TL Takata Airbag Recall

Old 05-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I guess I'll have my girlfriend sit in the back from now on lol....I did get my driver side inflator replaced on Monday , and it looks like they pried the cover off with a screwdriver . The plastic trim is all marred and scratched , and they put a nice grease hand print on my A pillar. I've had problems with this dealer before and it seems they are still not taking care of customers cars.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
brilliant, and i live in hot & cold and very humid georgia...my neighbors are going to love me driving my rental and race truck instead of my quiet acura for a few more months...or years
Old 05-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
here's the info on the new recalls:

NHTSA | Recalls Spotlight: Takata Air Bags Recalls

Name:  Screen%20Shot%202016-05-05%20at%209.04.41%20AM_zpspjpgauva.png
Views: 174
Size:  120.2 KB

So looks like I'll be getting this new, new recall sometime in 2018 on my 2013 TL. Great.

Last edited by lbotez; 05-05-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
some how I doubt a rental will be provided for anything other than the driver's airbag

if they add the passenger airbag later
Old 05-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by lbotez

So looks like I'll be getting this new, new recall sometime in 2018 on my 2013 TL. Great.
I guess its OK if the passenger dies from the airbag. After all, they didnt pay for the car. Thanks Honda !
Old 05-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wonderful. Looks like I'm in the same boat with my 2012...sometime in 2018.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a schedule appointment tomorrow morning to get this airbag fixed. I have a 2010 TL. Hopefully they throw in a free oil change or a pencil for the trouble. I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow.I will truly miss the rental.. Ford Focus!
Old 05-05-2016, 07:24 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So when they call (hopefully soon!) do I ask for them to tow my car to the dealer? Or is it something that they are doing?
Old 05-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by adia1030
So when they call (hopefully soon!) do I ask for them to tow my car to the dealer? Or is it something that they are doing?
your choice

the original paper work if you look back near the start of this thread

mine said I could drive the car home or they would tow it to my house

and then the reverse when the parts came in
Old 05-05-2016, 07:43 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by lbotez

This is the requirement from NHTSA. It doesn't mean that individual automakers won't replace the faulty airbags earlier than those set NHTSA deadlines.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PinotGrigio
I guess I'll have my girlfriend sit in the back from now on lol....I did get my driver side inflator replaced on Monday , and it looks like they pried the cover off with a screwdriver . The plastic trim is all marred and scratched , and they put a nice grease hand print on my A pillar. I've had problems with this dealer before and it seems they are still not taking care of customers cars.
Which Dealer is this?
Old 05-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
This is the requirement from NHTSA. It doesn't mean that individual automakers won't replace the faulty airbags earlier than those set NHTSA deadlines.
I would imagine the parts would not be available for the passenger side either as it's most likely a different part.
Has Honda confirmed that all airbags(in addition to the driver side) are affected in our cars ? If they haven't they should. I find it highly unlikely that we have one brand airbag inflator in the driver side and a different brand in the other airbags.
Interesting reading on this topic.
http://www.labaton.com/en/cases/uplo...-Complaint.pdf

If you read part 33, you can see Senate strongly suggested for rental cars to be supplied to affected consumers. Every dealer I have spoken to made it seem just like a good will gesture.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
I was wondering about the passenger's side airbag. It is Takata as well isn't it? Are they waiting for a few people to be killed first then issue a recall? My 2004 Tundra has a recall for the passenger side, which I had replaced a few months ago, but there is no recall for the driver's side. Guess enough haven't ruptured yet.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mossman77
I was wondering about the passenger's side airbag. It is Takata as well isn't it? Are they waiting for a few people to be killed first then issue a recall? My 2004 Tundra has a recall for the passenger side, which I had replaced a few months ago, but there is no recall for the driver's side. Guess enough haven't ruptured yet.
We've had the driver airbag inflator replaced twice on our 2002 TL. We're driving that one now. The 2013 TL is stowed at the Acura dealer at the moment, and we've got a rental.

Not too thrilled about waiting to find out about the passenger bag on the 2002. I sit there usually when I'm in that car. Maybe I should sit in the back seat.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Just got off the phone with my Acura dealer. Not only did the replacement TL part come in, but they have it all installed, car washed and I just have to go over and pick it up! They will return my rental to Enterprise.

Sad to see my Mazda go, it's been a great rental. But thrilled to get the Acura TL back. It's a 2013, so I guess I won't have to worry too much about the passenger bag for awhile.

Really think it helped though to get the rental to speed things up. Honda had to shell out over $1,200 or so because of all this.

Anyway, good luck to the rest of you; hope you get cars fixed soon.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just got off the phone with my SM at Thousand Oaks Acura in California regarding the Passenger Side air bags. He stated that NHTSA and Honda/Acura sent them the videos a few days ago and are still currently in the identifying stages for the Passenger Side Airbags. Once they identified those that are affected, they will be contacted to remedy the issue.

-DeL
Old 05-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mossman77
I was wondering about the passenger's side airbag. It is Takata as well isn't it? Are they waiting for a few people to be killed first then issue a recall?
Sadly, the answer is probably yes.
If you look at the document I posted above(which is the first one that comes up on Google), Honda didn't get serious about these recalls until multiple fatal injuries occurred.
I have to say this leaves a very sour taste in my mouth about Honda.
I'm not saying Honda is the only one, but 95% of the serious injuries with these airbags were all Honda.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
NHTSA Announcement: Recall of All Non-desiccated Takata Front Airbag Inflators 5/5/2016

http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...le6/embed/auto
Old 05-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Instructor

so picked up my TL. Damn, it's a nice car. All fixed. Noticed they drove it two miles since I dropped it off. So they did move it a bit. All washed, looks fine, drove great. (It was there for a month and 4 days).

Talked to the service guy. He told me all the replacement inflators are NOT from Takata... except for one small bracket. Honda/Acura isn't doing business with Takata any longer.

I'm so glad I got my car fixed and don't have to go through the summer without it. Good luck everyone, hope you don't have to wait too long. I was surprised it got fixed fast.

Sounds like from that video above that the rental program is basically over once they fix your driver airbag inflator..

Last edited by lbotez; 05-06-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:30 PM
Cruisin'

Airbag Replaced

Got the call that the inflator for my 2013 TL was in and ready to be installed. Had the work done this weekend. Took about a hour and they gave me a bluetooth speaker for my troubles. Small gesture but just glad to have it done. They noted that I was the first person to get the replacement from their dealership since I was the first one to turn in my car back in February.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:39 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
It is really going to stink if once I get the drivers side inflator replaced I have to repeat this entire process again with the passenger side.

IMO it makes no sense as to why Honda/Acura wouldn't have just replaced both inflators from the beginning. Assuming both inflators are Takata, what would make them think that only the drivers side would be defective and the passenger side would be fine. I know it's possible, but IMO highly unlikely since there are 69 million total vehicles being recalled based on the most recent info from last week.

I think they have know all along that both inflators were defective, but decided to keep quiet figuring they would deal with it when they had to.

Last edited by JT4; 05-09-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JT4
It is really going to stink if once I get the drivers side inflator replaced I have to repeat this entire process again with the passenger side.

IMO it makes no sense as to why Honda/Acura wouldn't have just replaced both inflators from the beginning. Assuming both inflators are Takata, what would make them think that only the drivers side would be defective and the passenger side would be fine. I know it's possible, but IMO highly unlikely since there are 69 million total vehicles being recalled based on the most recent info from last week.

I think they have know all along that both inflators were defective, but decided to keep quiet figuring they would deal with it when they had to.

per the NHTSA's new conference video - sounds as if 1st priority was driver's airbag ,

then any with out the desiccant,

and finally will look at airbags with desiccant?

guess that was the priority based on risk

not to mention the mfr ability to supply replacement airbags

but sounds as if eventually may cover any with that particular propellant
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 06:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JT4

OK so what about the side impact air bags ?
I would think every airbag in the car would have the same inflator.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:22 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Damn. If true, then we, as well as all our loved ones, will be instant dead meats, sitting inside the car when accidents happen, with explosive shrapnel shooting out in all possible directions.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:07 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I was actually thinking about the side airbags when I was washing the TL last night. I wouldn't surprised if these are also defective, it will be very interesting to see how all of this unfolds...
Old 05-10-2016, 07:25 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by crxb
per the NHTSA's new conference video - sounds as if 1st priority was driver's airbag ,

then any with out the desiccant,

and finally will look at airbags with desiccant?

guess that was the priority based on risk

not to mention the mfr ability to supply replacement airbags

but sounds as if eventually may cover any with that particular propellant
I agree I also think they may eventually replace all inflators. IMO I think they know now what needs to be done but as you said due to supply of inflators are fixing based on what they feel or what NHTSA feels is the priority.

