4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Unsure if I should buy this car. High miles 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD w/ Tech Package

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unsure if I should buy this car. High miles 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD w/ Tech Package

I currently have a 2005 Acura TL that I am looking to replace. I was originally looking at Lexus IS350 and GS350's used but they're still pricey to get what I want. It seems the Acura TL is still amazingly priced in the used market.

I found a 2009 TL SH-AWD w/ Tech Package for $12,000 which is half the price of the IS350 and GS350's I was looking at. My concern is that it's at 104k miles with 3 owners. No accidents on record and I don't see anything else alarming on the carfax report but I feel like I'm being hasty. I think I want to go test drive it tonight.

If it drives and feels okay, are there any major concerns? I know that the timing belt needs to be replaced at 100k so that will be my first question.

Here's the link to the car (apologies for the brutal text-wall link): Cars for Sale: Used 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD for sale in Merrillville, IN 46410: Sedan Details - 456006226 - Autotrader

Carfax report link: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...UA96549A004387
Old 05-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The gamble when buying a used TL SH-AWD is not knowing if the engine will burn a lot of oil until owning it and driving it for about a thousand miles but Acura has stated that burning a quart of oil per 1,000 miles is normal. Otherwise when test driving, look out for any transmission stutter due to a bad torque converter, shocks going bad, and listen for a whine coming from the propeller shaft.

More information can be found here: https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...ch-out-943416/
Old 05-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Given that it's 8 years old now, the mileage isn't that unexpected. Yes, you can buy lower mileage examples, but this one is equivalent to about 165000km, or 20000km per year of driving... that seems normal to me.

What I would be concerned about is the black paint having gone through that many miles. If it wasn't taken care of in a very specific manner, it may look like shit up close.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MenacerX686
The gamble when buying a used TL SH-AWD is not knowing if the engine will burn a lot of oil until owning it and driving it for about a thousand miles but Acura has stated that burning a quart of oil per 1,000 miles is normal. Otherwise when test driving, look out for any transmission stutter due to a bad torque converter, shocks going bad, and listen for a whine coming from the propeller shaft.

More information can be found here: https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...ch-out-943416/
Thank you very much. This is the kind of info I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Given that it's 8 years old now, the mileage isn't that unexpected. Yes, you can buy lower mileage examples, but this one is equivalent to about 165000km, or 20000km per year of driving... that seems normal to me.

What I would be concerned about is the black paint having gone through that many miles. If it wasn't taken care of in a very specific manner, it may look like shit up close.
Yeah there does seem to be a deviation on the hood but I don't have a big issue with a minor imperfection here and there given the history.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:42 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Check maintenance records to see if timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, coolant, have been changed, preferably at a dealership with genuine parts.
Check battery, it is a small expense, but still something to look at.
Check condition of brake fluid and ask when it was last changed (~2 years).
Check for water damage, yep, with all the flooding going on you never know.
Check of recalls have been done (software for torque converter locking and air bag inflator).
Check front door speakers, some have been bad.
Check underneath rear for any leak around the differential.
Check for tire wear, the awd is known to "eat" tires LOL.
Check if prop shaft has been changed (as mentioned above that whistling noise) That is a big ticket item.
Check lumbar support on driver seat, these are known to go bad, not a biggie but still an issue.

Can you please remove that black paint from the OEM wheels? Its an eyesore!

Ps If I can think of anything else I have experience with mine over the past few years I'll let you know. It is important at that mileage that the owner followed the maintenance minder service guide. If he/she has then its a solid car.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Mileage isn't unexpected, but I'd be cautious of the fact that there were already three previous owners. Cars are like women; take a close look at the ones that have gotten around, and usually you'll discover why.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
You'll need to do the following in the future and as well look out for issues:

1. Oil Consumption - If this occurs you'll need a new engine.
2. Prop Shaft Whine/Whistle
3. 105K Service + Valve Adjustment is about $699 + $400 at an independent shop.
4. New shocks - About $600 with labor and parts
5. Torque Converter - being a 2009 and with 3 owners it probably was replaced under the 7yr 105K warranty so you should be good. Still, check the condition of the trans and it's fluid and go for a good extended test drive. Fluid should be pinkish red. A 12 quart case can be found for under $90 online with free shipping and you can have a shop change the fluid completely for under $200 in labor.
6. Make sure you push it in the curves (esp if there are good tires on it) and enjoy the SH-AWD systems. It's pretty fun!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Cruisin'

buy mine ,less miles and under extended warranty....
Old 05-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
1. Oil Consumption - If this occurs you'll need a new engine.
Why would you need a new engine if it consumes oil? Isn't it a lot easier to just add a bit of oil once in a while than to replace the whole engine?
Old 05-20-2017, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

I was going to say the same thing. You DON'T need a new engine if you're consuming oil. You just have to check the oil levels every week or two and top up.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Team Owner

And he doesn't need new shocks either. Will new ones be better? Likely a bit, yes. But that doesn't mean he needs to replace them.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dejan
Why would you need a new engine if it consumes oil? Isn't it a lot easier to just add a bit of oil once in a while than to replace the whole engine?
If you are burning more than 1quart/1k miles, all of that carbon has to go somewhere and it's coating the valves, exhaust ports and cats. Even if you add more oil the performance is going to continue to degrade and oil consumption may get worse.

Also shocks aren't a necessary item, but as they wear it increases stopping distances and causes uneven tire wear which can mean going through tires faster. I replaced the shocks on my 3G TL after the tires were wearing unevenly after alignments at 140K and it made a world of improvement. I'm doing the MDX soon at 130K and the 4G TL probably around 105K.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesn't modern premium gas have additives that clean the carbon as you drive?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 649 Likes on 349 Posts
I'd look at the carfax and see the length of ownership for each. Also if the car is in good condition pay asking and negotiate the 105k service be done. If they don't go find another TL
Old 05-22-2017, 05:17 PM
Cruisin'

i wasnt joking im going to sell mine,just didnt have time to post...i can give you vin if you want
Old 05-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dejan
Doesn't modern premium gas have additives that clean the carbon as you drive?
Yes and no, there is only so much carbon that can be cleaned, esp with a car burning oil.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Due Diligence

nothing about that car seems abnormal. 3 owners in 105K miles wouldn't worry me so long as it is taken care of. If you don't know what to look for, or how to spot overspray and other indications of bodywork, have someone come along who can. Have a good mechanic look it over. If everything checks out, try to negotiate a price you're comfortable with knowing you'll probably be spending $1,000-$1,400 for the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, etc and inevitable other items that the mechanic is likely to spot (serpentine belt, brake fluid, etc). Once those things are completed, these cars are generally pretty rock solid and I'd imagine you'll get many more miles of trouble free ownership. Sure there is some risk as there would be with any used car with 100K on the odo, but if you look at long term Consumer Reports for common problems with the TL, it's a lower risk than just about anything else out there for the type of car and options. Good luck with the decision!