TL Takata Airbag Recall

Old 02-15-2016, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Did you request the loaner or did they offer it unsolicited? They're going to hold your car that long at their place? Wow.

I requested a loaner because of the risk.
They offered an RDX, I declined because I do not require an RDX, save it for a family who needs it.
I requested a TLX or something else with AWD.
They offered the TLX TECH AWD and yes, the HD radio is nice. LOL

Its snowing, can't test it out. But the car has 902 miles on it. SO, out or respect ill treat it carefully. :thumbs:
and yes, they are to keep the car on their lot. Now, if its transferred elsewhere I would not know about it. However, Ill be stopping by myself to fire it up from time to time. It is, after all, my car.
The following 2 users liked this post by DidiBob:
hadokenuh (02-16-2016), JM2010 SH-AWD (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 07:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These freaking airbags and there stupid designs.

Why there is no option to disable these airbags .. instead of asking the owners to not drive the cars .. can't they freaking disable them instead ... till they fix them ?
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (02-16-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 08:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My vehicle is also part of the recall based on my VIN number and the recall info stated that i should call my dealer. Called the dealer today and they told me that information on VIN specific recalls for the airbag inflator is not available yet. I politely informed him that the recall was based on my VIN and he asked me where I was getting this information from and I told him Acura's website. He proceeds to tell me that this isn't possible, i must be misinformed, and the only information he can give me is that my vehicle is in the year range of affected vehicles and can he do anything else to help me...... WOW. I called Acura's customer relations line and they confirmed there was a recall for my vehicle and would normally direct me to the dealer to make arrangements for alternative transportation but since my dealer is apparently unwilling to do so they will be opening a claim and will get back to me within 24 hours. I have to say so far Acura's customer relations department was extremely nice and helpful unlike the dealer. I have never written a bad review about anything or anyone, ever, because usually its a waste of time. However this guy from the dealership was so rude and condescending that i will waste my time and try to contact someone as high up as i can at the dealership.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:40 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I'm confused because as much as I think the TL should probably not be driven until the airbag recall is complete, if I was offered a loaner, I'm not too sure I would want my TL sitting on the dealer lot that long. My thinking is this.

I just feel there is too much of a risk that it gets damaged sitting there for the next 3-6 months. Not to mention I would hate for it to sit out in the elements that long. I mean it's not garage kept, but it is washed at least weekly, and wiped down in between when weather permits.

I know this sounds crazy, but I would rather drive around for the next 3- 6 months with my airbags disabled. I would rather take my chances this way instead of having an airbag deploy for no reason..

Last edited by JT4; 02-16-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JT4
I'm confused because as much as I think the TL should probably not be driven until the airbag recall is complete, if I was offered a loaner, I'm not too sure I would want my TL sitting on the dealer lot that long. My thinking is this.

I just feel there is too much of a risk that it gets damaged sitting there for the next 3-6 months. Not to mention I would hate for it to sit out in the elements that long. I mean it's not garage kept, but it is washed at least weekly, and wiped down in between when weather permits.

I know this sounds crazy, but I would rather drive around for the next 3- 6 months with my airbags disabled. I would rather take my chances this way instead of having an airbag deploy for no reason..
You've inspired me to think again.... Thank you.
I made a call to Client Relations. " I understand the policy is to give a car, take a car, however this is not a typical repair period of a few days to a week. This is an unusual situation and my car, which I insure, and I am financially responsible for should not be out of my hands for this prolonged period of time." They will have a case manager review. Ill respond with the outcome. Im posting this so that others may take this example for the hard times that Client Relations may give you. Its an oversight of course on their part, which happens.
Hopefully, this simple request will be granted.
Velocity350 (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just checked my VIN and it directed me to the Acura Owners site to schedule an appointment. I had it auto schedule for the soonest available which is Thursday 7:30 AM. I'm guessing I'll get a call before then stating they do not have the part. Fingers crossed for the TLX tech AWD. I wonder if instead of letting it sit in the elements, they'll let me store it in my climate controlled hangar so long as I provide odometer proof that it will not be driven.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by DidiBob
I requested a loaner because of the risk.
They offered an RDX, I declined because I do not require an RDX, save it for a family who needs it.
I requested a TLX or something else with AWD.
They offered the TLX TECH AWD and yes, the HD radio is nice. LOL

Its snowing, can't test it out. But the car has 902 miles on it. SO, out or respect ill treat it carefully. :thumbs:
and yes, they are to keep the car on their lot. Now, if its transferred elsewhere I would not know about it. However, Ill be stopping by myself to fire it up from time to time. It is, after all, my car.
Well, they think you may like the TLX so much that after a month, you decide to trade your TL in for the TLX. Win-win situation for the dealer

Great service nevertheless!
Old 02-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

Spoke with Acura's Client relations and the dealership today. They state that Acura has a contract through enterprise rental car for this recall and that my vehicle will have to be left at the dealership for the duration of the wait which will be at least 5 months. The dealer will then give me a MDX until paperwork is finalized with Enterprise and then i will be driving a chevy Aveo or similar type vehicle, no exceptions.

