Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Advice on losing cholesterol

Old 12-19-2008, 11:11 PM
TL ftw!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on losing cholesterol

I have a feeling I have high cholesterol since I've been eating alot of meat lately. I'd always have 2 meals of steak everyday with rice and stuff. I have a bit of chest pain right now and I just wanted advice from you guys for losing cholesterol? I work out but my problem is I love to eat STEAK/MEAT etc. I googled this already but I only got results with taking pills but I don't want to take pills. What are the best tasting foods that will help lose cholesterol? I don't want to eat anything like oatmeal for breakfast but I will give cheerios a shot or raisin bran.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
a. See a Doctor
b. To get medicine (like Lipitor)
c. Avoid bacon
d. Avoid Stogie
Old 12-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Sounds like you don't even know what your level is. Go to doc first to get the number. Who knows, you could have a decent number and can continue to indulge.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Racer

Stop eating steak twice a day, everyday?
Old 12-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Some factors that affect teh cholesteral level:
Diet, Weight, Physical activity, Age, Gender, Heredity.

Was checking a source and decided to C&P info (link at bottom)
Saturated fat raises your LDL cholesterol ("bad" cholesterol) level more than anything else in your diet. As part of a heart healthy diet, it is recommended that people limit their intake of saturated fat to 7 percent to 10 percent of their diet. For people who already have high cholesterol, it is recommended that saturated fat intake be less than 7 percent.

Saturated fats are found most often in animal-based food, including:

Beef
Poultry
Veal
Processed meats (such as sausage, bologna, salami, and hot dogs)
Egg yolks
Butter
Whole milk dairy products (such as milk, cream, cheese, and ice cream)
Baked goods (store-baked goods are often made with egg yolks and saturated fats and frequently contain trans fatty acids).

Some plant-based foods are also high in saturated fats, including:

Coconut and coconut oil
Palm oil
Palm kernel oil.

Since these foods come from a plant, they are not considered to be foods that are high in cholesterol. Despite this, they can have a big impact on increasing blood cholesterol levels.

Trans Fats

Trans fatty acids, or trans fats, are made when liquid vegetable oil is heated in the presence of hydrogen. This process is known as hydrogenation. The more hydrogenated an oil is, the harder it will be at room temperature and the more trans fat it will contain.

Trans fat is found in:

Commercially baked goods
Margarines
Snack foods (cookies and crackers)
Processed foods
Fried foods (such as French fries or doughnuts).

Trans fats are even worse for cholesterol levels than saturated fat and cholesterol itself because they raise LDL cholesterol and lower HDL ("good") cholesterol.

When reading food labels, look for the words "hydrogenated" and "partially hydrogenated" in the ingredient list. These foods are loaded with trans fat and saturated fat. Also, look for the words "trans fat" on the food label.
http://cholesterol.emedtv.com/high-c...olesterol.html

First thing is to stop eating foods high in the above mentioned so you can stop increasing your chol levels
Second - exercise and a balanced diet with whole grains & fiber (oatmeal/cheerios) can lower chol levels.

3 years ago, i was told i had high chol levels. I had a diet of mostly white meat, maybe 2 servings of beef/redmeat per week & barely any whole grains. My switch was going to the gym 3-4 times a week and eating oatmeal 3-4 times for brkfst per week. With the gym time, i found myself out of energy eating chicken/light stuff so i added more beef to the diet. Now i get about 12 servings of beef a week but still, i have acceptable chol levels now and its remained steady. Of course, cutting out fast food and donuts & pastries helped
Old 12-22-2008, 04:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Eat oats.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Seriously, go see a doctor.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Get a fasting lipid profile (total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides). You may have familial dysbetalipoproteinemia or hyperlipidemia and eating so much steak certainly isn't helping. Dietary modification, exercise, and possibly acholesterol lowering agent such as a statin would be beneficial.

Let's hope your chest pain is gastroesophageal reflux and not angina.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
If you donate blood they'll run your cholestorel level too.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:16 PM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Vytorin...went from 296 to 146 in a matter of months. easiest thing to do, so side effect i am aware of for me, i do not drink much.

steer clear of fast foods.