Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trading in HFP coupe for '13 SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 03:17 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Trading in HFP coupe for '13 SH-AWD

Hi all,
in the morning I'm considering trading my mint 13 Accord V6 6MT HFP Edition for a 13 TL Tech auto SH-AWD. same mileage. I need a hwy car that can handle rain and slick conditions for commuting to a new job. I hate to say it but the TL isn't as in good condition as my Accord but it's purpose will be better served. This trade will cost me thousands because we pay 12% in BC. In your opinion is this a worthy venture?
Old 06-26-2018, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Hmmm. That's a tough one. If you're only purchasing the TL for the AWD I'd say no. I'd put on some premium tires such as Bridgestone Blizzaks if it's snowy. Those things make even a rear wheel drive vehicle rock solid. Or for rainy and wet conditions, the Continental DWS06 and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 are excellent in wet and hydroplaning resistance. Tires are probably responsible for 80% of the traction in bad weather. AWD makes up the other 20%. In my opinion, AWD is a "nice" feature in bad weather with tires being the primary factor. The ones who disagree with me I'll typically see in ditches or having an intimate encounter with a side-rail when heading up the canyon's here in Utah in the winter. Most of them are Subaru's or AWD SUV's.

If you're purchasing the TL for the added tech, upgraded stereo and interior, then I'd consider it. I don't think I'll ever be able to go with a non-luxury car after owning three Acura's. But for AWD only? No. Also, you're "downgrading" in terms of the transmission. While the TL has the manual mode which you can downshift to get more traction in bad weather, a true manual will still be better - assuming you're any good with a stick, be quicker to downshift.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:24 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks! I'm headed over to Vancouver on the ferry from Victoria right now so I'm glad you responded. I have 5000kms in Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus. They're very capable in adverse conditions. Before this car I had an Accord Hybrid, a big heavy 0-60 6.2s comfy sedan with amazing fuel economy. I should have kept it, sold it for lack of interface via bluetooth or even a 3.5mm aux in. Wow bad move not including at least that Honda.

Anyway, in my attempt to replace that car I felt a 4th gen TL SH-AWD would give me back what I had and then some. Am I right, or considering the faults one could speculate on with this car, is the added luxury this car offers better found in a 9th gen Accord V6 sedan or wait to afford a '16+ TLX SH-AWD? The car I'm going to see is a certified '13 Tech awd 67k kms ELS sound black black C$22k asking at Acura dealer lease return

My car has found very little in interest in congested little Victoria unfortunately, being its summer time maybe Vancouver where's there's room to give 6th gear a turn it will hold enough value make this trade a reasonable decision. Ferry's about to unload...
Old 06-26-2018, 11:22 AM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Won't be any better in the snow than your Accord, except maybe starting from a dead stop w/ AWD. But honestly, FWD cars are already pretty good at that.

After last winter (I live in Minnesota) I've decided my TL is a deathtrap waiting to happen in the snow. Never got stuck, but 8" wide stock tires are terrible for stopping or changing direction. I'll be getting 7" wide Blizzaks this fall, even if I have to get different rims. (will have 50k on the current tires, by then so...)

But it also sounds like your mind is made up. Drive safe.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Drpower

Anyway, in my attempt to replace that car I felt a 4th gen TL SH-AWD would give me back what I had and then some. Am I right, or considering the faults one could speculate on with this car, is the added luxury this car offers better found in a 9th gen Accord V6 sedan or wait to afford a '16+ TLX SH-AWD? The car I'm going to see is a certified '13 Tech awd 67k kms ELS sound black black C$22k asking at Acura dealer lease return
It kind of depends on what features you're looking for. The 9th gen has a few other bells and whistles such as emergency braking assist, blind spot monitoring and some audio connectivity and features that are better than the 4th gen TL. Mind you, the TL's stereo system is far superior in terms of sound quality but the 9th gen is more up to date tech-wise.

I've only driven the TLX once, as a loaner car, while the dealer was updating the transmission software and changing out the Takata airbags in my TL. It has all the new tech that the 9th gen accord has along with the luxury of the TL. But I really didn't get to push it hard or get used to it much. So I can't really say it's better or worse than the TL or Accord.

And you mentioned the faults of the car. As you're probably aware, the 3.7L in the TL and MDX has often burned oil, I believe due to the new cylinder liners they used. It is also prone to propeller shaft bearing failure that drives the rear differential. I'd consider those two items - neither of which you need to worry about with your Accord. I've said before in other threads that those items wouldn't keep me from purchasing the car if it was in my price range when I picked up my TL. I purchased the FWD - 3.5L doesn't have the cylinder liner issue and of course, no propeller shaft since it doesn't have a rear differential. But that's just me.

Best of luck on your decision. I think it ultimately comes down to weighing the options of cost, benefits of the TL over the Accord you have, and whether or not those benefits are something that would be effective or appreciated once you got the car.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dv-
Won't be any better in the snow than your Accord, except maybe starting from a dead stop w/ AWD. But honestly, FWD cars are already pretty good at that.
Agreed. The SH-AWD system is magic but I'd only purchase it for the handling rather than bad weather traction. Cornering and agility are far better with the SH-AWD system but when it comes to traction in bad weather - it's all about the tires, not the drivetrain.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:18 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks guys. Test drove the 13 sh-awd wow holy cow its fast and handles deadly. I'd be sold if it weren't for the exterior condition 6.5/10. Going to test drive an 18 sh-awd tech. These cars are a world away from my little coupe.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
SH-AWD is a revelation, isn't it? And these cars are plenty fast.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:26 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
I can only imagine how fast the SH-AWD has to be. Has to feel like a rocket! I test drove a brand new 2017 Honda Accord V6 FWD and after getting into my current 2013 Acura TL FWD it blew the Accord away. Much better car in my opinion. Was an easy decision afterward, the Accord EX-L just felt sloppy and didn’t have the same power distribution as the TL.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Agreed. The SH-AWD system is magic but I'd only purchase it for the handling rather than bad weather traction. Cornering and agility are far better with the SH-AWD system but when it comes to traction in bad weather - it's all about the tires, not the drivetrain.
I agree completely that tires are the most important thing when driving in the winter. However, don't sell the SH-AWD short in terms to being superior to the FWD in the winter. Maybe if you live in a flat area where you're just starting/stopping in the winter, snow tires would be sufficient. But around here with the hills and curves and frozen tundra we get in the winter, the SH-AWD with a set of winter tires is by far the BEST setup I've driven in my 45+ years behind the wheel. I could tell the difference moving from my '15 RDX AWD to my '17 MDX SH-AWD this past winter, and would suggest the SH-AWD to anyone who wants to get the best traction in the winter months - and upgrade the tires at the same time.

andy
Old 06-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Drifting

I can't disagree with that. If I lived in an area that regularly experienced heavy snowfall and icy conditions I'd strongly consider some type of AWD system, SH-AWD being at the top of the list.

I live in SLC, Utah and we get 4-5 real snowstorms per year in the valley. By "real" I mean something with decent accumulation on the roads - more than just a bit slippery. In the past, I've just used a good all-seasons that's rated well in snow and called it a day. With even FWD, you'll do fine as long as you're cautious. But once I started driving Uber up in Park City things got a bit more real. It's about 7000ft. up there so naturally they get lot more snow than the valley, which also sticks a lot longer since it's typically 20 degrees colder as well. I learned real fast that going up a steep icy and snow packed grade with even the best all-season tires doesn't work so well - possibly in short bursts if you get some momentum but otherwise you're screwed. And heading up a canyon in white out conditions turned into a very tense white-knuckle ride. Then I slapped some Blizzaks on the TL and holy hell, I expected an improvement but not that drastic. The thing turned into a snow tank. I've gone up roads with as high as 35 degree grades with no problem. And down the same, which is scarier. Even my deliberate attempts to break traction usually fail. I'll occasionally try to drift or do a doughnut but with those things on, they just grab the snow and make me look like a fool. A good problem to have I guess.

Now if I lived up there, rather than just driving it on the weekends, I'd strongly consider an AWD since I can only imagine an AWD combined with those tires being nearly unstoppable. I've lived in snowy areas my whole life so I feel like the experience combined with the engineering marvels of snow tires is more than enough with just a FWD car. But once I get the opportunity to pick up an SH-AWD you can bet I will It will still be more for the dry handling effect that the torque vectoring provides. Any help it provides in bad weather conditions will just be a bonus.

Last edited by losiglow; 06-28-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:54 AM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Drpower
Hi all,
in the morning I'm considering trading my mint 13 Accord V6 6MT HFP Edition for a 13 TL Tech auto SH-AWD. same mileage. I need a hwy car that can handle rain and slick conditions for commuting to a new job. I hate to say it but the TL isn't as in good condition as my Accord but it's purpose will be better served. This trade will cost me thousands because we pay 12% in BC. In your opinion is this a worthy venture?
6 Speed SH-AWD only otherwise... Nawwwww but the SH-AWD is BOSS in the winter with winter tires.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:49 PM
Back to a MT!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went from a 6sp CL with the real LSD which was pretty good in the snow to a 6MT AWD TL which has been much better. Granted I don't get a ton of snow time any more, but snow covered streets in Mammoth have not challenged the car. Tires are pretty important as well and can be the difference between cars in the snow, but having the ability to have 4 points of traction is always better than 2.