AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   Windshield replacement questions (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/windshield-replacement-questions-936669/)

TheMuffinMan 09-26-2015 08:16 AM

Windshield replacement questions

AZ -

Has anyone had their windshield replaced through Safelite? I'm having OEM Acura glass installed ($800, :whyme:) but am unsure about the quality of the rubber trim/moldings.

Anyone have it done with them? Should I try to ensure I get OEM molding as well?

flunder 09-26-2015 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan (Post 15565053)
AZ -

Has anyone had their windshield replaced through Safelite? I'm having OEM Acura glass installed ($800, :whyme:) but am unsure about the quality of the rubber trim/moldings.

Anyone have it done with them? Should I try to ensure I get OEM molding as well?

Costco associates with Safelite, but mitigates all responsibility as a 3rd pty vendor. You can get $25 off through Costco. I find the craftsmanship to be more important than the secondary supply material. Perhaps greasing up the service adviser and tech can yield some more positive results for you... :tomato:

'99-6SIC6 09-26-2015 04:50 PM

We've replaced countless front and rear windshields over the years here at the dealer and it's ALWAYS recommended to replace the moldings with the glass. Save your installer the hassle and get the OEM molding(s).

-greg

csmeance 09-26-2015 06:12 PM

AZ -

Safelite has done a few of our cars and they are a decent company, but they will pulll bait and switch on you.

I've had my windshield replaced 2x on the TL and they used OEM AP Tech glass but it lacked the honda logo and was covered by my insurance. Aftermarket glass isn't that great as it doesn't have the acoustic shield to cut down on road noise.

They replaced a passenger side window on my car with PGW glass and it's shit. The glass isn't optically clear, has lines running through it and let ALL UV rays into my car, so much that my SO's transitions were changing colors in the car! They refused to swap the glass since it supposedly meets OEM spec, but it doesn't filter any UV light like it should!

Check the new windshield that is going to be installed on your car and make sure you are happy with it, you can reject that piece of glass if you aren't happy.

You don't need to replace the moudlings, I would suggest just new clips for them.

TheMuffinMan 09-26-2015 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep, so I'm getting OEM Acura glass for sure. The question that I had was mostly around if the rubber trim/moldings would be replaced and if it's like generic stuff (like they just find a 18" strip and cut to length) or if they use OEM Acura moldings.

Appreciate the help/info guys!

Here's the window from the inside -

Attachment 102629

AbbeyRowe 01-20-2016 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan (Post 15565335)
Yep, so I'm getting OEM Acura glass for sure. The question that I had was mostly around if the rubber trim/moldings would be replaced and if it's like generic stuff (like they just find a 18" strip and cut to length) or if they use OEM Acura moldings.

Appreciate the help/info guys!

Here's the window from the inside -

https://i.imgur.com/DI2c7km.jpg?1

The only moulding that is replaced it the top strip. There are options.
1. Factory Acura molding
2. OEM or aftermarket molding - Part number MWF02930
3. Universal style that comes in a roll of 50ft and is cut to size.

When getting replacement quotes ask what kind of moulding they use. Also, the chrome trim along the A-pillers are held in place with plastic clips. Ask if they have extra with them.They often brake and will result in windnoise or worse, the installer will glue them down and then you will need to buy new chrome trim next time. Those are not cheap. Here is an article with some photos of a 2012 TL replacement.

Acura TL Windshield Replacement - Abbey Rowe

jdigeorgio 01-24-2016 01:43 PM

Wow - I never knew you could go with OEM on the replacement windshield. Here in Florida the windshield is covered under the comprehensive coverage - so windshield replacement is no cost. I believe that's true in many states - but not all. But they always put in OEE glass - never OEM. Seems they like to use Pilkington around here. Probably pretty good quality - but not as good as OEM. My coworker has a 2012 TL similar to mine. She is on her 4th windshield now. Seems the OEE windshields are not as impact resistant as the OEM. That's my subjective opinion of course based on anecdotal evidence - but it does seem like the OEM windshield lasts for years and then when you get the first replacement, they break every time a stone hits you.

I am going to have to ask about this next time. We use SafeLite here - seems reasonable to request OEM and if I had to pay the differential in cost, I'd probably do it because the OEE glass hasn't impressed me. Mostly due to distortion issues and lack of clarity ...and the point I made above about them not seeming as impact resistant.

VanyDotK 01-25-2016 12:31 AM

A few things about windshields, it's very important that you get a good brand windshield because it actually provides structural support. Stay away from Safelite.

You don't NEED to buy the windshield from Acura, they will charge you an arm and a leg. You could buy a Pilkington windshield which is the EXACT same windshield our car uses, however it doesn't have the Acura logo. Don't pay the extra money for that Acura logo because that's the only difference you're paying for at the dealership.

