Is there a DIY to clear headlights?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a DIY to clear headlights?

I've searched and searched and all I seem to come up with is people getting their headlights cleared by JNC.

Since I haven't received a response from JNC, thought I would give it a shot. All else fails, when he responds, I can just have him fix my fuck up.

Anyone can point me to a DIY step by step on how to open the headlights?

TIA
Old 11-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
No, I don't believe one exists...

My old headlights required about 10-15 minutes in a 200 degree oven. After that the glue/sealant was soft enough that I could pull them apart. From that point on it's pretty self explanatory (as far as getting the guts apart).

Re-sealing involved re-baking them to soften the glue up again as well as adding more (RTV Sealant) and pushing together until all the tabs lined up. This part is really the most important IMO because even the smallest gap or hole will result in condensation inside.

I had issues with my old lights from time to time. I pulled them apart 3-4 times and dealt with condensation one of the times. In addition, I didn't use a high temp spray paint so it actually ended up bubbling from the FL heat. Due to these issues I'm very hesitant to mess with my 4G headlights.

Good luck if you decide to DIY. The above steps are really just a guideline since I have no experience with the 4G headlights.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by KaleZ
I've searched and searched and all I seem to come up with is people getting their headlights cleared by JNC.

Since I haven't received a response from JNC, thought I would give it a shot. All else fails, when he responds, I can just have him fix my fuck up.

Anyone can point me to a DIY step by step on how to open the headlights?

TIA
You can do it at home but its a pain. I recently baked apart my headlights to fix my halos and you do it at 200C for 10-15 minutes. You can get some butyl sealant or reheat the factory sealant to reseal them. Remember to take out all the bulbs, I left my HID ballasts in though.

Just follow the front bumper removal steps and the headlights come out fairly easily.

To clear the headlight you remove the amber lens. I would put some new projector lenses while your in there. TSX-R or another clear lens.

If you need more info let me know

Last edited by gibbyisgibby; 11-07-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
i did it on mine.. very simple. i dont even need oven.

locals around our area.. jlclighting and member paperboy does it for around 125 or so.. way cheaper than what jnc is charging.

if your local, id do it for you for cheap.. it really only involves opening up and using autozone paint to black it out.. dont need to pay $300+ for a job like that..
Old 11-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by potmilkz

locals around our area.. jlclighting and member paperboy does it for around 125 or so.. way cheaper than what jnc is charging.

if your local, id do it for you for cheap.. it really only involves opening up and using autozone paint to black it out.. dont need to pay $300+ for a job like that..
Unfortunately, I am not local. I am up in Minnesota. My concern is sealing them back up, since we have humid summers and snowy winters here.

Originally Posted by gibbyisgibby
You can do it at home but its a pain. I recently baked apart my headlights to fix my halos and you do it at 200C for 10-15 minutes. You can get some butyl sealant or reheat the factory sealant to reseal them. Remember to take out all the bulbs, I left my HID ballasts in though.

Just follow the front bumper removal steps and the headlights come out fairly easily.

To clear the headlight you remove the amber lens. I would put some new projector lenses while your in there. TSX-R or another clear lens.

If you need more info let me know
Where can you get Butyl sealant, Oreillys? Is that a better lens than the one that's currently in my 2012? Can I just order the TSX-R projector lens from the acura dealer?

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
No, I don't believe one exists...

My old headlights required about 10-15 minutes in a 200 degree oven. After that the glue/sealant was soft enough that I could pull them apart. From that point on it's pretty self explanatory (as far as getting the guts apart).

Re-sealing involved re-baking them to soften the glue up again as well as adding more (RTV Sealant) and pushing together until all the tabs lined up. This part is really the most important IMO because even the smallest gap or hole will result in condensation inside.

I had issues with my old lights from time to time. I pulled them apart 3-4 times and dealt with condensation one of the times. In addition, I didn't use a high temp spray paint so it actually ended up bubbling from the FL heat. Due to these issues I'm very hesitant to mess with my 4G headlights.

