Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To warm or not to warm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To warm or not to warm?

Just an interesting topic that I want to bring up for discussion.

Now that the weather has gotten colder here in the Northeast and temps down to the 20's at night I put out my question to you all.

Due to my work situation my TL is often left in a parking lot to suffer the elements instead of a garage at home. So in the morning when I start her up, what's the concensus on the warm up period, if any?

There are two opposing thoughts on this. One camp said just start her up and drive. This will get the engine to it's opearting temp faster and wastes less gas. I'm not concerned in the saving gas part but more for durability. The other camp said, let her warm up, to the point of where at least the temp gauge is moving up.

As an mechanical engineer who has drifted to management, I can see both sides. One says do it quickly so the friction and wear is greatest but won't last as long since temps will rise quickly. The other says do it slowly so the friction and wear is slow but that condition is longer in duration as you idle the car.

So in the end, is it the same? I still remember my Tribology class but real world situations can be slightly different.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I can't inagine the fuel savings of driving off to amount to a hill of beans. That being said I drive off.

Start it up, hook up your seat belt, set the radio & go. By that time you have full oil pressure.

Keep it under 3500rpm till the temp comes up.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-08-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I tend to drive within a few seconds of starting the car, although I am gentle until the car's up to normal operating temperature.

It doesn't take long.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
In very cold weather the computer will cause the engine to idle at higher RPM, like 1.5 or 2k. If you wait a couple minutes you will see the RPMs drop down to about 1k, indicating that the computer thinks it is ready to go, based on it's various censor readings.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I always let my car warm up for a couple of minutes to ensure the oil pressure is up, but it's not a necessity. See here:

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...-up.cfm?attr=8

There are other parts of the car that need to be "warmed up" too, and you can only do that by driving.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by BigWopHH
I always let my car warm up for a couple of minutes to ensure the oil pressure is up, but it's not a necessity. See here:

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...-up.cfm?attr=8

There are other parts of the car that need to be "warmed up" too, and you can only do that by driving.
Good article. I agree with the above article, and have seen info similar to that posted above elsewhere. Excessive idling wastes gas and doesn't really help all that much (except warm up the car's interior).

On cold winter days, just drive and go. Slow/easy acceleration for the first few minutes until the bearings and transmission warm up.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
the article is right about warming the car does waste gas, but i would still warm up the car for about 4-5 mins before driving. that article is a government article more concerned w/ the environment and greenhouse gases than your car. i don't think the government is concerned about what's better for your car. if your car doesn't last as long or needs more maintenance, that's more money being spent for the economy
Old 12-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I warm-up my car while I'm brushing away all the snow and removing the frost from windows, whipers, head and taillights. Usually takes 3-5 minutes so the engine is ready to roll. Of course take it easy for a couple of minutes, cold climate is harsh for a car...
Old 12-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SG81
that article is a government article more concerned w/ the environment and greenhouse gases than your car. i don't think the government is concerned about what's better for your car. if your car doesn't last as long or needs more maintenance, that's more money being spent for the economy

The politicians are feeling pressured by the environmentalists to push this.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:39 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Modern fuel injected cars do not need to idle or "warm up" for more than 30 seconds to a minute depending on the climate anything longer is really a waste of gas. I start my car, buckle my seat belt, throw it in reverse and go. I'm very easy on the car until I see the temp gauge begin to rise.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Plus all these Honda's and Acura's and most new model cars run on 5W anyway. One to two minutes is enough to get going if the car is driven regularly obviously take it easy until fully warmed up. If the car sits for a few days at a time or longer then I would actually let it warm up a bit. If it's a brand new car or engine and is still breaking in than too much idle is a bad thing.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 12-08-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I have always started my car and driven off. I always use synthetic oil in my vehicles so oil circulation is a non issue. As been stated, gas is being wasted waiting for the car to warm up, PLUS the engine will warm up faster if its doing work. Who wants to sit in a cold car when you can drive off and have heat sooner? My 1984 Toyota pickup is 24 years old, with never a warm up and my neighbor has it now and its still running, so there is no wear issue either.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny, I was just thinking about this the last few times I have started my car as it has been really cold here in the Northwest.

I used to live in Wyoming where it got much colder, but I had a much crappier car at the time so I didn't really care and would just start and go.

I typically wait until the navigation boots up to the "push ok" screen, push ok, then head out. That gives the car about 30 seconds between starting it and taking off, which probably makes no mechanical difference, but it has a nice psychological effect for me as it makes me think I've given it proper time to briefly warm up before I head out.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
the article is right about warming the car does waste gas, but i would still warm up the car for about 4-5 mins before driving. that article is a government article more concerned w/ the environment and greenhouse gases than your car. i don't think the government is concerned about what's better for your car. if your car doesn't last as long or needs more maintenance, that's more money being spent for the economy
Originally Posted by Litt
The politicians are feeling pressured by the environmentalists to push this.
Yes, those crazy Liberal environmentalists and their scientific and engineering research! To hell with facts, and this is all some sort of a conspiracy to take away my rights to let my car idle pointlessly, my rights to waste gas and increase our dependence on oil and my rights to ruin my own car!

