Trade my '11 SH-AWD 5AT for a '12 SH-AWD 6MT?

Old 11-04-2018, 04:44 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trade my '11 SH-AWD 5AT for a '12 SH-AWD 6MT?

Waddup fellow Acura enthusiasts,

I bought my 11 SH-AWD with a 5AT in February this year for 12k with 90k miles on it. I love it. Handles great, put new tires brakes rotors. Threw some tints and a 12inch JL in the trunk. I also did the timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment and plugs. I really enjoy this car. Recently I came across a 12 SH-AWD with a 6MT with 60k miles asking 18,999. I believe they will come down some on the price. But the more I think about it do I want to lose the aggresive "beak" which I love on my 11? Or my 18" rims that they didnt put on the 12? And what about the quadtip stock exhaust look? I know it's all esthetic stuff but its what makes the 09-11s so distinguished compared to the rest of the 4gs. On the other hand the MT is what I really wanted from the start but couldn't find one close enough back in Feb and when I did find my current 4g for 12k in mint condition I couldnt pass it up. Now is where I look to all you guys and gals for your opinions and/or experience with this. Anyone make the switch just for the 6MT and regret it? Or was it worth it? Please help!
Old 11-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
This is easy.....6MT I went from 09 AT to 13’ MT. Love it. I also like the 13’ beak better. I do miss the quad tips but if u like them that bad im sure a shop could install them for u.
Ive been considering selling mine but there are no other comparable MT out there. Its soooo much fun.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:45 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Simple answer, the 6MT effectively makes all other considerations moot. Get the new car and enjoy stirring your own gears.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by 4th_GenTLe0260
Waddup fellow Acura enthusiasts,

I bought my 11 SH-AWD with a 5AT in February this year for 12k with 90k miles on it. I love it. Handles great, put new tires brakes rotors. Threw some tints and a 12inch JL in the trunk. I also did the timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment and plugs. I really enjoy this car. Recently I came across a 12 SH-AWD with a 6MT with 60k miles asking 18,999. I believe they will come down some on the price. But the more I think about it do I want to lose the aggresive "beak" which I love on my 11? Or my 18" rims that they didnt put on the 12? And what about the quadtip stock exhaust look? I know it's all esthetic stuff but its what makes the 09-11s so distinguished compared to the rest of the 4gs. On the other hand the MT is what I really wanted from the start but couldn't find one close enough back in Feb and when I did find my current 4g for 12k in mint condition I couldnt pass it up. Now is where I look to all you guys and gals for your opinions and/or experience with this. Anyone make the switch just for the 6MT and regret it? Or was it worth it? Please help!
No one ever switched to a 6MT and regretted it. The manual makes the car so much better IMO. People settle on an auto, but they CHOOSE a manual.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:10 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by SilverJ
No one ever switched to a 6MT and regretted it. The manual makes the car so much better IMO. People settle on an auto, but they CHOOSE a manual.
Well said sir!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:55 AM
Instructor

If someone could name another 4 door sedan with AwD and MT around the same price range (as in new $32-$40k) please let me know!! I do NEED Awd to get to work but also enjoy having it for everyday driving.
Theres a handful of 3 series that have MT but im not that into bmw’s. Honda 18’ accord is offered MT but no awd. Maxima will prob be AWD this year but im sure no MT. (Im not into the Chargers so dont mentioned that if its an option!!). Also shopped the Civic type R..no awd (yet).

I usually trade in my car every 2 years or so. Ive had my TL for 4 yrs and love it.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:18 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by TLbullet
I do NEED Awd to get to work but also enjoy having it for everyday driving.
Not picking on you in particular, but I always laugh when folks say they NEED AWD for everyday driving. I've lived in the cold snowy north for decades, have commuted to and from work daily since the mid 1970s, and have never once owned an AWD vehicle; that and the only winter weather related days of work I've missed were when there was a ban on all non-essential vehicles (i.e. police, ambulance, government, and snow removal). Said another way, while you may very well WANT an AWD equipped car, you certainly don't NEED one.
The following users liked this post:
losiglow (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Fairly new '12 6MT owner here. I would say definitely go for the 6MT. I was in the same boat as you when I was shopping around for mine. My main comparison was the G37 6MT because of the power and the exhaust note but yes, it is RWD with 2 doors. Like you I didn't want to go German (BMW/Audi) cause of the maintenance costs and stuff associated with it. You're only other option would be to look at some Subies but in my opinion their interiors are cheap looking/feeling. That being said, this is my first AWD vehicle and I haven't gotten the chance to drive in the winter yet and see how it is but I would agree with horseshoez and say that you do not NEED AWD. I been driving FWD cars all these years through the horrid Canadian winters and I have been fine. A decent set of winter tires are key. Hope this helps

