AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   Would you buy 6MT 2010 AWD ? (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/would-you-buy-6mt-2010-awd-977741/)

2012wagon 03-06-2019 05:56 PM

Would you buy 6MT 2010 AWD ?

A friend of a friend is selling. 2010. 103K miles. 6MT. Asking $10,500. I know the 3.7l has the oil burn issue. Of course that isn't something I imagine I can check? It is 2 states over. Has maintenance records from Acura. Stock clutch still.

Timing belt/water pump has NOT been done yet. Has new tires and brakes.

Appreciate your input and help. Anything to look out for? Worth the price? Has Ebony leather.

04SSMnMD 03-11-2019 04:50 PM

There is a factory recall for the oil consumption, with that recall they will replace the timing belt/water pump so it would be like a new car. Just get a new clutch.

justnspace 03-11-2019 05:49 PM

yes, I would buy the 6MT SHAWD in a heart beat.

although, not a looker, the driving experience is where it's at.

4G-Lover 03-12-2019 01:41 PM

Once you take all the necessary precautions and mechanical check-up, yes, I would get one in a heartbeat...very rare, so far the pinnacle of Acura sport sedans.
Beautiful to look at and to drive.

Nev05 03-13-2019 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16396386)
yes, I would buy the 6MT SHAWD in a heart beat.

although, not a looker, the driving experience is where it's at.

I agree with you 100% on this. When the 4G TL first came out, I never liked the look. Addition to the 09-11 grille, I also did not like the bulkiness of it. Couple years later my priorities have shifted and I have matured and realized 6MT+AWD>looks.

That being said, to answer the OP, definite yes.
It took me 6 months to find mine and I drove 3 hours to get it, so consider yourself lucky. You will not regret it.

horseshoez 03-13-2019 10:23 AM

If I could ever bring myself to get over the looks of the 4G TL (my eyes say, "¡No bueno Señor!"), then a 6MT equipped SH-AWD would be very high on my list.

justnspace 03-13-2019 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nev05 (Post 16397302)
I agree with you 100% on this. When the 4G TL first came out, I never liked the look. Addition to the 09-11 grille, I also did not like the bulkiness of it. Couple years later my priorities have shifted and I have matured and realized 6MT+AWD>looks.

That being said, to answer the OP, definite yes.
It took me 6 months to find mine and I drove 3 hours to get it, so consider yourself lucky. You will not regret it.

with exterior modifications, the car CAN look good!

NBP04TL4ME 03-13-2019 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16397304)
If I could ever bring myself to get over the looks of the 4G TL (my eyes say, "¡No bueno Señor!"), then a 6MT equipped SH-AWD would be very high on my list.

:agree: and am waiting to see what the next Type-S looks like.

dopeboy1 03-13-2019 12:26 PM

I think we can all agree that a stock base 09-11 doesn't look good (actually I don't even really like a stock base 12-14). But add tech pkg and color match grille then it looks good. Also add aspec body kit and lower it then it looks fookin awesome!

So yes I would buy a 2010 6mt shawdy.

justnspace 03-13-2019 12:31 PM

I figure enthusiast would mod the exterior anyway. simple mods instantly make the car look better

4G-Lover 03-13-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16397401)
I think we can all agree that a stock base 09-11 doesn't look good (actually I don't even really like a stock base 12-14). But add tech pkg and color match grille then it looks good. Also add aspec body kit and lower it then it looks fookin awesome!

So yes I would buy a 2010 6mt shawdy.

No, we do not agree at all on the look...the 4G, especially the 2009-2011 look just fine....I still prefer it over so many more modern cars...it was unique, standout and bad ass....

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...19d42621a3.jpg

I agree that the RonJon grille made the TL look even better...

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...abc0bdd251.jpg

horseshoez 03-13-2019 12:45 PM

@4G-Lover, while there are certainly folks to whom the looks of a 4G are pleasing, many folks, myself included, think one of the largest reasons why the 4G, even with all of the extra tech, failed to sell anywhere near as well as the 3G is the polarizing, and to many distasteful, looks.

4G-Lover 03-13-2019 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16397409)
@4G-Lover, while there are certainly folks to whom the looks of a 4G are pleasing, many folks, myself included, think one of the largest reasons why the 4G, even with all of the extra tech, failed to sell anywhere near as well as the 3G is the polarizing, and to many distasteful, looks.

My theory is, crappy economy when it was introduced, too big for some, the SUV mania was well under way and no folding rear seat. Yes the look was polarizing but not as a much of a factor that many think. The V6 TLX (which is supposed to be prettier by Acura loyalist) I bet it sold less than the 4G....
I got complimented on the look of my 4G (bone stock SH-AWD 6MT black on black) the day after I got it....as a matter of fact I got complimented on my 4G way more than the car I drove after that, a Q50S (actually it got no compliment at all on the Infiniti). To me the 4G made the BMW E90 look as boring as a Civic next to it.

horseshoez 03-13-2019 08:34 PM

Glad it makes you happy. I maintain it'll never attain the status of the 3G TL; only time will tell.

4G-Lover 03-14-2019 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16397718)
Glad it makes you happy. I maintain it'll never attain the status of the 3G TL; only time will tell.

I believe a 4G SH-AWD 6MT is already more desirable than a 3G 6MT in the used market....and it is much more rare.

horseshoez 03-14-2019 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover (Post 16397925)
I believe a 4G SH-AWD 6MT is already more desirable than a 3G 6MT in the used market....and it is much more rare.

I suppose to you, but the 3G, in spite of being older, is still fetching a higher dollar.

losiglow 03-14-2019 12:02 PM

I agree that the biggest disadvantage to the 4G are its looks. When done right however, it can look pretty sharp. The grill modification is probably highest priority if you're shooting for a 2009-2011. I never liked any of the beaks on Acura's coming out between 2008-2012 or so. Honestly, if it weren't for the change they made to it for the 2012-2014 years, it would have singlehandedly been enough to dissuade me from buying one.

The only other kicker is the transmission (prior to 2012 mid-model refresh) is a 5AT. For me, the 6AT was important. My last two vehicles were 6MTs. It was enough to lose the manual. I wasn't going to lose an extra gear as well. Double negative.

4G-Lover 03-14-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16397950)
I suppose to you, but the 3G, in spite of being older, is still fetching a higher dollar.

Not even close (just checked on cars.com)
Only some low mileage (sub 100K) Type S (2007-2008 vintage) get close to a run of the mill 6MT used SH-AWD
There are 6MT SH-AWD with asking price still over 20K.
The 4G is the superior car compared to the 3G under any imaginable aspect.

MyGuti 03-14-2019 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover (Post 16397996)
Only some low mileage (sub 100K) Type S (2007-2008 vintage) get close to a run of the mill 6MT used SH-AWD

except aesthetics

horseshoez 03-14-2019 01:08 PM

Clearly in your mind, not so much for most other folks. Sorry, your arguments are falling on deaf ears and blind eyes.

4G-Lover 03-14-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16398006)
Clearly in your mind, not so much for most other folks. Sorry, your arguments are falling on deaf ears and blind eyes.

Look at asking prices and you will find your answers. Facts do not care for your ability to accept them :toocool:

horseshoez 03-14-2019 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover (Post 16398013)
Look at asking prices and you will find your answers. Facts do not care for your ability to accept them :toocool:

You're pretty funny, you cherrypick numbers and call them facts. Have a nice day, I'm done here. :beatit:

4G-Lover 03-14-2019 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16398018)
You're pretty funny, you cherrypick numbers and call them facts. Have a nice day, I'm done here. :beatit:

You are "done" because you have no arguments other than parroting "everybody (everybody who??) thinks the 4G is ugly"

Well, let me give you another dose of reality, some of the comments of the press when the 4G TL arrived and was tested.

Car & Driver

Highs: Heads swivel when you arrive, Velcro traction, plush-to-the-touch cockpit, g-defying embrace of the seats

The Verdict: An all-weather interceptor with looks to match.

Let’s just get this out of the way. Yes, the beaky nose on the new Acura TL looks odd. Maybe it’s just the shock of a new look; maybe it really is weird-looking. We’ll need more time to gaze critically upon it before we decide. We can, however, testify that it looks better in the flesh than in photographs and that the rest of the TL’s angular, modern shape is assuredly handsome, especially in the pointed shape of the trunk

Finally, an Acura sculpted front to back with a single theme in mind, rakish, ominous, one step short of menacing. If ever there was a car meant to look sinister in the images transmitted from a Predator drone circling overhead, it’s the 2009 Acura TL. This is brave, and the more we look, the more we see a breakthrough design.

Road & Track

"it's evocative of Cadillac's Art and Science treatment yet with a distinctly Japanese twist, and a significant departure from the quasi-Alfa 159 styling that characterized the previous TL. People on the street do react to it, some even going out of their way to pay a compliment. "

I totally agree with the last comment by Road & Track about the similarities with Cadillac Art & Science design language, this is one of the (many) reasons why I love my new CTS-V, it reminds me of my 4G

Have a nice day!

