Is there really different brand of window tints?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Is there really different brand of window tints?

Looking forward to putting tints on my tl just been told there are different kinds can someone tell me best tint there is and where around NYC area thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
there are multiple BRANDS and material.

we'll go through the materials first.
- Dyed tint: Dyed Tinting Film is basically a polyester layer with a layer of dye placed in the adhesive layer or into a polyester sheet and glued together. Because it does not contain any metal it gives your automobile the blackest look. This film is mainly used for its appearance. It has the least amount of heat reduction however it will not interfere with radio signals, it does reduce glare, and reduces fading to interior upholstery

-Ceramic tint: Ceramic Tinting Film are made with nano-ceramic technology and is a fairly new film design. Ceramic tinting film is a 2 ply product that is thicker than average other films and it has very low reflectivity. This film blocks 2 times more heat than dyed or hybrid film, and is the most technologically advanced film today. Customers would choose this film to achieve ultimate heat reduction without really having to darken their windows as these are generally gray in color. This film is good for customers desiring a highly durable material, with excellent clarity, and providing superior heat reduction versus other film choices. It should be noted that this heavier film may take up to weeks longer to dry out than other film choices..

there are also a few other materials.
but these two are the ones mainly used.

I chose to go with a ceramic tint, because like the description above says; it protects the most while still looking classy.

I chose to go with Huper Optik.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Intermediate

Thanks I've been told about " pinnacle 1" have you herd about them? My car is silver what do u recommend ??
Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM

pinnacle 1 is also another high end brand!
They have different options that you can choose from.
I would suggest going to a few tinting places to get a feel of what you want and how much you want to spend.
as Huper Optik and Pinnacle are pricey. I got all 5 windows( front, rear and rear windshield) for around $375

I would recommend you NOT TO GET DYED tint.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Thank you very much man appreciate it !!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I've had Huper Optik Ceramic on my 6 year old TSX and it looks like the day it was installed. It has held up very well and has better heat rejection than previous tints I've had. At the time it was really pricey. A few months ago a got one of those new nano tints on my windshield. Llumar Air Blue 80. Nearly clear but still has some heat rejection. I think my next car I'll get one of the new nano tints all around and won't go as dark. In this part of Texas a good tint is a matter of survival. It helps the interior hold up better too.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I have the Formula One Pinnacle 1 ceramic window tint film on my car.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I've had Huper Optik Ceramic on my 6 year old TSX and it looks like the day it was installed. It has held up very well and has better heat rejection than previous tints I've had. At the time it was really pricey. A few months ago a got one of those new nano tints on my windshield. Llumar Air Blue 80. Nearly clear but still has some heat rejection. I think my next car I'll get one of the new nano tints all around and won't go as dark. In this part of Texas a good tint is a matter of survival. It helps the interior hold up better too.
I'm in Houston as well.
where did you get your windshield done at?
and what do you do about the inspection/registration stickers?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
"Carbon XP" on both cars (25% RDX, 36% TL). Really nice stuff. Lifetime warranty.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
The dealer warned me not to use a metallic tint due to it interfering with the Nav reseption.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 PM

^there are other materials other than metallic.
if you're afraid of metallic, go for Ceramic or Carbon.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Nav is through the windshield, unless you are tinting the windsheild too, it typically doesn't cause issues with this NAV set-up. "Carbon" brand is non-metalic.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 10-04-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I believe NAV is thru the rear window.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM

afraid of a modification messing up something!?
simply dont do it!

or find another option!
as there are plenty of different kinds of materials to choose from when tinting your windows!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Because of California law, I went with non-tinted windshield, Air Blue 80s in the fronts (which is still technically illegal but is so light cops don't see it) and regular metallic 20% in the back and rear windshield. No problems with the nav, so I don't think it's through the back windshield, otherwise the metallic tint would mess with it. The Air Blue 80s do not mess with my phone reception at all when in the front seat.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
i'm about to get tinting done, the company said they use Luminar window tint.. is that a decent brand?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Instructor

