4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TL Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts
On a related note, does anyone know what impact this recall has on the resale value of our TLs? I am looking to trade in my 2010 TL SH-AWD for an MDX. Will dealerships still buy my car from me? If so, will it negatively impact resale value??
Old 03-21-2016, 08:30 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mynameisjacob
On a related note, does anyone know what impact this recall has on the resale value of our TLs? I am looking to trade in my 2010 TL SH-AWD for an MDX. Will dealerships still buy my car from me? If so, will it negatively impact resale value??
Im not sure if it would impact the resale value but what I do know is that Acura is not accepting any trades or offerin any sales on the vehicles that were affected by the recall.. unless they lifted that ban? Anyone can chime in and confirm?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by real_mckoy
Im not sure if it would impact the resale value but what I do know is that Acura is not accepting any trades or offerin any sales on the vehicles that were affected by the recall.. unless they lifted that ban? Anyone can chime in and confirm?
I do not think that is entirely true. The dealership can take in an affected car in trade, but they cannot turn around and sell that car until the updated inflator is installed. I hear that Acura has a procedure in place to compensate the dealer for holding onto the car until the recall is completed (very much like VW has been paying for all of the affected diesels that are still sitting on dealer lots that cannot be sold until that mess is fixed with the EPA).

So you might find different answers at different dealers. One might be fine going along with Acura's program to hold on to the cars until the recall is complete while another dealer might say we do not want to participate in this and decline to take the car in trade.

if you are trying to trade into a non-Acura dealer, you should have no problem since that dealer is not under the stop sale by Acura (since they are not an Acura dealer), and therefore that dealer can turn around and sell the car on the used market. The situation gets a little sticky if you are trying to trade into a non-Acura dealer owned by a dealer group who also owns an Acura dealer. So if you are at Johnson's VW and there is also a Johnson's Acura 10 miles away, you might run into a situation where the Johnson family does not want to get involved at any of their dealerships.

Last edited by heisnuts; 03-22-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:58 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timeline for fix??

Hi guys... due to the stop sale I was only able to put a deposit down for a 2012 tech today.. The dealership said they are hoping for a release of May. Has anyone heard similar or later. I have a friend that turned his TL in and was told he would probably receive his car back late fall? I'm super excited to own my TL though!
Attached Thumbnails TL Takata Airbag Recall-image.jpeg  
Old 03-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minilover91
Hi guys... due to the stop sale I was only able to put a deposit down for a 2012 tech today.. The dealership said they are hoping for a release of May. Has anyone heard similar or later. I have a friend that turned his TL in and was told he would probably receive his car back late fall? I'm super excited to own my TL though!
Yes, the current target is May; thats when they "anticipate" to have the parts into the dealership; don't be surprised if that slips a bit
Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by soniczoom5
Yes, the current target is May; thats when they "anticipate" to have the parts into the dealership; don't be surprised if that slips a bit
Thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by omgitsspooky
Queens, NY - Got off the phone with my local dealer. No hassle. Made an appointment for this Saturday to pick up a rental with the option to leave the car at my driveway. Just gotta sign papers and bring some documents.

Question for those leaving their cars at home. What steps will you be doing to keep the car in good shape? I can turn the engine on from time to time to keep the fluids going but we can't drive it and I don't want my rotors to rust.

you should try to drive it at least once a week; pref at least 10 mins with the engine running and at a min. pull forward and back so the tires rotate; the best advice is to actually take it for a spin at highway speeds if possible; that will get your rotors working and get fluids going
Old 03-23-2016, 07:18 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by omgitsspooky
For those keeping their cars at home - Are you allowed to drive it around the block a few times just to keep the fluids going and tires from getting flat spots?

no; the waiver you sign states you agree to only drive it to the dealership for the repair; otherwise, honda is not responsible
Old 03-23-2016, 07:25 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Congrats and welcome to AZ..

IMO it sounds like the dealer is "stretching the truth" a bit to sell you a car. From what most people here have been told, best case is sometime this summer for the parts to be available to address the recall. My dealer told me it could take until end of August - Sept until he has the parts. Hopefully the dealers are giving themselves a cushion from what they have been told but only time will tell.

Your TL is going to be sitting on the dealers lot for a long time, so when the time comes to pick it up just may sure you inspect every inch of the vehicle to make sure there is no damage. If it was me I would take pictures of the car now so that you have something to reference in case you run into an issue at time of delivery where you see damage, and the dealer tries to tell you it was there.

Hopefully your deposit is refundable, just in case you get frustrated if May comes and goes and you still don't have an answer as to when the car will be ready. There is a strong possibility this could happen.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a negative, I'm just trying to let you know what you may be in for so you're prepared. Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:39 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by JT4
Congrats and welcome to AZ..

IMO it sounds like the dealer is "stretching the truth" a bit to sell you a car. From what most people here have been told, best case is sometime this summer for the parts to be available to address the recall. My dealer told me it could take until end of August - Sept until he has the parts. Hopefully the dealers are giving themselves a cushion from what they have been told but only time will tell.

Your TL is going to be sitting on the dealers lot for a long time, so when the time comes to pick it up just may sure you inspect every inch of the vehicle to make sure there is no damage. If it was me I would take pictures of the car now so that you have something to reference in case you run into an issue at time of delivery where you see damage, and the dealer tries to tell you it was there.

Hopefully your deposit is refundable, just in case you get frustrated if May comes and goes and you still don't have an answer as to when the car will be ready. There is a strong possibility this could happen.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a negative, I'm just trying to let you know what you may be in for so you're prepared. Good Luck!
Thanks for your reply 😀... I took tons of pics lol. I also had the manager write up a bill of sale and the deposit is completely refundable at anytime.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:44 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for your reply 😀... I took tons of pics lol. I also had the manager write up a bill of sale and the deposit is completely refundable at anytime.
my 2 cents as other said the resell value should be at an all time low once the airbags start coming in, as the market will be flooded with a ton of used TLs. Why not wait till then to buy it and agree on a price then? I hope you got a great deal. I am all for planning ahead but seems a bit excessive.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:09 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by kcarr91
my 2 cents as other said the resell value should be at an all time low once the airbags start coming in, as the market will be flooded with a ton of used TLs. Why not wait till then to buy it and agree on a price then? I hope you got a great deal. I am all for planning ahead but seems a bit excessive.
They offered a killer deal. I'm not locking in a price just the particular car so it doesn't slip away. This way once the car is fixed I'll be contacted. I can walk away at anytime. My trade-in and the sale price of the TL is all be dependent on KBB values once the recall is fixed. They may fix once sooner that I can purchase with the Advanced package lol but I like the car I've reserved.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by soniczoom5
you should try to drive it at least once a week; pref at least 10 mins with the engine running and at a min. pull forward and back so the tires rotate; the best advice is to actually take it for a spin at highway speeds if possible; that will get your rotors working and get fluids going
I'm having my car stored at the new NSX factory and once a week they run it on the NSX dyno

Touring the 2017 Acura NSX?s Ohio Factory - Motor Trend

and get this -

mailer from local Lexus dealer says trade values for my TL "are at an all time high" - good enough for me
Old 03-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
recall letter in the mail

I received my recall call letter today..in summary pretty much what they are saying is that they are taking a safety precaution and that's why we should not drive our cars. The letter also said that the parts will become available summer 16 which we di cussed here on the forum from information shared. They did also mention that if you haven't resolved means of alternate transportation (loaners,rental or other agreement with the dealer) or in any case where they have not met your needs reach out to Acura client relations. If that doesn't work reach out to American Honda motor co. In California and if theu are still not able to to support you with a laid service for alternate transportation you should reach out to Administrator
National highway traffic safety administration
1200 new jersey Ave, Washington DC 20590 or call toll free 18883274236
Just trying to help because I know some of us still were not getting anywhere with this recall .

For those residing in Canada maybe reach out to your department of transportation and safety.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by real_mckoy
I received my recall call letter today..in summary pretty much what they are saying is that they are taking a safety precaution and that's why we should not drive our cars. The letter also said that the parts will become available summer 16 which we di cussed here on the forum from information shared. They did also mention that if you haven't resolved means of alternate transportation (loaners,rental or other agreement with the dealer) or in any case where they have not met your needs reach out to Acura client relations. If that doesn't work reach out to American Honda motor co. In California and if theu are still not able to to support you with a laid service for alternate transportation you should reach out to Administrator
National highway traffic safety administration
1200 new jersey Ave, Washington DC 20590 or call toll free 18883274236
Just trying to help because I know some of us still were not getting anywhere with this recall.
Still waiting for the recall to come in the mail....
Old 03-28-2016, 05:36 PM
Instructor

got the recall notice from Acura today.

THE DEFECT IN THESE VEHICLES COULD KILL OR INJURE YOU OR OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR VEHICLE.

called the dealer, will be getting a rental in the next few days (I just have to go get it)... they rented an extra parking lot for the cars. They apparently turn them on and drive them around the block every so often. So probably will leave the car with them. After all, it was there for quite awhile before I bought it (Mine is a certified Acura). MEH.

The rental car will NOT be anything special. Oh well. We're all in the same boat.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Ugh

I only have 15 k on my car,wonder if it affects me.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:37 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I only have 15 k on my car,wonder if it affects me.
OK, did some research on this. I contacted the daler, said I *could* get a rental car a Hertz "small sedan" in a few days. If I kept my TL home in my garage, I could not drive the car at all. (I cant imagine this being good). He said if I bring it to them, it will just sit on their lot. Sigh.
He did say this only affects cars in high humidity year long and older cars. (at least 5 years old).
Old 03-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverJ
OK, did some research on this. I contacted the daler, said I *could* get a rental car a Hertz "small sedan" in a few days. If I kept my TL home in my garage, I could not drive the car at all. (I cant imagine this being good). He said if I bring it to them, it will just sit on their lot. Sigh.
He did say this only affects cars in high humidity year long and older cars. (at least 5 years old).
From what I've read, they think it only affects cars in high humidity. I'm not sure that actually really know for sure. At any rate, I'm not going to take a chance driving the car. If Acura was positive it wouldn't happen, they would sent out the recall notices closer to when they actually got the parts. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still working on a fix. t've never had an airbag go off, but you never know when it will actually happen. I watched a news video from last year where they mention a guy who got hit with the shrapnel in his car when the airbag went off and it poked his eye out, and cut up his face. Recalled cars with exploding airbags: Is yours on the list? - May. 20, 2015 No thanks. Take the rental. As far as your car sitting on the lot; they have cars sitting on the lot for months. The Certified car I bought recently had been on the lot for months before I bought it.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:19 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Received my recall notice yesterday... Will probably be making arrangements to get a rental.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:14 AM
2nd Gear

Do you have to pay for insurance for the rental?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sankofa
Do you have to pay for insurance for the rental?
Check with your agent, in my case my existing insurance will cover everything except loss of use by the rental company.
The following users liked this post:
sankofa (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JT4
Received my recall notice yesterday... Will probably be making arrangements to get a rental.
I have Liberty Mutual; I'm covered when I'm driving any car. There is this thing about having a replacement car for more than 30 days (which I didn't ask my insurance guy yet); I think you have to return the rental every 30 days and get a new rental agreement for some car insurance ... not sure it applies to everyone though. But you should check with your car insurance.
The following users liked this post:
sankofa (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 12:47 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
Originally Posted by lbotez
got the recall notice from Acura today.

THE DEFECT IN THESE VEHICLES COULD KILL OR INJURE YOU OR OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR VEHICLE.

called the dealer, will be getting a rental in the next few days (I just have to go get it)... they rented an extra parking lot for the cars. They apparently turn them on and drive them around the block every so often. So probably will leave the car with them. After all, it was there for quite awhile before I bought it (Mine is a certified Acura). MEH.

The rental car will NOT be anything special. Oh well. We're all in the same boat.
do NOT under any circumstances leave your car there with them.. if it gets a ding or a scratch they wont cover it..
Old 03-29-2016, 12:49 PM

now the question is... do you have to have a recall letter in order to get the rental or just straight up call them and let them know my car is on the recall list.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Random question for any lawyers present: Does continuing to drive your car after receiving notice of a recall in any way relieve Acura or Takata of their liability for damages if the airbag inflator explodes and hurts you?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
now the question is... do you have to have a recall letter in order to get the rental or just straight up call them and let them know my car is on the recall list.
Just go to the Acura website and confirm your VIN is affected with the recall. Contact your dealer and let them know and they'll confirm the VIN.

Then just go in with your car and they'll confirm it to make its the same car, they'll then set you up with a rental or loaner if they have them.

I've been driving a 2015 Dodge Durango Limited for a little over 3 weeks now and put over 1200 miles on it! Lolz

Just make sure to bring in the indemnity form if you want to keep your car.

Also, I didn't know you're in the 626 area, I live in the 805 area but I frequent Monrovia as my sister lives there!

-DeL
Old 03-29-2016, 01:22 PM

here is what you have to sign for this recall.

I am aware that the Subject Vehicle is subject to an important safety recall notice issued by American
Honda Motor Co., Inc. (“Honda”).
I am aware that Honda has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety may exist in the
Subject Vehicle. In some vehicles, the driver's or passenger's front airbag inflator could produce
excessive internal pressure upon deployment. If an affected airbag deploys, the increased internal
pressure may cause the inflator to rupture and deploy abnormally. In the event of an inflator rupture,
metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material possibly causing serious injury or fatality
to vehicle occupants.
I understand that the Subject Vehicle’s driver's and/or passenger's front airbag inflator is required to be
replaced under the recall described above ("Subject Recall Repair”). I also understand that the
replacement airbag inflator needed to make the Subject Recall Repair is not available at this time. I have
therefore elected to drive a loaner car provided through an authorized Honda dealership
(“Dealership”) until the Subject Recall Repair(s) can be completed.
I also understand that Honda’s policy is that the Dealership retain the Subject Vehicle at the
Dealership until the parts necessary to complete the Subject Recall Repair are available.
I wish to retain the Subject Vehicle in my possession until the parts necessary to complete the Subject
Recall Repair become available. I understand this deviates from Honda's requirement that the
Dealership retain the Subject Vehicle. In order to obtain the consent of Honda and the Dealership to my
retention of the Subject Vehicle until the parts become available for the Subject Recall Repair(s), I
specifically and knowingly make the following agreements:
2 of 2
 I agree to not drive the Subject Vehicle while it is in my possession, custody, or control until the
Subject Recall Repair is completed other than directly to or from the Dealership.
 I agree to not allow the Subject Vehicle to be driven by others, and will ensure that all keys/key
fobs to the vehicle are inaccessible to all others, until the Subject Recall Repair is completed.
 I agree either to drive the Subject Vehicle directly to its place of storage or to allow the Dealership
to tow the Subject Vehicle from the Dealership to my home, at no cost to me.
 I agree either to drive the Subject Vehicle directly to the Dealership or to allow the Dealership to
tow the Subject Vehicle to the Dealership after the Dealership notifies me that the parts
necessary to complete the Subject Recall Repair have become available, at no cost to me.
 I agree to maintain possession of the Subject Vehicle and will not sell, alter, or modify the Subject
Vehicle until such time as the Subject Recall Repair is performed.
 Should I lose possession of the Subject Vehicle before the Subject Recall Repair is performed, I
agree to notify the Dealership immediately, and no later than 24 hours after I have lost
possession of the Subject Vehicle.
 I agree that I will be responsible if I cause the Subject Vehicle to be driven other than directly to or
from the Dealership prior to the performance of the Subject Recall Repair.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by FallenTSX

Also, I didn't know you're in the 626 area, I live in the 805 area but I frequent Monrovia as my sister lives there!

-DeL

dude i saw your car years ago at Tenju's at rosemead plaza for a car meet i think... i remember because you were the only one with a black RJ kit lol
Old 03-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsmith
Random question for any lawyers present: Does continuing to drive your car after receiving notice of a recall in any way relieve Acura or Takata of their liability for damages if the airbag inflator explodes and hurts you?
From my limited law enforcement experience and knowledge with that regard, ignorance isn't a good defense. If you received a recall notice and know that your vehicle is affected, something were to happen because of a defect, they are not 'totally' obligated to render any assistance thereafter. However, since the company is trying to rectify the situation and give options, that is the only thing they can do.

Think of it as a disclaimer. Of course civil lawsuits can and will happen regardless and I mostly know criminal law. So, criminally, they are good to go as there are no malice aforethought .. blah blah blah.

I don't know if this even helps any as I am now getting confused

-DeL
Old 03-29-2016, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
For you guys that are getting rentals and are current XM subscribers: Do any of you know if you can put a freeze on your XM subscription while you're waiting for your car to be repaired? I don't mind calling XM but thought I'd ask here first. No need to pay for the service for 2 or 3 months when you can't use it.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by potmilkz
dude i saw your car years ago at Tenju's at rosemead plaza for a car meet i think... i remember because you were the only one with a black RJ kit lol
Haha!! yea that's right! That was like years ago!

I've been waiting for another AcuraZine Meet but I don't know what happened!

Love your car though! The other day, I was wandering around ebay for some push screws and saw that a company is using my car pictures for their spoiler merchandise! haha

-DeL

Last edited by FallenTSX; 03-29-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Does anyone hear the max amount for rental that Acura will cover? My dealership told me $30, while the lowest I saw here is $35, so I wanted to call the 800 number for recall, but it's been so busy that at one point, I was on hold for like an hour, and I had to give up eventually.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrclemson
Does anyone hear the max amount for rental that Acura will cover? My dealership told me $30, while the lowest I saw here is $35, so I wanted to call the 800 number for recall, but it's been so busy that at one point, I was on hold for like an hour, and I had to give up eventually.
I was given $45/day. But it is also up to the rental company to give you a free upgrade at that price as well. I got mine at Enterprise and they were cool and I could always change vehicles if I wanted

-DeL
Old 03-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Mine is paying $25 a day. But it's a crappy enterprise.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:36 PM
Drifting

So on the alternate transportation form it says the following:

Applicable reimbursement rates apply:
HCVP at $40/day
Rental at $35/day

Does that mean that $35 rental fee can be applied to enterpise/hertz DEALER discounted rate for that particular car rental company ? Or is it based on what the rate is for that car to the general public ?
Old 03-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Received my notice from Acura yesterday. There have been no reports of people taking in their affected cars for an unrelated service and the dealership not allowing them to leave with it, have there?

We have a couple of road trips coming up (about 3,000-3,500 miles in total) over the next two months and I need to take the TL in for a rotation & oil change before those.

I have no desire to be stuck in a crappy rental from Enterprise for these trips, so I'm hoping when I take it in for the oil change they aren't going to say "hey, you have an outstanding recall and you have to take a rental until we have parts, you can't leave here with it."

I *might* be willing to take an Acura service loaner from them instead, but based on my prior dealings with this dealer, I wouldn't hold my breath for them being that helpful. Unfortunately they're the only dealer within 75 miles.

Edit: I wished they were using National - I have Executive status with them so can pick any car on the lot. Enterprise has always been underwhelming with their selection, for sure. A Hyundai Elantra with stains on the fabric seats and the smell of stale cigarettes is not comparable.

Last edited by ckiggins; 03-29-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:45 PM
Instructor

I got a reservation to pick up my rental from Enterprise on Friday in the morning. Apparently they are out of cars until then. Bringing in some more to Enterprise Thursday night. I told the service guy from Acura I wanted a Camry or something, but I'm not getting any KIA... I'll find out what they have when I drop off my TL.

I have to leave the TL at the dealers, unfortunately I don't have any place to park an extra car. We already have one on the street (we have 3 cars, one is my son's Sebring) and he has to move that 3rd car every 2 days to a different spot. However, our Acura dealer is pretty good. The service person told me they will turn it on, and drive it a bit to keep it from rusting... Meh. Not thrilled.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ckiggins
We have a couple of road trips coming up (about 3,000-3,500 miles in total) coming up over the next two months and I need to take the TL in for a rotation & oil change before those.

I have no desire to be stuck in a crappy rental from Enterprise for these trips, so I'm hoping when I take it in for the oil change they aren't going to say "hey, you have to take a rental until we have parts, you can't leave here with it."
You should be able to take it home as long as you don't drive it. They will make you sign a waiver and write down your mileage. If you drive it you are responsible for anything that happens.

As far as Enterprise goes, you will have to bring the car back every 30 days. You can always change the car out (from what I was told) if you don't like the car they give you.

I'm getting mine Friday; will let you all know what I end up with.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:56 PM
4th Gear

Just keep trying.

Hey guys, been following the thread for a while and managed to get a rental pretty easily 2 weeks ago from Enterprise while keeping my TL at home. It was 2015 Jetta but had a bad odor in it so was trying to change it out. Constantly called enterprise branches near me everyday and after about a week of calling, I found one that had a brand new 2016 Infiniti QX60. Only had a few hundred miles on it when I picked it up. So for those out there worried about crappy cars, I would just take it and then keep calling other branches to find an upgrade.

Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall