Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Test drove two TLs today, questions and comments

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 05:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Test drove two TLs today, questions and comments

I drove two TLs today, a '13 FWD auto and a '12 SHAWD manual. Much to my surprise, I preferred the automatic! Honestly, that has to be one of the best automatic transmissions I've ever driven. I should probably mention that ALL MY CARS SINCE 1987 have been manual transmission. Now that I live in the DC area with tons of traffic and congestion I'm tired of clutching all the time. I don't even like it in my Saab.

Anyhow, great car. I need to get one. Unfortunately, the one I liked ('13 FWD auto w/ tech pkg) may have some issues. The Carfax says two things I'm concerned about:

1. The Takata airbag hasn't been replaced yet.
2. "Accident reported
Vehicle involved in a rear-end collision
Involving rear impact
Very minor rear end damage reported
Airbags did not deploy"

Now I don't know if that means the car was rear ended or if it hit another car in front of it. I'm thinking it was the latter. When I checked under the hood, the shrouding has clearly been taken on/off a few times. Several of the plastic push pins were missing. Even worse, the hood liner looked like it had been sprayed with coolant? I'll try to upload a pic below.

Beyond the Carfax, I think the car needs new brake rotors as the pedal vibrates under heavy braking. The driver side fog light is also chipped. The front digital display was stuck on "Customize Settings" and I didn't take the time to figure it out as I was off to drive the other car before thunderstorms hit our area.

All that being said, I thought the car rode wonderfully and was a joy to drive. I don't find many cars that I like more than my Saab. I'd love to have it parked in my driveway but the accident thing has me worried. I don't want things to start rattling around a few years down the road and I've found that accidents tend to make cars more prone to that.

Anyhow, I guess I'll keep looking. The dealer (100% used car lot) wants almost $16k for the car which given the history seems a bit steep for me. It also has 54k miles.

Here's a picture of the hood. What's the brown / beige stuff in the hood liner? Is it dried coolant spray?

Old 06-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
If you're patient, look hard and are willing to got outside your local radius, you can find a TL that's in much better shape and with a clean history. I would not consider the one you're describing. That being said, I'm quite anal about my cars and have very low tolerance for flaws, poor maintenance or sketchy details when I'm purchasing.
The following users liked this post:
marvinmartian (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:27 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you shouldn't be worried about sprayed coolant. the reservoir cap IS PLASTIC. and over time can crack, which leads to coolant being sprayed...with that being said...the underside of the hood DOES NOT LOOK like it has been sprayed with coolant. Coolant is blue and when it dries on plastic turns white. the color on the underside of the hood is brown. which indicates dirt. looks like dirty water
Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 649 Likes on 349 Posts
looks more like filthy pollen
justnspace (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:00 AM

also, when the carfax says rearended, i believe it means your car was rear ended
Old 06-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
also, when the carfax says rearended, i believe it means your car was rear ended
Are you sure?

OP - I'd probably keep looking. As for the accident, was it recent? I tend to forgive if an accident happens 2, 3 years ago and the car is still in great shape. I'd look at private party or Acura dealer lots. The cars seem to be in better shape than typical used car lots.

I actually really like the automatic trans on this car too!

Last edited by hadokenuh; 06-20-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Are you sure?

OP - I'd probably keep looking. As for the accident, was it recent? I tend to forgive if an accident happens 2, 3 years ago and the car is still in great shape. I'd look at private party or Acura dealer lots. The cars seem to be in better shape than typical used car lots.

Justnspace is correct. The info would not describe where the subject car contacted other cars, but rather where the impact was on the subject car. It was rear-ended.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:29 AM

depends on how handy OP is. if OP doesnt mind getting dirty, he could fix those minor issues and have a great car!
however, if OP wants to get in and drive without trying to fix anything, he should pass this one and grab a cleaner example
Old 06-20-2017, 11:50 AM
Cruisin'

Good points

Interesting. Ok, thanks. I'm not sure why the hood liner looks like that. The car may have in fact been rear ended and not hit anyone. It seemed quite clean inside and drove well. But a clean inside is something a used car lot can get done.

I did really like the car. It was being listed for $16k and I offered $14.5 thinking the guy would get back to me with a counter. Nope. Carfax shows its been for sale since November of last year. Yeah, I wanted a really good deal. He's got hundreds of cars on his lot so I suppose he can afford to keep this one there until he gets his price.

The other thing is, this dealer has quite a few reviews of selling cars that experience problems shortly after the sale. Both the BBB and Yelp reviews are littered with this stuff. That and the "Spot Delivery Scam." That wouldn't have affected me since I'd be paying cash, but still. I feel like the place is a front for something. So sadly, I guess I have to keep looking. For some odd reason, the gray exterior + tan interior really got me. I'm not even considering other color combos.

So it goes. Glad to see this group is so active.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

depends on how handy OP is. if OP doesnt mind getting dirty, he could fix those minor issues and have a great car!
however, if OP wants to get in and drive without trying to fix anything, he should pass this one and grab a cleaner example
I fix everything. What I can't fix, I 3d print. :-)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:52 AM
Cruisin'

Are you sure?

Yeah, the accident was a few years back. Hmmm.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by marvinmartian
I fix everything. What I can't fix, I 3d print. :-)
go inspect those brakes! you could potentially knock off more money from the deal if you find the brakes in shoddy condition.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Cruisin'

go inspect those brakes! you could potentially knock off more money from the deal if you find the brakes in shoddy condition.
I did. It need rotors. They said they would fix the rotors. Then I read several reviews online where they told other people the same thing, only to learn that nothing was fixed come "sale day." The standard line was apparently "Our mechanic looked at them and said the rotors are fine." I've done brakes + rotors before. I'd rather not do them again as I'm old, creaky and easily annoyed now.

Either way, the dealership doesn't seem so interested in getting my business which violates my primary rule of doing business with anyone.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:14 PM

da fuck, you just said you would fix anything, and if you couldnt you'd 3d print. 3D print some rotors, man!!
Old 06-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Cruisin'

da fuck, you just said you would fix anything, and if you couldnt you'd 3d print. 3D print some rotors, man!!
Yeah, I know you're right. If he met my price I'd consider doing the rotors. I just prefer not to fix things out in the hot weather anymore. I spent half a day rebuilding my wiper motor + wiper tranny this past weekend in 90 degree heat. If I had an AC garage with a lift that would be another story. TBH that's a factor in the next house we buy.
justnspace (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:19 PM

I love wrenching! but not on my back in 200 degree weather.

Marvin, you're alright in my book!
Old 06-20-2017, 08:09 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My '13 TL's rotors have warped twice now. Seems to be a theme on this car.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by grandlaker
It's been a common theme with nearly every Honda and Acura I've owned. The OEM rotors SUCK. I've replaced them with Brembo's and Centric which I've never had warp on me. Not saying they couldn't if you ran through a massive puddle after going down a big hill and heating the brakes up, but I've never encountered any problems with them.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What's odd is my '01 TL which now has almost 300K miles is on original rotors and have never been turned and smooth as glass.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
I'd keep looking. I only buy used cars from the original dealer who sold it new and has a documented service history or a private party original owner who was meticulous and has records. I know I pay a bit more at the front end. I have found it still pays off over time. I paid somewhere around $28,000 for my TL two years ago with 20,000 miiles on the odometer and have put 30K mikes on it since. My rotors vibrated too and rather than trying to have them turn already too thin rotors, I went to NAPA and and bought a set of their premium rotors and pads. The OEM rotors blow and with aftermarket, you get what you pay for. It cost me $300 for the premium NAPA set ($75 for each corner for the pads and rotors) - best money I spent. I also put tires on it (Michelin Premiers) at about 35K and they're fantastic all season tires. I'd personally look at Acura dealers for a nice local lease turn in, nothing that came in from an auction or used car lot. As I said, you'll pay a bit more but they are usually willing to negotiate to move inventory. Glad you like the TL, I love mine!

Last edited by WNY PAT; 06-25-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grandlaker
Yep, another '13 TL here with warped rotors. Mine warped around 20k miles. Honda OEM rotors are junk.