Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TL vs G37

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
You can reprogram the nav with voice, but I haven't tried it. In the event I need to search for a poi, I do have nav software on my phone that I can use, which fortunately is much better than the poi databases on most nav devices.

I think though that gm on star and lexus enform are the real ways to go if you want to get a new destination enroute.
Infiniti NAV voice works pretty decently actually and is quite fast to use when driving (or even otherwise). In fact from the brief few times I tried, I felt the G got what I was saying more accurately than the TL. But this is from just a brief playing, so take it for what its worth. What G lacks is that its database of POIs and categorizations of the same is much inferior to TL.

I have read that there are also ways to bypass the no-use-while-driving NAV rule if you want to go that route.

I did try the Lexus Enform too during ES350 test drive (the dealer did a demo while we were driving). Yes its nice but a) you have to pay for it, b) it takes longer than entering by hand or even by voice, as you tell the person the addres, he finds it and then sends it to your car.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by sarge_in
Infiniti NAV voice works pretty decently actually and is quite fast to use when driving (or even otherwise). In fact from the brief few times I tried, I felt the G got what I was saying more accurately than the TL. But this is from just a brief playing, so take it for what its worth. What G lacks is that its database of POIs and categorizations of the same is much inferior to TL.

I have read that there are also ways to bypass the no-use-while-driving NAV rule if you want to go that route.

I did try the Lexus Enform too during ES350 test drive (the dealer did a demo while we were driving). Yes its nice but a) you have to pay for it, b) it takes longer than entering by hand or even by voice, as you tell the person the addres, he finds it and then sends it to your car.
Right, but in an emergency, you call them up and ask for the nearest hospital. That to me is much easier than futzing around with the nav system, hoping to find a hospital.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Right, but in an emergency, you call them up and ask for the nearest hospital. That to me is much easier than futzing around with the nav system, hoping to find a hospital.
That's probably true. The TL does have POIs better categorized so it may have Hospitals in its own category - I can't remember though.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
one thing about the POI's is that there were many of them I put in that were no longer there. Same for ATMs. I looked for the nearest ATM of my bank, when I got there, It was actually in the middle of the parking lot of a business park.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Yep, that's dependent on what data the map providers (NAVTEQ etc) provide. I have had similar instances with my Garmin units too.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Finally got the TL SH-AWD w/ Tech today:

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/2012-tl-sh-awd-tech-graphite-w-ebony-835884/

Thanks to everyone here who helped me with the decision - much appreciated!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Burning Brakes

@sarge_in congratulations on the new cars. Looks great.

On another note: 0 to 60 isn't the only way a car is measure:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahel...-buys-of-2011/
Old 10-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Nice props for the G37 in that - cool!

Btw, to answer some of the questions that I raised earlier - the TL NAV does have lane guidance too. It also has the ability to just find "Nearest Hospitals". So seems the only thing in G37's favor is the 3-D view, which is not big at all IMO esp considering the much better classification of POI's in TL.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:51 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,140 Likes on 815 Posts
Sarge_in, welcome to the Acura family.

You definitely won't be disappointed with your great choice.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sarge_in
Nice props for the G37 in that - cool!

Btw, to answer some of the questions that I raised earlier - the TL NAV does have lane guidance too. It also has the ability to just find "Nearest Hospitals". So seems the only thing in G37's favor is the 3-D view, which is not big at all IMO esp considering the much better classification of POI's in TL.
The nav in the car has advantages over phone nav. But if I wanted dunkin donuts or hospitals I would use vz nav, assuming I had a phone signal.
The following users liked this post:
sined (07-21-2013)
Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same headache as yours but finally picked the TL SH-AWD Elite (Advance in US). The G37 engine noise rattles a bit too much in high revs and it is, at least to me, a bit outdated in its exterior looks and cockpit. But definitely give the AWD a test, I personally think it's well worth the extra dollar.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know I've been trolling this forum for a while now and I cannot believe all the anti Audi S4 sentiment. I think it's pretty clear that the Audi S4 beats the brakes of your TL and you guys should just accept it. The Audi S4 is a waaay better sports car. And when you bring up the issue of price...well...let's just say..there's a reason why the S4 costs more. Now in regards to reliability I think that most guys who are semi capable with a set of tools and youtube should opt for the S4. If you are willing to do some minor mechanical things yourself...much better overall car. And as to reliability...I get this a lot. Let me answer that question this way...I've seen several Audi products clear 400,000Km no problem. I'm just saying...the pricey service beats buying a new car. In closing...don't knock the S4 to support your choice of the 3rd best car [the BMW 3 series being No. 2] but try to be a bit more open minded. I find a TON of anti S4 sentiment on these boards.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Instructor

I hope you both realize that I made my decision more than a month back and bought the 2012 SH-AWD Tech, and loving it.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011S4
You know I've been trolling this forum for a while now and I cannot believe all the anti Audi S4 sentiment. I think it's pretty clear that the Audi S4 beats the brakes of your TL and you guys should just accept it. The Audi S4 is a waaay better sports car. And when you bring up the issue of price...well...let's just say..there's a reason why the S4 costs more. Now in regards to reliability I think that most guys who are semi capable with a set of tools and youtube should opt for the S4. If you are willing to do some minor mechanical things yourself...much better overall car. And as to reliability...I get this a lot. Let me answer that question this way...I've seen several Audi products clear 400,000Km no problem. I'm just saying...the pricey service beats buying a new car. In closing...don't knock the S4 to support your choice of the 3rd best car [the BMW 3 series being No. 2] but try to be a bit more open minded. I find a TON of anti S4 sentiment on these boards.
Not sure if this is meant to be troll bait but I'll go ahead. The S4 likely is a better sports car when you consider everything, as far as how much or whether it is waaay better, that depends. Also it's not really anti S4 sentiment it's just that the perspectives are a little different because the comparison is not exactly apples to apples, that includes the 3 series vs the TL as well. It may not be as far apart as apples to oranges but it's more like oranges to tangerines but I'll explain more below.

We have had members here go from a TL to an S4, one in particular went to a 6MT S4 from a TL 6MT and insisted that the TL was a better sports car because of the opinion of the overall feel, the ride and engine character, etc, while the S4 despite being faster was the better luxury car because of certain or different kinds of refinements, so that also depends.

Personally, I think the S4 being faster, smaller, better balanced, a compact, and having a more sport oriented demeanor overall IMO, like firmer brake and steering feel as well as springier suspension, makes it a better sports car, again IMO. That is mostly feel, as far as overall performance and bottom-line capabilities, straight-line acceleration is the only thing the TL gives up to the S4, not handling or brakes necessarily and that is greatly reduced with a 6MT version. Links below to back this up.

The fact that it is a mid size sedan excuses much of that because that kind of car typically warrants a bit of an acceleration reduction compared to some sport compacts (think S4 vs A6, 535 vs 335, etc) and that type of consumer usually doesn't mind and is a little different, not being after that part of it as much or after the same exact things as a luxury compact consumer is. The two cars are not the most direct of competitors for a few reasons.

Honestly, if acceleration is the main priority, a sport compact is usually the way to go in the luxury segments unless it's a specialty mid size model like an M5 or CTS-V, etc, which is kind of far from S4 and TL kind of coin. Most TL buyers of either model are not exactly after the most sportiest of aspirations be it feel, demeanor, acceleration or overall capabilities, they want a lot of that too but will sacrifice some for a little more elsewhere and a different driving experience with things like size, space, possibly comfort, a more relaxed (maybe even grown-up) demeanor or image, etc, besides the reliabilty, resale, and maintenance cost stuff.

As far as reliability, it could be hit or miss with either of these cars but statistically there is a favorite and you can say much of the same for the issue of maintenance costs but you can do most or all of the work yourself in either case.

I agree that there is a reason why the S4 costs more but I don't think all of the cost is well represented or that it is all for the right reasons, especially when compared to the TL. Some of it is however but some of it isn’t but that is only my perspective largely based on a comparably equipped S4 running nearly $60k which is better equipped and more luxurious 535 and A6 money, etc, making it hard for me to justify the S4 and it's cost for only going a little faster, as far as everyday driving measures, or handling a little better when compared to those cars, but compared to the 3 series and C class appropriately, I would agree completely.

When it comes to being compared to the TL, IMO it's best summed up as $11k-$15k, based only on MSRP, for just going faster in a straight line, and having a few more features, while also going down a size (which may be a plus to some), while being statistically inferior in reliability and possibly resale and maintenance costs, at the same time but it really does all depend on what you are specifically looking for to begin with, that's what decides the best car for yourself, which is the only thing that matters.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...4/viewall.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...door-firepower

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 12-03-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Having been in my 2010 TL 6MT for more than 20 months after leasing a 2007 335 6MT, I can honestly say the brake and steering feel of the Acura that gets negative reviews are entirely short term, (if not short-sighted) subjectivity of reviewers who only get to spend a short time with the respective cars. I no longer believe it has much to do with true performance, driveability, or longer term driving enjoyment. Now that I'm over the "Teutonic, Ultimate Driving Machine feel" to which I was accustomed with the BMW, I feel I can modulate the brakes on the TL as well as I could with the BMW, I feel I can place the car in an aggressive cornering situation as well as the BMW, and I can release the clutch as smoothly as I could in the BMW. However, when I first bought the TL, I thought the lighter steering, mushier feeling brakes, and different clutch feel were all huge trade-offs I had to accept in return for more space, better reliability, and lower ownership costs of the TL. My psychology involving what is supposed to be the benchmark feel for driving interfaces (clutch, steering, brakes) of a performance sedan is now a little less influenced by the opinion leaders in the automotive media. Maybe a BMW is a better car from the standpoint that an automotive journalist can jump in and feel like he's driving like a pro from the start vs. the driving characteristics of any other car that may require acclimation in a few months of ownership. Granted, I'm talking about driving interfaces, not so much quality of the dash and leather (ie, I'm not trying to make an argument the TL is more luxurious than the Germans).

Does this mean I may be drinking Acura TL Kool-Aid, now? You bet, just like I was when I got sucked in to the Ultimate Driving Machine Kool-Aid - the only difference is I had to sell myself on the Acura over weeks of ownership, where one BMW or Audi test drive combined with a supportive media does it for them in a much shorter period of time.

BTW, going back to the G37 vs. TL original discussion, an interesting piece of data I didn't see in this thread is the 5-60 acceleration figures of MT versions of both the cars. If I remember correctly, those figures confirm the G37 has less guts than the TL at lower rpms. Per C&D 5-60 is 5.8 sec for TL 6MT, where it takes 6.3 in the G37. However, (and I think this explains poorer highway fuel economy of the G37), the G37 6MT 50-70 acceleration time in top gear is a second quicker than the TL (that definitely is something you'd notice as "more power", when it is really gearing that runs the engine closer to it's power peak in top gear).
Old 12-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by draph
Having been in my 2010 TL 6MT for more than 20 months after leasing a 2007 335 6MT, I can honestly say the brake and steering feel of the Acura that gets negative reviews are entirely short term, (if not short-sighted) subjectivity of reviewers who only get to spend a short time with the respective cars. I no longer believe it has much to do with true performance, driveability, or longer term driving enjoyment. Now that I'm over the "Teutonic, Ultimate Driving Machine feel" to which I was accustomed with the BMW, I feel I can modulate the brakes on the TL as well as I could with the BMW, I feel I can place the car in an aggressive cornering situation as well as the BMW, and I can release the clutch as smoothly as I could in the BMW. However, when I first bought the TL, I thought the lighter steering, mushier feeling brakes, and different clutch feel were all huge trade-offs I had to accept in return for more space, better reliability, and lower ownership costs of the TL. My psychology involving what is supposed to be the benchmark feel for driving interfaces (clutch, steering, brakes) of a performance sedan is now a little less influenced by the opinion leaders in the automotive media. Maybe a BMW is a better car from the standpoint that an automotive journalist can jump in and feel like he's driving like a pro from the start vs. the driving characteristics of any other car that may require acclimation in a few months of ownership. Granted, I'm talking about driving interfaces, not so much quality of the dash and leather (ie, I'm not trying to make an argument the TL is more luxurious than the Germans).

Does this mean I may be drinking Acura TL Kool-Aid, now? You bet, just like I was when I got sucked in to the Ultimate Driving Machine Kool-Aid - the only difference is I had to sell myself on the Acura over weeks of ownership, where one BMW or Audi test drive combined with a supportive media does it for them in a much shorter period of time.
I agree with most of what you say.....consider that a lot of people on forums that prays the qualities of the BMW never actually owned one or not even driven one. By all the objective "dry" performance numbers, the TL SH-AWD is an impressive performer (handling, braking, acceleration especially on the 6MT) in its size and class, on par with anything the land of sauerkraut has to offer (at higher price). All the rest is just conversation, personal feel (or prejudice) and opinions.

I disagree in part on your luxurious comment...the TL is and feels definitely more luxurious than a 3 Series, hands down.....I actually like the interiors better than the 5 Series (which I cross shopped, I own a 2010 Tl 6 speed also)

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-11-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts

Nobody is "anti S4" on these boards...just that the vast majority of us doesn't think it's worth the extra coin compared to a TL SH-AWD and performance tests seems to confirm that....if we really thought that the S4 was the better car, we (TL SH-AWD owners) would have picked the Audi....is not like that if you can afford the TL you cannot get the Audi.....
Personaly, i find the A4/S4 more boring and ordinary to look at and I do not like the thin padded seats. The worst average reliability of Audi is the icing on the cake (in a negative way).
To each its own......personal preference...just do not fool yourself into believing that the S4 is an all around better car compared to the TL because it isn't.....it just suits your needs and taste better....I know that many S4 owners "need" feel that way because of the extra money they fork but, sorry, it isn't the case...you guys are the ones that have to get over it....
Old 12-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
This is actually kind of funny.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:47 PM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
I also have been divided between a used Infiniti G37 6 speed sport and the 3rd gen Acura TL - type S 6 speed M/T. I read this whole thread and feel like many on here. I couldn't decide between the two. Both are really nice cars. I test drove the G two times and really liked it. I finally test drove the Acura TL type S today (thinking I will surely get the G) and liked it even more than the Infiniti!! I was suprised , but I love the Acura TL type S 3rd generation (2008). I love the look and the interior , and the way it drove (the engine/transmission). It was a really nice vehicle. It is also A-SPEC so it has acura stock body kit/sport suspension. It is really a nice looking vehicle, and I have finally made up my mind and will be getting a TL- type S instead of the G. No negative comments , the G is very nice, I just like the Acura a bit more and I am coming from a tuned, modified Honda Civic Si 6 speed M/T.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by stealthcivic
I also have been divided between a used Infiniti G37 6 speed sport and the 3rd gen Acura TL - type S 6 speed M/T. I read this whole thread and feel like many on here. I couldn't decide between the two. Both are really nice cars. I test drove the G two times and really liked it. I finally test drove the Acura TL type S today (thinking I will surely get the G) and liked it even more than the Infiniti!! I was suprised , but I love the Acura TL type S 3rd generation (2008). I love the look and the interior , and the way it drove (the engine/transmission). It was a really nice vehicle. It is also A-SPEC so it has acura stock body kit/sport suspension. It is really a nice looking vehicle, and I have finally made up my mind and will be getting a TL- type S instead of the G. No negative comments , the G is very nice, I just like the Acura a bit more and I am coming from a tuned, modified Honda Civic Si 6 speed M/T.
They are both great cars but Honda make better (smoother and more refied) manual transmission than Nissan. Nissan MTs tend to give you more mechanical feel, are clunky and noisy but still very good. For the current MT, there is a problem with the CSC (slave cylinder) which tend to fail after about 30K miles due to weak material used. There are much better aftermarket options though.

However, the G gives you RWD and raw power that the TL will never match. It's down to what you look for in a car.

I have owned Infiniti products and still own a 370z 6MT so I am familiar with them.
The following 2 users liked this post by hadokenuh:
Acura_Dude (07-21-2013), StealthTL-S (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Depending on length of ownership there are 2 difference thoughts. Aside form everything else Infiniti resale values tend to suck, Acura resale values tend to be far better. Then there is reliability. Many people will show JD Powers numbers, but those are usually the initial 90 period, if you look at their long time (3 years) numbers Acura far exceeds Infiniti. Of course the issue with that is those 3 year numbers are based on 2010 models. As an Infiniti M37 owners I can say my car has been almost flawless over 37 months and 44K miles, but will say I can feel some of the cost cutting in build feel. My 09 AWD TL was built far more solid than my M37.
The following 3 users liked this post by KeithL:
Acura_Dude (07-21-2013), SSFTSX (07-21-2013), StealthTL-S (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Bottom line is this is a very old thread & both cars are going away. Be interesting to see how the next round goes.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KeithL
Depending on length of ownership there are 2 difference thoughts. Aside form everything else Infiniti resale values tend to suck, Acura resale values tend to be far better. Then there is reliability. Many people will show JD Powers numbers, but those are usually the initial 90 period, if you look at their long time (3 years) numbers Acura far exceeds Infiniti. Of course the issue with that is those 3 year numbers are based on 2010 models. As an Infiniti M37 owners I can say my car has been almost flawless over 37 months and 44K miles, but will say I can feel some of the cost cutting in build feel. My 09 AWD TL was built far more solid than my M37.
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Bottom line is this is a very old thread & both cars are going away. Be interesting to see how the next round goes.
I think it depends on what information source you value. For example, CR crowned the G the best sports sedan. Those who take no stock in CR, will glibly ignore this. JD Power may crown the TL the reliability winner. Those who take no stock in JD or may have other experiences will glibly ignore this.

Of course this is all so much bally-hoo, because the real winner to this questions occurs in the finance office when the papers are signed.

It's like which flavor is better, vanilla or chocolate.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
There is big difference between Acura and other brands. Acura vehicles you can hit curbs and pot holes and still its alignment wont go off balanced. I do alignments every 6 months and see how much suspension is off. even worst case when rear completely rolled over the curb. there was not slightest degrees off. and on my drive way you simply cant go straight always on side and that for past 5 years.
Alignments and tires cost you have to consider in cost of owenership. Alignments at BMW dealer costs $200 or more.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...port_update_7/
Old 07-21-2013, 02:03 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
I like vanilla.

But in all seriousness. They are are great cars and maybe one day I'll be able to pick up an Infiniti and a cool Acura. Both cater to different demographics from what I can see. It's up to the buyer to figure out what he/she is looking for in a car. I'm personally an Acura fan hands down, but I'm also a big fan of imports (Japanese manufacturers).
Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I see this thread has been revived after 1.5 years but I too cross shopped a G35/G37 twice against the TL.

2007 I test drove the G35 and 2007 TL. The TL was roomier, smoother ride, and quieter engine and had better fuel economy at the time. I think the G was something like 17/24mpg and TL 18/26mpg.
2011 my 07 TL was totaled. Again I cross shopped a CPO 2008 TL against a beautiful black on black CPO 2011 G37. and again, the inside noise levels of the G37 were louder than the TL both at cruising speed and wide open throttle. For the 2nd time I went with another Acura TL. Coincidentally, I test drove a CPO 2010 BMW 528xi right after the G37 and it was like night and day. The BMW by far was the smoothest and quietest ride out of both G37 and TL with the TL coming in 2nd place.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Yep, so who dug this dinosaur up and why?

EDiT: Nevermind, looks like google Noob is compairing G and "3rd gen Acura TL - type S 6 speed M/T."

Last edited by Mr Marco; 07-22-2013 at 09:57 AM.