I guess I have to weigh my options. Do I really want to leave my car through the rest of winter and most of summer sitting outside at the dealership while hoping nothing else happens to it and then also make my monthly payment to Acura while driving a rental chevy Aveo?

To those who have received new TLX's for rentals, congrats!! At least some of us got lucky. Hopefully they don't try to get them back from you!

Best of luck to others!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just dropped off my 2012 TL part of Takata Airbag recall. My experienced at the dealership was ok, met with SA and showed them my printout from Acura owners link. They're response was we don't have the part nor when the part will be available, they told me that they are working with Enterprise for loaner cars. I asked why not Acura vehicle, they explained that some of the loaner cars they have are part of the recall. The Ser. Dir. had asked where I get all my info and the printout. So far I am the first one in line who brought this Recall campaign. Enterprise gave me a 2016 Chrysler 200, to which I have no idea how long this process will end. At that time at the Enterprise, I met this lady who is also getting a loaner for the same issue. She drives a Lexus, per Toyota..... Toyota authorized for a loaner car for 3months.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I'd rather drive my car with a defective airbag for 5 months than spend all that quality time in a Chrysler 200. I'll take the risk.
The following 2 users liked this post by JM2010 SH-AWD:
a35tl (02-16-2016), JT4 (02-17-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 05:49 PM
Instructor

I understand most of our concerns and I missed driving my TL, especially when your still making payments.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:44 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

I'd rather drive my car with a defective airbag for 5 months than spend all that quality time in a Chrysler 200. I'll take the risk.
I agree with you. I've had the TL for 5 years, driving it all this time with these defective parts. So like you I too would rather take the risk.

And for me, driving a POS enterprise rental is the least of my concerns. Even if I was given a brand new TLX, RDX etc. I still wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the TL at the dealer for who knows how many months..

This just doesn't sit well with me.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:36 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JT4
I agree with you. I've had the TL for 5 years, driving it all this time with these defective parts. So like you I too would rather take the risk.

And for me, driving a POS enterprise rental is the least of my concerns. Even if I was given a brand new TLX, RDX etc. I still wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the TL at the dealer for who knows how many months..

This just doesn't sit well with me.
I agree. I can't stomach leaving my vehicle on the lot, just seems like a big chance to take over something that is likely to be a non issue for most. For what its worth I have spoken with a few knowledgeable people on the subject and they seem to believe that the likelihood of a inflator breaking apart during airbag deployment is low and limited to older vehicles that are in high humidity environments. I'm not claiming this to be 100% accurate but its enough for me to keep my TL in my possession for the next 6 months.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:05 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by Velocity350
I agree. I can't stomach leaving my vehicle on the lot, just seems like a big chance to take over something that is likely to be a non issue for most. For what its worth I have spoken with a few knowledgeable people on the subject and they seem to believe that the likelihood of a inflator breaking apart during airbag deployment is low and limited to older vehicles that are in high humidity environments. I'm not claiming this to be 100% accurate but its enough for me to keep my TL in my possession for the next 6 months.
Yeah, I hate leaving any of my vehicles at the dealer, even just overnight so several months is not happening.

On another note, I spoke to my dealer earlier who told me he put me on the list so once they receive parts I should be one of the first that get repaired. But he did say not to expect anything until over the summer because as we've heard parts are scare.

I told him that I have heard of TL owners being asked to leave their cars at the dealer so not to drive them, and they are given rental vehicles until they are repaired. He said they have had meetings about the recall and isn't aware that anyone needs to leave the car. He said he will dig further and get back to me if he finds out anything add'l.

Something like this makes me glad that I've known this SA for close to 9 years.
Velocity350 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JT4
Yeah, I hate leaving any of my vehicles at the dealer, even just overnight so several months is not happening.

On another note, I spoke to my dealer earlier who told me he put me on the list so once they receive parts I should be one of the first that get repaired. But he did say not to expect anything until over the summer because as we've heard parts are scare.

I told him that I have heard of TL owners being asked to leave their cars at the dealer so not to drive them, and they are given rental vehicles until they are repaired. He said they have had meetings about the recall and isn't aware that anyone needs to leave the car. He said he will dig further and get back to me if he finds out anything add'l.

If you could let us know the outcome of not having to leave your car on the lot, that would be huge. I am unnerved to say the least. On the plus side, Ill have time to get that pinstripe done finally.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4

It would definitely be nice if we did not have to leave our vehicle at the dealership and give them the mileage of our car or something and not drive it.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I spoke to the service manager at our local Acura dealer today. He said that they would give us an Enterprise rental. He also said that we do NOT need to leave our Acura with them. We can keep at home in the garage. I am still undecided about the rental, but if we had to turn in our car and let it sit for 6 months, I would not do it. I was glad to hear that we do not have to leave it with them.

Gregg
Old 02-17-2016, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ran my VIN, my car is affected. If it's moisture related, living in AZ may help, I hope. My dealer has been awesome with loaners so I am going to look at that as well.

The part that scares me:
SAFETY RISK: IN THE EVENT OF AN INFLATOR RUPTURE, METAL FRAGMENTS COULD PASS THROUGH THE AIRBAG CUSHION MATERIAL POSSIBLY CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY OR FATALITY TO YOU OR OTHERS IN THE VEHICLE. PAST RUPTURES LIKE THIS HAVE KILLED AND INJURED VEHICLE DRIVERS.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
See attachments for the latest information.
The following 4 users liked this post by EE4Life:
crxb (02-20-2016), jpsaab24 (02-18-2016), LostProphet (02-20-2016), Velocity350 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life
This helps out a lot. So you can sign the form and not drive the vehicle until the parts come in. For those who got an upgrade in loaner car, I am jelly!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Update on the Latest Takata Airbag Inflator Recall
http://link.videoplatform.limelight....71ed884a40b54c

Previous updates and information
https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-.../#post15677532
JT4 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Instructor

very informative info, thank you.

Does this mean we can retain possession of our car in (storage/garage) and get to drive the provided loaner vehicle?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:28 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
i was just thinking the same thing about leaving the car at the dealer for several months without operation.

I do have an appointment for next Wednesday to drop the car of and pick up the loaner(ilx) i don't know if it's the hybrid or tech model.. Well i have a few days to decide whether to take the loaner or drive at my own risk.

The SA kept emphasizing that they are not responsible for.

1. any damage to the car such as seized calipers rusty rotors and brakes.

2. body damage.

3. moisture build up due to weather and the fluid conditions for not being driven.

They also said I am completely responsible for the loaner and I am the only one that can drive it.

They need proof of insurance, dl, and a credit card just in case something goes wrong or the car gets damage and the insurance will not cover it which reminds me i need to call my insurance to let them in the loop of what is going on. With the pdf attachment above i might be able to keep the car at home while i have the loaner. The SA said i cant even come to the dealer and drive it to keep it in shape if i drop it off it just sits for the window frame until the part comes in. Also i have to bring the loaner back so they can inspect it for any damages one a month.

Last edited by real_mckoy; 02-17-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:28 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by DidiBob
If you could let us know the outcome of not having to leave your car on the lot, that would be huge. I am unnerved to say the least. On the plus side, Ill have time to get that pinstripe done finally.
Definitely, If I get any add'l feedback I'll post it..

Originally Posted by vbgregg
I spoke to the service manager at our local Acura dealer today. He said that they would give us an Enterprise rental. He also said that we do NOT need to leave our Acura with them. We can keep at home in the garage. I am still undecided about the rental, but if we had to turn in our car and let it sit for 6 months, I would not do it. I was glad to hear that we do not have to leave it with them.

Gregg
This is good to hear.. However, my SA never even mentioned that it shouldn't be driven, I mean it makes sense not to drive it, but he didn't say anything about that.

I think I'm going to send a few of those attachments that EE4Life posted to my SA and see what he says..

Last edited by JT4; 02-18-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Just got off the phone from Acura Customer Care, I was told that they are not aware of this Aknowledgement Release form in regard to Customer can retain their vehicle. Any suggestion.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
So here's my Canadian experience. I called Acura Queensway in Toronto and they acknowledged that my car is on the recall list. They said parts are not ready and may take a few months to become available.

I asked if they are arranging any loaner or rental cars for their affected customers. They said they are not providing cars and that my car is perfectly safe to drive. The customer rep said that Honda is performing this recall voluntarily as a preventative measure and that my current airbag is still functioning fine.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Cruisin'

Went to a different dealer today and they were not aware of any policy that would allow me to store my car at home while also being given an enterprise rental. I had previously printed the documents posted by EE4Life and gave them to the service manager. After about 20 min he came back and said everything checked out and that I just needed to sign the form and I could store my car at home. He also gave me a new TLX AWD to drive for the entire duration of the recall, he was told to do this by the higher ups at Acura Corp. I can only guess that the enterprise/Acura deal is only good if a vehicle is being left at the dealer and if you are not leaving a car then you can't get a Enterprise rental? Not sure, just speculating.

Anyone wanting to get a loaner and not leave their car should take the waiver documents to the dealer when they go.

It appears that Acura isn't doing a good job of getting this information down to the dealers so take it easy on them because they are just as confused as we are. The service manager I dealt with was very helpful so thanks to him and thanks to EE4Life for posting the waiver documents!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys. So I spoke with my dealership and after a little push and mentioning the waiver forms about retaining possession of my vehicle, they agreed to an Enterprise rental vehicle that I am to pick up this afternoon due to my '12 TL being affected by the recall.

I wanted to make sure that I am not liable to pay ANYTHING for the rental, correct? It's all Acura footing the bill. I don't want to have to pay a dime for anything including any waivers or damage forms or anything.

Is this reasonable?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

I called my dealer up and they said they would be footing the bill for an Enterprise rental. I have not met with them face to face yet, but I would like to keep possession of my vehicle. I will push for that when I go in and I have printed out that waiver form that was posted. I have an 09 and I worry the issue could be worse as it's an older model and it did come from a hotter region but not humid. I am kind of confused on that part.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I was advised Acura is not paying for any of the supplemental insurance.

Also, the recall is VIN specific and there is a chance that some of us may not have an issue but they recalled all models for a certain year as a safety precaution. From what I understand that are still weeding thru the VINs.

Originally Posted by acb5456
Hey guys. So I spoke with my dealership and after a little push and mentioning the waiver forms about retaining possession of my vehicle, they agreed to an Enterprise rental vehicle that I am to pick up this afternoon due to my '12 TL being affected by the recall.

I wanted to make sure that I am not liable to pay ANYTHING for the rental, correct? It's all Acura footing the bill. I don't want to have to pay a dime for anything including any waivers or damage forms or anything.

Is this reasonable?
Old 02-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
My car in storage so I guess I ain't in no rush.. I can't even drive it to the nearest dealer if I wanted to with my tires. But what I would like to know is this.. How long would this swap air bag take? Is it a day change couple days? And where is this waiver form I keep reading about but can't find?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
My car in storage so I guess I ain't in no rush.. I can't even drive it to the nearest dealer if I wanted to with my tires. But what I would like to know is this.. How long would this swap air bag take? Is it a day change couple days? And where is this waiver form I keep reading about but can't find?
The form is probably back on page two now
It helped me today, because my car is now home.
Woot woot. With that, many thanks to our local dealership who is as always great

And now we wait....
Old 02-19-2016, 09:34 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
How long would this swap air bag take? Is it a day change couple days? And where is this waiver form I keep reading about but can't find?
My dealer said the fix is simple and should only take 5-10 minutes.

Gregg
Old 02-20-2016, 04:14 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Check post #59 for the waiver form.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Advanced

Question: Would it be worth my time to call client relations and request/demand monetary credit in the form of Acura service/parts voucher?

1. We are advised to not drive the car
2. We are required to sign a "we wont drive our cars while in our possession" paper
3. In their care, the car won't be moved either

I made my payment this week (as most of us still probably have a small balance on our loans )
I am unpleased that I have to look into the garage and see a car which I cannot move due to negligence on Honda and Acura.
Why should I be out the money on their car?
I promised not to sell the car while in my care....not that they can be sold without the repair

I believe with these factors, it is reasonable to request fair compensation for the loan payments made for a car we cannot move. Again, in the form of Acura service and part vouchers should be reasonable. Or, since I am in the market for a MDX for my wife, maybe I should go another route if this is their client care experience?

Am I being bullheaded? That's not my angle here. I wanted to take a road trip with the the tl this spring and now I can't. Hence the MDX purchase.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is the link to explain better what they are going to do its simple and u can drive the car with no issues just cant get into accident...........Honda Airbag Info Recall
Old 02-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Cruisin'

Its a fast simple fix part change no more then 10 minutes u can probably wait for the car while ur at the dealer
Old 02-20-2016, 12:29 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 14SH-AWD
Here is the link to explain better what they are going to do its simple and u can drive the car with no issues just cant get into accident...........Honda Airbag Info Recall
I can't find where it explains in the event of an accident. Will a person get shrapnel in them when it deploys?
Old 02-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Cruisin'

I called the local dealer and spoke to a friend who works there he said its safe to drive the car no issues but its only a precaution honda / acura is taking so all they are really going to do is replace that metal piece with a plastic one just to make sure if it deploys the metal wont come up and hit anyone in the face and cause damage to anyone
Old 02-20-2016, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

what are the crash test results for the Chrysler 200 as compared to a TL?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall