TL Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life
See attachments for the latest information.

anything (links?) about keeping your Honda parked (not at the dealer) while you have a loan car?

not much luck looking at Honda forums

(would not want to leave a car (honda or acura) at a dealer for several months)

as one of my kids has a Honda Fit
Old 02-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 14sh-awd
i called the local dealer and spoke to a friend who works there he said its safe to drive the car no issues but its only a precaution honda / acura is taking so all they are really going to do is replace that metal piece with a plastic one just to make sure if it deploys the metal wont come up and hit anyone in the face and cause damage to anyone

?

Safety risk:
In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material possibly causing serious injury or fatality to you or others in the vehicle. Past ruptures like this have killed and injured vehicle drivers.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Question for those who have an Acura loaner car or enterprise. What documents did you have to bring? The regular license, registration, and insurance?

If it's an enterprise car did you just go there or does Acura give like a dealership code for you?

Last, did you take your personal vehicle off of your insurance company? Or is it required to still have for any loaner cars you are driving?
Old 02-20-2016, 04:56 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
In my case Acura gave me a business card with a code and enterprise used the code for billing. I had to show enterprise my license and proof of insurance. I did talk to my insurance agent and he said that my policy will cover me in the rental car just as if it were my own car. If I dropped coverage while the car is in storage, I would not be covered in the rental car.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:03 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
anything (links?) about keeping your Honda parked (not at the dealer) while you have a loan car?

not much luck looking at Honda forums

(would not want to leave a car (honda or acura) at a dealer for several months)

as one of my kids has a Honda Fit
See attachments for the latest information on Honda vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
crxb (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EE4Life
See attachments for the latest information on Honda vehicles.

appreciate you finding / sharing this information !
Old 02-20-2016, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by emanon256
In my case Acura gave me a business card with a code and enterprise used the code for billing. I had to show enterprise my license and proof of insurance. I did talk to my insurance agent and he said that my policy will cover me in the rental car just as if it were my own car. If I dropped coverage while the car is in storage, I would not be covered in the rental car.
Awesome! This helps a lot. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2016, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
?

Safety risk:
In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material possibly causing serious injury or fatality to you or others in the vehicle. Past ruptures like this have killed and injured vehicle drivers.
And the details behind this include age, humidity and heat. All of the reported cases have been on vehicles that are 9-10 years old, and reside in areas of high humidity and/or high heat. As such, Honda/Acura are replacing those airbags first when the parts become available. But if you're pragmatic about this, a vehicle that's 5 yrs old or less, and lives in an area that's not high humidity or high heat, is likely not going to ever run into this. In another 5 years? Maybe. The "stop sale" on the used vehicles is likely because you can't track where they've lived in their lives, and if from the south or southwest, there could be risk of the breakdown of the inflation materials and cause a too-strong explosion (which causes the metal to break apart and cause the issue).

I live in NH, have a 2012 TL SH-AWD and a 2015 RDX AWD that have never been out of this region. For me, balancing the extremely low risk vs the parking of my vehicles and getting a crappy rental that's likely less safe has been an easy choice for me - including my wife who's paranoid about everything.

Final point - in talking with the service manager at our local dealership, who has worked closely with Acura corporate and other dealers in the area. They are letting customers choose their plan of action, similar to the above conversations. But for their employees who have dealer-supported leases of these vehicles - they're all keeping and driving their cars. To me that's the tell-tale sign. If the employees are keeping their personal-use cars and not getting rentals or other alternate transportation, that's another point to look at.

andy
Old 02-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by andysinnh
And the details behind this include age, humidity and heat. All of the reported cases have been on vehicles that are 9-10 years old, and reside in areas of high humidity and/or high heat. As such, Honda/Acura are replacing those airbags first when the parts become available. But if you're pragmatic about this, a vehicle that's 5 yrs old or less, and lives in an area that's not high humidity or high heat, is likely not going to ever run into this. In another 5 years? Maybe. The "stop sale" on the used vehicles is likely because you can't track where they've lived in their lives, and if from the south or southwest, there could be risk of the breakdown of the inflation materials and cause a too-strong explosion (which causes the metal to break apart and cause the issue).

I live in NH, have a 2012 TL SH-AWD and a 2015 RDX AWD that have never been out of this region. For me, balancing the extremely low risk vs the parking of my vehicles and getting a crappy rental that's likely less safe has been an easy choice for me - including my wife who's paranoid about everything.

Final point - in talking with the service manager at our local dealership, who has worked closely with Acura corporate and other dealers in the area. They are letting customers choose their plan of action, similar to the above conversations. But for their employees who have dealer-supported leases of these vehicles - they're all keeping and driving their cars. To me that's the tell-tale sign. If the employees are keeping their personal-use cars and not getting rentals or other alternate transportation, that's another point to look at.

andy

good points - I agree depending on what alternative vehicle maybe provided

your TL is probably a safer car
Old 02-21-2016, 08:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know, Including Full List of Affected Vehicles
Old 02-21-2016, 12:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dealer shuttled me over to the nearest Enterprise (roughly 2 blocks away) with a piece of paper. They gave me choice of any car available. Unfortunately it is a pretty small location and it came down to a Chrysler 300, Kia Forte, or a Nissan Frontier with 500 miles. I picked the Frontier. Sure, it doesn't have all the creature comforts of my TL, but I can use it this summer for camping, towing a boat, etc. all while saving the wear & tear on my car. I supplied my dealer with the indemnification agreement of which I printed off here and brought my car home for long term storage.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
The Chrysler 300 is a pretty underrated car. Essentially, one or two versions ago MB E-class platform and the modern Pentastar V6 Chrysler motor. We just rented one of the weekend - not a bad ride.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Before taking any rental, I'd talk to my own insurance company first. Insurance differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and I know that in many places in the states, there is no minimum.

Here in Alberta, one's own insurance will cover a rental, so long as it is a "temporary replacement vehicle"...so in other words, the rental is because your own vehicle isn't available. If an Alberta driver were to take a rental, and then store his own vehicle, I suspect he would lose coverage, and would have to take the rental company's policy.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
My dealer didn't offer me shit. Went in for A1 service this morning, asked them about the recall; they gave me the same rundown excuse about "we won't have the parts until summer" that I've been hearing from anyone.

All they did was register my car for the recall.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I randomly stopped into a local Acura dealer last week and inquired about a SH-AWD TL for a friend when they informed me that there was the stop sale, and then also said that I really should not be driving my car (2013 TL-Tech). Over the past week I have been following this thread, talking to my dealership, and talking to Acura customer service. The dealership where I serviced my 2013 TL-Tech is offering to take in recall vehicles and provide an Enterprise vehicle. They do allow for the TL's to go back with you if the indemnification form is provided, but said they would require photo documentation that vehicle is not being driven and that if mileage accumulates that all rental car cost coverage would be forfeited. They also said that if the car goes back to your residence, things like rusty brakes, dead batteries, and tire issues would not be their problem. Hence, she was advising to leave the car at the dealership. She did stress that the car would literally be sitting in the back of their lot though and they would not be touching it for any sort of maintenance in the interim.

Acura customer service told me that the dealerships should be providing enterprise coverage in the $35-45 a day range. My local enterprise said $45-50 a day should cover a Cadillac XTS, BMW 5 series, Infiniti FX, Tahoe, etc. (really any car). Acura customer service also said that if the daily costs are more than the $45, it should be easy to get approved by working with them beyond the dealership. I asked the case manager about car sitting issues like dead batteries and flat spot tires after the 6 month term and they said they would take care of it on a case by case basis, but that they will make it right.

Lastly, I talked to my insurance (Geico) and they said the rental would be covered for the full 6 months as long as I keep my premium paid. And that it does not matter what kind of rental I get (which is mostly likely going to be the BMW 5 series).

The dealership service person said it is really up to the consumer if they want to get the car in for storage. During our discussion, she was very understanding that there is a risk and said many people have been dropping off their vehicles.

It looks like later this week my TL will be going dormant for a few months.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by emanon256
They do not cover indirect damage though, guranteed. Be aware of that. That's mostly loss of use. You wreck the rental, the rental company will charge you the daily rate, plus any admin costs while it's in the shop.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:42 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ressling
My dealer didn't offer me shit. Went in for A1 service this morning, asked them about the recall; they gave me the same rundown excuse about "we won't have the parts until summer" that I've been hearing from anyone.

All they did was register my car for the recall.
Contact Acura Client Relations, they will assist you getting an alternative transportation. Also, you can leave your car at the dealership or by signing the Vehicle Retention Acknowledgement you can store it either way. Acura will give you a Case No.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Before taking any rental, I'd talk to my own insurance company first. Insurance differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and I know that in many places in the states, there is no minimum.

Here in Alberta, one's own insurance will cover a rental, so long as it is a "temporary replacement vehicle"...so in other words, the rental is because your own vehicle isn't available. If an Alberta driver were to take a rental, and then store his own vehicle, I suspect he would lose coverage, and would have to take the rental company's policy.
Called my insurance and spoke to their underwriter, I added an additional coverage. It's called Non-Owned car coverage while I'm driving the Enterprise rental vehicle. $5 extra added to my premium (peace of mind).
Old 02-23-2016, 07:50 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by DidiBob
If you could let us know the outcome of not having to leave your car on the lot, that would be huge. I am unnerved to say the least. On the plus side, Ill have time to get that pinstripe done finally.
I sent my SA the documents that EE4Life posted late Friday and he got back to me yesterday. He thanked me for the documents because they haven't seen them, and told me upper management reviewed them.

He told me that I can continue to drive my TL, but if I choose I could drop off my car and receive a rental. But my car would have stay at the dealer for 3 to 5 months. He was very apologetic, and told me he knows I will never go for this but wanted to give me the option.

He said that upper management at the dealership is not allowing anyone to receive a loaner or rental while keeping their own vehicle in their possession. I told him that it makes no sense since the documents directly from Acura give the customer a choice of keeping their vehicle while still receiving a rental. He agreed and told me to contact the dealer directly if I wanted because he doesn't have the authority to do anything else, which makes sense. After-all this guy has been great over the years, and I do understand there is only so much he can do.

I did ask him again if it would be possible for the airbags to be disabled until the parts come in. The reason I asked is because in some cases Toyota is disabling the airbags until the parts come in, and placing a sticker on the dashboard stating the airbags are currently not working.

He said he would look into this.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by vbgregg
My dealer said the fix is simple and should only take 5-10 minutes.

Gregg
Thanks good to know.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Canadian experience here. I spoke with my local service manager and although it's obvious they've been told not to say the car is safe to drive he said it's at my discretion. He said if I call the Acura recall hotline they will set me up with a rental but to be honest I think I'm just going to drive the car. It seems like way more trouble to go through all the BS around getting a rental and worrying about having the car sit for that long. He also said not a single failure has been reported in Canada. This seems to be affecting older cars in humid climates and my car is neither of those, nor does it even sit in the sun other than when it's driven.

I thought about just trading the car in and upgrading to a TLX, but my TL is paid off with low mileage and not much about the TLX excites me enough to warrant making the trade.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
Canadian experience here. I spoke with my local service manager and although it's obvious they've been told not to say the car is safe to drive he said it's at my discretion. He said if I call the Acura recall hotline they will set me up with a rental but to be honest I think I'm just going to drive the car. It seems like way more trouble to go through all the BS around getting a rental and worrying about having the car sit for that long. He also said not a single failure has been reported in Canada. This seems to be affecting older cars in humid climates and my car is neither of those, nor does it even sit in the sun other than when it's driven.

I thought about just trading the car in and upgrading to a TLX, but my TL is paid off with low mileage and not much about the TLX excites me enough to warrant making the trade.
If it helps....

1. The TLX I'm driving is quick and extremely responsive
2. On the downside, its a downgrade in space, especially the rear seats
Old 02-23-2016, 06:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so i called around and it took 3 different dealerships before I found one who would provide an Acura loaner vs rental car company vehicle

i simply walked in, gave them some info and i drove off with a MDX

I'm keeping my TL; guess i got a free loaner for a few months!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We Just picked up a Brand new TLX loaner today, they didnt even mention anything about giving us an enterprise rental. Will be keeping my 2010 TL 6spd stored at my house.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
I am pretty pissed off right now dealing with this...

I called corporate on Monday and they told me I'd get a loaner and to call my closest dealership to schedule it. I call the dealership and they say I cannot store my car in my own garage.... Even if I give them my keys and let them document the miles.... They said I had to leave it outside for 6 months even though I garage it everyday.

Then they went on to give me an enterprise minivan and told me they will not be paying for an equivalent car to my TL... I got it switched out for a Hyundai Santa Fe which is much better but still not an Acura.

They called me back and said I can pick up my car because they won't have the parts until late summer... (I already knew that you idiots we discussed it at the dealership) and went on to tell me to drive my car because this only happens in humid climates.... I then asked why there was a stop sale on used versions of my car if it wasn't dangerous and they had absolutely no answer just a stutter. I basically reamed them out and was disgusted that I knew more about their recall than they did and that the advice they were giving me (and other customers) was dangerous and ill advised.

I called corporate and they are assigning a liaison to me to mediate between me and the dealer. My brother in law is a good attorney so I am highly considering just suing them.

If they want my car to rot outside in a parking lot for half a year and not even try to make me whole by giving me a comparable vehicle then I feel what I will be losing is worth taking legal action. If they don't pay for a comparable vehicle then they owe us reimbursement for the difference. They can't go around just screwing us and telling us we won't be made whole when it is 100% their problem not ours.

They treated me like I pulled into the dealership with a rusted out 1991 integra that had 300,000 miles on it.

I'm not putting up with this garbage for much longer
Old 02-24-2016, 06:46 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I returned my loaner last night.
You cannot drive the car or you might be liable to pay for the loaner times how many days you have it. Forget it. My 2009 TL was built in 2008....sold it March of 2015 making it 7 yrs old. My car is 4. Im fine. Be careful those of you who have your car home and want to roll it around the block.

If you're in the northern states, you're safe. Drive your TL.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Went to the dealer yesterday to do my BELT TENSIONR PULLEY and while i was there i see them do the Takata Airbag Recall on a older model and it really only took him 10 minutes and also i was wrong when i said on my other post it was a plastic piece its actually another metal Inflator... I also asked him is it ok to drive the car he said no problem so im driving my car until the parts come in in june
Old 02-24-2016, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by DidiBob
If it helps....

1. The TLX I'm driving is quick and extremely responsive
2. On the downside, its a downgrade in space, especially the rear seats
I already had one as a loaner before and while I like some things better than my TL:
- less road noise
- better tech
- a bit quicker
- folding rear seats

The car had a jerky transmission and didn't have the wide buttoned down feeling I get in my TL. I really didn't see it worth the extra cash to upgrade yet, now if they had a Type-S version maybe I'd think differently.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Im on the list. Dealer told me they know about it and are waiting on the parts to come in. My car was made with CA VIN. Not sure if that's the cause. Thought I would throw it out.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:18 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My 2010 TL SH AWD VIN was on the list so I called my local dealer on 2/18 and they were aware of the recall but said they had no information about rental cars. So I called the recall number at Acura HQ 888-234-2138 and was assigned a case number and case manager. The case manager called back that day but I missed the call. I called back her direct line every day between then and yesterday and left a message every morning with my cell number. No call back. Yesterday I called the main Acura number again and was assured the case manager would call me back that day. Nope. Called the case manager this morning and left another voice mail. This afternoon I called the main number back and this time they connected me to her. She was very pleasant and apologetic and said it has been hectic. She called my dealer and we had a brief 3-way call. At first they said I would have to leave my car "for a few months" but then I asked if I could keep it at home. She said there was a waiver I could sign to do that. The dealer stated they would have a rental car for me Monday morning at 8 AM (they were a little curt about it). So I will be there at 8 and see what transpires.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Be sure to push if you dont like the rental, we should be receiving at least a full size. Im picking up either a charger or malibu this weekend and most likely will take a rogue for my wife.

Originally Posted by sehale
My 2010 TL SH AWD VIN was on the list so I called my local dealer on 2/18 and they were aware of the recall but said they had no information about rental cars. So I called the recall number at Acura HQ 888-234-2138 and was assigned a case number and case manager. The case manager called back that day but I missed the call. I called back her direct line every day between then and yesterday and left a message every morning with my cell number. No call back. Yesterday I called the main Acura number again and was assured the case manager would call me back that day. Nope. Called the case manager this morning and left another voice mail. This afternoon I called the main number back and this time they connected me to her. She was very pleasant and apologetic and said it has been hectic. She called my dealer and we had a brief 3-way call. At first they said I would have to leave my car "for a few months" but then I asked if I could keep it at home. She said there was a waiver I could sign to do that. The dealer stated they would have a rental car for me Monday morning at 8 AM (they were a little curt about it). So I will be there at 8 and see what transpires.
The following users liked this post:
sehale (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As of today there are still no air bag available for any of the newer Acuras
Old 02-28-2016, 07:02 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2 rental cars

My wife and I have a 2013 RDX with Tech and a 2014 TL with Tech (so I am cross-posting in both the RDX and TL forums). Both are affected by the airbag recall. The service manager would not give us Acura loaners, but he did approve two Enterprise rentals, supposedly up to $45 per day. He confirmed what others have said -- it would probably be at least 4 months. That's a lot of money for Acura to shell out. In our case, it would be 120 days x $90/day = $10,800.

There was an Enterprise office a block from the dealer and the people there were great. They gave us a loaded 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a fairly plain 2016 Nissan Altima. When they mentioned the possible vehicles, I figured the Jeep would be my last choice, but it had a lot more features than the other cars, so I decided to try it. Though I probably won't use them, it has several features that our Acuras do not, such as remote start, heated steering wheel, and vents to the rear seats. On the other hand, there are things I miss, such as a CD player (even though it has a fancy audio system), buttons for the heated seats, and buttons for synchronizing the dual climate controls. I do not like having to go through the touch screen menus for everything. In my opinion, it's nice to have dedicated buttons for some things.

The Nissan does not have nearly as many features as our Acuras, such as sun roof, dual climate controls, heated seats, navigation, memory seats, power passenger seat, and lots of other tech, but at least it has a backup camera and keyless entry/push button start (and it was nearly new -- still had plastic on the floor). Overall, we are satisfied with the rental vehicles, though we will be happy to get back to our Acuras.

By the way, the dealer let us keep our Acuras at home, after signing the waiver. I did not want to leave them at the dealer. The whole process was fairly smooth and painless, given that we decided to play it safe and use alternative vehicles.

Gregg
Old 02-29-2016, 08:20 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

OK, so here is the latest info I rec'd, everyone take it for what it's worth because as we have seen, there is a lot of different info floating around.

I spoke to my dealer in person and from what they have been told Acura is voluntarily replacing the Takata inflators even though some VIN's aren't affected.

He stressed it is not a mandatory recall, but Acura wants nothing to do (rightfully so) with these parts in their vehicles. I told him that I could be wrong, but was under the impression that this was the case with the other manufacturers also.

I was given the impression it was safe to drive the TL until the parts come in. He did say that if I wanted a rental and keep my car at home I should contact ACR so that they can contact dealer management. From what he said if a customer wants a rental while retaining possession of their vehicle ACR will not allow a dealer to dictate what a customer will be and will not be allowed to due in this situation.

And now the next problem. He said the other issue Acura is having now is with Enterprise, so this could be a reason some dealers aren't offering anyone cars. From what I have been told usually Enterprise gives the customer a rental and at the end of the rental period Enterprise bills Acura, seems easy enough.

However, now Enterprise is requesting payment directly from the customer and will bill the customer as they go. So basically Enterprise wants a credit card from the customer and they bill you weekly or bi-weekly for the next 3 to 5 months while you're waiting for parts. Once your car is repaired you submit the bill to Acura so they can reimburse you.

Acura is saying "no way", not only should the customer not be charged directly, but the customers would not be happy doing this. In addition Acura is concerned because when all is said and done some customers could be waiting months to get reimbursed just due to the sheer volume of rentals.

So now Acura and Enterprise are trying to figure out how to handle this. My SA mentioned that he has heard of customers (not from my dealer) being asked to return the rental after Enterprise enforced this policy.

The other thing to keep in mind is if any of you have someone under 21 years old that drives the Acura, in most cases they will not be allowed to drive the rental. So in my case, my 19 year old son who drives the TL can't drive the rental, even though my insurance company will provide coverage in the even of an accident.

This situation gets more confusing by the day..

Last edited by JT4; 02-29-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:41 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
Enterprise is requesting payment directly from the customer and will bill the customer as they go. So basically Enterprise wants a credit card from the customer and they bill you weekly or bi-weekly for the next 3 to 5 months while you're waiting for parts. Once your car is repaired you submit the bill to Acura so they can reimburse you.
I only know about my experience, so it may not apply to others. Enterprise did ask for a credit card number, and said there would be a one-time $50 charge, which would be returned when the vehicle was returned. There was no mention of any weekly or bi-weekly charges. We have had the vehicles for more than a week and no charges have shown up yet, and I do not expect them to. The manager at our Enterprise office was very helpful and easy to deal with.

Gregg
Old 02-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JT4
OK, so here is the latest info I rec'd, everyone take it for what it's worth because as we have seen, there is a lot of different info floating around.

I spoke to my dealer in person and from what they have been told Acura is voluntarily replacing the Takata inflators even though some VIN's aren't affected.

He stressed it is not a mandatory recall, but Acura wants nothing to do (rightfully so) with these parts in their vehicles. I told him that I could be wrong, but was under the impression that this was the case with the other manufacturers also.

I was given the impression it was safe to drive the TL until the parts come in. He did say that if I wanted a rental and keep my car at home I should contact ACR so that they can contact dealer management. From what he said if a customer wants a rental while retaining possession of their vehicle ACR will not allow a dealer to dictate what a customer will be and will not be allowed to due in this situation.

And now the next problem. He said the other issue Acura is having now is with Enterprise, so this could be a reason some dealers aren't offering anyone cars. From what I have been told usually Enterprise gives the customer a rental and at the end of the rental period Enterprise bills Acura, seems easy enough.

However, now Enterprise is requesting payment directly from the customer and will bill the customer as they go. So basically Enterprise wants a credit card from the customer and they bill you weekly or bi-weekly for the next 3 to 5 months while you're waiting for parts. Once your car is repaired you submit the bill to Acura so they can reimburse you.

Acura is saying "no way", not only should the customer not be charged directly, but the customers would not be happy doing this. In addition Acura is concerned because when all is said and done some customers could be waiting months to get reimbursed just due to the sheer volume of rentals.

So now Acura and Enterprise are trying to figure out how to handle this. My SA mentioned that he has heard of customers (not from my dealer) being asked to return the rental after Enterprise enforced this policy.

The other thing to keep in mind is if any of you have someone under 21 years old that drives the Acura, in most cases they will not be allowed to drive the rental. So in my case, my 19 year old son who drives the TL can't drive the rental, even though my insurance company will provide coverage in the even of an accident.

This situation gets more confusing by the day..
Same problem with me! Especially me being 18... I can't get a rental. I need something to get to school and work. I don't want to drive parents car as my TL is most efficient (parents drive SUVs). And on the form that my parents signed, in bold it says LOANER (does this mean rental?). Because if not, I'm going to bring it up to Acura and get it figured out...

This sucks
Old 02-29-2016, 11:45 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by vbgregg
I only know about my experience, so it may not apply to others. Enterprise did ask for a credit card number, and said there would be a one-time $50 charge, which would be returned when the vehicle was returned. There was no mention of any weekly or bi-weekly charges. We have had the vehicles for more than a week and no charges have shown up yet, and I do not expect them to. The manager at our Enterprise office was very helpful and easy to deal with.

Gregg
I understood that this issue just came up, so I assume it was sometime last week. So it may be possible since you received a rental prior to this alleged new policy, you may be spared any issues.. Like I mentioned earlier, with so much different info floating around it's hard to know what is fact.

Originally Posted by Kain1009
Same problem with me! Especially me being 18... I can't get a rental. I need something to get to school and work. I don't want to drive parents car as my TL is most efficient (parents drive SUVs). And on the form that my parents signed, in bold it says LOANER (does this mean rental?). Because if not, I'm going to bring it up to Acura and get it figured out...

This sucks
I would assume that "Loaner" and rental would be one in the same in this situation. Also make sure your parents insurance would cover you when you're driving a rental or a loaner, it should but better to be sure. Another thing to be aware of, check your dealers loaner agreement. Some dealers will not allow someone under 21 to drive one of their loaner vehicles..
Old 02-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Cruisin'

My dealer sent me to Enterprise with a form that had their dealership account number for Enteprise to charge direct. Same situation with $50 hold on my card. They tried to get me into a Fusion, but settled on a Buick LaCrosse at $45 a day. I really need the built in Nav for my day to day driving, like I had in my TL, so they are arranging a trade to an Infiniti Q50 or new grand Cherokee limited. I really miss the TL and still see a ton out driving on the roads. Very tempted just to get mine back and forget I ever heard about the recall till the fix actually comes in.

Acura customer service took almost a week and a half to call me back. The case manager Stacey was pretty rude on the phone (I'm sure she's dealing with a lot of calls), but theres been more than a few times it has been insinuated that I'm over reacting turning the TL in. The dealership in Chicago said I was only the second person to actually act on it in the whole city. Yet not one person I've talked to is willing to simply state there is not a risk at some level.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sehale

I went to the dealer this morning and they had my on the appointment calendar. I jokingly asked if I was getting a 2016 TLX replacement. The service guy said, "No - you are getting a 2016 RDX." I about fell over. Turns out this dealer (Hertrich Acura, New Castle, DE) does not have a relationship with Enterprise so they gave me this service vehicle. I had to sign the waiver form and some loaner paperwork. I asked if anyone else could drive it and they told me I just had to send them a copy of the requested driver's license and they would add them to the paperwork. Great deal for me. Attached is the picture (took the picture off the lot so I wouldn't look too happy!).
Old 02-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JT4
I understood that this issue just came up, so I assume it was sometime last week. So it may be possible since you received a rental prior to this alleged new policy, you may be spared any issues.. Like I mentioned earlier, with so much different info floating around it's hard to know what is fact.

I would assume that "Loaner" and rental would be one in the same in this situation. Also make sure your parents insurance would cover you when you're driving a rental or a loaner, it should but better to be sure. Another thing to be aware of, check your dealers loaner agreement. Some dealers will not allow someone under 21 to drive one of their loaner vehicles..
So I went today. They are willing to give me a car to drive from enterprise . If not, I get a TLX from them . Only happened after they saw the liability forms..

Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall