What have people paid for clear-bra

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What have people paid for clear-bra

I am thinking to install clear-bra on my car, whats the usually amount people paid for front bumper and hood. I do lot of highway driving, is it worth installing this.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
you probably have to do front half fenders, front half hood and full bumper.

i was quoted about 400.

but let it be warned. if someone hits you in the front or backs up into your car, your not just loosing your $400 invested clear bra but your loosing your front bumper as well.

i normally wouldn't recommend a clear bra due to that painting the front bumper cost less than half that and you wont have an issue with fading.

once you decide to remove clear bra, your car and the paint that was covered by the clear bra will have a significant difference in shades
Old 01-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
you probably have to do front half fenders, front half hood and full bumper.

i was quoted about 400.

but let it be warned. if someone hits you in the front or backs up into your car, your not just loosing your $400 invested clear bra but your loosing your front bumper as well.

i normally wouldn't recommend a clear bra due to that painting the front bumper cost less than half that and you wont have an issue with fading.

once you decide to remove clear bra, your car and the paint that was covered by the clear bra will have a significant difference in shades
I paid $750 for a bikini cut for 3M.

Couple corrections to the above. many insurance companies cover the cost to reapply the clear bra if damaged in an accident. that right there should be telling.

I don't think there any fade issues with 3M product.

My personal feelings are that its money well spent if you are really particular about your car. To me once a car is painted no matter how minor it will never look the same. I would install it again in a second and even had it installed on my MDX. Another thing to think about is trade in value, dealers pay more if you have it because they know once they pull it off the sections covered are perfect. Example my buddy got 1100 over trade-in for his TL and they told him post sale that it was because of the bra.

Be very careful about picking the right installer and make sure they use 3M. Don't go with someone who does tint and other car things, go with a shop that specializes and only installs clear bras. The only thing I would do differently is do the entire fenders and hood so I don't see the seam.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
How much are these clear bra's?
I need to get one for my girlfriend
The following users liked this post:
Ant$ (05-09-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by scfa
I paid $750 for a bikini cut for 3M.

Couple corrections to the above. many insurance companies cover the cost to reapply the clear bra if damaged in an accident. that right there should be telling.

I don't think there any fade issues with 3M product.

My personal feelings are that its money well spent if you are really particular about your car. To me once a car is painted no matter how minor it will never look the same. I would install it again in a second and even had it installed on my MDX. Another thing to think about is trade in value, dealers pay more if you have it because they know once they pull it off the sections covered are perfect. Example my buddy got 1100 over trade-in for his TL and they told him post sale that it was because of the bra.

Be very careful about picking the right installer and make sure they use 3M. Don't go with someone who does tint and other car things, go with a shop that specializes and only installs clear bras. The only thing I would do differently is do the entire fenders and hood so I don't see the seam.
first of all, were not talking about trade in's. in fact you will lose more in a trade in then anything. These clear bra's are for high end exotic cars that are garage queens. Yes, it looks appealing when you sell, but keep in mind, people dont just think about the front on how clean it is, it is about the whole car.

secondly. your statement about insurance.. well lets say this... someone taps your bumper just enough to indent it, and your insurance is going to cover just a small little dent?

Answer is no, your deductible will kill you, insurance companies have a certain cap price it has to reach before it can be claimed and if your going through other parties insurance, then good luck on trying to pay for your scratches. Hopefully your insurance claims adjuster is dumb enough to see your 700+ damages on just a little scratch.

ive been there done that.. i had clear bra on my previous car, parked it on a street, some person tapped my front bumper with their license plate. left two license plate dents on my bumper.. insurance wont cover it because its not over a certain extent in damages..

and also for instance, if you or someone drives your car and scratches it against something.. then you just wasted your clear bra.. You pretty much will be paying everything out of your pocket..

its good to put it probably on the hood, but lets face it, unless its the whole hood or whole fender, your not going to get much out of it..

it only takes 1 incident to ruin an expensive clear bra..

Last edited by potmilkz; 01-24-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the dealer said the full front clear-bra that I had worked into the deal, was $5-600.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
post pics after you get it.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Cruisin'

My dealer told me it costs 499 for them to install the bra. I just worked it into the deal when purchasing the car
Old 01-25-2012, 08:01 AM
2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz

secondly. your statement about insurance.. well lets say this... someone taps your bumper just enough to indent it, and your insurance is going to cover just a small little dent?
What kind of insurance do you have? In my 2010 I was rear ended at about 20 mph. The impact caused a small scuff on the rear bump and 1 clip to be broken under the bumper. Since the person that hit my car was clearly at fault their insurance company had no issue at all paying for a new bumper and a repaint... Just under $900.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
I think this is the best application for clear bras.
You can spend up to $800 for your car but all have fade, yellowing, and accident paint match problems over time.
It looks different in different ambient light conditions.
Black Lingiere Rocks but I also think clear panties should be used on all girlfriends and their rear deck when wearin clear bras.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I got ripped off when I paid $1400 at the dealership for a full front (entire front bumper including fenders, headlights, foglights), Full hood, side mirrors, front pillars, and door edges on all doors. But it has really saved my car from a ton of rock chips and other damage. I've had it on my TL since August of '09, and I haven't experienced any fading, yellowing, etc. If you can afford it, I'd say get it. If you're gonna spend so much money on a car, you might as well protect your investment. A car with a ton of scratches and rock chips all over the front bumper is ugly. No, a clear bra won't protect you from dents, but it will help with scratches.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ac Man
I got ripped off when I paid $1400 at the dealership for a full front (entire front bumper including fenders, headlights, foglights), Full hood, side mirrors, front pillars, and door edges on all doors. But it has really saved my car from a ton of rock chips and other damage. I've had it on my TL since August of '09, and I haven't experienced any fading, yellowing, etc. If you can afford it, I'd say get it. If you're gonna spend so much money on a car, you might as well protect your investment. A car with a ton of scratches and rock chips all over the front bumper is ugly. No, a clear bra won't protect you from dents, but it will help with scratches.

so your whole fender + hood is clear bra'ed or just the front half? if it is the whole thing then i think you got your moneys worth.

again, you get into an accident, your insurance will only cover your bumper and paint, clear bra will come out of your pocket.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Insurance WILL cover the clear bra as well, at least this is the case in my experience...
Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your help

thanks for all your replies,
Last week a girl rear ended my car,
finally after reading your suggestions and my kind of luck I decided not to go with the clearbra. I dont care much for trade in value because I want to keep this car for myself for a good decade.
As far as little bit of chipping is concerned I guess I will take it as normal wear and tear over the years.

My previous car, 2001 TL, everything thing was fine, while driving on highway a small pebble flew and cracked the windshield, nothing anyone could have done. I was pulling out of the parking lot and a stupid girl hit me in rear passenger door. It costed me nothing to fix but all these things does not give me a good feel to have clearbra installed on my new car either. too much hassle.