Wow...

Don't let your car warm up and like a few others have said and those w/ us w/ Navi, by the time you hit the "OK" button, it's time to start rolling on.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

^LOL....well said.

For those who can't comprehend the fuel savings of driving off after 10-20 seconds (which is all it needs to "warm up") versus idling for 5 - 10 minutes...car idling = 0 mpg.

Do the math.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I believe the owner's manual states that warming up the engine > 1 minute is not needed. No matter the temperature, a 1 minute warm-up, tops is actually needed.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Interesting and after some searching on the net after creating this thread, it seems the concensus is no to very little warm up is needed.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Modern cars with O2 sensors and PCV(Purge Control Solenoid Valve) which controls emissions and fuel to air ratio, there is no need to let the car warm up. The onboard ECU calculates this and the car even at start up takes these variables into account and optimum ratios are attained instantaneously. The example given in this thread about RPM's being high at startup is a good example of this. More and more if not all manufactures use this means to get a vehicle at optimum temps fastest to reduce start-up wear.

What people forget or don't have an understanding of is that their primary concern should be the transmission. The reason to keep RPM's low after start up is not to benefit the engine but to benefit the transmission and let the ATF warm up fully.

Another misconception or myth is that starting the car and jumping on the freeway is really bad for your car. In reality it is easier on the car as you only place load on the engine/tranny once(merging on the freeway) and then the car warms up at a constant rate. When driving in town with stop and go traffic, you have to put on loads multiple times resulting in more loads and more wear until car is warmed up.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Racer

Stationary warming warming of a vehicle for over 1 minute is wasteful and unnecessary. Doing this is like sending Exxon Mobil a donation. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket that badly, e-mail me. I will gladly take it off your hands and put it to good use.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Pro

Well, looks like I learned something new.

No more 4-5 mins. warm-up, I'll try below 2-3 mins instead.

Useful thread!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one that tries to warm up their car before driving off in cold weather. I see people all the time start up their car and drive off in less than 5 seconds...
Old 12-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
I can't inagine the fuel savings of driving off to amount to a hill of beans. That being said I drive off.

Start it up, hook up your seat belt, set the radio & go. By that time you have full oil pressure.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Eli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

This is tough for me, when I pull out of my home I go up a steep hill, and I need a low gear but don't want to push the engine when its cold.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Yes, those crazy Liberal environmentalists and their scientific and engineering research! To hell with facts, and this is all some sort of a conspiracy to take away my rights to let my car idle pointlessly, my rights to waste gas and increase our dependence on oil and my rights to ruin my own car!

Wow...
Ok, well I'll let you think you are saving the world by driving your car off cold. Never mind these global warming models are based on made up and altered data, and a bunch of assumptions. See the recent climate gate scandal at the University of East Anglia Climate Research Unit.

Honestly anyone who spends $40k on a car with 300 HP and then is worried about wasting maybe a dollar or less on gas to warm up said car is crazy.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Ok, well I'll let you think you are saving the world by driving your car off cold. Never mind these global warming models are based on made up and altered data, and a bunch of assumptions. See the recent climate gate scandal at the University of East Anglia Climate Research Unit.
You're changing the subject and dodging the issue at hand, and let's take the environmental side out of it for now and just look at the bare bones facts and the math: is letting your car idle to warm waste gas and bad for most of the parts in the long run? Yes. Case closed.

Honestly anyone who spends $40k on a car with 300 HP and then is worried about wasting maybe a dollar or less on gas to warm up said car is crazy.
Again, flawed logic. How about anyone who spends $40K on a car wanting to take care of it and treating it the best way they possibly can for the long haul?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Acuragate...

Originally Posted by ESHBG
You're changing the subject and dodging the issue at hand, and let's take the environmental side out of it for now and just look at the bare bones facts and the math: is letting your car idle to warm waste gas and bad for most of the parts in the long run? Yes. Case closed.
So "the science is settled".

Last edited by McAcura; 12-10-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Racer

I disagree with your idea that driving off a car in very cold weather, without letting it warm up, is good for the car.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Search around the internet and read from the respectable auto sites. I used to believe that (and thus starting this thread) but the more I read, the more I think you really don't need more than a minute.

This is similar to the often ask "Do I need to break in my engine?" question.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I disagree with your idea that driving off a car in very cold weather, without letting it warm up, is good for the car.
You guys are probably still on factory fill or are still using the recommended oil 5w-20, maybe 0w-20 if you're in real cold temps. Do you understand the viscosity rating? It's thin in cold temps to provide lubrication to the valvetrain & bearings quickly, once it warms up (believe me it doesn't take much time at all for the engine to warm up), the viscosity increases and oil pressure becomes very stable. It doesn't take the engine long to heat up & for the oil to thicken. Aside from that fact is the factory fill is synthetic so even in the low viscosity / winter rating, it's still has excellent wear protection. I bet if one of you did an 2 minute idle vs. a short idle & driveoff, the oil analysis wouldn't be much different (all things being equal of course). It's more important to ensure your intake filter is clean & you run a quality oil & filter than worrying about cold temp startup.