But I would have to assume that if a passenger inflator is defective and blows apart obviously the passenger is a sitting duck, but even if there is no passenger present at the time, the driver IMO is still at a high risk of getting injured or worse when shrapnel goes flying into the cabin.
The following users liked this post:
ressling (05-11-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Cruisin'

Well I just had a surprising message left for me:
"Hey buddy. Your air bag is here. You will be getting your car this month. I will be in touch with you."
For this just now tuning in, this is an update on me buying a 2013 TL-tech package.
Let's hope this isn't an empty promise!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Can we get confirmation that Takata inflators are in our passenger airbags as well? I would assume so.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DidiBob
Can we get confirmation that Takata inflators are in our passenger airbags as well? I would assume so.
Takata makes 5 different types of airbags for Honda/Acura; not sure which ones are in the TL; especially since there are different years... Also, they probably all don't use that ammonium nitrate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/bu...isis.html?_r=0

I guess we have to wait to find out which cars have the problem inflators.

I'm expecting them to probably be Takata however...

From what I understand, the passenger side airbags are farther away, and I don't think they work exactly the same as the driver side airbag (which is basically right in front of the driver, embedded in the steering wheel).

I have two TL's; the 2002 TL (driver inflator has been replaced twice); I won't be having anyone sitting in the passenger seat until I find out the story. If it's on the recall list, it will probably get fixed this year, so no one will sit there until then. The newer 2013 TL, I'm not worried about the passenger side for a couple years. I also live in the upper midwest, so not worried about anything happening (my state is listed as one of the least probable areas for the inflator to explode).

Last edited by lbotez; 05-10-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was sitting here reading though the comments, wondering when my inflator would come in. Anyway, my dealer just called! LOL

They are coming to tow my car in for the replacement today. Nice! I'm not sure if it's the driver side only, or passenger too.

I signed up for the replacement and got my rental on 3/31/16
Old 05-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RKEnnis
Well, we had a big hail storm here last night. My local dealer insisted I store my TL myself (I'd have wanted to anyway). So it was in my garage space last night.

The rental was in the driveway. It suffered significant hail damage! Now I'm wondering what will happen, and what is "right".

I don't want my insurance to pay the cost of hail repair for the rental, and I don't want to even be out my deductible!

Is it fair to expect Acura to pay for the hail damage to the rental? After all, if it weren't for the recall, NO car would have been parked in my driveway... :/
The dealer got the airbag in stock and replaced it today.

When I dropped off the rental, of course the first thing the guy looked for was hail damage. Looks like I'll have to file an insurance claim. The dealer is leaving me hanging there, naturally. I wish I'd insisted they pay the damage waiver

Anyway, the good news is I got my TL back!

It sure drives different than that Dodge Journey rental LOL

Edit: I sure hope we don't have to go through this again with the passenger side... sigh.

Last edited by RKEnnis; 05-10-2016 at 11:20 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 05-11-2016, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Guess I must be lucky because I just had mine replaced as well. Dealer called me yesterday. Took it in the two hours later the same day and I was out in 30 minutes. That being said, I'm in Georgia, so I think we are higher on the priority list for replacements.

The irony is that I was short on time and I did in fact drive my TL to the dealership to get the part swapped. Hell, I've seen enough 4G TL's on the road in Atlanta that I figured why not roll the dice.

I had an Enterprise rental for about 45 days. It was a Chevrolet Silverado crew cab... so naturally, now I want a truck LOL.

Hats off to Jackson Acura in Alpharetta, GA. The service manager there is top notch and I'm really glad I bought my TL there.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
I just renewed the Taurus 30 day PO with Enterprise. They told me that it seems to be every two weeks Acura gets a shipment, because every two weeks there are a batch of returns, maybe 10 or so.

They estimate that at that one Enterprise location they have 200 rentals to Honda/Acura and that statewide there are over 1500.

And they know Honda is working with other rental companies. Should have bought stock.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:22 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Went to Acura a month or so ago. They drove me over to Hertz and stuck me in a 2015 i4 Camry SE. No Nav, non-leather seats, super stock. Has a touch-screen "infotainment" system and a rear-view. Sucks, but in those ~30 days I saved over 4k miles on my car, so I guess it's worth it!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaze9
Went to Acura a month or so ago. They drove me over to Hertz and stuck me in a 2015 i4 Camry SE. No Nav, non-leather seats, super stock. Has a touch-screen "infotainment" system and a rear-view. Sucks, but in those ~30 days I saved over 4k miles on my car, so I guess it's worth it!
Why not go back to Hertz and swap it out? I traded in a POS Impala for a Taurus Limited. The Taurus has some nice stuff my Tech doesn't: cooled seats, trajectory backup camera, backup sensors, electric steering column and pedal adjustment, remote start, shows title of song on Bluetooth, more cup holders, split rear seat, the seats move back when exiting the car, and bigger trunk. My wife likes it better than the TL, and she says the hands-free quality of the phone is a lot better than the TL (no background noise).

