TL Takata Airbag Recall

Old 03-29-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
dude, leave it at a friends house or something.. the dealership will mess up your car for sure..

let me give you an example.. if a bird poops on your car and no one is there to take care of it for lets say 2 weeks.. that bird poop will eat through your paint.. also know that they do not crack open the windows if its hot.. car sits in the sun all day and no one is there to tend it.. im just hope you know what you are getting into.. also if anything were to happen to your car.. good luck on getting that repaired.

on the side note.. mine says max coverage is $25 a day.. anyone else got another doc stating more? if so please link me so i can show it to acura
Old 03-29-2016, 03:59 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by akshay5762
Hey guys, been following the thread for a while and managed to get a rental pretty easily 2 weeks ago from Enterprise while keeping my TL at home. It was 2015 Jetta but had a bad odor in it so was trying to change it out. Constantly called enterprise branches near me everyday and after about a week of calling, I found one that had a brand new 2016 Infiniti QX60. Only had a few hundred miles on it when I picked it up. So for those out there worried about crappy cars, I would just take it and then keep calling other branches to find an upgrade.
Did you have to pay extra for the upgrade ?
Old 03-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
For you guys that are getting rentals and are current XM subscribers: Do any of you know if you can put a freeze on your XM subscription while you're waiting for your car to be repaired? I don't mind calling XM but thought I'd ask here first. No need to pay for the service for 2 or 3 months when you can't use it.
I called XM and they put my subscription on hold for 5 months, I can reactivate it before that time by just calling them. The subscription will continue from the day I reactivated.:thumbs: There is no point of paying for something you will not use.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
also if you arent driving the TL, put your insurance on hold as well... or atleast downgrade it to oneway insurance
Old 03-29-2016, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
My max from what the dealership told me is $33/day. I wish I could get in a nice car like a 2016 Infiniti QX60. I'd even take a Camry haha.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:53 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Did you have to pay extra for the upgrade ?
I didn't have to pay extra. When I picked up my Jetta from Enterprise, they told me the contract they have with my Acura Dealership covered any class of vehicle they offered. So basically I can get whatever Enterprise has to offer, as long as that branch is willing to give it up. A lot of branches had a fully loaded grand cherokee and other cars but they wouldn't give it to me as soon a I mentioned I was trading in a current enterprise car. But yeah, no extra charge for me upgrade, just a flat $25/day fee to Acura for any car.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Questions. .. I contacted my dealer and he gave me option of enterprise rental or if I think I can wait to bring it in when parts are available and I plan on doing the later as I cannot keep my car at dealer for months, so this airbag issue is only if it gets deployed during a crash right? Then the probability of it happening is very low .

Secondly all my discussion with dealer is verbal and I did send an email but dealer did not respond, how do I ensure I am on their list for getting the part fixed? How do get something in writing?
Old 03-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by boss2k
Questions. .. I contacted my dealer and he gave me option of enterprise rental or if I think I can wait to bring it in when parts are available and I plan on doing the later as I cannot keep my car at dealer for months, so this airbag issue is only if it gets deployed during a crash right? Then the probability of it happening is very low .

Secondly all my discussion with dealer is verbal and I did send an email but dealer did not respond, how do I ensure I am on their list for getting the part fixed? How do get something in writing?
Personally, I wouldn't do that. Since you know about the recall, and have received it and talked to the dealer, you are taking on all the responsibility if something happens. You are taking the risk, not them.

The probability is extremely low, but if you are unlucky, you and your family (if something happens) aren't gonna be in a good position if the airbag kills or maims you.

Plus they aren't taking any reservations for repairs until the parts come in. "Summer". If you get the rental you probably will get you car fixed first.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2016, 07:18 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by lbotez
I have Liberty Mutual; I'm covered when I'm driving any car. There is this thing about having a replacement car for more than 30 days (which I didn't ask my insurance guy yet); I think you have to return the rental every 30 days and get a new rental agreement for some car insurance ... not sure it applies to everyone though. But you should check with your car insurance.
A month ago my SA told me that I would have to leave my TL at the dealer if I wanted a rental. Then yesterday I rec'd an email from my SA telling me that they are now allowing customers to get a rental while leaving their cars at home. This is the only reason I am considering getting a rental.

So I spoke to my insurance company (Geico) and I was told that I will be 100% covered under my current auto policy in the event of any incidents. The rep told me that I didn't need to purchase the insurance the rental company will offer me if I didn't want to since my policy will cover everything.

I also specifically asked if I needed to add any additional coverage to my policy since I will have the rental for approx 4 to 5 months and I was told "no, you're good to go".

However, based on what you wrote, I will give them another call and ask if I need to renew the rental agreement on a month to month basis just to be sure. Thanks for the heads-up.

BTW my dealer told me that they will cover $40 to $50 per day max.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Drifting

I called the local enterprise near my dealer and they said they wopuld only supply a car for "basic transportation". A Kia, an Altima etc. I advised them I called enterprise national offfice and they told me my dealer has a deal to rent any car except the large SUV's for an agreed upon rate of 30.00. This enterprise dealer was being dickish though. Can I go to ANY enterprise dealer ?
Old 03-29-2016, 08:08 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

I called the local enterprise near my dealer and they said they wopuld only supply a car for "basic transportation". A Kia, an Altima etc. I advised them I called enterprise national offfice and they told me my dealer has a deal to rent any car except the large SUV's for an agreed upon rate of 30.00. This enterprise dealer was being dickish though. Can I go to ANY enterprise dealer ?
Check with your dealer. My dealer gave me the number of the Enterprise they are using and the managers name. I called to get the info and the manager told me that I need to fill out the paperwork at Acura first so that I can get an RO# from my dealer. Enterprise told me that all they need is the RO# to get me into the rental.

So I would assume that any Enterprise would be able to help you as long as you have the RO# from your dealer.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:42 PM
4th Gear

Just talked to a local dealer and will get a rental car from Enterprise tomorrow. However I was told by my car insurance company (AmeriPrise) that they will only cover rental car insurance for at most 30 days each year. Since it is very likely that I will be driving the rental car for several months, it seems that I will have to change to another insurance company.

I wonder if there is any workaround for this. Is it possible to return/renew the car rental every 30 days? Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:47 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
According to my Enterprise contract it stated $35 per day allowed, but I called ACR if they can raise it to $45 per day and they said no problem. On my previous post this is my 3rd car from Enterprise since I started on Feb.16.

Last edited by Inspire08; 03-29-2016 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 03-29-2016, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Here in Las Vegas you would think that they have plenty of rental cars being a tourist destination.....not really.
I went thru 4 different local Enterprise and they have limited selection unless you don't mind driving a Kia Rio. Enterprise rep advised me to keep searching and try to call another place because most of their cars are out due to this.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:05 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I just hope this recall issue gets resolved quick and takata(jp) sends the new inflators. Based on that video i watch it could take a longtime.
And based on potzmilk point i have to remember to
wash, crack the windows and maintain it while it is not being driven. Though i have my tl at home it just suck sitting for who know how long. It has already been sitting since mid of Feb.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:10 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Damn don't I feel like a retard. I have been so busy lately i have not checked this forum. Well yesterday I got a letter from Acura telling me my vin was included for my 2012 TL.

Called the dealer, they said reserve a car at enterprise, come in with your letter and VIN, and they will give me the reference number. So after 5 mins at the dealer (Criswell Acura Annapolis), I left and went to enterprise where I was told that the dealer is paying for premium cars to best accommodate their customers. Loaded 300 or Impala. However due to the high volume all they had left was a 2016 Ford Expedition Platinum with the eco boost. So no extra charge I'm going to drive that for a while. Due to the length of the rental they said whenever i want to swap out for something more fuel efficient give them a call, which i will be doing. They were honest about it, they've had a rush of people coming in because of this recall so it was that or a chevy spark.

Anyways I can say that honestly my experience with this whole thing has been top notch both by acura, the dealer, and enterprise. No complaints from this owner other than the new brakes and tires that will now be sitting for 4-5 months.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:10 PM
Racer

I knoiw i sound crazy but i still see 4g Tls on my daily commute... I have to stop myself because ill randomly tell them listen your car is apart of a major safety recall, theyll look at me like this weirdo needs to back up and mind his business others are like its a 5yr old car nothing is going to happen.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Drifting

FYI guys. I just talked to my rep at State Farm insurance. They advised me in order to get insurance coverage for more than 30 days, I would have to purchase something called UNOC (unlimited rental coverage) which is 50.00 for every 6 months.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

FYI guys. I just talked to my rep at State Farm insurance. They advised me in order to get insurance coverage for more than 30 days, I would have to purchase something called UNOC (unlimited rental coverage) which is 50.00 for every 6 months.
Even though Geico told me my auto policy will cover me for several months I definitely have to call them back to be certain. Because you are now the third person I have heard this from.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by real_mckoy
I knoiw i sound crazy but i still see 4g Tls on my daily commute... I have to stop myself because ill randomly tell them listen your car is apart of a major safety recall, theyll look at me like this weirdo needs to back up and mind his business others are like its a 5yr old car nothing is going to happen.

Not everyone has gotten the notice. Acura is not sending them all at once. Pretty irresponsible of them, but it is what it is.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Not everyone has gotten the notice. Acura is not sending them all at once. Pretty irresponsible of them, but it is what it is.
I think they are coming out at different times in different regions. And maybe for different models. I got mine on Monday, but didn't call until Tuesday. Enterprise was out of cars. I can't get one until Friday. They've been overwhelmed with calls. So imagine if all of them came out at the same time. And it's not just Acura/Honda. Many other brands are involved.

I read somewhere that they would be sending out the notices by the end of the month.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:24 AM
Instructor

I talked to my insurance company agent at Liberty Mutual. Remember all insurance can be slightly different. She didn't even know about this airbag recall until yesterday. She told me I had to keep my insurance (not put it on hold, on in storage, etc.). Apparently we are insured to drive other cars, but are limited to the value of the price of our most expensive car. So let's say you get some fancy 2016 car. It's only insured up to the value of your auto (mine is a 2013 TL, so that should probably cover any Enterprise car I get). Also she didn't think there was a problem with the 30 day rentals... but will let me know if there is a problem.

The Acura dealer service person told me that it's Acura's request you need to get a new contract every 30 days. So every 30 days you have to drive to Enterprise and get a new 30 day contract. Now for who's benefit, I don't know. He said you can keep the same car, just need a new contract.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:31 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
The Acura dealer service person told me that it's Acura's request you need to get a new contract every 30 days. So every 30 days you have to drive to Enterprise and get a new 30 day contract. Now for who's benefit, I don't know. He said you can keep the same car, just need a new contract.
I have had my rental since Feb 8, neither Enterprise nor Acura have asked me to bring the rental car back. 51 days today.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by emanon256
I have had my rental since Feb 8, neither Enterprise nor Acura have asked me to bring the rental car back. 51 days today.
Same goes for me. The Acura dealership I went to, Thousand Oaks of Acura in California never mentioned having to renew a 30 day rental contract with them or for Enterprise. However, this was early into the whole recall thing before the notices were even sent, but I haven't heard from them otherwise.

-DeL
Old 03-30-2016, 11:08 AM
4th Gear

Just found the forum and seems like a lot of great information here, although I am now concerned about oil consumption and the propeller shaft in my 2009 3.7 SH-AWD. I do think I have the propeller shaft issue, but will probably wait until I get the airbag fixed.

Just want to share my experience with the recall. I received my notice on Monday and called Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg, MD Tuesday morning. Spoke to a very nice service adviser and she told me they were being overwhelmed with calls and that I would receive a call from the manager later in the day. I spoke to Adam, who is the service manager and he informed me that I am eligible for a rental, but didn't think I needed one. Said that his car is affected by the recall as well and he wasn't going to stop driving it. I informed him that I would like a rental as I did not want to assume the risk of driving the vehicle during the recall. He informed me that they were only going to pay $35 a day for a rental and that I needed to schedule an appointment so they can track the mileage. Also, I said that I would like keep the car at home since I have both a garage and a carport. Said that wasn't an issue, just needed to complete some paper work.

I took my car in this morning to complete the paperwork and it was a less then 10 minute process. I had Valery as my SA and overall, the process was seamless and she was just ok. The SA next to me said that they have processed around 100 rentals since the start of this and there were several other folks there as well. I was given my RO number and sent on my way.

I arranged a rental through an Enterprise that I use almost weekly and all they asked was what do I want to drive and they would make sure I would have it. I didn't go for anything crazy, I just told them I would like a 4-door F-150. It isn't comparable to the TL at all, but since I will be driving it for the near term, I thought it would be nice to haul stuff, camping trips, etc. They said that it wasn't a problem and had one waiting for me this morning that had less then 500 miles on it. They said I would always swap out if needed. Not 100% sure it will work, but we did attach my Emerald Club membership to the rental since I am Executive Elite with them, so hopefully I can get extra points for vacation use.

Enterprise did mention, that I need a new contract every 30 days. It allows them to inspect the vehicle and see if it needs serviced. Not sure if the 30 days is a Maryland thing or not, but not a big deal.

Overall, I can say that I had no issues with Acura or Enterprise. My general feeling is that I could have kept driving my car for the length of the recall but if something would happen, I would have assumed all liability for the airbag. Whether that is true or not, we won't know but I can have a little better piece of mind now when I have my 3 year old in the car with me.

Wish everyone best of luck!

Cheers,

Charles
Old 03-30-2016, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why the disparity in what the dealer are allowing for rental cars! My dealer said $35 a day, which is a Midsize car. I've seen quote as low as $25 and as high as $45-50.

I'm pretty pissed to be stuck with a smelly Enterprise midsize car yesterday. I called my local dealership yesterday to see if there was any wiggle room on the rental.

They basically spoke to me as if I'm a child. They stated that their only concern was for safety, and they are going above and beyond what is required of them by paying ANYTHING. They stated repeatedly that their ONLY legal responsibility was to replace the part!

They further stated that I should be grateful to be getting ANY car allowance whatsoever!!!

I'm fairly disappointed at the prospect of driving a base model rental for 2-3 months, but I'm absolutely furious at the way Acura spoke to me about this!!

I love Acuras, but this is the last straw.

I think my local Acura dealer may be the worst one in the entire U.S. Sadly, because of that one dealership, this WILL be my last Acura.

Last edited by RKEnnis; 03-30-2016 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added info, correct spelling
Old 03-30-2016, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RKEnnis
I think my local Acura dealer may be the worst one in the entire U.S. Sadly, because of that one dealership, this WILL be my last Acura.
Care to share which dealer? This sounds like something my dealer here would pull.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:09 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RKEnnis
Why the disparity in what the dealer are allowing for rental cars! My dealer said $35 a day, which is a Midsize car. I've seen quote as low as $25 and as high as $45-50.

I'm pretty pissed to be stuck with a smelly Enterprise midsize car yesterday. I called my local dealership yesterday to see if there was any wiggle room on the rental.

They basically spoke to me as if I'm a child. They stated that their only concern was for safety, and they are going above and beyond what is required of them by paying ANYTHING. They stated repeatedly that their ONLY legal responsibility was to replace the part!

They further stated that I should be grateful to be getting ANY car allowance whatsoever!!!

I'm fairly disappointed at the prospect of driving a base model rental for 2-3 months, but I'm absolutely furious at the way Acura spoke to me about this!!

I love Acuras, but this is the last straw.

I think someone on this forum had went directly to ACR and asked for it to be raised and was not an issue. I would call them and see if they can help you out in that regard, also let them know of your complaints with your local dealership.

From my understanding or maybe just scuttlebutt, I heard that if certain dealerships gets X amount of bad reviews or complaints, their stock will get hindered or something like that, causing them to have low income for the owner and such

just my .02

-DeL
Old 03-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by FallenTSX
I think someone on this forum had went directly to ACR and asked for it to be raised and was not an issue. I would call them and see if they can help you out in that regard, also let them know of your complaints with your local dealership.

From my understanding or maybe just scuttlebutt, I heard that if certain dealerships gets X amount of bad reviews or complaints, their stock will get hindered or something like that, causing them to have low income for the owner and such

just my .02

-DeL
That's great advice! Unfortunately, I already called the Acura customer service 800 number. Twice actually. Both representatives told me that the credit to be allowed for a rental, if any, is decided by the local dealership.

They said I should voice any complaints about the rental amount to my local dealer - Acura America will do nothing.

So from what I can gather, Acura is washing their hands of it, and leaving it all in the hands of the local dealers. Terrible idea in my opinion.

Maybe they simply don't care about losing a single loyal customer. I suppose they think they have an endless supply.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ckiggins
Care to share which dealer? This sounds like something my dealer here would pull.
Yeah, it's Gunn Acura in San Antonio TX.

It's REALLY too bad that they are the only Acura dealer in my city.

Honestly, I'd have replaced my '09 TL with a new Acura already if my relationship with that dealership wasn't so terrible!

Too bad you're dealer apparently isn't so great either!
Old 03-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Instructor

I love my dealer. Always has been courteous, and helpful.

Though I'm not expecting them to give me a loaner as good as my vehicle for 3-6 months. Be reasonable folks. They technically don't have to give you anything. I'm just glad to have a replacement car.

Here's a website from Acura about the airbag problem: http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...EM11/160229959

Also read this news. This is from 23 March 2016:
Honda Airbag Info Recall

sounds like they are just figuring out what is happening.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Instructor

sorry, can't edit my posts for some reason.

It's from 23 February... off a month. :
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...EM11/160229959
Old 03-30-2016, 02:17 PM
Advanced

Though I'm not expecting them to give me a loaner as good as my vehicle for 3-6 months. Be reasonable folks. They technically don't have to give you anything. I'm just glad to have a replacement car.

Here's a website from Acura about the airbag problem: http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...EM11/160229959

Honda Airbag Info Recall

I'm being offered a rental in the Ford Focus class. Although that's better than walking, it does NOT address the fact that my family simply can't fit in the vehicle. I'm pretty tall, and both my sons are well over 6' 4". How's a Ford Focus gonna work?

I bough the size vehicle I did for a reason - I need the room.

Also, it's not right to pay $40+grand for a vehicle and then get stuck driving a poorly maintained rental econobox for 3-4 months!!

Edit: You're right - legally all they have to do is change the bad part. The Acura representative I talked to was VERY clear about that. He mentioned it several times in fact. What he DIDN'T mention is what a failure to provide alternate transportation would do to their future customer base!

Yes, they don't HAVE to give us rentals at all. That is, unless they actually want repeat customers!

Last edited by RKEnnis; 03-30-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by potmilkz
also if you arent driving the TL, put your insurance on hold as well... or atleast downgrade it to oneway insurance

I don't think that is a good idea to put a hold on your insurance unless your rate will not change when you decide to continue. If you put a hold on your insurance you will still need coverage for the loaner/rental that you are driving if you decide to go with that option . Though the loaners/rentals are covered by there company having a hold on your insurance might affect people in certain states but if it is possible why not do it and save some money. That is some good food for thought for some of us. I already paid our insurance off for the year already so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of that opportunity.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:23 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Honda Airbag Info Recall

Lol no. Technically, they HAVE to offer rental vehicles because they want to avoid major lawsuits. Obviously customer satisfaction also plays into that. Many of us paid over $40k for these cars, I don't expect to be in a brand as nice as mine, just something similar in size and not some tin can. If it were just for a week or two, I wouldn't care what car I'm in. But this is long term and many of us have to drive clients in our cars. I'm happy to be in an Impala, pretty close to my TL when it comes to dimensions. Being reasonable is getting a rental in similar size to the vehicle you paid for.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:38 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by real_mckoy
I don't think that is a good idea to put a hold on your insurance unless your rate will not change when you decide to continue. If you put a hold on your insurance you will still need coverage for the loaner/rental that you are driving if you decide to go with that option . Though the loaners/rentals are covered by there company having a hold on your insurance might affect people in certain states but if it is possible why not do it and save some money. That is some good food for thought for some of us. I already paid our insurance off for the year already so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of that opportunity.
I agree here. I spoke to my agent about lower coverage or at least changing use. She said that since it isn't long term, I should stay the same.

FYI - I am with Erie insurance and have been since 2003
Old 03-31-2016, 10:48 AM
3rd Gear

Has anyone else been effected with a lease car?

Are you able to get out of the lease? They have gave me a rental but its a Ford Fusion.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ACURA2121
Has anyone else been effected with a lease car?

Are you able to get out of the lease? They have gave me a rental but its a Ford Fusion.
Did you ask them to switch you to a TLX or something that doesn't have that airbag? That would be pretty lousy if you are leasing... how long is your lease?

"Oh, here have a Ford Focus. Not quite an Acura, but oh well."
Old 03-31-2016, 11:17 AM
3rd Gear

Did you ask them to switch you to a TLX or something that doesn't have that airbag? That would be pretty lousy if you are leasing... how long is your lease?

"Oh, here have a Ford Focus. Not quite an Acura, but oh well."
When I tried to get out of my lease the said a contract is a contract.. Tried to explain if I wanted to lease a Ford I would have went spent $100 less a month and leased one. Was just curious if anyone got different answers from a supervisor, since they refused to connect me to one. That one would call me back at earliest connivance. Just frustrating to be paying for luxury car lease and drive a Ford Fusion.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ACURA2121
When I tried to get out of my lease the said a contract is a contract.. Tried to explain if I wanted to lease a Ford I would have went spent $100 less a month and leased one. Was just curious if anyone got different answers from a supervisor, since they refused to connect me to one. That one would call me back at earliest connivance. Just frustrating to be paying for luxury car lease and drive a Ford Fusion.
That's horrible service. I imagine they have tons of unhappy people leasing their cars. But they should do something for you. Try calling Acura Client Relations at 800-382-2238. I've never leased a car, but look over your lease. Know a lawyer or law student? That's terrible. At the least you would think they would knock off those months you have to drive that Ford off your lease. Maybe keep calling Enterprise or wherever your car came from to see if they have a better car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall