Notices

TL Takata Airbag Recall

 
Old 09-16-2016, 12:04 PM
  #881  
Registered Member
 
sockpuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alberta, CANADA
Posts: 827
Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by LostProphet View Post
I don't agree with your comment, it lacks on actual information. The airbags are not defective, the INFLATORS are. It is not Acura/Honda's fault but they have to stand behind their products and provide with an alternate way of transportation if the vehicle is unsafe to drive. It is a shame that Acura/Honda knew about the problem for many years and waited for over 10 people to die and more of getting injured to take real action and release the recall, this is a FACT.

It is true that the chances of getting in an accident are low, you can be the best driver but you do not know about other drivers so the chance is still there. I am glad you are safe and you like the car so much that you bought it, but I will never put myself or my family in danger riding on a vehicle that can kill us. I think that is being smart and not stupid.
So I take it, then, that you'll never drive again, as you and your family are in danger any time you're in a vehicle. Look at the numbers; many people will die today in accidents on highways in the US. How many will die due to an airbag failure (sorry..."inflator" failure...you corrected Cygnus, though honestly, that didn't offer much to the conversation. This is the "airbag" recall thread, after all)? I ask the question to make a point; a point that is missed by too many. The issue is not as simple as "the inflator represents a danger". Admittedly, it does. The real issue...the one that should be considered when trying to determine whether to park until the recall is performed, is how much does the probability of injury increase due to the inflator defect? Given the much higher probability of being injured in a "run of the mill" car crash, I'd suggest the increased probability is negligible. Yes, we're at the mercy of other drivers, no matter how careful we are, but there's a greater likelihood of getting hurt or killed through a collision that a properly functioning inflator couldn't have prevented anyway.

You're driving a 2012. What's the probability of your increased risk. All the evidence thus far would suggest zero.

You claim that Honda /Acura "waited" until 10 people died before doing something. I've addressed this previously...I don't believe for a moment that you actually believe they should have instigated a recall at the first sign of trouble. If you do believe that, then you clearly understand neither the scope and cost of a recall, or the commercial reality of instigating and administering one. Until a "pattern" develops, no manufacturer starts a recall. Until a solution is available, no manufacturer starts a recall. Once a pattern emerged and a feasible solution developed, Honda started a recall. If you've got a better way, please let Honda know: 1 (888) 946-6329
sockpuppet is offline  
Old 09-16-2016, 05:39 PM
  #882  
Registered Member
 
SilverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,919
Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet View Post
So I take it, then, that you'll never drive again, as you and your family are in danger any time you're in a vehicle. Look at the numbers; many people will die today in accidents on highways in the US. How many will die due to an airbag failure (sorry..."inflator" failure...you corrected Cygnus, though honestly, that didn't offer much to the conversation. This is the "airbag" recall thread, after all)? I ask the question to make a point; a point that is missed by too many. The issue is not as simple as "the inflator represents a danger". Admittedly, it does. The real issue...the one that should be considered when trying to determine whether to park until the recall is performed, is how much does the probability of injury increase due to the inflator defect? Given the much higher probability of being injured in a "run of the mill" car crash, I'd suggest the increased probability is negligible. Yes, we're at the mercy of other drivers, no matter how careful we are, but there's a greater likelihood of getting hurt or killed through a collision that a properly functioning inflator couldn't have prevented anyway.

You're driving a 2012. What's the probability of your increased risk. All the evidence thus far would suggest zero.

You claim that Honda /Acura "waited" until 10 people died before doing something. I've addressed this previously...I don't believe for a moment that you actually believe they should have instigated a recall at the first sign of trouble. If you do believe that, then you clearly understand neither the scope and cost of a recall, or the commercial reality of instigating and administering one. Until a "pattern" develops, no manufacturer starts a recall. Until a solution is available, no manufacturer starts a recall. Once a pattern emerged and a feasible solution developed, Honda started a recall. If you've got a better way, please let Honda know: 1 (888) 946-6329
Your not figuring in the 100's of accidents that occurred as a result of the inflators. Honda was negligent here. They have known about this issue for YEARS (I know becaue I have been getting recall letters on an old CRV I had for YEARS) and still chose to put the faulty inflators in their cars as recently as this year. That is FACT.
It is the reason they have lost over 4 BILLION dollars on this issue. Your choice to play the percentages, personally, if anyone ever got injured in my car because of a known issue that I chose to ignore, I wouldn't be able to
live with myself.
SilverJ is offline  
Old 09-16-2016, 07:45 PM
  #883  
Registered Member
 
LostProphet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 157
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet View Post
So I take it, then, that you'll never drive again, as you and your family are in danger any time you're in a vehicle. Look at the numbers; many people will die today in accidents on highways in the US. How many will die due to an airbag failure (sorry..."inflator" failure...you corrected Cygnus, though honestly, that didn't offer much to the conversation. This is the "airbag" recall thread, after all)? I ask the question to make a point; a point that is missed by too many. The issue is not as simple as "the inflator represents a danger". Admittedly, it does. The real issue...the one that should be considered when trying to determine whether to park until the recall is performed, is how much does the probability of injury increase due to the inflator defect? Given the much higher probability of being injured in a "run of the mill" car crash, I'd suggest the increased probability is negligible. Yes, we're at the mercy of other drivers, no matter how careful we are, but there's a greater likelihood of getting hurt or killed through a collision that a properly functioning inflator couldn't have prevented anyway.

You're driving a 2012. What's the probability of your increased risk. All the evidence thus far would suggest zero.

You claim that Honda /Acura "waited" until 10 people died before doing something. I've addressed this previously...I don't believe for a moment that you actually believe they should have instigated a recall at the first sign of trouble. If you do believe that, then you clearly understand neither the scope and cost of a recall, or the commercial reality of instigating and administering one. Until a "pattern" develops, no manufacturer starts a recall. Until a solution is available, no manufacturer starts a recall. Once a pattern emerged and a feasible solution developed, Honda started a recall. If you've got a better way, please let Honda know: 1 (888) 946-6329
I thought airbags were designed and implemented in vehicles to save lives... but if you read and do some research you will see how they deployed abnormally even in a minor collision, killing and injuring driver and/or passengers. If you know about this issue, will you still put yourself/family/friends to play the russian roulette? Even if the chances are minimal, they are still there. Why do you think Honda/Acura are giving loaners/rentals?... To avoid liability. And if you decide to drive you vehicle knowing about the recall, they make you sign a nice waiver... "you were told not to drive and you took your chances, if something happens to you or any occupant of the vehicle, it is all on you, we did our part"... And BTW, I think something this sensible like an abnormal airbag deployment should be investigated right away, if a pattern develops take immediate action to prevent something bigger. But we all know everything with this corporations is about MONEY, they are better off indemnifying a few families than releasing a massive recall. $$$
LostProphet is offline  
Old 09-16-2016, 08:35 PM
  #884  
Registered Member
 
sockpuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alberta, CANADA
Posts: 827
Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ View Post
Your not figuring in the 100's of accidents that occurred as a result of the inflators.
Source?

Originally Posted by SilverJ View Post
Honda was negligent here.
This is an opinion. You know what they're worth.

Originally Posted by SilverJ View Post
They have known about this issue for YEARS (I know becaue I have been getting recall letters on an old CRV I had for YEARS) and still chose to put the faulty inflators in their cars as recently as this year. That is FACT.
It is the reason they have lost over 4 BILLION dollars on this issue.
Sorry. This is untrue. Firstly. whatever airbag recall you may have received for a CR-V is not the recall for current vehicles. Pretending that they are is misleading. Secondly, the current recall (involving defective propellant) does not go as far back as you suggest (though "YEARS"...in all caps. is strictly speaking "true", it is, again, misleading.) Taken from this article: "Initially, only six makes were involved when Takata announced the fault in April 2013,..."
As for your CR-V, I don't know what year you have, but the earliest model to have an (not "the"..."an") airbag recall was 1997. That was announced May 27, 2015. Other recalls were later. I'm not certain who is sending you this "mail"; you may want to look into that. Spelling "FACT" in all caps doesn't make it true...certainly doesn't make it a fact.

Originally Posted by SilverJ View Post
Your choice to play the percentages, personally, if anyone ever got injured in my car because of a known issue that I chose to ignore, I wouldn't be able to
live with myself.
Life is playing the percentages.
sockpuppet is offline  
Old 09-17-2016, 11:28 PM
  #885  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 955
Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
@sockpuppet: I don't know why you are saying what you are saying but I want to ask you a question (to make a point): If you chose to drive the car with a defective inflator and got hurt (or worse) by it in a minor accident, will you (or your family) or will you not sue Acura/Honda?

Think about the question and be honest.
hadokenuh is offline  
Old 09-18-2016, 06:59 PM
  #886  
Registered Member
 
sockpuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alberta, CANADA
Posts: 827
Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh View Post
@sockpuppet: I don't know why you are saying what you are saying but I want to ask you a question (to make a point): If you chose to drive the car with a defective inflator and got hurt (or worse) by it in a minor accident, will you (or your family) or will you not sue Acura/Honda?

Think about the question and be honest.
Undoubtedly. More to the point, I'd also sue Takata, against whom I'd have a much better chance of recovering (I'm not going to take the time to explain what this means; suffice it to say that "something going wrong" does not automatically equal "negligence"...more on this in a moment). I'm not preparing myself for such a lawsuit, because the odds of it ever happening are so minuscule, so as to be unworthy of further thought. I've got a better chance of getting t-boned in an intersection by some kid with a cell phone. Where is the 23 page thread for that?

But that's not the point. You want to know "why I'm saying what I'm saying"? Because fear-mongering doesn't help anyone or anything. There's a recall in place, and everyone (I'll even go so far as you and put it in bold) everyone here knows about it. Harping on the dangers (as remote as they may be) doesn't really seem to serve a purpose. But, this is a discussion forum, so I certainly wouldn't try and stop such discussion. But I draw the line when false "facts" are presented. The casual observer reading this thread might well imagine that every airbag in every Acura is a ticking time bomb; but that's simply not the case. Notwithstanding this, the thread is full of people who are parking their cars for fear that the airbag will "go off". But again, there's a far greater chance of getting taken out by a drunk or texter; irrespective of any airbag issue.

Moreover, the thread is full of armchair experts, upon whom we are expected to rely in determining that "Acura is clearly negligent". These experts claim that the recall should have been called at the first hint of trouble, that the cause and remedy should have been determined 5 minutes later, and that the supply chain to process the recall should have been in motion such that every vehicle was addressed within a few weeks. But that's unrealistic. Ludicrously unrealistic. Most of these "experts" couldn't even define negligence, but we are to take their word. But I'll let you in on a secret; anyone who tells you that Acura was clearly negligent, doesn't actually understand what that means. Anyone who does understand what "negligence" means...how it's defined and determined... will tell you the same thing.

That, hedokenuh, is why I'm saying what I'm saying.
sockpuppet is offline  
Old 09-18-2016, 08:13 PM
  #887  
Registered Member
 
the_razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 208
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It took a while for mine to get replaced but I found out Acura Canada expedited the work when I had a rental for 20 days. During this time I had 16 TLX which was too small to fit two child car seats and then had 16 RDX. The TLX felt like a downgrade from my 2010 TL in terms of interior quality.
the_razor is offline  
Old 09-18-2016, 10:39 PM
  #888  
Registered Member
 
LostProphet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 157
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I can't believe such a big problem-recall can be seen so simple and careless. Maybe because of this: "...David Kelly, leader of the ITC and former chief of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said it was the combination of these three factors -- the use of ammonium nitrate, the construction of Takata’s inflator assembly and the exposure to heat and humidity -- that made the inflators vulnerable to rupture...". There are many US states with high heat and humidity, not so many in Canada.
To all owners of a recalled car, please follow the recommendations, park your car and don't take your chances, lives are more important than vehicles, we all have families and someones waiting for us to come back home, maybe not everybody. Also, please use your computer/phones/tables to do some research, they all have web browsers just type in whatever you want to find out more about and you will find tons of information from many different sources, most of them highly reputable. Just a few:
Takata Airbag Inflator Recall Fact Sheet | Honda Airbag Info
Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
Honda Recalls 4.5 Million Vehicles in Expanded Takata Airbag Recall | Edmunds.com
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...uide.html?_r=0
https://www.google.com/?client=safar...hannel=ipad_bm
And the list goes on and on. Btw this are very true facts, not false.

Also, anyone can have an accident anytime anywhere, and luckily this fellow member had his airbag inflator replaced just some days before he got in a wreck. Thanks God like he said, he had the work done...https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...otaled-949310/
But in the end you decide what to do and how to handle the situation, but don't tell people to take it easy and make it seem like it is not a biggie, give them actual information. It will be sad to see more names on the list of victims. Good luck to you.
LostProphet is offline  
Old 09-19-2016, 01:23 PM
  #889  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
TheMuffinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 935
Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts
Thought I posted in here already but don't see it - my airbag is being replaced tomorrow.
TheMuffinMan is offline  
Old 09-19-2016, 01:33 PM
  #890  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
TheMuffinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 935
Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet View Post
Undoubtedly. More to the point, I'd also sue Takata, against whom I'd have a much better chance of recovering (I'm not going to take the time to explain what this means; suffice it to say that "something going wrong" does not automatically equal "negligence"...more on this in a moment). I'm not preparing myself for such a lawsuit, because the odds of it ever happening are so minuscule, so as to be unworthy of further thought. I've got a better chance of getting t-boned in an intersection by some kid with a cell phone. Where is the 23 page thread for that?

But that's not the point. You want to know "why I'm saying what I'm saying"? Because fear-mongering doesn't help anyone or anything. There's a recall in place, and everyone (I'll even go so far as you and put it in bold) everyone here knows about it. Harping on the dangers (as remote as they may be) doesn't really seem to serve a purpose. But, this is a discussion forum, so I certainly wouldn't try and stop such discussion. But I draw the line when false "facts" are presented. The casual observer reading this thread might well imagine that every airbag in every Acura is a ticking time bomb; but that's simply not the case. Notwithstanding this, the thread is full of people who are parking their cars for fear that the airbag will "go off". But again, there's a far greater chance of getting taken out by a drunk or texter; irrespective of any airbag issue.

Moreover, the thread is full of armchair experts, upon whom we are expected to rely in determining that "Acura is clearly negligent". These experts claim that the recall should have been called at the first hint of trouble, that the cause and remedy should have been determined 5 minutes later, and that the supply chain to process the recall should have been in motion such that every vehicle was addressed within a few weeks. But that's unrealistic. Ludicrously unrealistic. Most of these "experts" couldn't even define negligence, but we are to take their word. But I'll let you in on a secret; anyone who tells you that Acura was clearly negligent, doesn't actually understand what that means. Anyone who does understand what "negligence" means...how it's defined and determined... will tell you the same thing.

That, hedokenuh, is why I'm saying what I'm saying.
You're driving a car knowing there's a potential for airbag failure (possible death), have the option for a rental vehicle (covered by Acura), and have requested a replacement part already (as part of the recall) yet you're still willingly driving the car (no one is forcing you) and intend to sue (should an incident occur?)

Not sure I really agree with you on that...
TheMuffinMan is offline  
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (09-20-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 03:13 PM
  #891  
Registered Member
 
sockpuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alberta, CANADA
Posts: 827
Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
You're driving a car knowing there's a potential for airbag failure (possible death), have the option for a rental vehicle (covered by Acura), and have requested a replacement part already (as part of the recall) yet you're still willingly driving the car (no one is forcing you) and intend to sue (should an incident occur?)

Not sure I really agree with you on that...
Every vehicle with an airbag has the potential for airbag failure. Every vehicle with brakes has the potential for brake failure. I could go on. What you intended to convey, I suspect, is that because there is a known issue, there is an increased probability of a failure. That would be more correct. It also allows for recognition that although the probability is increased, it is still incredibly small.

I've spoken with my dealer about the recall. They've not offered a loaner/rental, but then I've not fought them on this; again, the increased probability is incredibly small.

But you're certainly welcome to disagree with me, in the same way I'll continue to disagree with the fear-mongering; after all, it's our differences which make us beautiful.
sockpuppet is offline  
Old 09-19-2016, 05:52 PM
  #892  
Registered Member
 
SilverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,919
Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet View Post
Source?

This is an opinion. You know what they're worth.

Sorry. This is untrue. Firstly. whatever airbag recall you may have received for a CR-V is not the recall for current vehicles. Pretending that they are is misleading. Secondly, the current recall (involving defective propellant) does not go as far back as you suggest (though "YEARS"...in all caps. is strictly speaking "true", it is, again, misleading.) Taken from this article: "Initially, only six makes were involved when Takata announced the fault in April 2013,..."
As for your CR-V, I don't know what year you have, but the earliest model to have an (not "the"..."an") airbag recall was 1997. That was announced May 27, 2015. Other recalls were later. I'm not certain who is sending you this "mail"; you may want to look into that. Spelling "FACT" in all caps doesn't make it true...certainly doesn't make it a fact.



Your wrong.
Honda, Takata knew about air-bag flaws before their recall - Business Insider
Do some research. Come back informed. Honda isnt losing 4 billion on this because there's a reallllyyyy miniscule chance of something happening.
The recall going on now is tip of the ice berg. But ignorance is bliss, so happy motoring I guess.


Life is playing the percentages.
Your wrong.
Honda, Takata knew about air-bag flaws before their recall - Business Insider
Do some research, come back informed. The recall on my CRV is absolutely for the airbag inflator issue, the truck was a 2002 I believe. The last one I got pretty much strongly recommended I take it off the road to avoid a possible fatality.
You can keep your head in the sand on this if you like, ignorance is bliss.

SilverJ is offline  
Old 09-20-2016, 09:14 AM
  #893  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
TheMuffinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 935
Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet View Post
Every vehicle with an airbag has the potential for airbag failure. Every vehicle with brakes has the potential for brake failure. I could go on. What you intended to convey, I suspect, is that because there is a known issue, there is an increased probability of a failure. That would be more correct. It also allows for recognition that although the probability is increased, it is still incredibly small.

