AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   Transmission (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/transmission-980188/)

Oscar72 06-12-2019 11:44 AM

Transmission

Hello,
I took my car to a garage that usually will help do some work on my Acura TL after I started hearing some whistling noise as I drive. This noise started after they had done some tuneup service. When I took the back, they told me I had a transmission issue. They quoted me for about $4000 for the rebuild of my existing transmission. I was not going to afford this so a buddy of mine recommended taking it somewhere else. The guy at the new place charged me even before setting eyes on the car but the price was right. He charged $1600 which I sent $800 to my buddy for the transmission to be ordered. They found one with 64000 miles. My car has 136000 miles. When I took it we test drove it but he was not 100% sure it was a transmission issue even with this noise. Days later, the car was done and picked it up. The car still had the noise. I told the guy and he thinks it was my tires. One day after that my car was hit by my Friend's mom. Just a little scratch. Took the car to be fixed and the place where I took it is now telling that the noise is as a result of a wheel bearing issue. My question now is did my car had a transmission issue to start with? Can I ask the guy that replaced my transmission to give me my transmission? What can I do with the transmission?

Thanks

justnspace 06-12-2019 12:06 PM

you've got taken for a ride....and not in a good way...
we cant verify if you initially had a problem with the tranny, but that's what you will have to do from now on.. VERIFY.

Never okay the go ahead without verifying....

daGeek 06-12-2019 12:30 PM

Does it sound something like this?

Oscar72 06-12-2019 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16438792)
you've got taken for a ride....and not in a good way...
we cant verify if you initially had a problem with the tranny, but that's what you will have to do from now on.. VERIFY.

Never okay the go ahead without verifying....

What will I do with the old transmission? Can I sell it?

losiglow 06-12-2019 12:48 PM

Some of these cars had torque converter issues, but I don't believe that the noise you described was a symptom. As for the transmission itself, it's relatively solid. I'm afraid you got ripped off.

There's nothing you can really do with the old transmission. It's not as if you could test it to see if it was defective. And most shops quote work like that with the assumption that they're keeping the old one that they can sell to a rebuild shop or something to recoup costs.

I'm afraid that with noises like that, you're at the mercy of your mechanic. Assuming you're not mechanically inclined. We've all encountered odd noises that had to be "hunted down" for lack of better words. At the very least, I'd consider getting a 2nd opinion from another mechanic that is highly rated on Google.

Oscar72 06-12-2019 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16438821)
Some of these cars had torque converter issues, but I don't believe that the noise you described was a symptom. As for the transmission itself, it's relatively solid. I'm afraid you got ripped off.

There's nothing you can really do with the old transmission. It's not as if you could test it to see if it was defective. And most shops quote work like that with the assumption that they're keeping the old one that they can sell to a rebuild shop or something to recoup costs.

I'm afraid that with noises like that, you're at the mercy of your mechanic. Assuming you're not mechanically inclined. We've all encountered odd noises that had to be "hunted down" for lack of better words. At the very least, I'd consider getting a 2nd opinion from another mechanic that is highly rated on Google.

I have a oil change package with Acura and they will check it again for me. Thanks