RenoTL 03-14-2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 04SSMnMD (Post 16396366)
There is a factory recall for the oil consumption, with that recall they will replace the timing belt/water pump so it would be like a new car. Just get a new clutch.

Of course, this only applies to cars with the "oil consumption" issue that has been verified by a Dealer. Not all 4th Gen TLs have this issue.

losiglow 03-14-2019 02:50 PM

Having owned a 3G for about 4 years and my current 4G for 2 1/2 years, I can attest to this wholeheartedly. There is literally nothing that isn't better in the 4G vs. the 3G EXCEPT looks, which is subjective. Transmission (auto) is more reliable, stereo is leagues better, LESS RATTLES!, leather is thicker and more robust - especially if you have the Milano that comes with the Tech and Advanced trims, stock suspension is better, 0-60 is better, list goes on and on - and that's all comparing to the 4G FWD. The SH-AWD is a different animal in a bunch of other ways of course.

I loved my 3G. The only reason I got rid of it is because I totaled it. Otherwise I'd probably still be driving it. But the only thing it had going for it over the 4G is the 6MT. And the look of the 3G is sort of timeless. Otherwise, from strictly a technical standpoint, the 4G is a vast improvement. Had it not been for the polarizing looks and the recession hitting right when it came out, it probably would have been a much bigger seller.

4G-Lover 03-14-2019 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16398064)
Having owned a 3G for about 4 years and my current 4G for 2 1/2 years, I can attest to this wholeheartedly. There is literally nothing that isn't better in the 4G vs. the 3G EXCEPT looks, which is subjective.

Back in the day in the forum, when the 4G was new, quite few of us cross shopped the 4G with the 5 Series and the A6...that gives you an idea of how good the 4G was compared to its price tag, punching well above its weight.

The 3G is a very good FWD sporty sedan, the 4G SH-AWD is a bona fide sport sedan.

The people back then that claimed that the 3G was "better" probably they were saying so because they could not afford a 4G SH-AWD....:wish:

Kingcredible 03-15-2019 11:32 AM

I bought my 6MT 2 months ago. It was a very reckless, very impulsive decision. I did everything YOU SHOULDN'T do when buying a new car. I had it shipped long distance from across the country without every laying eyes on it. Didn't test drive it. Didn't have it inspected by a mechanic. To say I got lucky is a monumental understatement. Not only did I get the car of my dreams ( I absolutely LOVE the 09-11 look and "beak") but the car came in good condition. In addition to that my TL doesn't seem to have the oil consumption problem. 3K miles and oil stays 1/2" above the full indicator on the dipstick. It runs like a top and pulls some major G's from a stand-still. I don't suggest you take the same risk I did, having owned many cars I can almost guarantee you will have problems if you follow my footsteps.

Let me share with you (and anyone looking for a 4th gen 6MT) some thoughts that reviews/comments haven't mentioned

Clutch
Every single car I’ve owned since I started driving (looong time) has had a manual transmission. I don’t drive automatics and hopefully never will. I've also never had to replace a clutch, so I'm confident with my driving technique. With that said, this clutch takes some time to get used to and a little more to master. It is a very soft and linear clutch. Mechanical resistance throughout engagement will remain consistent with no tactile indication of when the “bite” occurs. Engagement effort is minimal, very easy clutch to operate. Some like this, I don’t. I prefer a strong effort and pushback on my clutches you might like it.

Handling/Gas mileage
It is a nimble heavy car. It is hard to describe but it drives like a very agile rhino. I always feel like I’m in control, and I’ve intentionally driven like a maniac to test this. I wouldn’t turn off the stability control in this car. You will almost always have to add power when taking off in first. Gas mileage is bad around the city (18/19). Highway is 24-26 using 93 Octane Premium Shell gas.

Let me know if you'd like to know anything else from my perspective. I may not be the best car I've ever driven but it's darn close and the very best car I can afford.

toantran99 03-15-2019 05:14 PM

YES.

I have the Same year, A spec body kit 6 spd. I did have to replace the clutch master cylinder since it was making noise.
Wife have the 5spd auto, same color and wheels.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...00cd188e94.jpg

SoftwareDrone 03-20-2019 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16397327)
with exterior modifications, the car CAN look good!

That's EXACTLY what I was about to say. With the ground effects kit and the grills painted to match the body color, it really does transform itself into a sharp looking sedan!

