Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what do we do with these leathers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do we do with these leathers

I love the new car all and all, but after close to 2 months, the leather seats are just killing me. I am even afraid to sit down or keep my wallet in my back pocket, cause it will leave a seam.

I figure by the time summer comes around, even with the treatment I am doing on those seats, that leather will be rotten.

Now this is probably noticeable more one the tech package rather than the base model, as the base model seats are not perforated.

what we do...
Old 12-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Are you saying that it is that soft?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To clarify here, is there a difference in seats between the FWD base model and Tech package? I have the FWD with Tech Package black on black, and my seats are perforated with pleather on the sides? The day I got into the car the pleather was already bunched up and it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is in the family Honda Accord, the leather seats are so tight that it's starting to crack or at least looked cracked there's no give, so I don't mind these that are bunched a little as they are more forgiving.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by igowest
I love the new car all and all, but after close to 2 months, the leather seats are just killing me. I am even afraid to sit down or keep my wallet in my back pocket, cause it will leave a seam.

I figure by the time summer comes around, even with the treatment I am doing on those seats, that leather will be rotten.

Now this is probably noticeable more one the tech package rather than the base model, as the base model seats are not perforated.

what we do...

There are 2 problme sI have been seeing in Acura leather seats. My 3G Type-S, the leather is soft, not as soft as the 4G and the way the seat is done allows the leather to bunch up and fold and shift. I don;t see this in other cars, I see that the leather is not attached to the seat infrastructure well and not formed wll enough to prvent this. One 4G I saw in the showroom the drivers seats was already bunching and folding, I see deformities forming subtly on many. Most may never have a problme, but Acura leather seats to me are problematic
Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My seats look exactly the same so far. 1600 miles

I have read that the color of the leather makes a difference because of the different dyes and such. Any leather experts here that can say if one color will wear faster/differently than another?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I've had my 05 for about 3.5yrs and the leather is still holding strong. I treat it every 2-3 months though.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by igowest

what we do...
Rotten ? I don't understand is the leather not treated or processed correctly?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Advanced

I have the taupe seats in my 4G Base/tech car. It is VERY obvious that these will "bunch up" and show lots of dirt and marks on them as they're already showing these signs after 500 miles. The leather/vinyl seems too soft, especially on the bolsters.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Advanced

After one week, I went and see the dealer complaining why my seats you see the but forms or hand forms if I press on it. While the base model in showroom does not show that much. The base model is in preforated. While the tech models are. The tech models are much softer than the base models. In the long run they will end up the same, just that the base model will take a little more time.

The passanger side, I see two ass cheeks and on driver side, well many bumps and folds. I am not a heavy guy by man, this car will look old in less than one year.

I treat it with some leather softner like i did my 3G model. But the 4G, seems that the softner will not make a difference.

Wondering while ACURA was testing this car, did they not see this defect? I say the BMW 5 with this problem, but only after 1 year or so. I think with a softner, you would probably make it last a little more.

I also ask how the guarantee on this would be when I bring it back after 6 months complaining about this again.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
I've had my 05 for about 3.5yrs and the leather is still holding strong. I treat it every 2-3 months though.
Each of my relualr TL's were much better, the Type-S is crap, the side bolsters and particularly the bottom side and not doen well and the leather creases and folds over, I'll try and take some picutres this weekend.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Taupe interior and it shows minor wrinkling. I also notice the driver’s seat bottom left bolster has a slight tint (blue jeans probably). The next time I go to the Acura dealer I will have the service manager notate this on my file so I have a paper trail started. This will make it easier to deal with while under warranty in the future. If everyone having issue with the leather has it documented, Acura is more likely to issue a tech bulletin/recall to deal with the issue.