Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Abs by April...

Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Abs by April...

This has become my mantra in the last few weeks. I just up and decided to do it a few months ago. In the last few weeks I ramped up and have made changes to my diet, hit the gym and generally just focused on doing what I need to lose fat.

I have not lost weight - I dont expect to lose any more than a few pounds given my body type - I am 175lbs at 5'10". I have lost nearly an inch already from waist and hips - enough that I am noticing pants fitting a bit looser. I am pretty happy with that in just over 2 weeks of effort.

My one complaint though is that i dont think my 42 year old body just isn't gonna look good lean. Old man bodies are wrinkly and sinewy and generally gross. Is there any older guys here who managed to keep a body that looks firm without being hard and woody looking.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you are mistaken, sir.
Daniel Craig is middle aged and has an awesome physique.

Everything you do, depends on your goals.
if your current goal right now is to lose the fat and get better abs, then your diet should accommodate this.

if your goal is to look firm and muscular, then your gym routine and diet will play apart in reaching your goal.

Last edited by justnspace; 01-26-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
If I was 5'10" - 175lbs, I wouldn't try to lose any more weight. That's already borderline skinny.

You can't compare a let's say a 22yr old body to a 42yr old body with those specs. Of course the younger body will have less age to it. How about adding some weight training to tighten up some of the muscles?

Oh and at first I thought "Abs by April" was another training video from a woman named April til it clicked to me.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by JLatimer
... I am 175lbs at 5'10". I have lost nearly an inch already from waist and hips - enough that I am noticing pants fitting a bit looser. I am pretty happy with that in just over 2 weeks of effort.

My one complaint though is that i dont think my 42 year old body just isn't gonna look good lean. Old man bodies are wrinkly and sinewy and generally gross. Is there any older guys here who managed to keep a body that looks firm without being hard and woody looking.
Your weight is a bit low for Height and Age.
The trick is to keep lean mean as you age and you slow down.
D. Craig is an awesome body type to follow.
He works out a lot.
Weights, Steam room, and eats lots of Protein
per article I read in Mens Health (Look into this mag).
What you eat is very important.
Abs by April would be good but Abs by D. Graig is better.
Who is this April Chic anyway ??
Old 01-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Above n Beyond

Old 01-26-2012, 06:43 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Abs by April....is this a new cologne?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Above n Beyond

Abs by April, by April.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Age just doesn't play a huge role with guys. I put on muscle mass and strength quicker than I ever did in my '20s. The bodyfat takes a little longer to lose but it's not a big change.

I wouldn't even think about age when you're training, you'll only talk yourself out of following through. If it really bothers you, you can always get blood work done and talk to your doctor about testosterone therapy or GH if it's actually needed. It will completely level the playing field.

I can't stand long diets so I do it quickly. I'm 229 right now, currently consuming under 1,000 calories a day, and averaging almost 1lb a day loss. Just a little cardio and some weights but only 1 set of whatever muscle I'm doing. Not too healthy but not that unhealthy and it's over with in under a month. Also winning the Biggest Loser contest at work every week against our resident steroid freak and all of the obese people. I usually put on a little more muscle than I need so if I lose a little during these diets it's not going to matter much.

A very lean 175lbs is not a bad size for 5'10". This is one of my best friends who is also 5'10" and 175 is about the biggest he ever gets during the summer.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Although i would like to look like D. Craig it takes a commitment that isnt really within reach for me. I am somewhat limited as a father/husband and working man. That isnt an excuse but is just an honest self examination. I just want to be able to see those abs hiding down there.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
I am in the same boat (family and work). What works for me is setting aside 10-15 mins 2-3 times a day working on a specific set of muscles. I work from home so it's a bit easier.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Although i would like to look like D. Craig it takes a commitment that isnt really within reach for me. I am somewhat limited as a father/husband and working man. That isnt an excuse but is just an honest self examination. I just want to be able to see those abs hiding down there.
it does take dedication.
30 mins in a gym a day, does wonders.

if your current goal is to just see those abs, then it'll be your diet that you have to change.
cut the carbs.
The following users liked this post:
JLatimer (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
If you cant do abs by D. Craig in full gym - you might try abs by Jake.
http://bodybyjake.com/
Abs by April might look a bit too female for a father type.
mcflyguy24 (02-04-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Getting rid of the bodyfat will get you the abs, not working them to make them bigger. Thats a good thing because most of it is diet and requires little work. I'm assuming you're going to eat whatever is cooked for dinner which is ok, just significantly cut your calories before then. Basic situps whenever you get the time will be fine.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Want to do it but don't like to, or don't have the time to work out? Join a cross-fit. Holy crap... they kick your ass, but you will get in shape quickly! Supplement that with some cardio and you'll be in shape in no time.

BTW, I have a good friend who is 44 y/o and his body looks like the picture i hate cars posted. He's in great shape. He worked to get there years ago... but maintaining it is much easier...
Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
it does take dedication.

if your current goal is to just see those abs, then it'll be your diet that you have to change.
cut the carbs.
This. My trainer/friend is 48 years old and looks 10 years younger. Part DNA but part his lifestyle. Lots of protein every meal. Only carbs he eats are veggies, salads, nuts, and fruits. Swore off grains, beans, pastas. Eats fats like cheese and meat. So I tried it and in 6 weeks I lost 25 lbs. Workouts are 20 minute cross fit/boot camp style workouts that are never the same.

If you can't make it to a gym daily, buy a used bar, weights, jump rope, and a mat. Then follow this: http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/

The hardest part will be your self-discipline but you have a nice goal to achieve.
justnspace (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Above n Beyond

Originally Posted by EL_PIC
If you cant do abs by D. Craig in full gym - you might try abs by Jake.
http://bodybyjake.com/
Abs by April might look a bit too female for a father type.
LOL Dude, you crack me up.

It's April, as in the month, not a girls name. He wants Abs by the month of April.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 AM

^^^ Hahaha.

Yeah, no chick by the name of April is gonna get me abs. Unless of course she is gonna prepare all my meals for me and smack me in the head when I go for the cookies.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Getting rid of the bodyfat will get you the abs, not working them to make them bigger. Thats a good thing because most of it is diet and requires little work. I'm assuming you're going to eat whatever is cooked for dinner which is ok, just significantly cut your calories before then. Basic situps whenever you get the time will be fine.
it does take dedication.

cut the carbs.
For the most part I am eating what is cooked for dinner but controlling portion to cut calories and carbs. I can't eliminate the carbs because I become a very unpleasant person to be around when I am craving carbs.
I am cutting booze back by eliminating casual drinks.
I have replaced sugary afternoon snacks with Celery and Cucumber.
I am doing the gym every other day saving the off day for stretching type exercises.

Originally Posted by EL_PIC
Your weight is a bit low for Height and Age.
The trick is to keep lean mean as you age and you slow down.
My weight sounds a bit low but trust me I am fat. Think of a shrunken Will Ferrell.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I'm 229 right now, currently consuming under 1,000 calories a day, and averaging almost 1lb a day loss. Just a little cardio and some weights but only 1 set of whatever muscle I'm doing.
How do you possibly maintain sanity and energy at 1000 calories a day. I am a little guy and I would be dead at 1000 calories - I certainly wouldn't be able to make it to the gym.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:09 PM

right, carbs are a source of energy.
you'll need to find a perfect balance of carbs to where you still have energy, but enough to where its not going straight to your belly. and every one is different, so what works for one might not work for you.

good job on cutting the drinks and sugary snacks.
what are you doing at the gym?
and how often do you eat?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 PM

what are you doing at the gym?
and how often do you eat?
Typical gym visit takes just over one hour.

10 minutes on the elliptical to get my heart rate to 120-130. Then i head upstairs and start a circuit that covers the whole body and keeps reps around 12. My goal is to keep my heart rate up so I never rest more than 6 seconds between sets, never more than 15 if changing exercises. My exercises change constantly because I will never wait for a machine/weight or work sets in between anyone else. I don't chat or visit with anyone and restrict water breaks to trips that take me past the water fountain. I end up with a very eclectic mix of exercises that take me between machines and free-weights. I finish up with a bit of core exercises on the floor.

I eat about 5+ times a day.
-Breakfast is a protein dose at home mixed with water, then as soon as I get to work I have a fruit smoothie with frozen yoghurt.
-Then lunch is my next meal
-Afternoon snack (lately has been celery and cucumber)
-Dinner biggest meal of the day
-A late day snack (protein on gym days, a dozen nachos on other days)

There is a few cheats here and there - for example Sunday nights I play hockey and frequently go for Beer and pizza after the game - to me that is guilt free because I just played 1.5 hours of hockey.

A funny lesson learned on breakfast. I used to have a bowl of cereal with my daughter. Have you ever looked at the nutritional content of Raisin Bran? Next time my daughter asks for Raisin Bran I am gonna offer her Fruit Loops.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:50 PM

SUGAR!!! lol

good job, JLAT.
keep at it
Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Team Owner

10 minutes on the elliptical to get my heart rate to 120-130. Then i head upstairs and start a circuit that covers the whole body and keeps reps around 12. My goal is to keep my heart rate up so I never rest more than 6 seconds between sets, never more than 15 if changing exercises. My exercises change constantly because I will never wait for a machine/weight or work sets in between anyone else. I don't chat or visit with anyone and restrict water breaks to trips that take me past the water fountain. I end up with a very eclectic mix of exercises that take me between machines and free-weights. I finish up with a bit of core exercises on the floor.

-Breakfast is a protein dose at home mixed with water, then as soon as I get to work I have a fruit smoothie with frozen yoghurt.

There is a few cheats here and there - for example Sunday nights I play hockey and frequently go for Beer and pizza after the game - to me that is guilt free because I just played 1.5 hours of hockey.

A funny lesson learned on breakfast. I used to have a bowl of cereal with my daughter. Have you ever looked at the nutritional content of Raisin Bran? Next time my daughter asks for Raisin Bran I am gonna offer her Fruit Loops.
Change up the # of reps. I did a workout yesterday where first set of everything was 10, then 15, then 20. Add in body weight exercises like pushups, burpees, situps, pull ups (if possible), frog jumps. etc. Don't do just all weights everyday.

Kill the nachos
Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Above n Beyond

^ In bold is definately not helping.
Your largest meals need to be eaten early in the day so you can work it off. If you have your biggest meal of the day at 6,7,8pm and then are sitting around the house, your body has no time to burn it off and will turn into fat.

For dinner I have grilled chicken breasts, low fat cottage cheese, turkey sandwiches with 1 pc of bread, vegetables, etc...things high in protein but low on carbs so you're not sleeping on it. Easier for the body to digests.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
Here's a good line from a colleague of mine.. "Fuck the gym and dieting.. Just spend your money on building good memories.."
Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

^short memory when you die from a heart attack and diabetes at 40
Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
^ In bold is definately not helping.
Your largest meals need to be eaten early in the day so you can work it off. If you have your biggest meal of the day at 6,7,8pm and then are sitting around the house, your body has no time to burn it off and will turn into fat.

For dinner I have grilled chicken breasts, low fat cottage cheese, turkey sandwiches with 1 pc of bread, vegetables, etc...things high in protein but low on carbs so you're not sleeping on it. Easier for the body to digests.
I kinda disagree.
calories are calories, no matter where you get them.
eating small portions throughout the day, and then a normal sized dinner would be okay.

if you are weight lifting, then you are burning calories even when you are sleeping.
HIIT running allows you to burn calories while sleeping as well.
crossfit is a form of HIIT.
and what he described in his gym routine, sounds like HIIT training.

little to no rest, in between sets.

Last edited by justnspace; 01-27-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Above n Beyond

^ To each their own.

When I want to gain weight, I eat more and later in the day.

When I am cutting (which I am starting now), I transition my heavy meals to the front of my day and less at night. Add some cardio and I burn fat cals very quickly.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:32 PM

^ To each their own.

When I want to gain weight, I eat more and later in the day.

When I am cutting (which I am starting now), I transition my heavy meals to the front of my day and less at night. Add some cardio and I burn fat cals very quickly.
right, you eat MORE.
and then when you cut, you eat less.
a very simple science.

your body is still expending calories at night when you sleep.

Last edited by justnspace; 01-27-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Above n Beyond

right, you eat MORE.
and then when you cut, you eat less.
No sir, I eat just about as much, I just move my heavier meals (with the most calories) to earlier in the day.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM

No sir, I eat just about as much, I just move my heavier meals (with the most calories) to earlier in the day.
to grow, you need a certain amount of calories.
you're telling me, that when you cut or lean out you eat the same amount of food as when you're beefing up!?
this goes against logic, you must be super human.

logic says:
to lose weight; eat less calories.
to grow; eat more calories.

Last edited by justnspace; 01-27-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Above n Beyond

to grow, you need a certain amount of calories.
you're telling me, that when you cut or lean out you eat the same amount of food as when your beefing up!?
this goes against logic, you must be super human.

logic says:
to lose weight; eat less calories.
to grow; eat more calories.
Dude, every BODY is different. Let me spell this out for you since you appear to not understand.

Say I eat 3000 cals/day.

Bulk period - I can eat 3000 calories/day of carbs/protein and gain weight, with no cardio. I eat any part of the day I want.

Cut period, I can eat 3000 calories/day about the SAME foods, WITH cardio...lose weight. I move my meals around to eat more in the morning and less throughout the day so that it's easier for my body to digest and I am not going to bed on a full stomach.

In conclusion, I am not going to deprive myself of food. I am going to do things at the gym to burn it off quicker. (I.E. HIIT or Circuits)

This is why I hardly contribute in this section. Everyone is a professional trainer/dietician.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 PM

DING DING DING DING!

its the cardio that helps you lose the weight. not the time of day you eat your biggest meals.

Do you remember Science fair?
Variables and control.

you have your control - same amount of calories. 3000.
the only thing you're doing different is adding the cardio.

I agree every one is different, but the general practices remain the same.
to lose weight; expend more calories than you put in.

Last edited by justnspace; 01-27-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Above n Beyond

^ Wow, congrats captain obvious!
You still have not proved a single point.

MY POINT to the guy was, no need to necessarily cut cals, just move the meals around and increase the cardio.

Just saying what works for me.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Above n Beyond

Justnspace what's your height/weight/BF ? ....just curious.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:07 PM

^ Wow, congrats captain obvious!
You still have not proved a single point.

MY POINT to the guy was, no need to necessarily cut cals, just move the meals around and increase the cardio.

Just saying what works for me.
right.
thats why its so simple.
eat less + cardio = weight loss.

when you're gaining, why do you think they tell you not to do so much cardio?

i'm 5'6 at 170lbs.
I dont care for body fat percentage.
if i had to guess, anywhere from 15 -20%

Last edited by justnspace; 01-27-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Above n Beyond

right.
thats why its so simple.
eat less + cardio = weight loss.

when you're gaining, why do you think they tell you not to do so much cardio?

i'm 5'6 at 170lbs.
I dont care for body fat percentage.
if i had to guess, anywhere from 15 -20%
Why are you asking and telling me formulas that I already know? LOL

Yes, most people need to eat less + cardio = weight loss.
My formula is - eat same all year round + increase cardio or HIIT= weight loss.

I'm talking 5-15lbs weight loss/gain. If you're looking at major cuts to your weight, then of course you must cut something out of your diet to help.
Let's just agree to disagree at this point.

JLat, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 PM

Why are you asking and telling me formulas that I already know? LOL

Yes, most people need to eat less + cardio = weight loss.
My formula is - eat same all year round + increase cardio or HIIT= weight loss.

I'm talking 5-15lbs weight loss/gain. If you're looking at major cuts to your weight, then of course you must cut something out of your diet to help.
Let's just agree to disagree at this point.

JLat, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
thank you for proving my point!
Jlats goal is to see his abs.
which he is going to need to cut calories and do cardio.
which he has been doing.

Keep up the good work, JLAT!

Last edited by justnspace; 01-27-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Team Owner

You guys are getting hung up on how much you eat instead of what you eat. My same friend who I mentioned above eats a lot of protein a day. Carb control is key. He doesn't count calories. Just for background he is a professional trainer and has worked for a professional sports organization and has trained pro bodybuilders.
justnspace (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 03:25 PM

^which i've already covered. teehee
Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Above n Beyond

thank you for proving my point!
Jlats goal is to see his abs.
which he is going to need to cut calories and do cardio.
which he has been doing.

Keep up the good work, JLAT!

LMAO I am around 205lbs now, have a six pack and I haven't cut a single calorie to get it. Not bragging just unproving whatever point you made.

Originally Posted by Doom878
You guys are getting hung up on how much you eat instead of what you eat. My same friend who I mentioned above eats a lot of protein a day. Carb control is key. He doesn't count calories. Just for background he is a professional trainer and has worked for a professional sports organization and has trained pro bodybuilders.
I'm not hung up on anything. I told what works for me. I don't count calories. I know exactly what goes into my body and what works to gain weight/lose weight.

^which i've already covered. teehee
Quit trying to pretend like you proved me wrong or that you know what you're talking about.

Quick Reply: Abs by April...