Good luck if you decide to DIY. The above steps are really just a guideline since I have no experience with the 4G headlights.
Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to use high temp paint. I'll give it a shot and maybe create a DIY on it.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
About that.. there is a point of no return, I'd sit tight if I were you. Those headlights cost 800 a pop. Others can do it as well but the only person I really trust on this is JnC.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz

What's "cheap"?. I want my headlights blacked out!! As soon as I find some time..lol
Old 11-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Racer

Where can you get Butyl sealant, Oreillys? Is that a better lens than the one that's currently in my 2012? Can I just order the TSX-R projector lens from the acura dealer?
Acutally everyone says the nissan butyl tape is the best stuff around, it like oem seal. Mine had so much sealant already because they had been previously opened that I just heated up what was already there, it was really messy lol. The "R" in TSX-R is for replica so its an aftermarket lens, its much better than whats in the TL currently. The place to get these things is the retrofit source.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=135

The only beef I have with the TSX-R lens is the fllicker is yellow/red ish making it not look too exotic, but they increase your output something like 20%.

I would try these if I had to do it again:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=25696
Old 11-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I can't be the only person on here who didn't know what "flicker" meant, so here...

The only beef I have with the TSX-R lens is the fllicker is yellow/red ish making it not look too exotic
That's weird, the links you posted show the same flicker for both lenses (blue/aqua/purple).

Last edited by ucf_bronco; 11-08-2013 at 12:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gibbyisgibby (11-09-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 PM

something so significant.. i wouldnt worry about it as long as its bright and has a sharp cut off.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:16 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Many members have been looking, but there is no DIY instructions for clearing 4G TL headlights.

Rather than screwing up an expensive headlight unit, let Jnc tackle the job.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Intermediate

Acutally everyone says the nissan butyl tape is the best stuff around, it like oem seal. Mine had so much sealant already because they had been previously opened that I just heated up what was already there, it was really messy lol. The "R" in TSX-R is for replica so its an aftermarket lens, its much better than whats in the TL currently. The place to get these things is the retrofit source.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=135

The only beef I have with the TSX-R lens is the fllicker is yellow/red ish making it not look too exotic, but they increase your output something like 20%.

I would try these if I had to do it again:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=25696
Where can you purchase Butyl Tape?

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Many members have been looking, but there is no DIY instructions for clearing 4G TL headlights.

Rather than screwing up an expensive headlight unit, let Jnc tackle the job.
The only problem is that JNC has not answered my PM. He must be busy. I am also concerned that if I send my headlights to him, I will be without a vehicle for a couple of weeks.

I guess I will try to tackle this job myself soon.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KaleZ
Where can you purchase Butyl Tape?
Its hard to find, usually people get it off ebay, this is a similar product that should work as good:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=792
The following 2 users liked this post by gibbyisgibby:
KaleZ (11-09-2013), ucf_bronco (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Well, I've opened and blacked out both my 4th gen accord (glass) and my 03 Altima (plastic)...so, I'm not too hesitant to crack open the TL's lights (as soon as I have enough time/downtime to black them out too. Only key I would say is to not get the glue/sealant on the plastic when taking them apart or putting them back together. Oh, and make sure you use some high-temp sealant (dow-corning or some other weather durable silicone/sealant).
Old 11-10-2013, 09:25 PM

^^ oem nissan butyl sealant is the best imo.. dont use home depo shit.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
^^^ maybe I'll try it next time, but I NEVER have used OEM Nissan butyl sealant...I can't even remember the silicone I used for my Altima's lights...but here we are in 2013 and the lights have never had an issue with leaks nor condensation. I guess it also depends on your knowledge, skills and abilities to do things in the mechanical/engineering field...as a Heavy Mobile Mechanic for the DoD for the past 10 yrs...I know how to use my tools and materials and how to prep for the use of my sealants.

ijs