It's Llumar (two Ls at the beginning) and it's supposed to be a good brand. But like all manufacturers they sell different types of tint, from cheap to expensive. You want to make sure you get a good type that resists purpling over time, etc. While not an absolute rule, in general you get what you pay for in tinting (both in the quality of film and installation).
Old 10-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by justnspace
I'm in Houston as well.
where did you get your windshield done at?
and what do you do about the inspection/registration stickers?
Sorry, I didn't see your question. I got it done at X-Pert Tint on the 59 South freeway near the beltway. I've had two cars tinted here and a clear bra installed. I'm not sure I would go back though. The previous tints were well done but I think they have less experienced installers now. The windshield has two pieces of lint trapped behind it. Not in the field of view and I didn't feel like taking it back (I had to take the day off to get it done) but they should QA their own work. They once had an exclusive on HO tints in Houston which is why I went to them years ago (they no longer do). I would be open to going somewhere else now.

For the inspection stickers... we just cut the lower left hand corner out so that part is not tinted. I have since replaced my registration sticker without any problem. I don't get an inspection until Jan.

I also had a TxTag for the toll roads on the windshield. This was not recoverable. When you remove it, it is damaged beyond re-use. But I got a replacement (I think it was free) and applied it to the tint and it still works fine. The replacement tag arrived quickly and they updated my account automatically. If you don't have a TxTag they are pretty handy. No long term costs and you can use all the toll roads in Tx, even outside Houston.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 AM
8th Gear

Could you post pics of your tint? I'm in CA as well, and I'm looking for the best front/rear window combo
Originally Posted by FirstTL12
Because of California law, I went with non-tinted windshield, Air Blue 80s in the fronts (which is still technically illegal but is so light cops don't see it) and regular metallic 20% in the back and rear windshield. No problems with the nav, so I don't think it's through the back windshield, otherwise the metallic tint would mess with it. The Air Blue 80s do not mess with my phone reception at all when in the front seat.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I never really knew there were different types of tints. I've always just taken my cars in and told them to do 15% all around. I live in ohio so I really don't need the heat reduction. I just want the tint for 1) appearance and 2) Prevent fading of my interior.

I usually just get the cheapest and it always comes with a lifetime warranty (I really don't know what it covers though, I never owned a car long enough to have problems with tint). Is there anything wrong with getting the cheapest, providing that I know the people at the shop know what they're doing and that their taking care of my car?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Treblig
I believe NAV is thru the rear window.
3G TL, and probably your RL, had the NAV antenna in the rear deck. It is now located under the dash in front of the screen.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nabooly
I never really knew there were different types of tints. I've always just taken my cars in and told them to do 15% all around. I live in ohio so I really don't need the heat reduction. I just want the tint for 1) appearance and 2) Prevent fading of my interior.

I usually just get the cheapest and it always comes with a lifetime warranty (I really don't know what it covers though, I never owned a car long enough to have problems with tint). Is there anything wrong with getting the cheapest, providing that I know the people at the shop know what they're doing and that their taking care of my car?
Same here. I have never known about a difference in tints. However, I've never had color issues or bubbling, and I've been free from the sun beating down on me. I guess I've lucked out so far. Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited by sham; 10-07-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by mcerve
Could you post pics of your tint? I'm in CA as well, and I'm looking for the best front/rear window combo

35% front, and 5% all back windows. I'm in CA too, for last 10 years had tinted all my cars like that and never had any problems with police.
The thing is, don't tint all windows same %, get cops attentions quick.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:04 AM

For the inspection stickers... we just cut the lower left hand corner out so that part is not tinted. I have since replaced my registration sticker without any problem. I don't get an inspection until Jan.

I also had a TxTag for the toll roads on the windshield. This was not recoverable. When you remove it, it is damaged beyond re-use. But I got a replacement (I think it was free) and applied it to the tint and it still works fine. The replacement tag arrived quickly and they updated my account automatically. If you don't have a TxTag they are pretty handy. No long term costs and you can use all the toll roads in Tx, even outside Houston.
Exactly how I was going to tackle this.
have them apply the tint, and then cut out the square for the stickers.

I do have the txtag! I'll have to rip it up and order a new one
Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Instructor

It's in my avatar, and a larger version is in my gallery (I think you can get to it if you click on my profile). It's overcast today and we have stacked parking (mine is in the front so I can't back it out easily) but next time I take it out I'll take another picture.
Originally Posted by shurik74
35% front, and 5% all back windows. I'm in CA too, for last 10 years had tinted all my cars like that and never had any problems with police.
The thing is, don't tint all windows same %, get cops attentions quick.
That's a great point, one I thought about when I went with AB80s vs. 20% in the back. That it would play the "optical illusion" trick on cops, with the back so dark, the front can't possibly be tinted because it's so light.