Last edited by Nev05; 11-14-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:15 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
The '12 MT is an upgrade in many ways, the 6-speed obviously being the biggest upgrade. Exterior looks being second.

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Not picking on you in particular, but I always laugh when folks say they NEED AWD for everyday driving. I've lived in the cold snowy north for decades, have commuted to and from work daily since the mid 1970s, and have never once owned an AWD vehicle; that and the only winter weather related days of work I've missed were when there was a ban on all non-essential vehicles (i.e. police, ambulance, government, and snow removal). Said another way, while you may very well WANT an AWD equipped car, you certainly don't NEED one.
Geez, no kidding. I'm glad to see there's at least one other human being in this whole country that realizes this. I'll try to go on a tangent. What I will say is that I saw more Subaru's and SUV's in ditches and accidents last year than run of the mill FWD sedans. Also, with set of Blizzaks, I can truck it with the best of them in unpacked snow and black ice. I drove Uber in Park City 2016-2017 with my FWD 4G and never came close to losing control. That winter had the highest snowfall in Utah in nearly 20 years. Traction > Drivetrain all day long.

For me, the biggest motivator for the SH-AWD would be cornering in perfectly dry weather. The SH-AWD system is magic at corner vectoring. That would be a bigger motivator for me than inclement weather traction. Too much confidence in AWD during bad weather will result in a close encounter with a curb or freeway barrier real quick.

Last edited by losiglow; 11-14-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nev05
Fairly new '12 6MT owner here. I would say definitely go for the 6MT. I was in the same boat as you when I was shopping around for mine. My main comparison was the G37 6MT because of the power and the exhaust note but yes, it is RWD with 2 doors. Like you I didn't want to go German (BMW/Audi) cause of the maintenance costs and stuff associated with it. You're only other option would be to look at some Subies but in my opinion their interiors are cheap looking/feeling. That being said, this is my first AWD vehicle and I haven't gotten the chance to drive in the winter yet and see how it is but I would agree with horseshoez and say that you do not NEED AWD. I been driving FWD cars all these years through the horrid Canadian winters and I have been fine. A decent set of winter tires are key. Hope this helps
always loved how the G37 sounded..too bad its not AWD or id definitely have bought one!
Old 11-14-2018, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by horseshoez
i dont NEED awd for everyday i want it!!! U ever corner onto an on-ramp in 3rd gear with the AWD pushing the rear?? (Family seadan i may add..not an exotic sports car)
I hear ya on how people think they need it for the snow etc.. but i have to get to work. If i was a teacher or a job where they cancel my work day for 1/2” snow i MAY have a nice RWD vehicle.
But like u mentioned some people have to get to work no matter what...and after working 16 hrs in a snow storm Id rather know i can get home more effieciently w/AWD than sleep at work or stuck on the road somewhere. Im not one of those people zipping around in the storm. A large portion of people w AWD really go way to fast.
Its just nice knowing and having confidence that the TL AWD is gonna get me into bed (and having fun while doing it)!!!!
imho!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
^ Certainly nothing wrong with that. But I'd still invest in snow tires. Remember, accidents occur when trying to stop or slow down. AWD only helps with moving, not stopping.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by losiglow
^ Certainly nothing wrong with that. But I'd still invest in snow tires. Remember, accidents occur when trying to stop or slow down. AWD only helps with moving, not stopping.
^^ got it. Never had snow shoes. Could only imagine how well the car would do with them!!