TL Special Edition Impressions after one month. Coming out of a G37

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
TL Special Edition Impressions after one month. Coming out of a G37

My Lease was up and a 2010 G37 and after considering buying it or leasing a new one, I ended up leasing a 2013 Special Edition TL. I researched and priced all the main usual competitors as well as some of the mainstream names such as the Avalon and the Honda Accord EX-L V6. I even drove some higher end models just for kicks just to see what an extra $15K to 25K can buy. By the end of the day, the TL was such a compelling package, I could not pass on such a great deal when compared to the other players.

The new TL has really grown on me quite a bit since the 2012 refresh. I find the car to be unique and extremely attractive. I think everything else is either bland or a Sonata wanna be. To the point that is hard to distinguish between one brand or the other.

I have had a chance to enjoy the car for a little over a month and I can easily see the differences between my old and current model Infiniti G37 as well as some of the cars I considered. Having driven RWD cars for the past 8 years, I thought that this was going to be very challenging. So far it has been a mood point for me.

When you live in the Atlanta suburbs, it is extremely difficult to push some of these cars to its limits. There are plenty of open spaces, hills, and curves, but so far not enough of a difference to feel like I have to have the RWD. The FWD TL has been very capable and fun. THE G37 was faster, and tighter. However this comes at the expense of lower quality materials (Still trying to figure out if the G37 has real leather or plastic), space, comfort, and gas mileage, and a terrible 7 speed auto transmission. Both of these cars are priced very similarly and yes, they are both at the end of their run, but I think the TL will age much better due the uniqueness and "Ahead of its time" modern looks. Both are fine automobiles . Infiniti could have made some interior tweaks to the G during the past 6 years, but they became stale and did not even change a knob. You can't tell a 2008 from a 2013.

I considered the new and perhaps more technology oriented Accord EXL V6 but I really was not crazy about the center console design which split in multiple parts. I also did think the Accord had the driven dynamics of the Tl. Not even close. When you consider the price difference between the two cars, getting a TL is completely justifiable, especially in how these Acuras are being priced. When you compare the lease vs buying, it made more sense to lease the car because after three years both numbers compare pretty favorable.

Favorite things about the car:

LOOKS (there I said it), Interior quality (top notch leather and materials), Killer 18 inch wheels, smooth transmission , 6 disc CD changer (yes olf fashion ) , Plenty of new connections for USB, bluetooth, etc

So so:

City gas mileage could be better, but I am still under 1000 miles. Suspension is a little hard . Not sure if this the car or the tires.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlpharettaBoomer:
emanon256 (08-13-2013), hadokenuh (08-13-2013), terdonal (08-13-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
Good write up!

Seems like you weren't too happy with the G37 at all
The following users liked this post:
AlpharettaBoomer (08-13-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Welcome to AcuraZine.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Welcome aboard! I have always thought Nissan/Infiniti offerings were good value and I actually came close a few times to getting a G-coupe both during the first generation G35 as well as the G37. However it just never quite made it. One of the tackiest design features of the G37 though was not getting the led tail lights right. I know this sounds ridiculous put instead of having the led's follow the shape of the tail light there are two circles of led's. Since one of the circles is a bit too large diameter to fit the Infiniti solution was to remove the offending led. Those familiar with the G37 coupe know what I am talking about. The result always looked to me like a bulb was burned out and/or that Infiniti did not care about attention to detail which was a turnoff for me.

Our 2000 TL was rock solid for the 12 years that we owned it and we keep in touch with the party we sold the car to who is happily racking up more carefree miles. The 2012 TL we bought to replace it is one of the most solidly put together fun to drive 4-door sedans we ever owned. These cars do not get the attention or kudos they deserve in my opinion.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:26 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
welcome.. but wow.. someone actually bought a SE model.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Welcome to Acurazine. Congrats on your 13' TL and excellent review of the TL.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Welcome to AcuraZine.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DynamicJ32
Good write up!

