Is there really different brand of window tints?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Honestly, I can somewhat understand the "concern for police safety" aspect, but there are now numerous studies showing the detrimental health effects of prolonged sun exposure for drivers.

They need to amend the laws to allow for at least light, but UV/Heat repelling tints in the front if they want to keep officer safety but also protect drivers and front passengers. With my Air Blue 80s police can easily see into the car, but it's also very apparent when you're inside that they are working to repel the sun's damaging effects. Evidence of this as I drive is that the sun coming in through the windshield is feels much warmer than that coming through the side front windows.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by FirstTL12
Honestly, I can somewhat understand the "concern for police safety" aspect, but there are now numerous studies showing the detrimental health effects of prolonged sun exposure for drivers.

They need to amend the laws to allow for at least light, but UV/Heat repelling tints in the front if they want to keep officer safety but also protect drivers and front passengers. With my Air Blue 80s police can easily see into the car, but it's also very apparent when you're inside that they are working to repel the sun's damaging effects. Evidence of this as I drive is that the sun coming in through the windshield is feels much warmer than that coming through the side front windows.
This is true.
I had noticed the UV protection was high for all the tint levels in the Carbon line. Wonder what kind of eye I will get on my next trip to CenCal. The Oregon plate certainly gets their attention.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by FirstTL12

Texas tint law does allow for a 'clear' tint on the windshield without need for any doctors prescription or special approval. But what does 'clear' mean? Nothing is really clear. Best I could determine is that US law requires the windshield on cars sold in the US must pass at least 70% of light below that 'AS' line. So if you keep it lite enough to pass this you will be okay. A very few other states allow a tint on the windshield also, I think Hawaii is one of them.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
And as a guy who studied constitutional law and States' Rights, this is one of those things that I wish we had federal standards for. Sucks that other states can have their windows tinted and we (in CA) have to leave our fronts alone. Though of course driving around you can see plenty of law-breaking citizens.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Texas tint law does allow for a 'clear' tint on the windshield without need for any doctors prescription or special approval. But what does 'clear' mean? Nothing is really clear. Best I could determine is that US law requires the windshield on cars sold in the US must pass at least 70% of light below that 'AS' line. So if you keep it lite enough to pass this you will be okay. A very few other states allow a tint on the windshield also, I think Hawaii is one of them.
Wow!!
thanks! I did not know this!!!

Now, all we need is to get rid of the stupid "inspection stickers" from our windshield.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Wow!!
thanks! I did not know this!!!

Now, all we need is to get rid of the stupid "inspection stickers" from our windshield.
Here is the text. But like I said I haven't had the car inspected since I tinted the windshield. I'm not sure they would notice the tint during the inspection process, but when they go to remove the old sticker they will surely notice. I'll find out in Jan.

From TxDot... http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...windowTint.htm

Sunscreening devices can be applied to the windshield if all of the conditions below are met.
1. Sunscreening devices must be applied above the AS-1 line. If there is no AS-1 line, sunscreening devices must end five inches below the top of the windshield.
2. Sunscreening devices may not be red, amber, or blue in color.
3. Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a light transmittance value of 25% or more.
4. Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less.
5. A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a website that has a lot of information on laws and the best films to use and breaks down the differences between them.
http://www.firstcoastglasscoatings.com
Hope this helps someone!

If anyone has any questions about anything window tint related please feel free to email us and we will try to help the best we can.