4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TL Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
I just took my TL into Acura today, I think they said something about Honda corporate funding the rental so I had to get the rental through Enterprise. Was hoping I could get a loaner from the Acura dealer, but oh well. I'm in an Impala now but will be swapping it for either a CTS or a Grand Cherokee on Monday. My dealer told me to bring my car in with no hesitation, glad I didn't have to argue them on it!
Old 03-12-2016, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Currently at the dealership and everything is good to go. I was hoping to get in a loaner car but they are driving me to enterprise. Hope I get something equivalent to the tL.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Got a Hyundai Tucson as a rental.... Enterprise said that's the best they could get me.... Oh well, it's not too terrible I guess. I was expecting to get something like CTS or MKZ...
Old 03-12-2016, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I had a choice of a Nissan Note or Ford Focus. I took the Focus. Acura is only paying $33 a day tops. Positive side to it is that I'm saving money on gas and wear/tear on the tL.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear others are being taken care of. My story is a little bit different. It's been more than a week since I called Acura headquarters and was assigned a case number. Was told a case manager would call me. Nothing yet. I've called about five more times since then and just keep getting the run around.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cwh82
Glad to hear others are being taken care of. My story is a little bit different. It's been more than a week since I called Acura headquarters and was assigned a case number. Was told a case manager would call me. Nothing yet. I've called about five more times since then and just keep getting the run around.
I called every day for a week and left a voicemail with my case manager. I finally called the main recall number again and said I wasn't getting anywhere with my case manager and asked if there was another manager I could be assigned to. The person who answered that call got my case manager on the line while I waited. From there, the case manager called my local dealer in a 3-way call and I was set up with an appointment to get a loaner car in 15 minutes.

Last edited by sehale; 03-15-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: word omitted
Old 03-15-2016, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sehale
I called every day for a week and left a voicemail with my case manager. I finally called the main recall number again and said I wasn't getting anywhere with my case manager and asked if there was another manager I could be assigned to. The person who answered that call got my case manager on the line while I waited. From there, the case manager called my local dealer in a 3-way call and I was set up with an appointment to get a loaner car in 15 minutes.
I've called the main number, I've called the supposed extension of my case manager, and the direct line to her that was given to me. Nothing. One of the times I called the main number, the rep actually said to me, "I'm looking at her desk, she's not here." The case manager's extension that was given to me was a wrong number as well as the direct line. I called the main number again this afternoon and the rep told me they are not allowed to give out extensions.

Last edited by cwh82; 03-15-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I called the main number again this afternoon and the rep told me they are not allowed to give out extensions.[/QUOTE]

never heard of that before....sounds like a bs excuse keep reaching out
Old 03-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by real_mckoy
I called the main number again this afternoon and the rep told me they are not allowed to give out extensions.

never heard of that before....sounds like a bs excuse keep reaching out[/QUOTE]

be polite but -

ask for lead / sup

refuse a call back later

(as no one has called you back yet)

"will hold for sup"
Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My fiance and I purchased two TL's after she was in a bad accident in a Nissan Altima (completely totaled - hospitalized for 2 weeks - physical therapy 3x a day for the past year). So we got the TLs for safety.

I don't know about you guys but I want a rental that is equally if not safer than the TL. My local dealership told me to take it up with ACR. Plus leaving my two perfectly clean TLs on an exposed lot 50 miles from my house to sit for 6-8 months is NOT OK in my book.

I've been waiting since February for someone to get back to me..I've called and emailed about a dozen times. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a Enterprise rental car since Feb. 16 one month today. Never had any issue with ACR, was able to set me up within a week.
First two weeks: 2016 Chrysler 200 non tech (exchanged due to two way seat adjustment)
Second car: 2016 Chevy Malibu loaded (exchanged due to not liking the car at all)
Third car: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee loaded (non issue at this time/comparable)
According to my local Enterprise I can exchange it every week or keep it but had to bring it to them before the 30th day for inspection and contract renewal.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:41 AM
Advanced

Finally contacted by my local dealership regarding a rental. They told me they are doing it through Hertz and not Enterprise though. Guess, it's not a big deal. Just seems odd that Honda/Acura specifically mentioned a partnership with Enterprise. We'll see what car they give me.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Queens, NY - Got off the phone with my local dealer. No hassle. Made an appointment for this Saturday to pick up a rental with the option to leave the car at my driveway. Just gotta sign papers and bring some documents.

Question for those leaving their cars at home. What steps will you be doing to keep the car in good shape? I can turn the engine on from time to time to keep the fluids going but we can't drive it and I don't want my rotors to rust.

Last edited by omgitsspooky; 03-17-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:39 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4

And now the next problem. He said the other issue Acura is having now is with Enterprise, so this could be a reason some dealers aren't offering anyone cars. From what I have been told usually Enterprise gives the customer a rental and at the end of the rental period Enterprise bills Acura, seems easy enough.