So while I miss the power and better driving experience of my TL, I'm feeling a little spoiled by the Taurus. I suggest you keep changing until you find something you like.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Is there any way we can know if our cars have Takata air bags on the passenger side?

I realized they aren't under recall at the moment. But really, which air bags ARE Takata? There are a lot of airbags in these cars, and i'm not comfortable that Honda/Acura isn't hiding something!

I'm already disillusioned by Honda/Acura brand. This is the last straw for me. Maybe I need to just sell this damn thing. :/

I also feel really screwed having to pay for hail damage for a rental that only occurred because my dealer was unable to safely store my car. (which the letter from Acura said they WOULD do)
Old 05-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Is there any way we can know if our cars have Takata air bags on the passenger side?

I realized they aren't under recall at the moment. But really, which air bags ARE Takata? There are a lot of airbags in these cars, and i'm not comfortable that Honda/Acura isn't hiding something!

I'm already disillusioned by Honda/Acura brand. This is the last straw for me. Maybe I need to just sell this damn thing. :/

I also feel really screwed having to pay for hail damage for a rental that only occurred because my dealer was unable to safely store my car. (which the letter from Acura said they WOULD do)
Sadly, I don't think there is any way to know for sure. Based on how Honda has behaved on this matter already(hiding this issue for over a decade), I would fully expect them to hide it until something terrible happens to someone. I will strongly consider another brand at this point, and may just wind up selling my car altogether.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Advanced

I just got off the phone with Acura customer service. The representative refused to even tell me the brand of the passenger side air bag on my car.

She kept repeating "We won't know anything more until Takata tells us more parts are being recalled". And I kept saying "You don't need to wait for Takata to to tell ACURA which airbags ACURA installed in their vehicles. What BRAND of airbag did Acura install on the passenger side - not does it have desiccant, not asking about the recall status - what BRAND is the passenger airbag?!?!"

Then she says "Like I said sir, we have to wait for Takata to give us information on future recalls". ARGH!!!!

Do I think Honda/Acura is hiding something from us? OH hell yeah!!! They know full well what part numbers were installed where.

Shame on them. Acura has permanently lost my trust.

Oh, BTW, it's apparently absurd they I'd think Acura or my dealer should pay for the hail damage on the rental. The Acura rep. actually laughed at me when I asked that question. :/

I know it won't happen but I think Honda/Acura should have to publicly state what brand air bags are in each position on the vehicle.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Drifting

I just got off the phone with Acura customer service. The representative refused to even tell me the brand of the passenger side air bag on my car.

She kept repeating "We won't know anything more until Takata tells us more parts are being recalled". And I kept saying "You don't need to wait for Takata to to tell ACURA which airbags ACURA installed in their vehicles. What BRAND of airbag did Acura install on the passenger side - not does it have desiccant, not asking about the recall status - what BRAND is the passenger airbag?!?!"

Then she says "Like I said sir, we have to wait for Takata to give us information on future recalls". ARGH!!!!

Do I think Honda/Acura is hiding something from us? OH hell yeah!!! They know full well what part numbers were installed where.

Shame on them. Acura has permanently lost my trust.

Oh, BTW, it's apparently absurd they I'd think Acura or my dealer should pay for the hail damage on the rental. The Acura rep. actually laughed at me when I asked that question. :/

I know it won't happen but I think Honda/Acura should have to publicly state what brand air bags are in each position on the vehicle.
That sucks about the hail damage.
The people answering the phone most likely are following a script so there's no point in getting mad at them. I see no reason why Acura would put a Takata inflator in the driver side and a different one in the passenger and side air bags. I also see no reason for them to tell us that, even if they know it. This whole airbag issue has been going on for a decade.
The drivers side is tip of the iceburg IMO...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/bu...o-recalls.html
Old 05-12-2016, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
received a phone call yesterday. i am schedule for Monday. dealer usually does clean work but i will be taking pictures of before and after just in case. Will definitely ask for them to through in an oil change or resurface the rotors who knows they might just do it. Anything i should look out for when i go in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall