Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Anterior Pelvic Tilt

Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Anterior Pelvic Tilt

So I think I might have found the answer to my low back pain... My massage therapist has been hinting at it, but they are not allowed to "diagnose". Doctors just want to write a prescription. So I have been doing some self examination and reading and it makes sense.

Basically the muscles that act on the tilt of the pelvis end up tight in front, and stretched and weak in the back. Result: low back pain, a visible swayback, and in some cases abdominal muscle stress.

Standing for any period of time results in low back pain that quickly radiates up into my erectors, causing an immense amount of tension that eventually creates a strain and then debilitating pain that is only relieved by giving into the tight muscles at the hip and curling up into a ball.

My question... Has anyone been diagnosed? Anyone rehabilitated? Supposedly it is very common in desk jockeys.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IANA doctor but a lot of that has to do with muscle imbalances. vast majority of the population do not work their posterior chain muscles - glutes/hamstrings/lower back/back. your "tilt" can also be due to very tight hip flexors. i dunno if you workout in any capacity, but, if you do, i'd wager you do the typical bench press/bicep curl/crunches type of workout. years of working out like that will mess you up. your problem can be "fixed" but it'll take a completely different approach to working out and it'll take lots of rehab and lots of stretching to fix your posture.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you just talking about overall low back pain??

anterior pelvic tilts are good to do in that they can help strengthen your core in which overall helps strengthens your back.

my advice would be just to try to keep a neutral spine at all times and in everything you do.

I recommend you do some McKenzie back extension exercises, work your way from prone, prone on elbows, quadraped to standing.
If you get a chance to read McKenzie's book "treat your own back" you can find everything in there. if not, just google McKenzie back extension exercises.

takes a few weeks to see a change.

if not, go see a physical therapist
Old 05-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
sounds like you need to see a real physical therapist and not a message therapist. A good doctor will refer you and not just write a script. Looks like lots of stretching will help along with some light weight training to get yourself back into alignment. I bet fishing helps or atleast that's what i'd tell the wife.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks all. I have been conciously paying attention to my posture and started a program of specific stretches. Basically I find that my neutral spine is not a 'natural' posture for me - so I basically need to retrain myself to have a naturally neutral spine. What I have been finding is that it isnt easy. I still havent found what the right pelvic positioning is when seated. It is easy to find neutral spine when standing.

In any case I guess it will come with effort.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just go see a physical therapist, these days you don't need a prescription for PT, they can get you on the correct exercise program to retrain your muscles for a correct posture when sitting.

FYI..if you're sitting at a desk at home or at work for a few hours outta the day, sit on a theraball (the big exercise balls); I guarantee you'll be able to find your neutral spine; it forces you into the position. it's just a cheap and easy solution
Old 05-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by SportsJunkie
just go see a physical therapist, these days you don't need a prescription for PT, they can get you on the correct exercise program to retrain your muscles for a correct posture when sitting.

FYI..if you're sitting at a desk at home or at work for a few hours outta the day, sit on a theraball (the big exercise balls); I guarantee you'll be able to find your neutral spine; it forces you into the position. it's just a cheap and easy solution
great tip on the big ass yoga ball.