TheMuffinMan 01-25-2016 10:30 AM

So as an update since this got bumped:

- We used OEM Acura glass for replacement
- Sad to say it's about ~1cm off center (noticeable from the black dot matrix on either side)
- I got a new rock chip in it within 2 weeks of replacement
- I got another rock chip + spider crack about a month ago

Quality is what you'd expect, it's OEM. The rubber strip along the top was replaced with generic cut to length but it looks fine.

I didn't care much about the cost because I was reimbursed by the other party's insurance.

Safelite has repaired/filled the two chips I have currently - no issues.

TheMuffinMan 01-25-2016 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by VanyDotK (Post 15664762)
A few things about windshields, it's very important that you get a good brand windshield because it actually provides structural support. Stay away from Safelite.

You don't NEED to buy the windshield from Acura, they will charge you an arm and a leg. You could buy a Pilkington windshield which is the EXACT same windshield our car uses, however it doesn't have the Acura logo. Don't pay the extra money for that Acura logo because that's the only difference you're paying for at the dealership.

Eh, true, I was more worried it wouldn't have all the dot matrix doohicky stuff around the mirror and such. I've had mixed results with aftermarket glass on some of my cars - one even didn't have the tint strip.

Since I wasn't paying for it, I'd keep it OEM.

PaulAWD 01-26-2016 02:34 PM

I've had a couple OEM Acura mouldings that looked like crap. The are shipped rolled up in a ball and won't lay out straight. The moulding is only cosmetic so as long as the glass company puts the A/M or OEM in straight if will look factory clean.

JasonK 01-27-2016 10:00 PM

AZ -

Saw the post and since I already have had my glass replaced I'll pitch in. I paid 400$ for my glass and moldings from Honda (OEM glass from Acura) 200$ for the glass guy they use to install it. Did quite a good job. Think they are overpricing you a little bit but whatever.

You have two options that I would suggest. Get the honda accord glass they use it fits the TL aswell but is a little thicker and different color or stick with the oem glass.

Always replacing the old molding with OEM and make sure they have a good glass tech that knows what he is doing.

TheMuffinMan 01-27-2016 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by JasonK (Post 15667625)
Saw the post and since I already have had my glass replaced I'll pitch in. I paid 400$ for my glass and moldings from Honda (OEM glass from Acura) 200$ for the glass guy they use to install it. Did quite a good job. Think they are overpricing you a little bit but whatever.

You have two options that I would suggest. Get the honda accord glass they use it fits the TL aswell but is a little thicker and different color or stick with the oem glass.

Always replacing the old molding with OEM and make sure they have a good glass tech that knows what he is doing.

I don't see how that's possible unless you work for the dealership, a mechanic shop, or are best buddies with the parts guys.

OEM Glass for the Acura (from Bernardi discounted) is $550 which they won't ship. The list price is ~$765 and I paid $850 total installed.

73111-TK4-A02 is the part number for a 2013 Acura TL. I don't believe a dealership is going to sell you glass for $150 less than Bernardi has it listed for.

You don't make mention of the part numbers but I'd be really surprised if the Accord glass is direct swap without compromising something. You say it's a different color and thicker, I'm guessing it has some other differences (curvature?) as well.

A 2013 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 has a part number of 73111-T2F-A52 for glass with a list price of $715 and a discounted (through Majestic) of $440.

So I guess if you bought Honda glass locally at the "friends" rate of $440 then that makes sense. There's a ~$100 difference in price of the glass itself and then I'm guessing you had it replaced at the shop - I could've brought the car to a Safelite shop and saved a few bucks myself.

JasonK 01-27-2016 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan (Post 15667655)
I don't see how that's possible unless you work for the dealership, a mechanic shop, or are best buddies with the parts guys.

OEM Glass for the Acura (from Bernardi discounted) is $550 which they won't ship. The list price is ~$765 and I paid $850 total installed.

73111-TK4-A02 is the part number for a 2013 Acura TL. I don't believe a dealership is going to sell you glass for $150 less than Bernardi has it listed for.

You don't make mention of the part numbers but I'd be really surprised if the Accord glass is direct swap without compromising something. You say it's a different color and thicker, I'm guessing it has some other differences (curvature?) as well.

A 2013 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 has a part number of 73111-T2F-A52 for glass with a list price of $715 and a discounted (through Majestic) of $440.

So I guess if you bought Honda glass locally at the "friends" rate of $440 then that makes sense. There's a ~$100 difference in price of the glass itself and then I'm guessing you had it replaced at the shop - I could've brought the car to a Safelite shop and saved a few bucks myself.

No. I wasn't working at a shop at the time. I bought the glass at Honda near my house and had them do it. OEM Acura Glass was 400$ Moldings around 40-60 and install was 150-180$. I remember paying under 750$ for everything taxes in.

Yes the Honda glass has more of a curvature but still works.

I would still go with OEM any day because I've seen what aftermarket windshields look like in 3-5 years after they are done and there is no fixing that.

TheMuffinMan 01-27-2016 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by JasonK (Post 15667666)
No. I wasn't working at a shop at the time. I bought the glass at Honda near my house and had them do it. OEM Acura Glass was 400$ Moldings around 40-60 and install was 150-180$. I remember paying under 750$ for everything taxes in.

Yes the Honda glass has more of a curvature but still works.

I would still go with OEM any day because I've seen what aftermarket windshields look like in 3-5 years after they are done and there is no fixing that.

Would absolutely love to see your receipt from it. Or even any online shop that'll sell the OEM Acura glass for $400.

I don't want to call BS, but Bernardi is quoting $550, Delray is quoting $574, Park Acura is quoting $587, etc

Again, not shipped at that price either.

And given how the front windshield does contribute some to the structure of the car, I don't think I'd save a hundred or so and buy glass for a different model car.

JasonK 01-27-2016 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan (Post 15667677)
Would absolutely love to see your receipt from it. Or even any online shop that'll sell the OEM Acura glass for $400.

I don't want to call BS, but Bernardi is quoting $550, Delray is quoting $574, Park Acura is quoting $587, etc

Again, not shipped at that price either.

And given how the front windshield does contribute some to the structure of the car, I don't think I'd save a hundred or so and buy glass for a different model car.

I'll look for the receipt tomorrow when I get off work don't really want to dig around to find it now lol. Maybe the pricing of the windshield went up? I replaced mine a year and a bit ago.

MonkeyTrucker 01-27-2016 11:07 PM

AZ -

I had a windshield replaced by Safelite last year due to a turkey or buzzard hitting my windshield. Would use them again without any qualms. Top notch and even tipped the guy, watched the entire process in my driveway. My car is a 3G TL; it was also replaced with acoustic glass, non oem.

MonkeyTrucker 01-27-2016 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by VanyDotK (Post 15664762)

This exactly! My replacement via Safelite was a Pilkington...did my research beforehand as well :).

TheMuffinMan 01-27-2016 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by MonkeyTrucker (Post 15667697)
This exactly! My replacement via Safelite was a Pilkington...did my research beforehand as well :).

Oh, of course you don't need it.

I wanted it, and the other party paid for it. So why not?

Anicra 01-27-2016 11:57 PM

PPG/ Pittsburgh Glass Works or Pilkingtons. Ill have to check. I had my windshield replaced its one of the above. Had zero problems with it.

potmilkz 01-28-2016 11:59 AM

i though AP tech was OEM without the logo.... not Pilkingtons..

thats what i got and it is exactly the same as OEM.. i even called around to verify and its true.

TheMuffinMan 01-28-2016 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by potmilkz (Post 15668073)

thats what i got and it is exactly the same as OEM.. i even called around to verify and its true.

Is it? Same dotmatrix crap everywhere?

VanyDotK 01-29-2016 11:23 AM

Ah, yes I think you're right. I believe Lexus uses Pilkington, Acura uses AP Tech. Both are good brands.

Anicra 01-29-2016 02:29 PM

Ya I have PGW something masters logo in the center of the windshield, actually it has slightly different shading on it. However I like it better than the factory one.

Marmbo 08-12-2016 05:56 PM

Well, after a rock on Thursday forced the windshield replacement I'm not sure what brand it is but it seems to have the acoustic layer and everything so A+
Looks good, sounds fine.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d852be91b0.jpg

asb32952 03-15-2019 11:59 PM

So is this agc automotive dot-376 m8h41 the same as oem for a 2009 tl? Same acoustic interlayer and thickness?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...RoUHFOU1NqS1pR

Thanks in advance.

Frankyy 06-01-2022 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=Marmbo;15825753]Well, after a rock on Thursday forced the windshield replacement I'm not sure what brand it is but it seems to have the acoustic layer and everything so A+
Looks good, sounds fine.

Hi I know it’s a old thread
I’m getting my windshield replaced next week do you remember if they had to remove your rearview mirror bracket and re-glue it to your new one? thxs

FlyingDagger 06-02-2022 07:11 AM

[QUOTE=Frankyy;16820832]

Originally Posted by Marmbo (Post 15825753)
Well, after a rock on Thursday forced the windshield replacement I'm not sure what brand it is but it seems to have the acoustic layer and everything so A+
Looks good, sounds fine.

Hi I know it’s a old thread
I’m getting my windshield replaced next week do you remember if they had to remove your rearview mirror bracket and re-glue it to your new one? thxs

Ok so I got the acoustic layer glass too. The price listed above was WAAAAY higher than what I paid. I got the glass and the clear 80 tint done for less than that total. Honestly I think my total was less than just the class from that invoice.

I feel like they did have to mess with the rear view mirror.