Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TL SH AWD awd drivetrain swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 03:12 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL SH AWD awd drivetrain swap

anyone ever heard of someone swapping the awd drivetrain to a different j series engine? Been wanting to get started on an awd turbo j series first gen crv but this was years ago, what info is out there now on various j block and trans combos and which work with the awd drivetrain? Been searching a while on the forum but I'm sorry I'm new please excuse if this is repost
Old 04-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
There's a Civic with the drivetrain from a RL SH-AWD in it.

https://www.enginebasics.com/Civic%20Type%20RL.html

So it's possible. He mis-matched a few bits and pieces to get it to work.

The one thing I'll add is at 19 I'd be surprised if you have the time, money, and resources to accomplish this. One of those lofty goals that won't ever get off the ground. Money would be better spent on education or housing/land.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
You probably won't have room for the propeller shaft in a car not designed for it. The TL SH-AWD has a different body with a "tunnel" for clearance. It might fit in an SUV.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
As I understand it, the SH-AWD isn't a good candidate for more power to the wheels. The system is pretty well maxed out at about 310HP if you're goal is long term reliability/durability. In the short run, it'd probably hold together for awhile turboed. Who knows. It'd be fun to try! The car really needs 350 plus HP. I wish I could make it happen!