Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Waylens Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Waylens Dash Cam

I'm not sure if there are any other 4G owners who backed it on Kickstarter, but I just received mine and it's pretty awesome.

https://goo.gl/photos/gu1oTzqQNNXLpbBx8

Nothing special in the video, just wanted to get a feel for the video quality at 1080p 60fps, and it is simply stunning. I originally had it at 720p 120fps, but having it at 1080p is such a night and day difference, and worth it way more than the added framerate.

Here is their website: https://www.waylens.com/

This kind of quality does come at a very steep price, however. It appears that they are pre-ordering for $450 right now. It comes with an OBD2 adapter to display the overlay information, and there is a remote that you can attach to your steering wheel (or anywhere else) that you can press to "highlight" the last 15s and next 15s of your recording. I routed the power through my headliner, down the A pillar, and back into my glovebox to plug into my USB charger (I did have to use a USB extension cable to get there).

Overall, I'm very pleased with this product. For reference, here is a video of a $20 dash cam shipped straight from China that I got on https://geek.wish.com/.

I will be eventually delegating this dash cam to my rear windshield for any potential rear end collisions... last thing I want is a "my word vs. theirs" situation, I've heard of too many stories where people got screwed because the other person performed insurance fraud and got away with it.
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Looks like a great display, and the cam quality is superb. How is it at night?

I'm not a fan of the button on the steering wheel. If it's secure, then I guarantee after a short while, it will leave a mark on the wheel, meaning that once it's on, you'll likely be keeping it there forever. Seems to me that they could have built voice activation into it so that a spoken command would "mark" clips for future reference.

In any event, I'm thinking more and more about getting a cam; some of the stupidity I'm seeing out on the roads deserves to be captured for posterity. But I'm not about to drop that kind of coin. There are a lot of good (perhaps not equal, but good) alternatives out there for considerably cheaper.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
No need to get a POS chinese cam for $20,. Plenty of very decent quality 1080P cameras at under $100. I myself have a G1W ($60) for the main front cam and it is quite good quality. If I upgrade the main front cam, I'll delegate the current G1W to the rear as well

$450 is definitely a bit steep, and the overlay info is nice but some of it does seem more fun than useful (g-force, pitch roll). The speed and gps coordinates are going to be very useful of course. And thankfully there are very high quality options with those data sets for cheaper as well.

Dashcamtalk.com is a great website reviewing cam options and also has great advice on how to avoid cheap knock offs as well.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Looks like a great display, and the cam quality is superb. How is it at night?

I'm not a fan of the button on the steering wheel. If it's secure, then I guarantee after a short while, it will leave a mark on the wheel, meaning that once it's on, you'll likely be keeping it there forever. Seems to me that they could have built voice activation into it so that a spoken command would "mark" clips for future reference.

In any event, I'm thinking more and more about getting a cam; some of the stupidity I'm seeing out on the roads deserves to be captured for posterity. But I'm not about to drop that kind of coin. There are a lot of good (perhaps not equal, but good) alternatives out there for considerably cheaper.
After having it there for about 2 days, I took the button off. It was interfering with how the steering wheel slides in my hands around turns and such, it just didn't feel right. I don't use the button much so i'll just stow it away until I think of a better place to put it.

I'll get a recording at night and upload it to Youtube. Just from briefly looking at it, the quality is very good. The main thing with night time video recording is being able to capture enough light to keep the frame rate high. I'll have to look at the file and see what it's actually playing at, but it appears to still be at a solid 60fps at night too. My security camera for instance records at 30fps during the day, but drops to a measly 8fps at night because the shutter is kept open for much much longer. Waylens specifically designed it with a large lens for this purpose. That was actually the reason why I bought the Waylens, being able to record at 60fps (or 720p 120fps if I wanted to). I think that 30fps causes too much motion blur, especially if something happens on a highway.

nist7, I agree that $450 is a bit steep, but I got it for $300 as a Kickstarter backer, so it doesn't sting as bad lol. Overall I'm very pleased with the end result. I know I could have probably come up with my own solution using my OBD2 bluetooth adapter and the Torque app, but it would have still been a cobbled together system. This is definitely an enthusiast camera, and I would venture to say that me using it as a daily driver camera is severely limiting its potential. I'll use this as an excuse to finally take my car to a track!

Also, thanks for mentioning the G1W. I may demote my chinese dash cam even further and pick one of those up instead for the rear. You know what, I'm doing it all wrong... I should have done it the Google way:
Waylens Dash Cam-device-car.jpg
nist7 (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by jefflikesbagels
nist7, I agree that $450 is a bit steep, but I got it for $300 as a Kickstarter backer, so it doesn't sting as bad lol. Overall I'm very pleased with the end result. I know I could have probably come up with my own solution using my OBD2 bluetooth adapter and the Torque app, but it would have still been a cobbled together system. This is definitely an enthusiast camera, and I would venture to say that me using it as a daily driver camera is severely limiting its potential. I'll use this as an excuse to finally take my car to a track!

Also, thanks for mentioning the G1W. I may demote my chinese dash cam even further and pick one of those up instead for the rear. You know what, I'm doing it all wrong... I should have done it the Google way:
Attachment 40038
AH nice. $300 is not too bad, and with the amount of data it captures, not too bad...as long as it has a very good lens/bitrate and it has good customer support. But yes definitely would be very useful to use it as a data/telemtrics device for track days.

Yeah checkout G1W and the other similar ones on dashcamtalk.com, a very very highly populated website that has lots of good options for dashcams!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nist7
AH nice. $300 is not too bad, and with the amount of data it captures, not too bad...as long as it has a very good lens/bitrate and it has good customer support. But yes definitely would be very useful to use it as a data/telemtrics device for track days.

Yeah checkout G1W and the other similar ones on dashcamtalk.com, a very very highly populated website that has lots of good options for dashcams!
Speaking of bitrate, 37 Mbps is what VLC is showing me for the video files. That's insane! My 1440p security camera records at only 1 Mbps. I have a 128GB SD card in the Waylens, and it took up like 5GB in the first few minutes lol.

Last edited by jefflikesbagels; 11-08-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:45 PM
Instructor

My apologies, I completely forgot to post the night time video. Here it is:

Old 01-17-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
im completely fine with my thinkware that cost me 50 bucks at best buy.. $450 is way too steep.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:35 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by jefflikesbagels
My apologies, I completely forgot to post the night time video. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odd9dGy95m8
This camera display does look legit, even at night. $450 just for front only does seem steep. Seems like something I would purchase though.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:43 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
This camera display does look legit, even at night. $450 just for front only does seem steep. Seems like something I would purchase though.
cuz you got deep pockets
carbonTSEX (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 10:31 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
cuz you got deep pockets
Nah.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Concept looks cool. However 99% of cameras w/ GPS will give you overlay data including GPS location, Speed, g-Force. Only thing you won't get is the RPM and other car specific information.

I bought a Vicovation for sub 100 on sale and it records in 2k@30FPS or 1080p@60fps and has a GPS module. I'm not sure why you would want to spend 450+ for a front only camera.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Definitely understand everyone's points. I think eventually they will lower the price as they are able to recoup from the Kickstarter project and make their manufacturing process more efficient. For me, I personally think that the $300 backer cost I paid is well worth it, however it's also at the steep end of what I would be willing to pay. For how much they are charging post-Kickstarter, they are catering to a very, very, very specific crowd of people (especially people with deep pockets!).

I still need to take my car to a track to get some actual footage!
carbonTSEX (01-20-2017)