I was actually happy with the G37 and the experience was very positive. Like everything else in life, it was not a perfect car and that car seemed aged perhaps because of the lack of changes. However, the car was extremely reliable and fun to drive. The one reason I did not even considered or waited for the Q50 is because I hated the 7 speed transmission and the run flats not to mention the lack of incentives for being such a new car. I think I would have rather made the leap to a GS350 F given the choice and money. I had a BMW 530i and an Audi A6 prior to the G37 and as much as I like a free coffee and a free muffin, the reliability issues was not worth the fun factor. I will stick to a Japanese brand any day. In all honesty , I drove the new BMW 328i and I was not impressed to say the least. Not for close to $47K. Whatever happened to the tight handling?

But this brand new TL Special Edition was purchased for close to $32K. Based on what I compared it to, you really get a lot of car for the money. It combines all the attributes of a premium entry level "sporty" sedan. It is a very well balanced vehicle with a very proven record. It will not win any racing awards, but fast and fun enough to get me through the Atlanta Suburbs and my future fun drives to the Blue Ridge mountains. If there is one thing I would love to have and it SHOULD be included with any entry level premium brand is the back up camera. That is probably the single feature I miss. This is included is included in the TECH package, but I had to have those 18 inch wheels. I am not too much into making extreme body modifications with cars, but I had to have to have those killers wheels. It brings the car to a new level.

Thank you for allowing me to post and welcoming to the community
Old 08-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase! You are finding out what most all of us already know; the TL is the best value in its class if people would just get by the "polarizing" look and drive one!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DynamicJ32
Good write up!

I was actually happy with the G37 and the experience was very positive. Like everything else in life, it was not a perfect car and it seemed aged perhaps because of the lack of changes. However, the car was extremely reliable and fun to drive. The one reason I did not even considered or waited for the Q50 is because I hated the 7 speed transmission and the run flats not to mention the lack of incentives for being such a new car. I think I would have rather made the leap to a GS350 F given the choice and money. I had a BMW 530i and an Audi A6 prior to the G37 and as much as I like a free coffee and a free muffin, the reliability issues was not worth the fun factor. I will stick to a Japanese brand any day. In all honesty , I drove the new BMW 328i and I was not impressed to say the least. Not for close to $47K. Whatever happened to the tight handling?

But this brand new TL Special Edition was purchased for close to $32K. Based on what I compared it to, you really get a lot of car for the money. It combines all the attributes of a premium entry level "sporty" sedan. It is a very well balanced vehicle with a very proven record. It will not win any racing awards, but fast and fun enough to get me through the Atlanta Suburbs and my future fun drives to the Blue Ridge mountains. If there is one thing I would love to have and it SHOULD be included with any entry level premium brand is the back up camera. That is probably the single feature I miss. This is included is included in the TECH package, but I had to have those 18 inch wheels. I am not too much into making extreme body modifications with cars, but I had to have to have those killers wheels. It brings the car to a new level.

Thank you for allowing me to post and welcoming to the community
Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

Sorry for the double post........
Old 08-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Hi Boomer,
Congrats on your new car.
That's an interesting and thoughtful post. Thanks.
I have one question for you: When you said the Infiniti was "tighter", what did you mean? Did you mean the "ride", that is smoother quieter, or did you mean the handling (cornering)?
I have driven a few Nissans and Infinitis in the past and I always thought they felt front end heavy and plowed like a boat.
Curious. Can you expand a bit?
Welcome to the forum; lots of good info here.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Welcome and congrats. Saw the silver moon SE in person at the dealer showroom. Although I'm not a huge fan of chrome wheels. I love how they look on the 4G. Nice review BTW.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
Congrats, enjoy.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool write up. I recently bought a 2013 TL Advance and I agree about the gas mileage part. I get 13-14 mpg around town during my short little trips and that's on top of the premium gas requirement.
They're nice cars though.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Welcome aboard buddy !
Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
SE = all the left-over accesories in the 4G TL parts bins at HMCo.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_c
Hi Boomer,

I have one question for you: When you said the Infiniti was "tighter", what did you mean? Did you mean the "ride", that is smoother quieter, or did you mean the handling (cornering)?
I have driven a few Nissans and Infinitis in the past and I always thought they felt front end heavy and plowed like a boat.
Curious. Can you expand a bit?
Welcome to the forum; lots of good info here.
I can't speak for him, but I get G37 loaners all the time when I have my M37 worked on and the G37 is tight in handling, the car just feels tight in that it is responsive when you steer and the car does not feel like it sloppy on the road. It is funny even though I have the M37 Sport when I get back in my car it feels like a boat after zipping around in the G37 for a few hours. Compared to the AWD TL I had the G37 felt tighter as well, some of that could be that the G37 is a few inches narrower.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:12 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Nice write-up, congrats on the TL.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2013 Special Edition TL? What's that? Any how, welcome to the club!
Old 08-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KeithL
I can't speak for him, but I get G37 loaners all the time when I have my M37 worked on and the G37 is tight in handling, the car just feels tight in that it is responsive when you steer and the car does not feel like it sloppy on the road. It is funny even though I have the M37 Sport when I get back in my car it feels like a boat after zipping around in the G37 for a few hours. Compared to the AWD TL I had the G37 felt tighter as well, some of that could be that the G37 is a few inches narrower.
Yes, that is correct. I was referring to the tight handling of the car. Now that I have owned both , I can honestly say the G37 had the better sports dynamics as far being more of a true sports car based on the extra power and the RWD set up. It is a true direct competitor to the BMW 3 series more so than the TL. Other than price points and some features, the G37 and the TL are very different cars. This is not to say that this is a bad thing. The G37 is harsher and less refined. It is louder and not as plushy. Funny how you commented on the M37 feeling a little more like a boat. Both cars look very similar from a distance, but the M is just more of a "sports cruiser" and as far as comfort, a little more up my alley as I get closer to 50. The Seats of the G37 are extremely uncomfortable.

For my own personal needs, I like the size of the TL better and I like the "softer" ride although I am not sure if I am describing it properly. It is plenty sporty but it pushes closer to the comfort level of a base M37, BMW 5 Series, and somewhat of compromise between the Lexus ES and GS... I don't want to get in trouble here, it does everything these higher cars do, but maybe not as well in many of the key categories. Having said that, The TL is also priced thousands of dollars lower than any these cars . It is very hard to ignore this fact. In a way, it is not even fair of me to compare the TL to them. The TL is a lot of car.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

Hopefully the mileage will improve as well. I am assume once we get a few more miles in, the MPG will improve. I have done very little highway driving so far.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 78 Likes on 73 Posts
Hi.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Congrats!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the purchase !!!! 32k wow, the SE i saw at my Acura Dealer was 40K... speaking on the leather seats, the SE seats felt nothing in comparison to my seats in the SH model. Do you know if there two different type of materials ?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phatdub
Congrats on the purchase !!!! 32k wow, the SE i saw at my Acura Dealer was 40K... speaking on the leather seats, the SE seats felt nothing in comparison to my seats in the SH model. Do you know if there two different type of materials ?
THe MSRP was $38K plus is I recall.. As usual, some extra BS dealers like to add which I did not bother to ask or negotiate. Just gave them a number and we worked from there.

As far as the leather, I thought they compared well. But to me the SE had the nicest leather versus the Base and it all honesty i do not remember the SH since I only drove it just for kicks but it seemed very similar. But compared to the Base model, it was VERY DIFFERENT indeed. The SE has very soft buttery leather and it is doubled stitched . Very nice and comfortable. The little things included in the SE were totally worth the price. I think the retail upgrade is $1500, but looking at my my numbers, I think it was only about $900 with all the discounts. With that you get the spoiler, the upgraded leather, 18 inch tires and wheels, and the push ignition.

Not sure if this will become the lowest priced TL for 2014.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:27 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by AlpharettaBoomer
I was actually happy with the G37 and the experience was very positive. Like everything else in life, it was not a perfect car and it seemed aged perhaps because of the lack of changes. However, the car was extremely reliable and fun to drive. The one reason I did not even considered or waited for the Q50 is because I hated the 7 speed transmission and the run flats not to mention the lack of incentives for being such a new car. I think I would have rather made the leap to a GS350 F given the choice and money. I had a BMW 530i and an Audi A6 prior to the G37 and as much as I like a free coffee and a free muffin, the reliability issues was not worth the fun factor. I will stick to a Japanese brand any day. In all honesty , I drove the new BMW 328i and I was not impressed to say the least. Not for close to $47K. Whatever happened to the tight handling?
Welcome to AZ! The 4G TL truly does give you a lot for the money, considering its dimensions are on par with the 5 series and A6, esp since the 2014 TLX is rumored to be shrinking in size...

Sorry to hear about your dealings with the issues you had with the 530i and A6. I have friends/colleagues with 3/5 series who have had so many multiple issues with their BMWs, many got fed up and traded them for their Japanese counterparts.

There are a scant few here on the 4G TL side who will claim that the BMW is just as reliable as Acura's, and that "all cars have issues." I'm surprised they haven't chimed in yet... For the most part, the 4G TL is rock solid and tight.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:36 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I test driven the G37 and G37x a few times, it definitely felt "tight." But for every time it went over bumps and expansion joints, it felt like that vehicle was unstable, bouncy, and about to break down. Not sure how to describe it... Otherwise a powerful car in sheep's clothing.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Interesting. I'm not debating or disagreeing. I have experienced test driving experiences where even different cars of the same exact type felt different and drove different. My opinion is that almost all cars today or very, very, well made and they perform extremely well compared to the crap we had 20,30,40 years ago. Again, just to be clear, you guys are talking about the G35,G37 sedan right, not the coupe, which I'm sure is a different animal altogether. I have heard mixed reviews on the Infinitis. I love driving my TL and think it's a terrific car, but it's definitely not perfect in every way.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I think it's a pretty common opinion that German cars are great to drive but you don't want to own one. They are expensive and seem to need a lot of repairs and servicing. Between my wife and myself we have put close to a million km of driving on Japanese brand vehicles and NEVER had a serious reliability or repair issue. (we are old!)
We will never buy anything else.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
"The new TL has really grown on me quite a bit since the 2012 refresh. I find the car to be unique and extremely attractive. I think everything else is either bland or a Sonata wanna be. To the point that is hard to distinguish between one brand or the other".

thats what the refresh did to the TL ..lmmfao
Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
I test driven the G37 and G37x a few times, it definitely felt "tight." But for every time it went over bumps and expansion joints, it felt like that vehicle was unstable, bouncy, and about to break down. Not sure how to describe it... Otherwise a powerful car in sheep's clothing.
FWIW, IMO nothing could be further from the truth. What I find is the suspension is so tight, I had driving the car around here with the "speed bumps" on the expansion joints, potholes and asphalt repair, it's just not pleasant. But jittery, bouncy, about to break down? Not in the least, the car is anything but bouncy.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
"The new TL has really grown on me quite a bit since the 2012 refresh. I find the car to be unique and extremely attractive. I think everything else is either bland or a Sonata wanna be. To the point that is hard to distinguish between one brand or the other".

thats what the refresh did to the TL ..lmmfao
Got to get the eyes checked........whether you like the style or not, nothing out there looks like a TL . If anything maybe the little brother ( TSX )
Old 08-17-2013, 12:00 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats
Old 08-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Oh yeah...congrats OP.

One friend just slipped out of a TL into a 3 series. Another friend just slipped into 2013 TL. I get to take it for test drive next week. He'll drive my G and we'll compare notes.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Congrats the wheels on the SE looks really nice.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the car.... I just got an SE as well! Got it cheaper then the Base model so for the 18" wheels, spoiler and push button start it is worth it. The only thing that I feel is a little odd is the wood grain gimmick they used in the console! I am considering swapping it out. Other than that it GREAT!

Originally Posted by potmilkz
And now that's at least 2 people that got the SE potmilkz
Old 10-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Welcome aboard.