However, now Enterprise is requesting payment directly from the customer and will bill the customer as they go. So basically Enterprise wants a credit card from the customer and they bill you weekly or bi-weekly for the next 3 to 5 months while you're waiting for parts. Once your car is repaired you submit the bill to Acura so they can reimburse you.

Acura is saying "no way", not only should the customer not be charged directly, but the customers would not be happy doing this. In addition Acura is concerned because when all is said and done some customers could be waiting months to get reimbursed just due to the sheer volume of rentals.

So now Acura and Enterprise are trying to figure out how to handle this. My SA mentioned that he has heard of customers (not from my dealer) being asked to return the rental after Enterprise enforced this policy.
Originally Posted by cwh82
Finally contacted by my local dealership regarding a rental. They told me they are doing it through Hertz and not Enterprise though. Guess, it's not a big deal. Just seems odd that Honda/Acura specifically mentioned a partnership with Enterprise. We'll see what car they give me.
^^ I wonder if this has anything to do with what I posted above several weeks ago.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Reading this thread makes me realize that I'm in the minority, in terms of my approach to this. This might be partly due to the fact that the airbag issue has never resulted in any injuries in Canada, likely owing in part to the climate.

In any event, I got my notice...but I'm just going to call the dealer and make arrangements. And if that means waiting until August, then I'll wait for August. I'm having troubling finding a reason to make a big deal out of this.

I suppose I could ask for a loaner, but honestly, I don't want to drive a loaner. Not because I don't want my car sitting idle for a few months; let's all be honest here...if anyone here was called into the boss's office and asked to take the next 6 months travelling the Caribbean assisting on the SI Swimsuit photoshoot, our cars would be parked in airport parking before he finished the sentence. All a matter of perspective.

No, I don't need a loaner simply because, unless they were putting me in something very awesome, it's not the car I chose.

I think it's easy to make this airbag thing seem like a bigger deal than it is. At least for those of us that don't live in hot, humid climates, where the issues seem to be centred.

For those that do live in those climates...yeah, you're likely a goner. Good luck to you.
The following 2 users liked this post by sockpuppet:
'99-6SIC6 (03-17-2016), andysinnh (03-18-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:46 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Not make a big deal? There's a possibility of shrapnel in our airbags. I know none of the deaths have been Acuras, but I'd prefer not to take the chance of metal being in my airbag and slicing my throat open. Sure, it's very unlikely that our airbags are defective, but you never know. I don't see the problem with getting a rental car..Acura recalled my car, not me. Not sure why some of you guys have restrictions on your rentals though? That sucks! Enterprise let me choose whichever car I want.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
ill be going next week.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by atl7
Not make a big deal? There's a possibility of shrapnel in our airbags. I know none of the deaths have been Acuras, but I'd prefer not to take the chance of metal being in my airbag and slicing my throat open. Sure, it's very unlikely that our airbags are defective, but you never know. I don't see the problem with getting a rental car..Acura recalled my car, not me. Not sure why some of you guys have restrictions on your rentals though? That sucks! Enterprise let me choose whichever car I want.
I wasn't suggesting the problem be ignored, and again, my attitude is certainly skewed by the fact that in Alberta, the climate would make it extremely unlikely that this will be a problem. I'm simply suggesting that for me, I choose not to freak out over how fast this is being done, and what kind of car I can get in the meantime. It just really doesn't seem worth the stress. I might think differently if I was some place like Florida, but then again, in that case, I think my bigger concern would be "what the hell am I doing living in Florida?"

Yes, it's possible that shrapnel could kill me. Lightning could kill me too, but I'm not going to let that keep me inside. And while the airbag stuff is a "controllable" risk (lightning, not so much), I'll just deal with it in due course. I just wonder how many grey hairs are being created for something that will, in the end, be a minor "blip" in the ownership of a great car. But I certainly wouldn't seek to deny someone those grey hairs.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kain1009
So I went today. They are willing to give me a car to drive from enterprise . If not, I get a TLX from them . Only happened after they saw the liability forms..
can you link me ot the liability forms so i can show my dealer if he refuses to give me a loaner.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
I might think differently if I was some place like Florida, but then again, in that case, I think my bigger concern would be "what the hell am I doing living in Florida?"

I worked there for 4 months and could not agree more!
Old 03-17-2016, 02:57 PM

so i called, they did offer me a loaner but refuse to let me keep my car in my possession.. waiting for GM to call me back.. but i think ill work with another dealer instead.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by potmilkz
so i called, they did offer me a loaner but refuse to let me keep my car in my possession.. waiting for GM to call me back.. but i think ill work with another dealer instead.
It's likely a form of pyramid scheme...they'll give you a car, but they need yours, since that's the next guy's loaner.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Reading this thread makes me realize that I'm in the minority, in terms of my approach to this. This might be partly due to the fact that the airbag issue has never resulted in any injuries in Canada, likely owing in part to the climate.

In any event, I got my notice...but I'm just going to call the dealer and make arrangements. And if that means waiting until August, then I'll wait for August. I'm having troubling finding a reason to make a big deal out of this.

I suppose I could ask for a loaner, but honestly, I don't want to drive a loaner. Not because I don't want my car sitting idle for a few months; let's all be honest here...if anyone here was called into the boss's office and asked to take the next 6 months travelling the Caribbean assisting on the SI Swimsuit photoshoot, our cars would be parked in airport parking before he finished the sentence. All a matter of perspective.

No, I don't need a loaner simply because, unless they were putting me in something very awesome, it's not the car I chose.

I think it's easy to make this airbag thing seem like a bigger deal than it is. At least for those of us that don't live in hot, humid climates, where the issues seem to be centred.

For those that do live in those climates...yeah, you're likely a goner. Good luck to you.
Very good point of view here people, take note. ZERO incidents resulting in injury on these new inflators.

-greg
Old 03-18-2016, 07:59 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

I get it, I understand what your saying but here is my perspective.. If I had to travel for any reason I am NOT leaving one of my cars parked in an airport parking lot for a couple of days no less several months. I would get a ride or take a cab to the airport, but that's just me.

I don't have a problem with the TL sitting idle for several months at home. I have a problem with it sitting on my dealer, or any dealers lot for several months. IMO too much risk of it getting damaged. Since my dealer requires me to leave the TL with them, I decided on not getting a loaner or rental for now.

At the end of the day everyone should do what they're comfortable with.

Last edited by JT4; 03-18-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
For those keeping their cars at home - Are you allowed to drive it around the block a few times just to keep the fluids going and tires from getting flat spots?
Old 03-18-2016, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Have any of you received actual recall notices from Acura regarding the airbag crisis? I have not and only discovered the issue from reading about it here on AZ.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:07 AM
Advanced

I'm driving in a rental right now with my TL sitting at home. It's supposed to snow this weekend here in the northeast. Can drive my TL in the snow instead of my rental? Or will that void my agreements, like the retention agreement I signed?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I was told it wouldnt be an issue. To quote the dealership "just dont bring the car back with over 200 miles driven"

Originally Posted by omgitsspooky
For those keeping their cars at home - Are you allowed to drive it around the block a few times just to keep the fluids going and tires from getting flat spots?
The following users liked this post:
omgitsspooky (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
I put some cushion on the actual mileage of mine when dealership called me and filled out the form through phone! I pre-planed this since I knew it would take at least 4 months to get the parts

Last edited by james21_h; 03-18-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:16 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by a35tl
Have any of you received actual recall notices from Acura regarding the airbag crisis? I have not and only discovered the issue from reading about it here on AZ.
I haven't received anything yet. I had heard about the massive Takata recall in the news like most of us, but I first heard about it affecting the TL on AZ. Actually I don't think I have heard it mentioned anywhere but here that Acura's are affected.
a35tl (03-18-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 07:48 AM
10th Gear

I just received my 2 air bag recall letters today. I live in the greater Toronto Hamilton area in Ontario, Canada. The letter States that the parts will not be ready until late Fall 2016.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:40 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also received the inflator recall notice this week. Already picked-up a loner, Mazda 6 (4 cyl). Car stored in my garage after signing a waiver.
Acura pays $45/day for loaners from what I was told.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:36 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
I'll take the risk and continue to enjoy my cars ('14 TL and '16 RDX). They aren't daily drivers so they are only driven on the weekends. The TL only during spring and summer. For some of you, it's been 7 years with no incident and now everyone is worried about a few months. I understand there is the risk factor but just not enough to scare me. Rentals are crap, I'll just drive my 2000 Honda Accord. I would never leave my car at the dealer unless it's parked in the shop.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
I'll take the risk and continue to enjoy my cars ('14 TL and '16 RDX). They aren't daily drivers so they are only driven on the weekends. The TL only during spring and summer. For some of you, it's been 7 years with no incident and now everyone is worried about a few months. I understand there is the risk factor but just not enough to scare me. Rentals are crap, I'll just drive my 2000 Honda Accord. I would never leave my car at the dealer unless it's parked in the shop.
Your TL is waaay too nice to leave anywhere than inside a garage.

-greg
carbonTSEX (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
We have 2 Acuras. I saw the news blurb about the airbags awhile back on the telly news; then looked up my husband's VIN number on Acura's site, and saw his car (Acura 2013 TL) was affected. Oddly enough, my Acura (a 2002 TL) had the airbag replaced a year ago, apparently for the same thing. We just received a recall in the mail and took it in. There were no details about "shrapnell" or anything on that one. Seems to me that Acura has known about this for a couple of years now....

We bought the 2013 Acura recently; now it has to go in for an airbag replacement, but lo and behold, there are no replacement airbags to do the job. They are making them now. Supposedly.

I saw that bit about not driving the car until it gets fixed, but that's just bullshite if you ask me...

I called the dealer and he tells me not to worry about it until this summer... No mention of a loaner car (for 4-6 months, I gather)...

Some of you are actually getting loaners??? How is that possible??? That's gonna cost a fortune to Acura. And then what to do with your own car???

I mean, how many people have gotten injured with this shrapnell bag anyway?

The dealer is shrugging it off like it's no big deal.

What to do?
Old 03-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Cruisin'

I just bought my 2013 certified pre-owned TL in December. It's part of the recall. I've decided to keep driving it--I'll take it in when they have the parts available. But my feeling is realistically, the risk is very very low. First I'd need to be involved in an accident that was severe enough to deploy the airbags...which in itself is unlikely. Then, the airbag inflater would need to malfunction--which from what I've read happens a small percentage of the time. On top of that, the age of the airbag plays a key role in the likelyhood of malfunction. So, I'm continuing to drive my new to me TL and it's not worrying me.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dordale
I just bought my 2013 certified pre-owned TL in December. It's part of the recall. I've decided to keep driving it--I'll take it in when they have the parts available. But my feeling is realistically, the risk is very very low. First I'd need to be involved in an accident that was severe enough to deploy the airbags...which in itself is unlikely. Then, the airbag inflater would need to malfunction--which from what I've read happens a small percentage of the time. On top of that, the age of the airbag plays a key role in the likelyhood of malfunction. So, I'm continuing to drive my new to me TL and it's not worrying me.
We bought our 2013 certified pre-owned TL in January. I wish I could feel as confident as you. I know the odds are small, but I don't like waiting.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I also have cushion on the actual mileage on my car from what

I reported. Just an update but i brought the loaner they gave

me back in February for a one month check up and to extend

the loaner service. It took like 60 seconds all they did was

reprint a new loaner agreement and extend the due date to

another month. I asked the SA for an update on parts

arrival. He said that those who have the loaners should start

getting called in by the end of the month and the part were

a rush ordered for customers with loaners verses customers who are driving their tls. I don't know if

this is a sales pitch, contradiction or if he was telling the

truth..I should've asked him for a tracking number lol...

because they told me initially late summer. What I did realize is that when i went to the dealer

there were no TLs in sight I do not know where they put them probably in storage.

Last edited by real_mckoy; 03-21-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:45 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
For those Canadian TL owners, did you have to ask for a loaner or rental or did they offer it up when you mentioned your cars were on the recall notice?
Anytime I've gotten a loaner, it has been an ILX and I don't want to be driving one of those for a few months.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by real_mckoy
I also have cushion on the actual mileage on my car from what I reported. Just an update but i brought the loaner they gave me back in February for a one month check up and to extend the loaner service. It took like 60 seconds all they did was reprint a new loaner agreement and extend the due date to another month. I asked the SA for an update on parts arrival. He said that those who have the loaners should start getting called in by the end of the month and the part were a rush ordered for customers with loaners verses customers who are driving their tls. I don't know if this is a sales pitch, contradiction or if he was telling the truth..I should've asked him for a tracking number lol...because they told me initially late summer. What I did realize is that when i went to the dealer there were no TLs in sight I do not know where they put them probably in storage.
Sounds like it might be worth it to ask for a loaner just to speed up the actual recall being done.

Right now I have a loaner from the shop who's fixing my Acura 2002 TL (got the tire/rim stolen off the front). We have two Acuras. I haven't received the actual notice from Honda/Acura yet for the 2013 TL. Though the 2013 TL has the recall listed against its VIN number on the Acura site. I heard that the notices are supposed to be sent out by the end of March. Anyone get a loaner without the recall letter?

The other thing is, the Acura 2002 TL, I think we had an airbag recall for that car last year, and it was done. Though can't quite remember exactly, because we always take our Acuras the dealer for work. I also read that they may have to do a second recall on those that were done last year .... Also read that they are fixing the cars who are in places like Florida, Louisiana and where it's hot and humid. And the older cars first (since they are the ones to most like explode).

This is driving me crazy!!! All this drama over cars.

Also, we actually bought the newer Certified 2013 TL this February. Now there isn't a TL on the lot for sale. I read they can't sell them until they've been repaired if they have the airbag recall. Really makes me mad, because I feel that they already knew about it at the time we actually bought it.

Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall