Why isn't your 4G TL your daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Why isn't your 4G TL your daily driver?

Note that I originally posted this in someone's thread, but I decided to move it here.

Not to be rude or blunt, but can someone explain what the purpose of an Acura TL not being a daily driver is? I've seen a bunch of people on here with the same mindset and it doesn't make any sense to me. I understand that modding cars and having a second/fun car is nice, and I've even thought of getting a 1972 Lincoln MK IV as a weekend car from time to time, but why a 4G TL? First off, an Acura TL is incredibly functional as an everyday car, and secondly, it isn't even that nice/unique/fast compared to the cars that family/friends/coworkers have as their weekend/fun cars, and if I spent enough money to make it as fast/nice/unique as those cars, it seems like it'd have been better off to just buy the fast/nice/unique car to begin with. Finally, there is the whole financial calculation...

My thinking is...The primary purpose of a car is utility and everything else is really just bling and what you're willing to pay for it. I qualified for a higher loan than I took out for my TL, but I decided that spending ~$40,000 was a waste of money when I could get basically the same car for about ~$15,000 less. I spent say, $10,000 more than a very basic barebones car, but I got a decent amount of power, navigation, and some other features that I will use and enjoy for 3-5 years. I've spent a little on mods for my car, but again, only when the parts were A) used, B) Sales tax holiday or C) in conjunction with necessary maintenance. I've considered getting other mods, but they need to have some kind of function for me to spend the money on them.

Now assuming you paid cash for your 4G TL and bought it new for $40,000, that pile of cash would be worth ~$230,000 in 25 years at 7%. Thats not even factoring in the cost of anything else related to this car. If $40,000 (let alone $230,000) was an inconsequential amount of money to me that I could just spend it on a new car that will sit in my garage 75% of the time I would definitely not drive a TL as my weekend/fun car.

Am I missing something here or am I just being too rational? Or do I just not get it? haha
Old 12-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It is my daily and weekend and trip car.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I am the biggest offender of babying my TL where it won't even go out in the rain. Am I nuts....quite likely. For me, I like looking at my TL where it looks like a showroom condition. I know its not an exotic car but I just anal and to me, my little Hyundai Accent at 225$ a month ...that's a daily driver

I agree that the TL SHOULD be a driver's car but we all have our quirks....and this is mine (well one of them anyway)

No offense taken.....
Old 12-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
It is my daily driver. It's been great fun in the snow over the past week.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
I am interested in your financial reasoning,from your figures it seems that you paid approx $25 k for your car which would leave $15 k to invest not the entire $40 K (hypothetical value the new TL). That $15 k investment will not net you anywhere near the amt you stated at the ROI stated.

Secondly,you also mention that you will enjoy the car for approximately 3 to 5 years,does that mean after that time you will finance another vehicle? If you will then it seems to defeat the financial reasoning for not buying outright and keeping the car for a longer period.From a financial standpoint the latter would be a better option.

Thirdly,most people that can afford to have a vehicle that is not a daily driver is not dependent on that money to use as an investment.

There is no black and white answer to your financial question simply because every individual will make such decisions differently,entire books have been written on such subjects with no definitive answer.Finding a balance between sacrificing present for future is also individual since we all have a different perception of what that balance is and arguments can be made either way.

Btw, i use my TL in the summer only because i have other options to use as a daily.

Last edited by KarKraze; 12-16-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
I daily drive my TL. '12 with over 45k miles. Nothing else to drive though, it's my only car. I do switch w/ my father every now and then for his '13 Limited Venza, but that's less than 5-6 weeks out of the year.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
It is my daily driver for three of the four seasons. Don't drive it during the winter months (form late October to late May) and understand that probably makes little sense since it has a great AWD system. I guess my reasoning is the higher probability of a mishap due to the snow and ice on the roads. And I happen to be fortunate enough to have my old 1999 Honda CRV which handles the winter and hauling duties.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
My TL is my Daily Driver. Now I have a different Garage Queen......
Old 12-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
My TL is my daily driver. Quite frankly, the TL isn't a lot more expensive than an equivalent Accord V6 or Camry Hybrid (cars I crossed shopped).

Let's see... not counting tax and license...

TL SH-AWD Tech about $38k
Accord Touring about $31k
Camry Hybrid XLE about $31k

The extra $7k for the TL buys a whole lot more car than the others.

If the TL is a bad financial investment at $38k, the Accord or Camry at $31k isn't much different. As a matter of fact, no car is a "good" investment.

To me, the...

TL is a pair of Dockers
Accord and Camry are pairs of Levis Jeans.

None of these cars are even a pair of dress slacks or a business suit. The TL is meant to be used on a daily basis, be practical, and look nice and neat. But definitely not "too precious" to be driven as a daily driver.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts
OP, how did you attain your TL? Purchased or hand-me down?

For me, the TL is not my daily driver because I have the same car from high school as the daily. Why didn't I trade it in when I purchased the TL? Because it ain't worth shit... Also for me at least, working hard after graduating college and saving up to buy/finance a new 40k+ car is something to be proud of. So it's my "Precious" for now until I make more $$$ later on down the road.

Btw, what investments are you referring to with that 7%. Definitely not savings account..
Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackieee_TL
Btw, what investments are you referring to with that 7%. Definitely not savings account..
If you're not getting at least 7 or 8% annually out of your funds I'd switch to someone else.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:41 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
no folding rear seats, cant daily it lol...

plus i cannot afford the gas.. i stick to my cheap-o 2006 honda civic lx coupe with 30+ mpg..
Old 12-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
TL is my daily driver in the summer, and the truck in the winter. I don't drive all that much, but I really hate only getting 12 - 15 mpg in the truck. That said, driving up the canyons in the snow, or driving in the snow with the kids, the truck wins every time.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
TL is my daily driver. I take it everywhere, i've got 61,000km in 26 months of ownership. It's been to NYC 4 times within the past 26 months. I buy premium vehicles because i do drive alot, so might as well get something nice because i spend quite a bit of time in it.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
At one point in my TL's life, the paint was 99.99% flawless. It literally had 1 scratch that I thought was too deep for me to safely remove and 1 rock chip. I probably spent close to 50hrs to get it to this shape. At its best, the paint was literally in show car condition. During this time, it pretty much lived in the garage 5 days out of 7. For me, it wasn't the value of the car... but all the hard work I put in to it. I didn't want to ruin it.

Now... reluctantly... my wife is driving it the most. Not too long ago she had an incident with the curve and one of the rims are scratched up and also had an incident with a shopping cart that left a couple of nice dents on the passenger side rear door. Now it lives outside with the rest of the appliances.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KarKraze
I am interested in your financial reasoning,from your figures it seems that you paid approx $25 k for your car which would leave $15 k to invest not the entire $40 K (hypothetical value the new TL). That $15 k investment will not net you anywhere near the amt you stated at the ROI stated.
In this instance, I'm talking about a handful of people that I have seen who have bought a new TL when they already have a daily driver-- I didn't own a car for the first 2+ years out of college because I had a company car. Taking public transit to work is 90 minutes vs 25 minutes driving.

Secondly,you also mention that you will enjoy the car for approximately 3 to 5 years,does that mean after that time you will finance another vehicle? If you will then it seems to defeat the financial reasoning for not buying outright and keeping the car for a longer period.From a financial standpoint the latter would be a better option.
In 3-5 years my car will be pretty high miles. If I can keep it for longer, I will. I drive about 20k miles a year, so that will put me between 150k and 180k miles.

Thirdly,most people that can afford to have a vehicle that is not a daily driver is not dependent on that money to use as an investment.
Right-- I don't see an issue with using fun money on a third car, but I would just question whether people are hitting their IRS max 401k, Roth IRA limits, other tax advantaged accounts, and have higher interest debt paid off (about 20k in student loans at 6.75%). Those are all benchmarks I'd like to hit before spending money on fun things like an additional car. This is obviously my personal preference, but it seems like dropping untold thousands of dollars on a new vs used car and mods/rims just seems to be financially irresponsible to me when there are more important things to save for or pay off.

There is no black and white answer to your financial question simply because every individual will make such decisions differently,entire books have been written on such subjects with no definitive answer.Finding a balance between sacrificing present for future is also individual since we all have a different perception of what that balance is and arguments can be made either way.
Agreed-- I probably spend more on going out to eat with my gf and friends than I should. Its a constant source of pain on my mint.com account summaries.

Originally Posted by hddnav
None of these cars are even a pair of dress slacks or a business suit. The TL is meant to be used on a daily basis, be practical, and look nice and neat. But definitely not "too precious" to be driven as a daily driver.
Exactly. Acura is a ralph lauren polo shirt.

Originally Posted by Jackieee_TL
OP, how did you attain your TL? Purchased or hand-me down?

For me, the TL is not my daily driver because I have the same car from high school as the daily. Why didn't I trade it in when I purchased the TL? Because it ain't worth shit... Also for me at least, working hard after graduating college and saving up to buy/finance a new 40k+ car is something to be proud of. So it's my "Precious" for now until I make more $$$ later on down the road.

I bought it used.

If you saved $700 a month for 5 years at 7%, you'd have ~50k at the end of those five years. Compare that with buying the car for $40k and paying it off for five years-- if it's worth $25k at that point, is $15k worth feeling proud of yourself? I'd have rather bought the used car and at the end of those 5 years, have paid off my car and almost paid off my student loans.

My 401ks from my old company (allocated 100% in their stock) and new company returned about 25% and 10% respectively this year. My roth is down (thanks AGNC) and my other account is about flat, but still better than .05% in a savings account or the -100% on when I go out to eat or get a drink (ugh).

And guys-- I hope no one is taking this personally or gets too offended. I work in the CPG industry in Business Strategy and Insights for my real job, so I guess I'm a bit of a nerd and really just interested in why consumers make decisions that are so seemingly irrational in the face of strong financial arguments against these decisions.
The following users liked this post:
Jackieee_TL (12-18-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Bought my TL slightly used and it has 53k miles as a daily driver. Perfect car to get through the winter with a great AWD system, and sexy enough to take out during the summer months. I don't own a summer car or weekend car since I figure in my 30's I need to stash cash and pay off my mortgage first.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Drifting

OP, kudos to you., Your reply is an intresting read.

First and foremost I am impressed by your sense of finiancial responsibility, today many people are not as diligent about their future, you see it everyday via maxed out credit cards, missed bill payments, heavily mortgaged home and line of credit.
You seem to have found a balance which works for you ie long term finiancial security while still enjoying a certain standard of living without losing sight of immediate issues.

Jackee Tl, a saving account is not really considered an investment and usually generates negligible intrest, you may want to consider some real investments such as Fortune 500 companies, bank stocks etc which will pay dividends and are generally considered safe, if you haven't already done so. Keep in mind diversity is most important.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's snowing here on Long Island and my car is out in the parking lot now!!!!! BTW I don't have AWD and the car handles just fine!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy my TL and I take good care of her. And I'm as OCD as the next guy. But a Gallardo she isn't. A TL is the epitome of a well thought out and comfortable sports sedan.

A 69 fastback Mustang or a 63 split window Corvette etc... That's what I envision as a garage queen. Or say a GT-R, Ferrari, Lambo if funds are not a concern.

I always chuckle at people who pimp out a Chevy Cavalier with a kickin' stereo, rims, wing spoiler etc.. because with the money they spent on it, they could have bought a real car. But I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder and after all, it is their money.

For those who don't use their TL's daily, I'm not sure I completely understand it - but good on ya for loving it that much and it's certainly well within your right to do it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Limelight:
a35tl (12-18-2013), emanon256 (12-18-2013), Jackieee_TL (12-18-2013), weather (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
It simply comes down to priorities and if you can afford to have a second car. There are brackets and levels to life lol.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Account closed

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My TL is my daily driver... however:

I have a 98 Honda Odyssey that is a mulch hauler, too big for the trunk hauler, going to Sams/BJ's (Costco for you left coasters) and anytime I don't want to beat on my TL.

I guess I don't drive it as much as a normal person (20 mo old w/14k) but I do drive it, now I drive it more in the winter (yes makes NO sense) but with the AWD and snows we can go anywhere without a thought.

One final thought, I was an "every three years" guy, I rolled over one of my cars for a new one every three years so I was in a constant state of upgrade. Now good for me, I paid cash for my new cars so the financing cost is not figured in to my scenario but I think of the wheels, exhausts, suspensions and such and also the cost of a new car for three years for me... TL and TXS now both have 8yr 100k and I plan on keeping them until they are not cost effective to keep any longer. I just can't be constantly caught up in the "upgrade" cycle, you want a money looser, that's it... or my THREE ex-wives, now that was a HIT.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

OP, kudos to you., Your reply is an intresting read.

First and foremost I am impressed by your sense of finiancial responsibility, today many people are not as diligent about their future, you see it everyday via maxed out credit cards, missed bill payments, heavily mortgaged home and line of credit.
You seem to have found a balance which works for you ie long term finiancial security while still enjoying a certain standard of living without losing sight of immediate issues.
Thank you very much.

By my own admission, I do have some credit card debt from a few things: an entrepreneurial venture, buying a straight talk wireless phone and year of unlimited service (cut my bill from $100+ to $40/month), and when my laptop broke and I had to get a new one. It's at 0% and on pace to be paid off in advance of the date where the high rates kicked in.

I also regret (only financially) leaving the other company that I was at because with their automatic 401k contribution, my match, and their match, I was saving 13% of my salary every paycheck. My company car was also $150 for everything. I'm better off personally and professionally and still financially comfortable, so all in all, it was the right move.

Here's what motivated me (and hopefully it can motivate others on here)

My parents moved into their neighborhood in 2004 into a newly constructed home and the houses in their neighborhood were built in the late 90s to mid 2000s. When they moved in, everyone else in the neighborhood had similar or better cars than them and drove a BMW/Acura/Infiniti and had a Tahoe/Expedition/Escalade and a boat/jet ski/snowmobile. Oh, and a pool in the back yard, perfect yard because of landscapers, large and lavish holiday parties, backyard ice skating rink, etc.

Now, there are still some big spenders, but other people that used to be in the big spender category have changed. Their lawn isn't perfect, they don't have a boat/jet ski/snowmobile, and instead of an Acura/BMW/Infiniti, they drive a Kia or Hyundai. These are intelligent and educated people, and a handful are doctors/lawyers/VP and senior management types. They lived beyond their means and wanted something shiny instead of behaving rationally. Now they're either trying to desperately trying to save money or cut their costs so that they can adjust to a new reality. If they had been more realistic 10-15 years ago they could have had the power of compounding on their side.

Did they have fun while it lasted? I'm sure they did. Does the fact that they bought a G35 in the first year it came out reflect on them now? Did upgrading to the facelifted G37 really make much of a difference in the long run? Absolutely not. Their path to financial instability or starvation is littered with facelifted cars, landscapers, boats, and snowmobiles.

Meanwhile throughout my teenage years, my dad vetoed buying jet skis and other cool shiny things that me/my brothers wanted, but they were able to pay for us to go to college with a manageable amount of student loan debt (as a lesson that nothing is free). I'm sure that many people in his/my stepmoms position would have preferred to roll around in a B7 Alpina to one up an S-Class or 7 Series in the neighborhood, but instead he drove a volvo until it had 200k+ miles, and I drove the old family car (an 01 MDX) until I started working after college and it had 240k miles.

Sorry if this turned into a rant-- I just feel like some people here lose sight of sanity in their race to one-up other people on the forum or other cars.

Also-- sorry if my thought process breaks multiple times and this reads choppy. I browse AZ while I'm running reports or waiting for my computer to finish a task at work.

Originally Posted by Devil Dog 21
Bought my TL slightly used and it has 53k miles as a daily driver. Perfect car to get through the winter with a great AWD system, and sexy enough to take out during the summer months. I don't own a summer car or weekend car since I figure in my 30's I need to stash cash and pay off my mortgage first.
Depending on your mortgage rate, there might be better options for your money. If it's very low, it may make more sense to just make your planned payments and max out your tax advantaged accounts, higher interest debt, and invest. I had been paying extra to try to pay my car off early, but I realized that with my low interest rate it was better to allocate the money elsewhere.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
I always chuckle at people who pimp out a Chevy Cavalier with a kickin' stereo, rims, wing spoiler etc.. because with the money they spent on it, they could have bought a real car. But I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder and after all, it is their money.

For those who don't use their TL's daily, I'm not sure I completely understand it - but good on ya for loving it that much and it's certainly well within your right to do it.
I agree 100% with you about people pimping their Cavalier or crap like that!!

I appreciate your level of respect towards people that baby their TL....despite the fact that you don't share or understand it completely, you are very respectful in your post and that is appreciated.
The following 3 users liked this post by weather:
614Banker (12-19-2013), Limelight (12-17-2013), Treblig (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
why do you care OP?....
Old 12-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I appreciate your level of respect towards people that baby their TL....despite the fact that you don't share or understand it completely, you are very respectful in your post and that is appreciated.
That's what this forum should be about. We don't all have the same taste or always share the same views, but for the most part we love our Acuras and come here to gain new perspectives and ideas. It seems like sometimes respect for others here has been in short supply, so thanks to you for pointing that out.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Our Government spends money it doesn't have

Our Society spends money it doesn't have

This is the way of the USA. You can't take it with you, and most folks live their life by that mantra

Being debt free is awesome, and a source of pride I'm sure, but most people could care less. They want their shit and they want it now. How many people make 8.25/hr and it doesn't stop them all from having the latest Iphone/Ipad whatever...

Cars are a driving force of the Economy. If all we cared about was point A to point B we'd all be driving Corolla's.

My TL is my daily driver. I have a choice of a 2010 Camry, a 2001 Lexus, and my TL every day.

I am debt free. I own my house, no mortgage, and I'm only 35 yrs young. Everyone close to me is in debt up to their eyeballs but it doesn't stop them from enjoying life. Remember money is just green paper
Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
why do you care OP?....
This all started in my post. Money isn't an issue for the wife and I which is why we bought it the TL even though he both of cars. I also had a 96 Civic coupe and a '78 Cadillac Coupe Deville built for show. Sure, we coulda bought something nicer but, I have always been a Honda/Acura owner and you can't beat reliability. Plus I do my own work.

My TSX was built for show and only taken out on the weekends hence it becoming my daily driver now. So we just get to keep the TL down to 150 miles per week. It'll stay nice and fresh. Love driving it and I would drive it everyday but just don't need to.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
why do you care OP?....
Already stated this.

Originally Posted by Kahta

And guys-- I hope no one is taking this personally or gets too offended. I work in the CPG industry in Business Strategy and Insights for my real job, so I guess I'm a bit of a nerd and really just interested in why consumers make decisions that are so seemingly irrational in the face of strong financial arguments against these decisions.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:04 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My daily car is a Prius. TL is for vacations and weekend trips. I don't feel safe driving Prius for long trips.

My wife is happy I bought a TL instead of losing $40K in the stock market. Ask yourself this question - are you happier with a brand spanking new TL in your garage or just some imaginary fluctuating numbers in your investment account?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I'm guilty of a lot of things Kahta said, I'm just starting (literally weeks ago) to invest in an IRA Roth account, I'm just starting to plan on buying a house and thinking about where will I'll be 30+ years from now. What blinded me is that I have very little debt (parents paid for my education), my CC is balance free every 28th of the month, my car payment+ins premium although high isn't stressful to make, I'm only 27 (which I'm actually starting to feel is a bit old), have a very comfortable salary and couldn't imagine making less money at any point in my life.

You grew up quickly Kahta because you saw people experience hard realities. For those of us who haven't, it's easy to stay naive.

I really need to update my build thread and show off all my goodies. I'll be finished modding by this spring and afterwards all my expendable income will go towards investments.

Last edited by HeartTLs; 12-19-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
You only live once...enjoy it because you can't take all that money you saved up when you're dead. That said, I do have 401K plan and money in my savings for emergencies or when I need to dip into it. But it's not going to stop me from modding my whip to my liking. OPs, question is kind of a loaded one and doesn't make sense to me. People have hobbies and different interests in life. Who are you to question how people spend their money? I know where you're coming from but who cares besides them; it's their money.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamAcura
You only live once...enjoy it because you can't take all that money you saved up when you're dead. That said, I do have 401K plan and money in my savings for emergencies or when I need to dip into it. But it's not going to stop me from modding my whip to my liking. OPs, question is kind of a loaded one and doesn't make sense to me. People have hobbies and different interests in life. Who are you to question how people spend their money? I know where you're coming from but who cares besides them; it's their money.
^^^^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Kahta
I work in the CPG industry in Business Strategy and Insights for my real job, so I guess I'm a bit of a nerd and really just interested in why consumers make decisions that are so seemingly irrational in the face of strong financial arguments against these decisions.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Kahta, this is an interesting read and your points are well said.

I don't really understand folks who bother to read this but then say something to the effect that it's a waste of time or nobody's business or why do you care sort of comments. It's a very unwise person who does not analyze and try to plan his/her life and future.

The biggest lesson I would try to pass on to younger people is that you really will be glad that you figured out finances and planned for the future, 'cause no one else is going to do it for you.

IMHO very expensive cars (define that for yourself) are not a smart way to spend your money since there are so many alternatives.

Here's some food for thought though. When I travel in the U.S. I see a lot of people older than I am serving food, working at menial jobs, clerking at Walmart, etc. Why? Because they have to. Because they are in difficult financial situations. Meanwhile, the wife and I are going golfing. We never have to work another day of our lives and we can have everything we need or want. Why? Because we didn't blow our money on frivolous stuff of little value. (Also because we were lucky enough to be born at the right time.)
The conversation OP started is actually very useful and important.

Last edited by jim_c; 12-19-2013 at 11:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KarKraze (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Drifting

^^ enjoyed the OP post as well and that is why I was mostly interested in the finiancial aspect of his post.
It is actually refreshing to read something of substance since that has been missing on Azine for a while.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 10 Posts
I daily my TL since I needed a change from driving stick in NY traffic. The looks and comfort are well worth it too. Besides like the OP said....its an ACURA...drive it till the wheels fall off 10-15 years from now. I think some of you took it too personal, I agree with OP completely. For the money spent on this car I could've had my dream E46 M3 with low mileage but I would never want to daily it...let alone afford the maintenance, cost, and fuel. Once this is all paid off hopefully that will be next.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
You only live once...enjoy it because you can't take all that money you saved up when you're dead. That said, I do have 401K plan and money in my savings for emergencies or when I need to dip into it.
Are you in high fee mutual funds? Is your 401k plan going to resemble a Maserati or a hyndai when you retire? a 401k/other retirement plan is useless if it's in funds that charge 1% and/or you're only saving a little bit of money.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I am the biggest offender of babying my TL where it won't even go out in the rain. Am I nuts....quite likely. For me, I like looking at my TL where it looks like a showroom condition. I know its not an exotic car but I just anal and to me, my little Hyundai Accent at 225$ a month ...that's a daily driver

I agree that the TL SHOULD be a driver's car but we all have our quirks....and this is mine (well one of them anyway)

No offense taken.....
Weather, we know you are nuts.... LOL! JK....

BTW, what is the current mileage on your TL!?

You know my TL is my daily driver and I absolutely love it. Such an enjoyable commute every day.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I know I am nuts My mileage is ~ 23 500 km and the TL is 2 1/2 years old....That is ~ 14 600 miles for my US friends
Old 12-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
My TL is my DD. I've had it for 15 mos. and driven it 12,000 km (~7,500 mi.) And that includes a trip to Fla. and back last month!

Quick Reply: Why isn't your 4G TL your daily driver?