What do you guys think about this car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 01:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you guys think about this car.

I'm looking in to buying a 2014 TL in the next couple of months. Currently I got a 2009 TL with about 82 K miles on it which had 0 issues since I got it. The TL that I am looking at has only 19 K miles on it but it's from Carmax so that seems a little sketchy to me. Right now in my area there are no certified pre owned TL's with mileage under 27K. Also this is like the only blue TL out there right now I like this color because my first TL was a blue 2003.

What should I be watching out for when looking at this car? Will carmax let me take the car to a mechanic to get it looked at? https://www.carmax.com/car/14645533

What about this car? 2012 Advance for 2k cheaper 28k Miles this is from a dealer but it's not certified.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2386/overview/

So my question is really what should I be watching out when for I'm getting these cars? I got really lucky with the first TL I bought because it had 0 flaws and the last driver took good care of it. I just really do not want to get a new one and have issues with it as that would be a shame, I am going to get the cars looked at by independent mechanic but that is not always 100% foolproof.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:20 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I would go with neither, try this one that's in your area...

In your area, you want the SH-AWD, both summer AND winter.

Used 2012 Acura TL 6-Spd AT SH-AWD w/ Advance Pkg for Sale in Milwaukee WI 53186 Selig Auto Sales
Old 08-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by davidchicago
I'm looking in to buying a 2014 TL in the next couple of months. Currently I got a 2009 TL with about 82 K miles on it which had 0 issues since I got it. The TL that I am looking at has only 19 K miles on it but it's from Carmax so that seems a little sketchy to me. Right now in my area there are no certified pre owned TL's with mileage under 27K. Also this is like the only blue TL out there right now I like this color because my first TL was a blue 2003.

What should I be watching out for when looking at this car? Will carmax let me take the car to a mechanic to get it looked at? https://www.carmax.com/car/14645533

What about this car? 2012 Advance for 2k cheaper 28k Miles this is from a dealer but it's not certified.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2386/overview/

So my question is really what should I be watching out when for I'm getting these cars? I got really lucky with the first TL I bought because it had 0 flaws and the last driver took good care of it. I just really do not want to get a new one and have issues with it as that would be a shame, I am going to get the cars looked at by independent mechanic but that is not always 100% foolproof.

My question is why are you looking to get rid of your 4gen if its still running great and that you had 0 problems? Yeah I get it its 5 years older with more mileage, never the less, with proper maintenance its gonna last for an other 5 years easy...

The following users liked this post:
davidchicago (09-14-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Why are you looking to get a new one?

You have no issues. Did you buy your 09 brand new?

I asked CarMax to let me take a car to my mechanic and they declined. They mentioned they go through a vigorous inspection. Even though I was going to pay for my mechanic to look at it.
davidchicago (09-14-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You can buy the car from carmax, get it inspected, and return it for a full refund (5 days 300 miles I believe). What I've done when I was 99% sure I would buy the car. I realize that's a lot of money to outlay to get a PPI done tho.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:19 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SkN012
My question is why are you looking to get rid of your 4gen if its still running great and that you had 0 problems? Yeah I get it its 5 years older with more mileage, never the less, with proper maintenance its gonna last for an other 5 years easy...

So here is the thing the car is approaching 83K miles and I still got 11K left to pay for it. I had the car for two years now and I am worried that I will be too upside down if the car keeps on depreciating. On the other hand you are right if there is nothing wrong with it why get a new one? The person who had the car before me was very gentle with it and I don't think anything was ever replaced in the suspension. I really do not want to do all the major replacements that will start cumming up when I get closer to 100K. I really doubt I will be able to sell my car once the miles get past 90K, I am trying to sell this car to a private party currently and make a little profit but I will see how it goes.

It's starting to get rough around here there are like no certified 2014s at any dealer around here under 35K miles, I really want to get the blue one from Carmax or wait a little more and see if a 3.7 with advance package comes up anywhere.

I'm really tempted to get this car checked out by a mechanic and see if everything is cool with it. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4971/overview/
Old 09-14-2017, 04:24 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Why are you looking to get a new one?

You have no issues. Did you buy your 09 brand new?

I asked CarMax to let me take a car to my mechanic and they declined. They mentioned they go through a vigorous inspection. Even though I was going to pay for my mechanic to look at it.
I got mine two years ago when it had 64K in it for 15K from a dealer. Took it to my mechanic and he looked at it and said the car is in great condition and all it needs it temp sensor replacement. So I got the car, I hope that the my next car buying experience is just as flawless.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:28 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
As far as keeping or getting rid of your current one, that's up to you. But the white 2012 TL on the link looks like a good deal, only question is do you get the remainder of the factory warranty, if not, you can get an aftermarket warranty just to be safe? My TL is almost the same, just 2014.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
I understand wanting to get one of the last of these 3.7 SH-AWD TLs. I bought mine CPO with less than 20K on it and it's been perfect for the last 30K mikes. I replaced the OEM tires at about 35K mikes and put high end rotors and pads at all 4 corners at about 40K miles. I bought the car knowing I'd be keeping it for the long haul as it'll be passed on to my kids as they begin to drive. At that point, I'll be in the market for new car again and unless Acura puts something very different to market in the next 2-3 years, I'll be driving a Lexus GS. As far as CPO cars, if you're planning on keeping it until the wheels fall off, I think it's worth it for the powertrain warranty alone plus they extend the non-powertrain warranty too for peace of mind and also knowing it has never had any paint or body work and most come with the maintainance history (mine did). If you treat the car right and keep fluids clean, perform the TB service every 100K or so, etc it'll easily last 250K - 300K miles. So of course you'll pay a bit more initially for the CPO, but if you spread that cost over 8-10 years and 250K mikes of ownership, the additional up front cost is really pretty minimal. I have no regrets and would do it all over again. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by WNY PAT; 09-16-2017 at 09:21 PM.
davidchicago (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 04:19 AM
Cruisin'

That is really what I have to do, unfortunately there are almost no certified TL's around here with very low mileage. I either might have to settle for the 2014 TL with 19K miles at Carmax or search certified cars nationwide. Now I wonder if I get a certified car lets say in Ohio, will the warranty be valid at Acura dealerships where I live?
Old 09-17-2017, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by davidchicago
That is really what I have to do, unfortunately there are almost no certified TL's around here with very low mileage. I either might have to settle for the 2014 TL with 19K miles at Carmax or search certified cars nationwide. Now I wonder if I get a certified car lets say in Ohio, will the warranty be valid at Acura dealerships where I live?
If it's an Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle, all Acura dealers will honor the warranty.