even knows what he can and cannot eat.

It just sucks that the little guy has it.