Little did I know that a week after my tint job I'd get it put to the ultimate test. While waiting for my girlfriend to come out of the tailor's shop, there was a cop parked in the same plaza. He comes over to me while I'm just minding my own business outside of my car and starts asking all sorts of questions about the 2012 TL. Turns out he really liked the 2009-11 loaner that he got from a dealer while his car was in for repairs, but didn't like the beak. Now that they'd scaled back the look, he thought my car was really nice looking. He asked to look around inside and of course I let him, and he didn't comment once on the front window tinting.
The following users liked this post:
mcerve (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by justnspace
Exactly how I was going to tackle this.
have them apply the tint, and then cut out the square for the stickers.

I do have the txtag! I'll have to rip it up and order a new one
I think they cut it out during the templating process, before it went on the inside. It would probably be hard to get down that low on the windshield with a razor. I can take a pic and PM it to you.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Not free. They're $15 each and they just deduct it from your toll account.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

That's a great point, one I thought about when I went with AB80s vs. 20% in the back. That it would play the "optical illusion" trick on cops, with the back so dark, the front can't possibly be tinted because it's so light...
Some of these cops are very good at what they do and will key in on your car because it looks different. However, most are idiots who aren't looking at nice cars like ours anyhow.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the info. If you can post pics, that'd be great. I've tried clicking you avatar and I can't figure out how to get an image larger than a thumbnail.

Just so I'm clear, what % tint did you go with in the front side windows?

Thanks again for the help!
It's in my avatar, and a larger version is in my gallery (I think you can get to it if you click on my profile). It's overcast today and we have stacked parking (mine is in the front so I can't back it out easily) but next time I take it out I'll take another picture.

That's a great point, one I thought about when I went with AB80s vs. 20% in the back. That it would play the "optical illusion" trick on cops, with the back so dark, the front can't possibly be tinted because it's so light.

Little did I know that a week after my tint job I'd get it put to the ultimate test. While waiting for my girlfriend to come out of the tailor's shop, there was a cop parked in the same plaza. He comes over to me while I'm just minding my own business outside of my car and starts asking all sorts of questions about the 2012 TL. Turns out he really liked the 2009-11 loaner that he got from a dealer while his car was in for repairs, but didn't like the beak. Now that they'd scaled back the look, he thought my car was really nice looking. He asked to look around inside and of course I let him, and he didn't comment once on the front window tinting.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the info. If you can post pics, that'd be great. I've tried clicking you avatar and I can't figure out how to get an image larger than a thumbnail.

Just so I'm clear, what % tint did you go with in the front side windows?

Thanks again for the help!
Will try to take a pic later today. Meanwhile, click on my username on the left here, choose View Public Profile. It will take you to that page. on the right of the page should be Albums with a pic of my TL. Click on that, I only have two pics in my album. Click on the car picture to see a larger version.

Air blue 80s in the front come in only one shade, which allows ~80% light transmission, so it's very light. In fact if you didn't compare it to the windshield (which has no tint) you probably wouldn't know I had tint on it.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 AM

I think they cut it out during the templating process, before it went on the inside. It would probably be hard to get down that low on the windshield with a razor. I can take a pic and PM it to you.
Thanks! I saw the PM!

you've answered everything I needed to know and will likely get this done soon!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Some pics of Air Blue 80 front and 20 backs

Attached Thumbnails Is there really different brand of window tints?-image.jpg   Is there really different brand of window tints?-image%5B1%5D.jpg   Is there really different brand of window tints?-image%5B2%5D.jpg  
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

To me the different film on the front and rear looks odd.^ My opinion is use the same shade all around. Here's the Carbon XP 35 on all windows.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
To me the different film on the front and rear looks odd.^ My opinion is use the same shade all around. Here's the Carbon XP 35 on all windows.
I think we all would get the same shade if all tint laws were the same. In CA it's illegal to tint your fronts. Depends on how much $200 means to you. If you want to take a risk and tint em all dark and chance not getting a ticket and having to pull them off, then best of luck to you! For me, I wanted to spend my money once and feel safe about the investment. While I technically could get ticketed, the shade I chose for the fronts (and then the added "illusion" that darker backs make the fronts seem untinted) greatly reduces my chance of getting ticketed for tints.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco

^^ I agree. I like the same tint all around be it 35% or 40%. I went with 40% one the TL and I stayed with the same % on the Maxima so I would not have to worry about being hassled.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM
8th Gear

I agree that I like consistent tint all the way around, but we live in CA where you'll get pulled over for driver-side tint. I don't want to be hassles, but I want some tint. What are my alternatives?

Originally Posted by jspagna1
^^ I agree. I like the same tint all around be it 35% or 40%. I went with 40% one the TL and I stayed with the same % on the Maxima so I would not have to worry about being hassled.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I think we all would get the same shade if all tint laws were the same. In CA it's illegal to tint your fronts. Depends on how much $200 means to you. If you want to take a risk and tint em all dark and chance not getting a ticket and having to pull them off, then best of luck to you! For me, I wanted to spend my money once and feel safe about the investment. While I technically could get ticketed, the shade I chose for the fronts (and then the added "illusion" that darker backs make the fronts seem untinted) greatly reduces my chance of getting ticketed for tints.
These west coast tint laws are so recockulas. They claim officer saftey as the issue. So in reality they don't give a shit about us. I've only had one experience with a roommate who had 5% on his car and the county sherriff hassled him about it. Otherwise here in Portland they look the other way unless you drive a meth-mobile (1972-1986 POS). I see hundreds of tint jobs that are dark as hell. The RDX is way illegal, but the last time I was stopped he didn't blink an eye. I have heard you CA residents are all under the eagle eye of the law for tint violations. Sad, as well as a waste of time and taxpayer money.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Yeah for every story I've heard along the line of "Man I've had my windows limo tinted and never been hassled", I've heard "Damn got ticketed for tints and had to pull them off".

Worst story is my friend who is a pharmaceuticals rep. He drives a very conservative company car (Toyota Camry Hybrid I think) so far from a "meth mobile" which he had tinted because he's on the road 8 hours a day. I don't even think he went limo tint, something like 35 all the way around. Ticketed within a week.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by n-spring
Not free. They're $15 each and they just deduct it from your toll account.
Sorry for the off-topic... It was free for me because I must have been grandfathered and I'm on auto-pay.

I think you must have an EZ-Tag. Those are only good for the Houston area toll roads. I would seriously recommend theTxTag. You pay the same tolls but their terms are much better, especaily if you don't use the toll roads often, and it is good in Austin and San Antonio. I've also seen it at some airport parking lots. http://www.txtag.org/

From TxTag..

"When will TxDOT start charging a tag fee?
Customers who open a new account, or request a replacement tag for an existing TxTag account, and do not enroll AutoPay will be charged $13.85 for a TxTag sticker starting March 19, 2012. Customers that purchase a tag for a new account, or an existing account, and enroll in Autopay will not be charged a tag fee. The tag fee will not be applied retroactively, so customers who already have a tag will not be charged a fee unless they are not enrolled in AutoPay and purchase a new or replacement tag."
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah for every story I've heard along the line of "Man I've had my windows limo tinted and never been hassled", I've heard "Damn got ticketed for tints and had to pull them off".

Worst story is my friend who is a pharmaceuticals rep. He drives a very conservative company car (Toyota Camry Hybrid I think) so far from a "meth mobile" which he had tinted because he's on the road 8 hours a day. I don't even think he went limo tint, something like 35 all the way around. Ticketed within a week.
Another member had the same comment. He was a Bay Area resident. Right now in Oregon 35 is legal on all the windows of a car, but if your vehicle was equipped with tinted rear windows during production, then your vehicle (such as my RDX), it is exempt from the 35% rule on your rear windows only. The front two side windows still fall under the 35% law. However, I matched them at well below legal, 15 or 25%, whatever the tint guy put on the front, for cash under the table.

Portland police generally don't write citations for this, although I know they could.
Sorry for the off-topic... It was free for me because I must have been grandfathered and I'm on auto-pay.

And I thought y'all considered tint a must have law because of the heat down there.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 10-11-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there really different brand of window tints?