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...u-jmal-974617/

losiglow 03-20-2019 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kingcredible (Post 16398596)

Clutch
Every single car I’ve owned since I started driving (looong time) has had a manual transmission. I don’t drive automatics and hopefully never will. I've also never had to replace a clutch, so I'm confident with my driving technique. With that said, this clutch takes some time to get used to and a little more to master. It is a very soft and linear clutch. Mechanical resistance throughout engagement will remain consistent with no tactile indication of when the “bite” occurs. Engagement effort is minimal, very easy clutch to operate. Some like this, I don’t. I prefer a strong effort and pushback on my clutches you might like it.

That sounds very similar to the 3G 6MT. I'd be willing to bet they used the same transmission. It took me some getting used to but was a blast once I had it down. That's until someone else tries to drive it like a valet or tire tech and either kills the engine several time or has to rev it to 3K RPM to get it to move :tongue:

NBP04TL4ME 03-20-2019 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16400871)
That sounds very similar to the 3G 6MT. I'd be willing to bet they used the same transmission. It took me some getting used to but was a blast once I had it down. That's until someone else tries to drive it like a valet or tire tech and either kills the engine several time or has to rev it to 3K RPM to get it to move :tongue:

This is so true........

Leonel Estrada 05-13-2019 10:14 AM

Yes!, any 6MT, any year is worth it

Leonel Estrada 05-13-2019 10:15 AM

Nice Twins!

Leonel Estrada 05-13-2019 10:19 AM

I am in a very similar situation, going reckless about getting mine, but I feel motivated for what I am getting... actually reading your comments encourages me to not drop my dream, thank you!

Michael Nobles 05-20-2019 09:04 AM

Heck Yes Because I just did

I was able to purchase a 2010 4g with 66k miles recently. However, I recommend making sure everything was sound mechanically. The clutch needs to be replaced and because the dealership was closer, I brought it there and they told me that it'll cost 5k to replace everything. I'm hoping I can find a better price for the repair. With all that being said(and even with an impending timing belt replacement probably coming up soon too) I still love this car. Looked for it nationwide and I fortunately was able to nab one here in my state. Burgundy with tan interior, 6MT, damn near pristine.

cairo333 09-28-2019 02:53 PM

Hi! I have a 4G TL 6MT 2011. I bought myself on Copart USA without bumpers. I considered it a good opportunity to put on the bumpers and grilled 12. First I bought the package aspec, Tein advance and accessory alloy rims 19 "with Bridgestone Potenza S001. I love this car and I love to drive it. I do not know the car that would be better led, I am a rally driver and I really know what I say.

Sorry for my English

cairo333 09-28-2019 03:18 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...edb889db4d.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...85fc294c2a.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...0bfb470564.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...65a76455ce.jpg

shurik74 09-28-2019 03:29 PM

@cairo333 very nice! Probably only one TL in Poland! :)

Thermoguy 09-30-2019 03:02 PM

Every time I read a thread and see comments about the styling of the TL come up I wonder who reads these threads just to put negative comments. Do you guys read other threads also and bash the styling of other cars? It seems like you don't own a 4th generation TL. If you did you would either paint the grill to match or be OK with it. For me, personally, I don't have an issue with the grill at all. The styling of the car overall more than compensates for the grill design. If you look at other similar styled cars they are boring, the TL - especially the 2009-2011 is the most bold of them all. After 2011, they toned the styling down and lost most of the look, comparing more to a Camry.

If you look at other manufacturers, they all are trying to match the TL's bold style - look at Cadillac, Lexus, Toyota and others. They are all trying to make a bold statement with the front grill and bumper. Even Acura has lost the boldness with the new TLX and has tried to get it back with the new honeycomb look on the newest model. They lost the overall uniqueness of style when they came out with the TLX and made it smaller. Personally, I don't like the TLX and will not buy one due to looks and performance. But that is another conversation.

The only thing I don't like about the grill is the material it is made out of. For some reason, it always has water spots and just doesn't have any shine to it. Not that it should be chrome, but it should have a nice clean mat finish. I have found since I started using F11 on my car that the grill has a much better shine and no longer has the water spots. But, I think the material still could have been better.

Just my opinion and one of the reasons I haven't been looking for a new car. I usually get rid of my cars at about 100,000 miles, but since I haven't found anything else I like, we will keep driving this one.

vertigo2 10-07-2019 02:30 PM

The 09-11, especially in black, always reminded me of a F-117 Nighthawk jet. My refresh model is a little more subdued but I quite like how unique these cars look to this day.