Thinking about a 4g TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 04:18 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Thinking about a 4g TL

Hey Folks. I currently have an '07 TL-S. I have been thinking about selling it and getting a '13-'14 TL SH-AWD. My problem is that there are very few in my province for sale so I can't take a look at one right now (closest is at least a couple of hours away.). Does anyone have experience with both 3G and 4G that can tell me the difference in backseat size compared to the 3G? I've looked at photos and it looks the same size, but they can be deceiving. I have two kids that I need to fit back there. Currently one is forward facing and the other rear facing, but in the next 4 months or so, one will go to a booster and the other forward facing. I know they are pretty snug in my '07 right now.
Thanks.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoNorthPolo
Hey Folks. I currently have an '07 TL-S. I have been thinking about selling it and getting a '13-'14 TL SH-AWD. My problem is that there are very few in my province for sale so I can't take a look at one right now (closest is at least a couple of hours away.). Does anyone have experience with both 3G and 4G that can tell me the difference in backseat size compared to the 3G? I've looked at photos and it looks the same size, but they can be deceiving. I have two kids that I need to fit back there. Currently one is forward facing and the other rear facing, but in the next 4 months or so, one will go to a booster and the other forward facing. I know they are pretty snug in my '07 right now.
Thanks.
I've owned two 3G TLs and three 4G TLs. 4G TLs are definitely roomier, including the backseat. 4G TLs are just larger overall.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:35 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a 2013 and have two kids in back. One in a booster and the other forward facing and have had no issues. Plenty of space back there.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
butttt...did you have space back there to conceive both those kids!?!?
LOL...I think the 3G would be adequate too. We all convince ourselves we NEED more. My mom had a 90 SI with 2 kids climbing in and out for 10 years.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
The back seat would be great for younger kids. No issues at all IMO. I have a 6 foot kid and it is getting tight for him back there. As for the 4G, it's a great car: the SH-AWD and 3.7 is a true driver's car. The 3.5 is no slouch either, but the AWD system is magic in these cars and the 3.7 putting out 305HP makes for a fun driver's car that happily doubles as a family cruiser when needed. I think the 4th gen with the 3.7 and SH-AWD is under appreciated as a performance machine. If you put proper summer tires in it, it'll pull a full g on the skid pad too.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:01 PM
KCCO

Thanks for the replies. I'm almost sold on getting a 4g Now. The other car I am looking at is a B8 model S4, but I believe the back seat is the same size or smaller than my 3G TL and I am worried about repair costs and frequency.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
I've owned two 3G TLs and three 4G TLs. 4G TLs are definitely roomier, including the backseat. 4G TLs are just larger overall.
I just looked at the official numbers, the 3G has total of 77.7" of leg room (42.8" front, 34.9" rear); the 4G has a total of 78.7" (42.5" front, 36.2" rear). Said another way, if the front seats are set identically and all else being equal, then the rear seat of the 4G has a whopping 1.0 inches if extra leg room. The thing is "all else being equal" is rarely the case. Given the 3G has more headroom, it is possible to set the front seats higher/closer to the steering wheel which will in turn negate any legroom advantage of the 4G.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
I've also owned a 3G and still have my SH-AWD 4G and it's roomier for sure and drives sooo much better when compared to the 3G

You will not be disappointed if you go with the SH-AWD WITH Tech Package
Old 07-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Thanks.
I have both 3G (2007) and 4G (2013 FWD). I should have no problem fitting a rear facing car seat in the 4G. The 4G is definitely bigger in the back. But once you go forward facing, both 3G and 4G should be fine.

If your TLS has low mileage, I'd keep it. With 2 kids, you definitely want to consider something roomier than the 4G TL, like the MDX or something.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Yeah, an MDX would be nice, especially if you went with the 3rd gen. With care, it would last until your kids were teens. We've owned our 2009 Honda Pilot, which is very similar, for 5 years now and it's solid. It has just over 200K and running like a champ. And it has tons of room without being a suburban assault vehicle like some of the domestics.

But if you're set on a sedan, the 4G TL is definitely a good investment. It's plenty comfortable for two adults in the back let alone some kids. I drove Uber for a while when I was unemployed and frequently drove the Select service which is a step above the standard Uber service. A lot of businessmen would use it to drive around clients when they didn't want to stuff in the back of a Prius or something. Your car has to be at least an entry level luxury sedan with leather and have a certain amount of legroom in order for you to be able to offer the service. There are plenty of luxury cars that don't meet the specs because they don't have the backseat room but the TL easily met their requirements.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:45 PM
KCCO

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I have both 3G (2007) and 4G (2013 FWD). I should have no problem fitting a rear facing car seat in the 4G. The 4G is definitely bigger in the back. But once you go forward facing, both 3G and 4G should be fine.

If your TLS has low mileage, I'd keep it. With 2 kids, you definitely want to consider something roomier than the 4G TL, like the MDX or something.
We have a full size hemi Durango for an SUV already, I just like to have a car for a daily driver that is easier on gas. My TL is now 10 years old and has for the most part, 13 year old tech, so I'm looking to replace it with something a little more up to date, although the tech in the 4g is now 8 lol.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Drifting

We have a full size hemi Durango for an SUV already, I just like to have a car for a daily driver that is easier on gas. My TL is now 10 years old and has for the most part, 13 year old tech, so I'm looking to replace it with something a little more up to date, although the tech in the 4g is now 8 lol.
The 4th gen TL isn't as easy on gas as I hoped. I average 24-25MPG mixed city/highway. It's a bigger, heavier and more powerful car than your old TL. Still, a whole lot better than your Durango. But I got 30 on average with my '06 6MT.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
I drive a 240 mile stretch across MN and into SD regularly with speeds between 60 to 85. I use non-oxy premium exclusively in my TL SHAWD and I pull 30 to 32.9 MPG on a regular basis.
+
Old 07-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Well, then the 4G TL is a great choice for you. It's definitely an upgrade from the 3G but the 2 things that I notice right away are:

1. Much better and stronger AC. I live in Texas, it's hot over here so AC is very important
2. Much better leather quality

But overall, the 4G TL is not known for tech, even when it was first introduced
Old 07-07-2017, 11:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Anicra
I drive a 240 mile stretch across MN and into SD regularly with speeds between 60 to 85. I use non-oxy premium exclusively in my TL SHAWD and I pull 30 to 32.9 MPG on a regular basis.
+
My driving is about 70% city 30% highway so I don't get quite that good.