Where do you hide the wire of your dash cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 07:54 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do you hide the wire of your dash cam?

Hi guys! I just received my dash cam and tried to install it this afternoon. Here was my plan: windshield/headliner gap --> a-pillar/headliner gap --> weather stripping along the a-pillar --> under floor mat --> power outlet

However, I was not able to tuck the wire into the gap between a-pillar and headliner (and I was concerned about the side curtain airbag), so I just wrapped around the gap and tucked into the weather stripping.

After watching a few crash test video (to see how the side airbag deployes), I'm still not too sure whether wrapping around the a-pillar will block the deployment of the side airbag or not.

Should I be concerned about my wiring? How do you hide your wire? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2018, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Take off the a pillar and fish it down to the fuse panel..
Old 11-28-2018, 08:24 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Take off the a pillar and fish it down to the fuse panel..
Thanks for your reply! After looking around I found out that there is a clip that must be replaced if I want to remove the a pillar...not very practical but thanks for your input!
The following users liked this post:
Royki5cp (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Or you can just not break the clip

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-a...nstall-863767/
Old 11-28-2018, 08:40 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Wow that's COMPLICATED! I will just stick with my 'masterpiece' for now. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2018, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

I mean why do it right when you can just half ass it and call it a day
Old 11-28-2018, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
No need to take off the pilar cover just tuck it in, it will stay there. I installed mine about 4 weeks ago and never had any problems. The dash cam I have is the Rexing V1.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:57 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
You don't need to take off the A-pillar at all. I have a radar hardwire (RJ15) and a thick gauge USB micro cable for my dash cam which I just fished between the pillar cover. It's easy, just takes a bit of patience and a soft ply tool, maybe a popsicle or a trim removal tool without sharp edges to push the wire in.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

HOLD ON TO YOUR HORSES EVERYONE. I have a game changer.

So my wire would never stay tucked under my headliner so I purchased these to hold it there and it hasn't let me down.

https://www.amazon.com/100pcs-Adhesive-Clamps-Desktop-Management/dp/B075L7WP9J/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543507648&sr=1-3&keywords=wire+holding+clips https://www.amazon.com/100pcs-Adhesive-Clamps-Desktop-Management/dp/B075L7WP9J/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543507648&sr=1-3&keywords=wire+holding+clips

As for wiring it down, there's an alternative to the A-pillar method. Weather sealing on the door jambs. The weather sealing pulls right off and is easily put back on. I just tucked my wire from the weather sealing by the top of the A-pillar and it went all the way down with the weather sealing no problem. Then I just tucked it under my floor mats and voila. You can hardwire or use the 12v outlet.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:09 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I haven't hard wired mine. But it was easy enough to use a credit card to push the wire into the pillars and liners. I fished it around the passenger side carpet, up the pillar molding and weather sealing then across the headlinder. The credit card method easily pushed the cable in without any damage or required removal of anything. No problems so far. It's been about a year. I wouldn't mind hardwiring it eventually. I could probably use the passenger side fusebox if there's something in there that comes on when the car starts, which should be easy enough to find. In the meantime I just use the power outlet by the shifter, which I don't really need for anything else.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:18 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for all your replies! I tried again and the wire is now perfectly hiding behind the passenger a pillar and the weather stripping!

P.S. For those of you who are reading this in the future, it's so much easier to pull off the weather stripping first before trying to tuck the wire into a pillar. You may also want to use multiple cards to expand the gap.

P.P.S. For those of you who cannot format your 64/128GB micro sd card into FAT32 (cuz Windows stupidly does not allow you to do so), here is the third party program I used:
Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd
Old 11-29-2018, 08:34 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi, got a new dash cam today. The power plug is on the top of my camera, so I tucked the wire into the area where the windshield meets the headliner all the way down to near the speaker, then I had to leave a little of the wire exposed and then I went over to the door seal and when I got it adjacent to the bottom of the dashboard I tucked it along the bottom of the dash and with a little wire to fold and wire tie, then to the power outlet. My problem. Is the plug is not always hot, so I can’t use the parking motion function on the camera. I need to make that outlet alway hot. Hope someone sees this and has a genius way to do this. I wish I had a wiring diagram of the 2019 RDX
Old 11-30-2018, 11:51 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Royki5cp
Hi, got a new dash cam today. The power plug is on the top of my camera, so I tucked the wire into the area where the windshield meets the headliner all the way down to near the speaker, then I had to leave a little of the wire exposed and then I went over to the door seal and when I got it adjacent to the bottom of the dashboard I tucked it along the bottom of the dash and with a little wire to fold and wire tie, then to the power outlet. My problem. Is the plug is not always hot, so I can’t use the parking motion function on the camera. I need to make that outlet alway hot. Hope someone sees this and has a genius way to do this. I wish I had a wiring diagram of the 2019 RDX
You have a few different options.

First (best IMO) is getting a blackvue power magic pro, which is what I have. It's a bit expensive but if you're gonna do a hardwire it's essentially invaluable since you won't ever have a dead battery in the middle of a parking lot. https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/

You hook it up directly to the battery. I pulled in two wires from the battery, through the firewall and into the cabin under the steeringwheel. From there hooked those up to the PMP. You can set the voltage at which the power will cut off from the battery. This will insure your battery never drops below 12v