I've spoken with my dealer about the recall. They've not offered a loaner/rental, but then I've not fought them on this; again, the increased probability is incredibly small.

But you're certainly welcome to disagree with me, in the same way I'll continue to disagree with the fear-mongering; after all, it's our differences which make us beautiful.
Obviously every component on every car has a possibility of failure resulting in injury/death - and you are correct but I'm not sure how that wasn't clear from my post. I just don't agree with your statement of filing a suit for something you acknowledge has an issue and choose to continue using it.

Much like the Note 7 recall right now. It's all over the news, everyone with a Note7 is aware of the issue. Should you choose to continue using the phone rather than participate in the recall I don't believe you should be suing - that screams "I'm looking for an excuse to get free money" which is how I feel about your statement. You are accepting increased risk by driving the vehicle.

The Honda dealership provided my family two rental vehicles for the CRV's we had affected (sister's and mom's) and Acura offered me one after I asked about it (I declined though). I don't think there's been any fear-mongering or FUD from me? There's absolutely an increased risk from affected airbags which is why there's a recall, otherwise there wouldn't be a recall.


ALSO had my car serviced/fixed today - done in 30 minutes. I still hate the dealership (Crown Acura) but the technician I had today did a good job. They did try to pull a "you have an airbag message, need a state inspection, and we can do a diagnostic if you want" to get some cash for service but I'm not having any of that.
TheMuffinMan is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by TheMuffinMan:
hadokenuh (09-20-2016), JT4 (09-21-2016), SilverJ (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 04:45 PM
  #894  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 955
Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
@TheMuffinMan - Thank you for elaborating my point.

@sockpuppet - You are writing a bunch of words but your whole thinking is funny, and contradicting. You keep using the word "probability". If you want to talk numbers, can you give us all the probabilities of brake failure, airbag failure, airbag failure with Takata inflator, How small is small? And what's the increased probability?

I am from Fortbend County, Texas. I read about the girl in the accident. You should see some pictures of the accident.
hadokenuh is offline  
Old 09-21-2016, 07:44 AM
  #895  
JT4
CTSV,Audi Q7&Allroad,TL
 
JT4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC / LI
Age: 53
Posts: 2,079
Received 594 Likes on 450 Posts
As I said many times in this thread, although I honestly felt there was a very small chance of something happening, there was no way I would be able to live with myself had something happened.

My middle son drives the TL more than me at this point and there was NO chance in hell I was playing "percentages" with his life or that of any family or friends when I knew full well what could happen.

So again, even though there was a small chance of something happening, I decided to park the TL at home for 3 months and use a rental to play it safe.

If anyone wants to say that I am one of the people being dramatic or I am spreading fear so be it, I could care less what people think. And if these same people want to continue to drive their vehicles until their inflators are replaced that's their choice. However, IMO if these same people continue to put passengers in harms way (even if only a small chance of something happening) well then shame on them.

.

Last edited by JT4; 09-21-2016 at 07:52 AM.
JT4 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
beatsme (05-02-2018)
Old 09-27-2016, 04:37 PM
  #896  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After 4 months in a Town and Country my wife wants a minivan...argh.. It was so nice to drive my 6MT again!
chidoc79 is offline  
Old 10-22-2016, 08:42 AM
  #897  
Forum Contributor
 
EE4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago NW Burbs
Age: 42
Posts: 1,121
Likes: 0
Received 1,119 Likes on 483 Posts
Takata Airbag Inflator Recall Update 10/21/16
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...mxt/embed/auto
EE4Life is online now  
The following 2 users liked this post by EE4Life:
crxb (10-24-2016), JT4 (10-24-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 01:04 AM
  #898  
4G TL-Elilte, 3G MDX
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Richmond,B.C.,Canada
Posts: 9,157
Received 661 Likes on 525 Posts
When one thought that the entire airbag inflator drama is over with the driver side airbag recall done, suddenly there's still the passenger side airbags that need to be replaced.
Edward'TLS is offline  
Old 10-24-2016, 01:32 PM
  #899  
JT4
CTSV,Audi Q7&Allroad,TL
 
JT4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC / LI
Age: 53
Posts: 2,079
Received 594 Likes on 450 Posts
The never ending story....
JT4 is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 05:20 PM
  #900  
Clueless
 
frank b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got mine installed today. Only took a year!
frank b is offline  
Old 10-28-2016, 09:33 AM
  #901  
Registered Member
 
aleo12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
At dealer now getting mine installed, Toronto Canada!
aleo12 is offline  
Old 10-29-2016, 12:35 AM
  #902  
Registered Member
 
SilverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,919
Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS View Post
When one thought that the entire airbag inflator drama is over with the driver side airbag recall done, suddenly there's still the passenger side airbags that need to be replaced.
Yep. Been saying this all along. And after that will be the other airbags.
SilverJ is offline  
Old 10-29-2016, 08:21 PM
  #903  
Registered Member
 
JM2010 SH-AWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,098
Received 355 Likes on 241 Posts
Just had mine done when the car was in for an oil change. I guess now we'll wait for the passenger side/side airbag recall notices.
JM2010 SH-AWD is offline  
Old 10-30-2016, 07:48 AM
  #904  
Registered Member
 
SilverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,919
Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts
just curious..

Do all of you have other people ride in your passenger seats ? I have not, knowing that the recall of the passenger side airbags is coming. I would not be able to live with myself if I got into an accident and my passenger was fatally injured as a result of this.
SilverJ is offline  
Old 10-31-2016, 10:31 PM
  #905  
Senior Moderator
 
csmeance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Daytona Beach/Gainesville FL
Posts: 18,352
Received 1,052 Likes on 736 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ View Post
Do all of you have other people ride in your passenger seats ? I have not, knowing that the recall of the passenger side airbags is coming. I would not be able to live with myself if I got into an accident and my passenger was fatally injured as a result of this.
I'd imagine that the passenger airbag has less of a chance of shrapnel as it opens up and towards the passenger compared straight towards the driver like the steering airbag!
csmeance is offline  
Old 11-01-2016, 02:00 AM
  #906  
4G TL-Elilte, 3G MDX
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Richmond,B.C.,Canada
Posts: 9,157
Received 661 Likes on 525 Posts
Is there any stats on passengers being wounded or killed by passenger-side airbags or by side airbags ?

All I hear are only drivers getting fatally injured by the driver-side airbags.
Edward'TLS is offline  
Old 11-01-2016, 02:06 AM
  #907  
Registered Member
 
CruzanTLSH-AWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Age: 34
Posts: 611
Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life View Post
Takata Airbag Inflator Recall Update 10/21/16
20161021_BRUCE_AIRBAG_10-19-16v2_768Kbps_360p
lol you serious? wow well I guess the Jeep Grand Cherokee ain't going no where.
CruzanTLSH-AWD is offline  
Old 11-01-2016, 05:40 PM
  #908  
'09 TL SH AWD Tech
 
Tonyware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,632
Received 340 Likes on 248 Posts
I received a letter a while back informing me of the recall and that they'll touch base with me when the parts are available. That was March 2016 I believe. Now it is November and no calls, no letters, no nothing. They said the airbag inflator part will be available in Autumn 2016. Well, technically speaking they still have another week or two before winter arrives. Cause for concern for us up here in Canada who haven't received any news yet ? (unless the dealership is expecting me to go for an oil change or something? yeah, like thats gonna happen LOL).
Tonyware is offline  
Old 11-01-2016, 05:52 PM
  #909  
4G TL-Elilte, 3G MDX
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Richmond,B.C.,Canada
Posts: 9,157
Received 661 Likes on 525 Posts
I just checked last week with the dealership

The replacement airbags, for the 4G TL, still haven't come in.
Edward'TLS is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Tonyware (11-02-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 07:14 PM
  #910  
Registered Member
 
estabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NoVA
Posts: 154
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I definitely haven't read the last 909 posts in this thread, but here is my update.

I have been on the replacement list since early this summer. Every time I called the dealer they said they didn't have the part and to check back later. I happened to be in the area and needed to get the toque converter recall done, so I dropped by. They had the part and put it in.

If you are also waiting on a "list", try dropping by in person and maybe you'll be lucky.
estabro is offline  
Old 11-02-2016, 07:29 AM
  #911  
Registered Member
 
SilverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,919
Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts
couple things for all the people who think this is "no big deal"

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD View Post
lol you serious? wow well I guess the Jeep Grand Cherokee ain't going no where.
If you watch the video, he states there are 10 people who were killed, over 150 more injured, and that additional recalls will be
coming for the passenger and side airbags. It looks like those recalls will be all the way up to 2019.
As much as I love my TL, I will most likely get rid of it prior to 2019. At this point the only one who rides in the front seat is me.
I know Honda is doing all they can here (but didn't always, which is why we are here. ), but as they are finding out, it's very difficult to put the toothpaste back into the tube.
SilverJ is offline  
Old 11-03-2016, 12:48 AM
  #912  
Registered Member
 
CruzanTLSH-AWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Age: 34
Posts: 611
Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ View Post
If you watch the video, he states there are 10 people who were killed, over 150 more injured, and that additional recalls will be
coming for the passenger and side airbags. It looks like those recalls will be all the way up to 2019.
As much as I love my TL, I will most likely get rid of it prior to 2019. At this point the only one who rides in the front seat is me.
I know Honda is doing all they can here (but didn't always, which is why we are here. ), but as they are finding out, it's very difficult to put the toothpaste back into the tube.
How funny is this.. I made this post and then I got the phone call today the part is in. This is about a two month wait period. Now I did ask about the passenger side airbags and Honda North America respond with my Vin saying no. But watching that Video they said December 2016-2019 is when I guess more listings will come out. Car going for a detail and get the airbag swap out and then park up for the winter so until then. The saga continues.
CruzanTLSH-AWD is offline  
Old 11-03-2016, 01:57 PM
  #913  
Registered Member
 
'99-6SIC6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NoVa
Age: 36
Posts: 194
Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
I would suggest to everyone who hasn't gotten an update as to if their inflators are available to just go to the dealership when you've got time (or for normal maintenance, etc.) and inquire about the recall. 9 times out of 10, they will use what inflators they have in stock to complete your recall. I only say this because of the huge amount of inflators we still have sitting on our special order shelves from clients who have been contacted and scheduled to come in for the recall procedure that never bothered to do so. We literally have close to 100 inflators just sitting because of clients not coming in, even after they've been contacted...

I know these parts haven been ordered specifically for clients based on VIN and that much is true. However, I just want to bring it to everyone's attention that because of their availability now at dealers, they are being used to complete recalls in vehicles other than those they were ordered for. I'm not saying we're using inflators for anyone that needs them, the ones we use have been here for MONTHS and the clients have been notified multiple times. We always reorder any inflator that we use if that inflator isn't specifically for that particular client. It's difficult for me to think of any time recently that we've had to not perform the recall because we didn't have parts in stock. It's against our policy to have ANY vehicle leave our lot if there are open recalls on that vehicle. Just a heads up for anyone still waiting on their inflator to be available...

-greg

edit - I forgot to mention that while we do have many extra available inflators to use, we do keep a minimum threshold of 5 on hand for emergency situations. That means, if we get to only 5 inflators left in stock, we will only use them for the specific client they were ordered for. That goes for every inflator, regardless of model. The threshold used to be 10 but with so many inflators just sitting, we dropped it to 5. Take note, this protocol is for our dealership only and based on MY (Asst. Parts Mgr.) and the PARTS DIRECTOR'S instructions. Every dealer has their own specific rules/protocol.

Last edited by '99-6SIC6; 11-03-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Spelling, threshold levels
'99-6SIC6 is offline  
Old 11-04-2016, 02:59 PM
  #914  
Registered Member
 
estabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NoVA
Posts: 154
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by '99-6SIC6 View Post
I would suggest to everyone who hasn't gotten an update as to if their inflators are available to just go to the dealership when you've got time (or for normal maintenance, etc.) and inquire about the recall. 9 times out of 10, they will use what inflators they have in stock to complete your recall. I only say this because of the huge amount of inflators we still have sitting on our special order shelves from clients who have been contacted and scheduled to come in for the recall procedure that never bothered to do so. We literally have close to 100 inflators just sitting because of clients not coming in, even after they've been contacted...

I know these parts haven been ordered specifically for clients based on VIN and that much is true. However, I just want to bring it to everyone's attention that because of their availability now at dealers, they are being used to complete recalls in vehicles other than those they were ordered for. I'm not saying we're using inflators for anyone that needs them, the ones we use have been here for MONTHS and the clients have been notified multiple times. We always reorder any inflator that we use if that inflator isn't specifically for that particular client. It's difficult for me to think of any time recently that we've had to not perform the recall because we didn't have parts in stock. It's against our policy to have ANY vehicle leave our lot if there are open recalls on that vehicle. Just a heads up for anyone still waiting on their inflator to be available...

-greg

edit - I forgot to mention that while we do have many extra available inflators to use, we do keep a minimum threshold of 5 on hand for emergency situations. That means, if we get to only 5 inflators left in stock, we will only use them for the specific client they were ordered for. That goes for every inflator, regardless of model. The threshold used to be 10 but with so many inflators just sitting, we dropped it to 5. Take note, this protocol is for our dealership only and based on MY (Asst. Parts Mgr.) and the PARTS DIRECTOR'S instructions. Every dealer has their own specific rules/protocol.
^THIS sounds like exactly what happened when I showed up! On the phone it was the same story... but, in person they took care of it right away.
estabro is offline  
Old 11-06-2016, 05:38 PM
  #915  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Katy, TX (Houston suburb)
Posts: 199
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I think this (above) sounds like the best plan. I have an oil change due (time, not miles) plus now an intermittent problem with my AC not staying on ('12 TL but only 17k miles). I've been "on the list" for over a year now and every time I call they say they still don't have the parts.
Cap'n Preshoot is offline  
Old 11-12-2016, 08:37 AM
  #916  
Forum Contributor
 
EE4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago NW Burbs
Age: 42
Posts: 1,121
Likes: 0
Received 1,119 Likes on 483 Posts
Inflator Open Ordering & NHTSA Phase 2 11/11/2016
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...bqa/embed/auto
EE4Life is online now  
The following users liked this post:
crxb (11-13-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 12:52 PM
  #917  
Registered Member
 
SilverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,919
Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life View Post
Inflator Open Ordering & NHTSA Phase 2 11/11/2016
20161111_Inflator_Open_Ordering_and_NHTSA_Phase2_7 68Kbps_360p
What does "open ordering" mean exactly ? and how does it differ from earlier during the recall ?
SilverJ is offline  
Old 11-12-2016, 03:24 PM
  #918  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Reno, NV
Age: 68
Posts: 329
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life View Post
Inflator Open Ordering & NHTSA Phase 2 11/11/2016
20161111_Inflator_Open_Ordering_and_NHTSA_Phase2_7 68Kbps_360p
Thanks for posting these insider updates for all of us to see. It is always best to hear it directly from the source.
RenoTL is offline  
Old 12-08-2016, 07:02 AM
  #919  
Forum Contributor
 
EE4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago NW Burbs
Age: 42
Posts: 1,121
Likes: 0
Received 1,119 Likes on 483 Posts
Takata Airbag Inflator Recall Update 12/7/16
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...8z8/embed/auto
EE4Life is online now  
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 07:41 AM
  #920  
JT4
CTSV,Audi Q7&Allroad,TL
 
JT4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC / LI
Age: 53
Posts: 2,079
Received 594 Likes on 450 Posts
This recall just gets worse and worse...

Takata airbag recall could take until 2023 to complete.
by Chris Isidore @CNNMoneyDecember 9, 2016: 5:06 PM ET

Federal safety regulators said it could take until 2023 before all the vehicles with recalled Takata airbags to be fixed, a full 15 years after the first car was recalled.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration took steps Friday to speed up the recall of Takata airbags at danger of exploding. But the agency overseeing the recall says the limited availability of replacement parts means the final repairs are still seven years away.

When the airbags explode, they send shrapnel into the face of drivers and occupants of the car. The agency says there have been at least 11 deaths and 180 injuries in the United States tied to the problem. It took until 2014 before the widespread nature of the problem was known.

The last cars to have safe airbags installed will be those that have already been been fixed once. Some of the airbags inflators were replaced in the early years of the recall, before the cause of the explosions or a permanent fix was known. Because the airbags become more dangerous with age, it was determined that it was safer to replace older airbags even if the new equipment would ultimately need to be replaced again.

Senior NHTSA officials said Friday that the agency is shooting to eventually fix100% of the airbags that pose a risk of exploding. Most recalls are completed by only about 70% of affected car owners, even though the repair is done at no cost to the owner.

Related: Takata settles case of woman who died 2 years after her death

The steps taken by NHTSA Friday sets new deadlines for when replacement inflators must be available to address the airbags at the greatest risk of exploding, according to the agency.

"The amended order will speed up the availability of replacement air bags," said Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx.

Related: Stop driving these Hondas right now, says regulator

There are 29 million cars on U.S. roadswhich have already been recalled due to with faulty airbags, and only about a quarter of those airbags have been fixed so far. Part of the problem is that many car owners don't realize their car is included in the recall. There are 34 car brands affected by the recall. Car owners can check the agency's Web site to see if their vehicle is included.

But there are 13 million more U.S. cars that will need to be recalled in the future once parts are available, bringing the total number of cars needing repairs to 42 million in the United States alone, by far a record. And there are many different inflator models that will need to be produced to give automakers the replacement parts they need. This is both the largest and most complex recall in U.S. history, according to the agency.

Takata airbag recall could take until 2023 to complete. - Dec. 9, 2016

Last edited by JT4; 12-15-2016 at 07:50 AM.
JT4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.